Honestly, the focus on tournaments was strange

This gamemode has a lot of problems, and finally got an update after YEARS (apart from the balance patches)

But the focus on tournaments was strange, when we have problems way worse.

The big elephant in the room, the matchmaking,  and no "it's okay because population is small" is NOT an excuse, there are many problems tied to this part of the PvP that just makes this gamemode unfun.

And there are a lot of GOOD suggests on this forum to make this gamemode more enjoyable.

Edited by Zekent.3652
"Weird" sounds rude in english (i'm not a native english speaker so sometimes i just forget this)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 4

• Zekent.3652 changed the title to Honestly, the focus on tournaments was strange

I do not understand why any PvP gets any dev time at all. They are literally paying people to work on a game mode that is only played by a few people using it as their own personal RMT business revenue stream.

That's just pvp by it self...however, Tournaments are 100% monetized RMT trash, no one can deny it. This is wasting dev time on something only RMT benefits from, wtf?

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

I do not understand why any PvP gets any dev time at all. They are literally paying people to work on a game mode that is only played by a few people using it as their own personal RMT business revenue stream.

That's just pvp by its elf...however, Tournaments are 100% monetized RMT trash, no one can deny it. This is wasting dev time only RMT benefits from, wtf?

PvP resources has always been allocated from their "advertisement funds" according to one of the devs, years ago. That statement was made around the time they denounced the international pvp tournaments overseas. We're honestly fortunate to get pvp updates at all.

Some titles may be gatekept but AT's isn't... at least not in the same way as Seasons are. There just isn't any real competition. Just a couple teams on NA & EU.

GW2 PvP isn't this Doom and Gloom that players are making it out to be...not every single game you are in is a match manip. Sometimes (most of the time) you just have really bad, newish players, on the team that seem like they're throwing but they're just bad lol.

• Confused 5

1 hour ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

That's just pvp by its elf...however, Tournaments are 100% monetized RMT trash, no one can deny it. This is wasting dev time only RMT benefits from, wtf?

we get it you do pve and coming now on pvp forums.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

we get it you do pve and coming now on pvp forums.

No, I'm a PvP player.

This games PvP has been dead for a long, long, long time.

The players admit to it, yet Anet won't. Anet keeps stringing along new players by marketing that this game has PvP, when it doesn't. It has WvW and PvE.

The only people playing PvP are bots and RMT using it to sell titles and ratings.

Edited by Kozumi.5816
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

No, I'm a PvP player.

This games PvP has been dead for a long, long, long time.

The players admit to it, yet Anet won't. Anet keeps stringing along new players by marketing that this game has PvP, when it doesn't. It has WvW and PvE.

The only people playing PvP are bots and RMT using it to sell titles and ratings.

11 minutes ago, Marxx.5021 said:

Its not about PvP. It is to sell the next expansion also to PvP player pretending its not a dead game mode.

Well eitherway, they're now paykng some attention, so enjoy it and try to get as much out of it while it lasts

18 minutes ago, Kozumi.5816 said:

No, I'm a PvP player.

These 2 sentences you say here, were not well thought out before writing it🫤.

You play pvp but yet write that 2nd one 

• Thanks 1

considering 98% of forum's talk is about ranked, it's quite weird they focus on something that really few ppl from an already very small community plays, and on top of it you gotta be online on specific time to play and have a potential 1h to play it

But I guess reddit is more of an official forum than this one.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, arazoth.7290 said:

These 2 sentences you say here, were not well thought out before writing it🫤.

You play pvp but yet write that 2nd one 

We're all bots unless we win win win!

• Haha 1

On 7/22/2024 at 8:55 AM, arazoth.7290 said:

So the best programmers who made the best bots won, AI on the rise competing against each other!!!

AI is taking all the good pvp jobs. It's time to add Universal Basic Income to pvp before GW2 experiences a societal collapse!

• Thanks 1

On 7/20/2024 at 5:09 PM, Saiyan.1704 said:

PvP resources has always been allocated from their "advertisement funds" according to one of the devs, years ago. That statement was made around the time they denounced the international pvp tournaments overseas. We're honestly fortunate to get pvp updates at all.

Some titles may be gatekept but AT's isn't... at least not in the same way as Seasons are. There just isn't any real competition. Just a couple teams on NA & EU.

GW2 PvP isn't this Doom and Gloom that players are making it out to be...not every single game you are in is a match manip. Sometimes (most of the time) you just have really bad, newish players, on the team that seem like they're throwing but they're just bad lol.

Man I was in a game... and we won mid.  Then I ran to home and got the guy who'd died first on their team and predictably crossed.  I down him and watch in horrified fascination as the other 4 people on my team (already half way to home) proceed to continue to home and 5 cap it with me.   

So I write... dudes... why did all 4 leave mid to help me finish one downed engi... they now have it capped.   The dude writes Please Do Not Be Toxic (I google translated the Spanish).   I am like the least toxic dude... and if telling these guys that they don't all need to stand on home with me is toxic... man are they in for a surprise.

I think you're completely right, the focus on tournaments was very strange.

Bigger issues, besides the poor matchmaking you mentioned, are the frequency of afk players that seem to go unpunished (and who knows whether reporting them leads to any action), and then the players that deliberately throw the game. You'll be amazed how often I've encountered this, it's like I am personally being targeted! Then there's the toxicity too, although I'm not sure what can be done there, and I've somewhat accepted it as part and parcel of the internet.

The removal of daily ATs at off peak times was also strange to me. People can't help it if they are restricted to playing the game at those times, for whatever reason (family, work, timezone/location, etc). It feels like a form of discrimination to me.

Now, having daily ATs, weekly ATs, 2 monthly ATs, and bi-annual ATs just seems overwhelming as both a PvP player and someone who likes to watch the MAT streams. I don't have time to participate/watch or keep track of all these ATs! I think a better system would be:
- scrap daily ATs entirely, they feel rather meaningless to be entirely honest
- replace the monthly AT with one major AT every quarter.
- keep the weekly ATs, which people would use to earn qualification points and practice for the quarterly AT. And since they are not as frequent as daily ATs, they would feel more meaningful and perhaps entice some Anet partners to stream/observe these.

I also think you can combine this cadence really well with the quarterly expansion updates. So when a quarterly expansion update drops, that could also mark the start of a new PvP season. Players interested in the ATs can begin participating in the weekly ATs. At the end of the season (about a week or two before the next quarterly expansion update), the quarterly AT takes place. Then you have one or two weeks of off-season/downtime, where Anet can implement PvP balance changes, as well the 2v2/3v3 season, then the process repeats itself a week or two later when the new expansion update drops.. I think it would get PvP mains hyped for expansions, because besides new weapons and relics, the expansion cadence feels rather irrelevant right now, since the PvP seasons and tournaments follow their own schedule.

As for the 2v2/3v3 ATs, I don't know how popular they are or would be, but you could include them on the same weekend as the 5v5 weekly ATs, and have them precede the 5v5 quarterly AT (on the same day).

The idea is to have quarterly ATs as major events - just four days during the entire year - that PvP fans can dedicate to following/participating, wherever they are located. And, of course, hopefully the Anet partners / GW2 streamers join in and hype it up.

This kind of cadence would synergise just so well.. One can dream, right? That Anet can avoid treating PvP as an entirely separate and disjointed game mode?

On 7/20/2024 at 10:19 AM, Zekent.3652 said:

The big elephant in the room, the matchmaking,  and no "it's okay because population is small" is NOT an excuse, there are many problems tied to this part of the PvP that just makes this gamemode unfun.

The focus on tournaments was strange because the population is small.

If I were the devs, I'd be devoting my effort to introducing regular players to PvP in a more fun learning environment. I mean putting a big FFA arena in Lion's Arch, or the new maps, or putting player-like mobs around so people learn how to fight better and not get totally rekt when they enter PvP or WvW.

Or I'd be looking to do more frequent balance passes, making the skills that PvE-ers are familiar with a little more viable in PvP.

But I'm not the devs, so instead there are tournaments. Okay..

On 7/20/2024 at 2:54 PM, Kozumi.5816 said:

That's just pvp by it self...however, Tournaments are 100% monetized RMT trash, no one can deny it. This is wasting dev time on something only RMT benefits from, wtf?

Well, PvP is still a good way to promote the game, this combat system is great, despite its bad things these days.

And for streamers, i think PvP is just better and more entertaining, at least for me, and as someone that plays all 3 gamemodes, i get really bored whenever a streamer goes to raids or just PvE, unless it's someone who really knows how to gather your attention with some charm, talk, etc. I think watching PvP streams are is better than PvE.

This gamemode didn't died for "natural causes" tho, the old ANet killed it with a terrible management, they heard to the "meeeh i don't understand it i want muh living world update" crowd.