Extracting a Superior Rune from an Aqua Breather

Double-click, then select an item in your inventory to salvage for crafting materials. 100% chance of recovering upgrades (excluding infusions). 50% chance to get rarer materials.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Salvage_Kit

Black Lion Salvage Kits are available for 50 Atral Acclaim limited at 3 per season.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

4 hours ago, APrincessOfAlot.4735 said:

Any suggestions on extracting a Superior Rune from a Green Aqua Breather....trying to use an Upgrade Extractor, but it will not let me drag the item into the extractor.....6g Rune added accidently to a green Item...thanks for any help!

There are equipment items that cannot be salvaged and that also cannot have their upgrades extracted, like the stuff you receive with a Level 80 boost. So it's always wise to check before applying anything to such equipment.

• Confused 1

If this can't be salvaged (which happens for some items for reasons) then obviously the Black Lion Salvage Kit won't work. (I would have recommended that as well if it worked ... cause a green breather item should be cheap to replace.)

Seems likt the extractors then also do not work on such non-salvageable items? (Though they should.) Something  probably not mentioned in game and a rare case that you only know when you encounter it (should not happen often) or read the wiki (mabye it is mentioned there). Could be annoying for new players where 6g is still a lot.

Maybe they should re-check if it isn't possible to make the extractors work on everything that has upgrades. Wiki page though ... says it works on soulbound stuff and non-salvageable stuff: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Upgrade_Extractor

Also the text says "any item". Should be a bug then. Support should help. Level 80 boost stuff seems to be the only exception listed in the wiki. The question is: Is it listed in the lvl. 80 item description or when you use the boost - that extractors don't work on those items? (If not ... then they need to rework this.) Probably to prevent people from removing upgrades that come with those "free" items - to then sell them. Maybe they could rework this. The runes do not seem too expensive and the boost itself costs a lot ... so it would not be to harmful to allow the extractor on this I guess?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Thank you Luthan, it is soul bound to the character I am trying....I think I will do as suggested and make a ticket regarding a possible bug and see what they have to say.....thought possibly that because it was a green item OR that it was just an Aqua Breather,  that the extractor just might not work.  Could care less about the breather itself, just the Rune which I just on many characters.  My husband is experiencing the same thing on one of his items, trying to recover the rune.  Thanks again!

• Confused 1

Ah I missed that the item is not salvage-able, yes some items (especially leveling rewards pr WvW items) can not be salvaged.

Short note: unless you are slotting runes/sigils into legendary items, 1 rune/sigil can only go in 1 item, so unsure what you might mean with using the Rune on many characters.

The rune, Superior Rune of the Warrior,  is a 6g rune and placed on that breather accidently.  The Masterwork Metal Aquabreather, was purchased through a Karma Vendor so was not a leveling reward nor WvW item, which are normally Ascended items....also can not salvage it using Black Lion Salvage kit....and yes, my legendary items is where I place these runes.  Thanks for all your help...think I will report and see what they have to say! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, costepj.5120 said:

Items purchased from karma vendors are rarely, if ever, salvageable. So not a bug.

Exactly.

@APrincessOfAlot.4735, as I stated in my initial response, there are certain items that are not salvageable and whose upgrades cannot be removed. To avoid this from happening again in the future, it is wise to double-click a salvage kit and hover the mouse pointer over the item - if it turns red, it cannot be salvaged and therefore its upgrades also cannot be retrieved.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

Exactly.

@APrincessOfAlot.4735, as I stated in my initial response, there are certain items that are not salvageable and whose upgrades cannot be removed. To avoid this from happening again in the future, it is wise to double-click a salvage kit and hover the mouse pointer over the item - if it turns red, it cannot be salvaged and therefore its upgrades also cannot be retrieved.

Actually, that's no longer needed as it's indicated on the tooltip if it's salvagable and what type of salvage is possible (standard, ascended, research)

• Like 2

Hmmm, are you sure it was a karma item?  The karma items I have can not be salvaged but upgrades can be extracted from them.  I would suspect it was the level 80 aqua breather from the 80 boost.  Not that this changes your situation in any way, of course.  But I usually toss all the items from boosts immediately so that this does not happen - started doing this after losing a set of scholar runes :(

• Like 3

On 7/20/2024 at 1:05 PM, costepj.5120 said:

Items purchased from karma vendors are rarely, if ever, salvageable. So not a bug.

They are typically extractable though.

From the L80 boost is neither salvageable nor extractable.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1