Make Guild Wars a true Guild Wars

Good day all,

First this is not a criticism, I enjoy every game mode, but this game is lacking a good GvG mode and there's not a real incentive to join a certain guild.

The idea is:

• Once a week a big map, like a WvW map opens and Guilds must choose up 10 to 20 players max to join it. Everyone else is an enemy.
  • There is a time limit of 1 or 2 hours on that mode and when the time is up the map is blocked/frozen.
  • The goal would be to control certain areas or even to build facilities(lumber mills, mining stations, fishing ports, ...) on certain locations, or just build them anywhere, and if you manage to maintain control or if you avoid the facility being destroyed you will get tons of materials from there the next week.

I believe that despite being a competitive mode players would want to participate and maybe even through "diplomacy" more casual players would be able to 'farm' or enjoy it.

Anyway, this seems good to me but I would like to know what you guys think of it,

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 12
  • Sad 2

my implementation of guild wars would be guild meta events. one guild can take one side and another guild takes another to complete some objective or string of objectives with narrative elements. you could also have randoms join in as 'militia' for either side. these events would probably have to be on demand rather than on a timer though so guilds can set up appointed dates.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Aren’t you just describing what WvW is perfectly able to emulate, albeit without the 1 or 2 hours limit ? 

edit: A Guild wars GvG for the new pvp game mode would be perfect imo

Edited by flog.3485
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Inssengrimm.7924 said:

You know the Guild Wars are part of the lore and are not related at all to player guilds right? 

And there were 3 of them.

And the third ended with the starting event of Prophecies. Yes, The Searing. 

Most people do not know that because "The Guild Wars" were only referenced, like, ONCE in the game and I think it was the cutscene with the Searing. After that I don't think GUILDS were ever mentioned again. It's just the refugees to Kryta, then treking through Orr with the Mantle, and then off to the giant litterbox to beat yourself up and get stomped by Glint because she doesn't love humans yet...or you tried to take Aurene too early, definitely one or the other.

I can't fault people for not knowing about the actual Guild Wars. I bet half the veterans from GW1 don't know about them. BUT, for those lorekeepers out there: The Guild Wars!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Testa.3675 said:

this game is lacking a good GvG mode

The community got the arena at Obsidian Sanctum to clear out from WvW maps, and after they complained enough because of "the trolls that show there" you got the Guild Halls to get private instances for the GvG matches.

If you are still complaining about the lack of interest, there's your problem, lack of interest, the only thing Anet could do is bait a new game mode with rewards so a lot of people that don't wanna be there go there for those rewards and then you'll just complain about that as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

ignoreing the fact that the title refers to an event from lore, this game is already intensely guild-based and you can't do very much without a guild. this is even moreso after world restructuring in wvw which has made it entirely driven by guilds (although it mostly always was), and pretty much every fight is gvg now.

we also got guild halls for private gvg with an extremely customiseable environment and even mount battles.

i feel at this point the game is about as "guild wars" as it can get?

Edited by SoftFootpaws.9134
  • Like 3

On 6/16/2024 at 5:23 AM, Inssengrimm.7924 said:

You know the Guild Wars are part of the lore and are not related at all to player guilds right? 

With EDs gone, it would be prime moment for relations to deteriorate, and 4th Guild War to erupt 😉

• Sad 1

On 6/15/2024 at 4:08 PM, Testa.3675 said:

this game is lacking a good GvG mode

The new world restructure & upcoming alliance system is going to be more guild wars than anything could be guil wars.

The only thing they could better, was maybe provide a monthly 10v10 tournament for wvw mode. <- But even something like that, does not quite capture the politics & everything else involved in what wvw has now become.

Edited by Trevor Boyer.6524
  • Confused 6

Posted (edited)
On 6/16/2024 at 3:23 AM, Inssengrimm.7924 said:

Yes I know its not meant to be literal but I believe some people feel like there's something missing, imo WvW are a bit chaotic and usually the comm that can muster more numbers or use them more efficiently wins. That is why I believe there should be a limited number of players by "team"

On 6/16/2024 at 3:47 PM, flog.3485 said:

Aren’t you just describing what WvW is perfectly able to emulate, albeit without the 1 or 2 hours limit ? 

edit: A Guild wars GvG for the new pvp game mode would be perfect imo

I believe that main difference like I said above is the number limit, making quality>quantity (i know its not always the case ive seen small guild parties take out great numbers). But if other guilds practiced it it could become a fun mode

Edited by Testa.3675
  • Confused 2

On 6/15/2024 at 11:23 PM, Inssengrimm.7924 said:

To be fair, the game was originally about guilds waring (gvg) and a lot of its elements it's always had, were based on that, but Guild Wars became a bit more than just PvP at some point in development and they expanded the name into having lore.

Edited by JusticeRetroHunter.7684
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Burnfall.9573 said:

Leave that to Throne and Liberty. It is being called the next Guild Wars (1)

According to NCSoft's statement on an analyst call some time ago, Anet's know-how and experience will be used in Throne and Liberty, but it is a completely different game (I played the last beta) and certainly not a successor to Guild Wars or Guild Wars 2. 

BTW: There is no Guild Wars 1, it's just Guild Wars.