Homestead - don't make us physically park alts inside the homestead

@Anet: regarding the feature of alts inside your homestead:

I wish we don't have to physically park alts in the homestead. Now we'll have to give up valuable parking alts spots to make use of this cool feature where you can show off your alts and make them follow you around. If this doesn't get changed, this feature is Dead On Arrival to me (and I presume many alt parking spot fans). If only we could just clone an alt and make them live within our homestead so we can still park alts wherever we want in Tyria, it would actually be a feature that is fun and usable at the same time. There is no gained benefit from having an alt parked in your homestead, so why not let us clone alts inside homesteads so we can actually enjoy them?
Edited by Akarat.7106
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 17
  • Sad 1

Several points. You don't have to park your alt in homestead, it's optional. There will be the standard 'return to previous map' option all the other places have, so no lost parking spots. And there is a gained benefit from parking in your homestead. I'm not sure if we know what it is exactly, but I imagine it's the same as parking in arborstone or wt . . .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Gop.8713 said:

Several points. You don't have to park your alt in homestead, it's optional. There will be the standard 'return to previous map' option all the other places have, so no lost parking spots. And there is a gained benefit from parking in your homestead. I'm not sure if we know what it is exactly, but I imagine it's the same as parking in arborstone or wt . . .

We do know what it is as said in todays article.

So yea exactly like sitting in chair wt or arborstone.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/homestead-essentials-living-in-janthir-wilds/

if you log out and log back in to your homestead to take advantage of the homestead’s resting bonus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

The chair bonus and the arborstone/wt bonus are not the same tho, and the article doesn't specify what the homestead bonus will be. I'd imagine it's the same as arborstone/wt tho, as mentioned ; )

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gop.8713 said:

The chair bonus and the arborstone/wt bonus are not the same tho, and the article doesn't specify what the homestead bonus will be. I'd imagine it's the same as arborstone/wt tho, as mentioned ; )

So your saying you can have both chair bonus and arborstone bonus?

• Confused 1

No, but I am saying that 5% and 25% are not the same thing. I'm also saying that the homestead resting bonus has not been specified, could be anything, doesn't even have to be an xp bonus. And I am also saying that the arborstone/wt bonus is the one I imagine we're most likely to see from homesteads . . .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Akarat.7106 said:
@Anet: regarding the feature of alts inside your homestead:

I wish we don't have to physically park alts in the homestead. Now we'll have to give up valuable parking alts spots to make use of this cool feature where you can show off your alts and make them follow you around. If this doesn't get changed, this feature is Dead On Arrival to me (and I presume many alt parking spot fans). If only we could just clone an alt and make them live within our homestead so we can still park alts wherever we want in Tyria, it would actually be a feature that is fun and usable at the same time. There is no gained benefit from having an alt parked in your homestead, so why not let us clone alts inside homesteads so we can actually enjoy them?

The homestead will have the same 'return to previous map' function as the Heart of the Mists and lounge areas, so you can do both. Get them to the spot where you want to park them, then go to your homestead, and next time you want to farm whatever they were camped at you just use the 'leave instance' button to go back there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

No, but I am saying that 5% and 25% are not the same thing. I'm also saying that the homestead resting bonus has not been specified, could be anything, doesn't even have to be an xp bonus. And I am also saying that the arborstone/wt bonus is the one I imagine we're most likely to see from homesteads . . .

I admit I thought they were the same % thats how much I have bothered with either.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I agree with this.

I don’t see any real benefit to Arenanet or players in requiring alts to be parked in the homestead for them to be displayed there.

The resting bonus is nice for those who want to use it but it isn’t worth it to me when the system would double the amount of loading screens for alts parked in other places.

Basically I don’t see any reason to require alts to be parked in the homestead for them to show up there.

• Like 4
  • Confused 6

46 minutes ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

Well, everything has it's price. I like the idea of actually leaving my characters in homestead.

If you really need alts parked somewhere in Tyria to open worthless chests with 3silver profit per day — it's your problem.

I would agree it should have a “price” if we got some value out of having alts appear as npcs, but there isn’t. And nothing prevents you from leaving your alts parked there without making it a requirement for the npc appearances.

As a side note, the most common alt chests have substantially higher profit than 3s. Now is your chance to invest 😉

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

Counterpoint: I like that you have to park alts in your homestead for them to appear there, and it would irritate me if they all appeared by default. I have several alts from my early days who sit rotting on the login screen, only existing as bank characters which I don't delete because of their age. I wouldn't want them to show up in my homestead, whereas some of the characters I actively play and have invested hours in, I might. As others have said, you aren't losing an alt parking spot, you just have to sit through an extra loading screen to get back to it if you want them to be there.

Alts in your homestead is (from what we know so far) a purely cosmetic thing, with no gameplay benefit, so you could also just make a choice between min-maxing your profitability by parking all your alts, or showing off your characters.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

I just really wish that before people started bashing something they would do their homework so that they know what they are talking about.

You are NOT required to park your alts in your Homestead. If you do put them there before you log out then when you log back in you can choose to leave the Homestead and it will put you back where you were. Basically you can get benefits from 2 places. Farm the place where your alt is parked then take it to your Homestead to get whatever the boost is for being parked there then when you leave just *poof* back to your parked spot. Really people, read things and get your info before you complain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 6

4 minutes ago, Agrotera.1254 said:

I just really wish that before people started bashing something they would do their homework so that they know what they are talking about.

You are NOT required to park your alts in your Homestead. If you do put them there before you log out then when you log back in you can choose to leave the Homestead and it will put you back where you were. Basically you can get benefits from 2 places. Farm the place where your alt is parked then take it to your Homestead to get whatever the boost is for being parked there then when you leave just *poof* back to your parked spot. Really people, read things and get your info before you complain.

Yes but some people have toasters so they dont want to deal with 2 loading screens mate.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 4

24 minutes ago, Manpag.6421 said:

Counterpoint: I like that you have to park alts in your homestead for them to appear there, and it would irritate me if they all appeared by default. I have several alts from my early days who sit rotting on the login screen, only existing as bank characters which I don't delete because of their age. I wouldn't want them to show up in my homestead, whereas some of the characters I actively play and have invested hours in, I might. As others have said, you aren't losing an alt parking spot, you just have to sit through an extra loading screen to get back to it if you want them to be there.

Alts in your homestead is (from what we know so far) a purely cosmetic thing, with no gameplay benefit, so you could also just make a choice between min-maxing your profitability by parking all your alts, or showing off your characters.

It would be annoying if they all appeared by default I agree. My solution is you get to freely choose which characters appear in the homestead (and where) regardless of where they are actually parked. That would also be more optimal from a cosmetic angle because then you can switch/move characters around quickly and easily without having to move each one in or out manually.

I can suspend my disbelief about characters teleporting through a magic door to get there and I can just as easily pretend that I actually used the door to park them all there without actually having to do it. For those that prefer the loading, they can still park everything there as they please.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Portico.2354 said:

My solution is you get to freely choose which characters appear in the homestead (and where) regardless of where they are actually parked.

Coding a whole per-character UI element for a simple cosmetic thing like this seems like a massive waste of resources compared to the previewed implementation though. I'm amazed this is an issue for more than a handful of players tbh. Even if homesteads are really useful and everyone's constantly visiting each other's, I think some people are vastly overestimating how much other players want to see your other characters. That, or I'm underestimating how much people like just sitting and staring at all their characters on the login screen.

If having your other characters there allowed you access to their inventory, like an extra bank, then I could understand the frustration at there being friction with alt parking, but given that there's been no mention of that and it'd cost ANet a fortune in bank tab sales, it's a non-issue.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 3

It may be too resource intensive to implement, true. I don’t know about that.

To be clear, I don’t actually care that much about this feature. I just don’t see myself using it much when it requires loading every character displayed into the instance. Even characters that I don’t park in specific spots now I tend to just leave in random places rather than moving them to hubs. And I swap characters pretty frequently.

*And this is all academic because anet is not going to change the previewed design anyway.

Edited by Portico.2354
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Well, atm I have 43 alts, maybe half of which are parked in various farming spots. Personally, the OP's request is of no interest to me at all and I see it as a waste of developer resources. That's because I don't see any point to having all 43 alts parked in my homestead, nor do I have much interest in having them follow me around that homestead. I do expect to have friends visiting my homestead on a fairly regular basis as I have a full home instance and offer to let my guildies harvest there on a daily basis. For me though, I expect any fun at the sight of my alts in my homestead to wear off fairly quickly, both for myself and my guests. That's just me though and I have no idea how many other players feel more like the OP or more like me. So take this as just one person's opinion.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

58 minutes ago, Chichimec.9364 said:

Well, atm I have 43 alts, maybe half of which are parked in various farming spots. Personally, the OP's request is of no interest to me at all and I see it as a waste of developer resources. That's because I don't see any point to having all 43 alts parked in my homestead, nor do I have much interest in having them follow me around that homestead. I do expect to have friends visiting my homestead on a fairly regular basis as I have a full home instance and offer to let my guildies harvest there on a daily basis. For me though, I expect any fun at the sight of my alts in my homestead to wear off fairly quickly, both for myself and my guests. That's just me though and I have no idea how many other players feel more like the OP or more like me. So take this as just one person's opinion.

Even if you wanted to you could not have 43 alts in your homestead I think the preview video mentioned 30 alts maximum.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/31/2024 at 11:54 PM, Gop.8713 said:

It's not feasible or fun to do the following on every alt to log in at homestead, then to "return to previous map" button, farm the parking spot, go back to homestead, log out. This is just tremendously cumbersome and not player friendly

Edited by Akarat.7106
  • Like 4
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Antycypator.9874 said:

Well, everything has it's price. I like the idea of actually leaving my characters in homestead.

If you really need alts parked somewhere in Tyria to open worthless chests with 3silver profit per day — it's your problem.

You clearly aren't up to date to today's parking spots profit per day per character.... Please do some research 🙂

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, Danikat.8537 said:

The homestead will have the same 'return to previous map' function as the Heart of the Mists and lounge areas, so you can do both. Get them to the spot where you want to park them, then go to your homestead, and next time you want to farm whatever they were camped at you just use the 'leave instance' button to go back there.

Does this sound player friendly to you at all?

• Like 1
  • Confused 5