Bad enemy design - almost permanent boon corrupt AoEs

It might be high damage on golems, it's not high damage in the open world. On thief spear I shred stuff far more easily, and it's a melee weapon. Idk why you'd ever use a spear outside instanced PvE when rev has so many better weapons for that. 

• Confused 3

Yea, I don't get it. We saw how absolutely not fun and punishing that skillset is when lonely tower was released. They nerfed it there but now throw the same concept into open world where people are even less coordinated?!

I'll be skipping these, unless the game forces me to kill one.

Edited by Xainou.1502
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Did a tier3 rift... the ground was 1 big puddle of AoE in a 900 range around the enemies.

In one location for a tier3, there was litterly ZERO save spots to stand, resulting in instantly dozens of condi on you.

The ever increasing condi preasure in open world in these designs are no fun.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Tuna Bandit.3786 said:

Did a tier3 rift... the ground was 1 big puddle of AoE in a 900 range around the enemies.

In one location for a tier3, there was litterly ZERO save spots to stand, resulting in instantly dozens of condi on you.

The ever increasing condi preasure in open world in these designs are no fun.

Yep, I think did that one too. It was a small piece of land at the bottom of a cliff. There was literally nowhere to stand.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As a primarily melee player I found fights where there was just a couple of players was fun and required a bit more paying attention than usual

When there was a big blob of players it was horrible,even if you can see the ground effects they were everywhere and almost impossible to avoid

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kinurak.5307 said:

I am glad these enemies are a threat. The 100% boon uptime is a joke. I am also glad the ranged weapons feel like a good choice now. Melee stacking was a mistake

They're not a threat at all. These enemies are the weakest HP sponges since I can remember. Nothing about them is terrifying or deadly. Even the champions are easy to solo without much work. 

At the very least, they dont CC and knock you down constantly. But otherwise theres no real mechanics at play here. No need to dodge around an enemy winding up an attack at all. Just zerg AOE cleave.

• Confused 8

Lol, I just fought my first champion enemy (not even a group event btw) in lowland shore. I can only go.... ahahahhahahaha lol.

So here is what must have transpired. ANET wants to make a spec useful / unique, gives it unique boon. Well crap, now players complain they must play exactly this spec. OK, OK, give the boon to another spec. Players still complain they MUST play those 2 specs. Alright, alright, give the boon to EVERY profession. Spam all the boons, make the combat dumb as kitten, who cares.

Forward N expansions later, ANET sitting at whatever meeting.... zZzzZzzz combat is too easy now, they just stack and spam boons. What do we do? Well we removed all the boon corrupts from wvw, but they were useful for keeping players mobile and on their toes,  to not just boon up and melee train into other groups... I know I know, we will spam aoe boon corrupts in pve too.

And this is the result. And the result is omfg bad. I'd rather fight boonless than have MASSIVE PURPLE VOMIT EVERYWHERE on the screen, constant weakness, constant poison, constant everything. Even my war build is outputting boons like crazy at this point (and it used to be the one profession without that much boon vomit), so I'm constantly condied up.

There were like 10+ players, all 540+ mastery or so, cause who else is gonna play this new "expansion" but the players who have done everything before it. Can't down a champion mob for like forever, cause all it does is jump around and drop boon corrupt wells and pain walls, to the point of 10 players fighting a champion mob looking like 50 players fighting a meta event with ultra low visibility (cause screen chaos has been getting higher and higher with no effort to reduce it).

What a waste of money.

Edited by Hotride.2187
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

Lol, I just fought my first champion enemy (not even a group event btw) in lowland shore. I can only go.... ahahahhahahaha lol.

So here is what must have transpired. ANET wants to make a spec useful / unique, gives it unique boon. Well crap, now players complain they must play exactly this spec. OK, OK, give the boon to another spec. Players still complain they MUST play those 2 specs. Alright, alright, give the boon to EVERY profession. Spam all the boons, make the combat dumb as kitten, who cares.

Forward N expansions later, ANET sitting at whatever meeting.... zZzzZzzz combat is too easy now, they just stack and spam boons. What do we do? Well we removed all the boon corrupts from wvw, but they were useful for keeping players mobile and on their toes,  to not just boon up and melee train into other groups... I know I know, we will spam aoe boon corrupts in pve too.

And this is the result. And the result is omfg bad. I'd rather fight boonless than have MASSIVE PURPLE VOMIT EVERYWHERE on the screen, constant weakness, constant poison, constant everything. Even my war build is outputting boons like crazy at this point (and it used to be the one profession without that much boon vomit), so I'm constantly condied up.

There were like 10+ players, all 540+ mastery or so, cause who else is gonna play this new "expansion" but the players who have done everything before it. Can't down a champion mob for like forever, cause all it does is jump around and drop boon corrupt wells and pain walls, to the point of 10 players fighting a champion mob looking like 50 players fighting a meta event with ultra low visibility (cause screen chaos has been getting higher and higher with no effort to reduce it).

What a waste of money.

I was thinking about trying to find a boonless build; but everything feels weak without quickness and half your skills generate boons so it's basically hopeless.

Our only hope is there's another mastery they add in 3 months that prevents the boon corruption because i don't see them backing down on all the boon hate; which is weird because in WvW it's the exact opposite.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

What a waste of money.

Are you saying that people who haven't played other expansions can't play JW? I have 280 mastery, haven't finished the majority of living worlds, EoD, or SotO and can't be bothered to. I'm still gonna play JW cause I care absolutely nothing the for the gw2 story but I still enjoy thr gameplay. Im not in the minority. 

Edited by Zanfiel.9413
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sjentra.3409 said:

I was thinking about trying to find a boonless build; but everything feels weak without quickness and half your skills generate boons so it's basically hopeless.

Playing Reaper is hell, because you generate so much quickness inside shroud just by pressing 1... And that gets corrupted into slow all the time.

Quickness is mandatory on some classes (like Guardian, Tempest) to have fun for me (in case of Tempest, no quickness also butchers your alac uptime if you play alac). The default speed feels so, so clunky and slow.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, ZenDrake.8316 said:

Melee stacking is how the combat system works, be it heals or any type of support. The 100% boon uptime is unfixable at this point. It's just really annoying, and some classes have really bad ranged options. Not to mention that several builds require specific weapons to be effective.

As a a scrapper I am just supposed to spam grenades or what?

I feel the same way as a Virtuoso with a spear.... no ranged options besides my F keys. What's up with that crap? ALL the spears should have had a "throwing" option.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

I like it that for a change we need to do more than press 1 to win while snoozing.

How does pressing more buttons prevent me from getting boon corrupted constantly because I need to stand next to the boss that has covered the ground in massive boon corrupt AoEs? I am all for actually having to press buttons, but this makes melee gameplay very annoying and unfun. You are being heavily punished for having to attack from up close.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

after a few more hours ignoring real world responsibilities i'm starting to enjoy them more, swapped a few traits around for extra cleansing and started paying more attention to the attacks feels challenging but nicely so. i'm s/d tempest

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

6 hours ago, ZenDrake.8316 said:

Playing Reaper is hell, because you generate so much quickness inside shroud just by pressing 1... And that gets corrupted into slow all the time.

Quickness is mandatory on some classes (like Guardian, Tempest) to have fun for me (in case of Tempest, no quickness also butchers your alac uptime if you play alac). The default speed feels so, so clunky and slow.

Reaper is possibly the worst spec to play JW. Common builds generate Fury, which corrupt to blindness; some Might, corrupts to weakness; tiny stab, which becomes Fear and some Quickness that becomes Slow. And the important part, almost no other boon, so our corrupts are horrendous and constantly the same. 

I had to swap to Scourge, it was annoying to play Reaper. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ZenDrake.8316 said:

How does pressing more buttons prevent me from getting boon corrupted constantly because I need to stand next to the boss that has covered the ground in massive boon corrupt AoEs?

You fight without boons, i.e. easy mode off, just fight harder.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 1

Don't think is a bad design, if you are a good player, you think through a way.
On the contrary, the previous expansions monster are the true badly design that we can close both eyes and killed them with just 3 fingers.
Adapt to it and stop ranting.

• Like 4
  • Confused 5