Things that would make me scream, "shut up and take my money Anet!"

Tinker.6924

Pet appearance cloning

Make a pet have the appearance of another pet (or mini!).  Having a Jacaranda actually summoned, but make it look like my tiger, or my wyvern or my lynx, or anything that doesn't look like a floating weed but with Jacaranda abilities.

Dye channels on pets

Neon Green and Pink Pig FTW!!!

New Pack Master elite spec.

Have multiple pets out at the same time.  Even if the secondary pets just followed and did what the first one did, it would still be cool to have a pack of pets from your own pet collection running around you at all times (NEON PIG PACK POWAH).  Elite skill would be a stampede where all your pets rush out from you and trample the target and all baddies around and keep stampeding for a decent distance after the target.  

I will throw my credit card at you so fast Anet that it might melt the plastic.

ETA: /petdance so my pet can dance with me and with a pack, they would ALL dance!  

Edited by Tinker.6924
  • Like 3
  • Confused 8

Cloning sound like a big "no" from anet, since it makes no sense lore wise and making animations work is a pain. Dyes sound more plausible, but the gain from the work it takes to implement, would never be worth it.

The espec idea is pretty popular, so it would be possible, when Anet feels like it's time to add more balance issues. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ranger spec where the pet is fully removed and reworked into a type of Archer mechanic with snipe.

Ranger spec where you just turn into the pet itself, like you know, a druid would in other games.

Allowing Rangers to pick different skins for their pets, cause it sucks big time if you make really neat outfit only for your optimal dps animal for the said build bringing it down. Pig farmer Soulbeasts are the worst contenders, shiny legendary swords and what not yet your best pick is to have ordinary walking bacon with you to save the world. 🙃

• Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Frozey.8513 said:

Ranger spec where you just turn into the pet itself, like you know, a druid would in other games.

The ability you are thinking of is Wildshape from D&D. Some kind of shifter would be on theme, but possibly crosses over too much lore-wise with Norn racial abilities.

1 hour ago, Tinker.6924 said:

Pet appearance cloning

Make a pet have the appearance of another pet (or mini!).  Having a Jacaranda actually summoned, but make it look like my tiger, or my wyvern or my lynx, or anything that doesn't look like a floating weed but with Jacaranda abilities.

Almost certainly never going to happen. It doesn't make sense, and it's not something that would be easy to implement.

1 hour ago, Tinker.6924 said:

Dye channels on pets

Neon Green and Pink Pig FTW!!!

Possibly maybe? This might be a case like the old back items though, where making a change to add dye channels would alter the appearance of the existing base creatures, something I don't think Anet likes to do. Personally I am not keen on neon pink pigs, just as I am not a huge fan of blinding-confetti-unicorn-baby-pink-demon-wing-dragon-headed-magma-skin player characters either, but that is just a matter of taste.

I wouldn't be averse to some form of pet cosmetics though, even if it's just a couple of preset variations on each pet skin (think brown or spotted pig skins alongside just pink). But there are a lot of pets and we are very fortunate to continue to receive new ones with each expansion as well, no other profession gets that kind of new functionality to their core abilities.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

Almost certainly never going to happen. It doesn't make sense, and it's not something that would be easy to implement.

It's a cosmetic change which makes 10000000000x more "lore sense" than skimpy swimsuits, beach chairs, and a million other things sold on the Gem Store and given its an enhancement to Ranger Pets you could argue that it makes more "lore sense" than some recently added weapon proficiencies.

I can understand not allowing dyes and "cloned appearance" in pvp and wvw, knowing what the ranger's pet is tells you something important, and disabling that functionality there would be understandable but in pve content what does it matter if my Rock Gazelle looks like a Lynx what does it matter to anyone but me?  No one in my squad is going to care.  

Edited by Tinker.6924
  • Like 2
  • Confused 4

16 minutes ago, Frozey.8513 said:

Ranger spec where the pet is fully removed and reworked into a type of Archer mechanic with snipe.

So soulbeast with the eternal bond trait.

17 minutes ago, Frozey.8513 said:

I can garantee you 1 thing, every single player in this game would hate playing that for the simple reason that the way pet move and use skill would make it an absolutely awful experience and that there is no way the devs would fix it for each and every 57 (soon 58) pets in game. Without forgetting that they would all need their own animation for dodge.

What I'd like:

• A pet that deal clone amount of damage but is passively Determined. The skills (except for the AA with clone amount of damage) would be purely support just like Bird's quickening screech. All Rangers specs could finally play around in WvW zergs without their main mechanic dying in second. I've been hoping for this since they introduced juvenile reef drake when they released southsun cove almost 12 years ago in november 2012.
  • Equipement for pets with a sigil slot that only affect the pet ("on weapon swap" sigil would proc "on pet swap"). They basically just have to make a few recips for "collars" in leather working and create 2 equipement slots in the Pet UI panel.
  • All Nature spirits changed into proper pets and a new utility skillset to replace them.

• Like 1

I'd really like a "Tamer" elite spec where your mechanic is just new, necessarily smaller stable of pets that are just hulked out and mythical. Like it'd feel like fighting with a legendary boss as your pet. Maybe the drawback would be that you couldn't swap pets, and instead things that proc on pet swap would be tied to a different skill.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

You still end up using the pet, and you have to micromanage it as you put it away each time you change map/are downed or use the pet's skills that are still tied to you. Fundamentally I agree with you that it's a lot less pet gameplay than other options we have, but I would want the GW1 Ranger experience where you get to just focus on pew pew with bow with pet being purely optional choice. As of right now playing pure Archer in GW2 is kind of hard. 😅

2 hours ago, Frozey.8513 said:

You still end up using the pet, and you have to micromanage it as you put it away each time you change map/are downed or use the pet's skills that are still tied to you. Fundamentally I agree with you that it's a lot less pet gameplay than other options we have, but I would want the GW1 Ranger experience where you get to just focus on pew pew with bow with pet being purely optional choice. As of right now playing pure Archer in GW2 is kind of hard. 😅

The "bow experience" in GW1 was for the most casual of us (and was available to every single profession by simply taking ranger as a secondary profession).

Ranger in GW1 was shining through it's nature spirits and traps, through necromancer's touch skills, through ritualist's weapon spells and through warrior's Hammer skills a lot more than it was shining through it's bow skills.

While there is clearly a lack of bows in GW2 compared to something like greatsword, if you really want to pewpew, thief is there for you. It offer you the long range experience of guild wars 1's ranger through pistol, rifle and venoms (which are the closest thing to GW1's preparations). Literally, the only thing missing is the arrow rain and if what you want is arrow rain there is still revenant's shortbow to give you that experience with a slightly lower range.

GW2 Ranger's core profession is built with the pet being at the center of the profession. You won't have a specs that go further away from the pet than the existing specs already do.

Unrealistically: building ranger from the ground up again with much of the same stuff that it has today, except making the core mechanic, aka the pet, into an elite spec similarly to mechanist. Then give core ranger a proper, non AI mechanic (basically a bunch of F skills and a new traitline instead of beastmastery). Druid in turn gets some variation of the same mechanic, still with the avatar, but no pet. The last elite spec is up for grabs, plenty options to go with.

Realistically: a non-projectile, aoe ranged weapon for WvW. A scepter (+focus?) combo with nature magic stuff would do. Yeah, the bar is that low. I just want some decent zerg damage that doesn't involve always staying at 130-240 range.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2024 at 5:32 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:
On 8/20/2024 at 4:25 PM, Frozey.8513 said:

If you're asking for a petless ranger in this context, you're asking for an actual mechanic that involves a set of F skills which all adds up to a unique mechanic that can be affected by traits. Not slapping on skills made for the pets + a single generic archtype skill.

Soulbeast with eternal bond and permamerging is pretty static in comparison, because soulbeast wasn't designed to stay permanently merged (maximising DPS in PvE doesn't count).

Unrealistic, yes. But don't tell people that they have soulbeast for that, because permamerged soulbeast doesn't entirely scratch that itch. Telling them to play a different class isn't gonna scratch that itch either.

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 3

I want a bunny pet or a jackalope. Whichever.

I'd give them 5 bucks to replace the entire balance team with go-getter street urchins of average intelligence but with fire in their hearts.

Edited by Lyralia.2945

On 8/20/2024 at 5:32 PM, Dadnir.5038 said:
  • Equipement for pets with a sigil slot that only affect the pet ("on weapon swap" sigil would proc "on pet swap"). They basically just have to make a few recips for "collars" in leather working and create 2 equipement slots in the Pet UI panel.

This is all I'd want. *chefs kiss*

On 8/21/2024 at 1:01 AM, Remus Darkblight.1673 said:

The ability you are thinking of is Wildshape from D&D. Some kind of shifter would be on theme, but possibly crosses over too much lore-wise with Norn racial abilities.

I think that's something that can be worked around:

From a lore perspective, humans were able to gain the blessings of the spirits in GW1. There wasn't actually a transformation, but it establishes a precedent that the animal spirits can grant their blessings to non-norn.

From a mechanics perspective, a lot of racial skills are essentially similar to profession skills anyway, but designed to be so much weaker than profession skills that they'd never be so attractive that people felt they should play a specific race for its racial skills, and the racial skills have only been powercrept further over time. Rangers having an actual shapeshift wouldn't really make norn feel less special because in practice basically nobody uses those skills at high level anyway.

The bigger issue is that this is pretty much the principle behind soulbeast, it just doesn't have the graphics. And given how much people complained about the untamed aura and similar effects, I suspect a lot of people wouldn't want to have actual transformations.

i want a proper Beastmaster as an elite spec, kinda like in WoW,

you'd get to tame and use "special" pets when running the elite spec.

so you could tame and use Hydras, Hounds of Balthazaar, Griffons etc.

and the spec would have massive power-ups for pets, basically playing a bit like Mechanist.

i'd also like for height with a longbow to increase range and damage (as it was in GW1), you actually had an advantage in defense scenarios as in real life.

if you're ontop of a fortified wall you have the advantage over enemies attacking it.

• Like 3

On 8/28/2024 at 5:36 PM, Liewec.2896 said:

if you're ontop of a fortified wall you have the advantage over enemies attacking it

I've never really verified it, but when in wvw (where fortified walls are aplenty) I've always felt like being on the wall gave extra range to your attacks.  

On 8/28/2024 at 5:36 PM, Liewec.2896 said:

i want a proper Beastmaster as an elite spec, kinda like in WoW,

Oh yeah... yeah.  love you.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am a simple man. 

I just want cultural t4 armor (and yes not shared between races but race specific sets), to be accessible in the capital after you pass some requirements. (something like in Eye of the north for example).

That's it, I don't have anything ranger specific I really want.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2024 at 12:20 PM, Lazze.9870 said:

Unrealistically: building ranger from the ground up again with much of the same stuff that it has today, except making the core mechanic, aka the pet, into an elite spec similarly to mechanist. Then give core ranger a proper, non AI mechanic (basically a bunch of F skills and a new traitline instead of beastmastery). Druid in turn gets some variation of the same mechanic, still with the avatar, but no pet. The last elite spec is up for grabs, plenty options to go with.

Realistically: a non-projectile, aoe ranged weapon for WvW. A scepter (+focus?) combo with nature magic stuff would do. Yeah, the bar is that low. I just want some decent zerg damage that doesn't involve always staying at 130-240 range.

Make Untamed the "Beastmaster" elite spec with a pet.

12 hours ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

Make Untamed the "Beastmaster" elite spec with a pet.

Ranger: no AI mechanic
Druid: avatar mechanic stays, the pet gets replaced with a druid version of whatever core would have
SB: this could be the "pet spec". aka the mechanist of the ranger, as it wouldn't exist if core ranger didn't have pets. The name would change.
Untamed: keep the theme with boon removal and stuff as well as the unleashed skills, but again, ditch the pet. Make a new variation of whatever the core ranger mechanic would be (same as with druid).

Unless you meant make the Untamed spec we have now even more pet dependent, then I strongly disagree. 

Edited by Lazze.9870
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lazze.9870 said:

Ranger: no AI mechanic
Druid: avatar mechanic stays, the pet gets replaced with a druid version of whatever core would have
SB: this could be the "pet spec". aka the mechanist of the ranger, as it wouldn't exist if core ranger didn't have pets. The name would change.
Untamed: keep the theme with boon removal and stuff as well as the unleashed skills, but again, ditch the pet. Make a new variation of whatever the core ranger mechanic would be (same as with druid).

Unless you meant make the Untamed spec we have now even more pet dependent, then I strongly disagree. 

Nah, I meant make untamed the only elite with a pet.

• Confused 1