Mount Keybindings

So it's becoming increasingly common for mounts to have more than the two abilities that they have dedicated keybindings for, and the weird half measure we have for the keybindings for mount abilities is a bit annoying. Some abilities are tied to the 1-4 keys, same as weapons, and will be remapped if you remap your weapon skills. Then you have the two abilities tied to the C and V keys, which have their own keybindings. Visually, on the UI, the C and V abilities take the place of your 4 and 5 skills, so if you're going to remap them from their default places, it makes sense to move them to correspond with your 4 and 5 skills.

The problem with this is that some mounts have a C ability, and some have a 4 ability. There's no overlap--there is no mount that has both a C and a 4 ability--but even so, the game doesn't like it when you do that, and if you have them both bound to the same key, it will only allow it to count as the C skill on a mount, so if the mount has a 4 ability instead, you just can't use it.

All this is to say, can we please get the keybindings for mount abilities to be consistent across the board? Do away with the separate C and 4 abilities, and either make it so that all five mount skills can have unique keybindings, or hell, go the other way and do away with unique mount keybindings altogether, and just have them attached to the 1-5 weapon keybindings? Either would be better than the current in-between situation.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 4

Well, it's consistant, there are mount abilities, generaly movement-based, bind on V and C by default.

Then you got attack skill, using classic weapon binding because that's the better thing to do.

Originaly, mount abilities were not on the skill bar, the same way dodge is not on the skill bar. At some point, they decided to do some QoL and add those mounts abilities to the bar, they simply choosed the right portion of the left side probably because it was not really occupied (most mount got 1 attack skill).

If there is a fix to do, that would probably be more in the line of moving mount abilities to an other part of the bar (maybe where the F abilities are usually? I don't think they are displayed while mounted)

• Confused 4

Yeah, it is very confusing, The 4th skill on the Warclaw is apparently "weapon skill 4", while on other mounts it is "mount ability 2" - I got a major binding conflict because of this. They should just label them abilities 1-5 and give us the corresponding keybind options in the settings.

• Like 11

I agree it would be better for it to be consistent across mounts instead of based on skill type. 

I don't mind if they're tied to skill bindings or seperate so we can bind them wherever we want, but I'd like it to be consistent across mounts so the same skill slot is always tied to the same button. 

• Like 9

11 hours ago, Randin.5701 said:

All this is to say, can we please get the keybindings for mount abilities to be consistent across the board?

Yes, it is completely inconsistent. Especially when you consider that the other mount skills (which still exist) are in the weapon/build skill slots #6, #7, #8, #9, #0 and in these the key mappings of weapons/build skills work with mounts.

My suggestion to simplify the game: new mapping "mount skill 1-10" and they replace (when mounted) weapon skill 1-5, heal skill, utility skill 1-3 and elite skill.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Well, it's consistant, there are mount abilities, generaly movement-based, bind on V and C by default.

Then you got attack skill, using classic weapon binding because that's the better thing to do.

Originaly, mount abilities were ...

That's how it started. But the original idea no longer works so well. There are now more and different mounts with more functions. We even have a skiff (a kind of mount, but not a mount) which causes even more problems with the mappings.

That's why it should be cleaned up and adjusted and optimized. 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Zok.4956 said:

That's how it started. But the original idea no longer works so well. There are now more and different mounts with more functions. We even have a skiff (a kind of mount, but not a mount) which causes even more problems with the mappings.

That's why it should be cleaned up and adjusted and optimized. 

It still work, and the confusion problem could be easily solved by simply moving the mount abilities out of the bar.

Right now, the only confusing is on Warclaw spear skill, and that's only confusing if you don't understand how mount works.

Having mount abilities 1-5 is a bad idea, because it's based on ui topology rather than usability, on top of doubling keybind for nothing. I mean, according to this idea, Warclaw spear, griffon rise and rollerbeetle drift would be on the same keybind, and you know what skill don't deserve to be on that keybind.

• Like 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 1

Just give us enough mount skill keybind options for the 5 skills and let us figure out what works for each individual.  I'm a bit restricted in hand movement, AS ARE MANY IN THE GAME.  Other's have various types of mouse, game controllers, etc.  Obviously, customizing one's game play experience is important, otherwise there wouldn't be keybinds for so many other things (most of which I figure few of us use).  Honestly, this should have been a no-brainer for the dev team if any of them play at all.

• Like 8

A while back i posted a similar post, i agree that it would be great to have a seperate mount keybinds to thw weapon + utility skills! 

Reason for me is, i use different keybinds each character because i like to look at a rotation and i will put my most used utility + heal skills on q->e->r in that order if posseble to make it more easy to remember the keybindings.

Examples: 

HFB: q = heal e = quickness mantra r= feel my wrath

Reaper: c = heal q + e + r = utility 1-> 3

The problem is that the mount utility skills also will change depending on character so this is very confusing. 

Solution would be to seperate these bindings to mount bindings.

• Like 5

Yes please. I've had this problem since they introduced skyscale (specifically when they added the descend/#2 key). I bound it to 2, but it has since caused problems as I cannot use Fireball, on the skyscale now. Same with the sniff on warclaw (albeit, less important - until now with JW). Having actual keybinds would be such a relief and would save on the arduous task of relearning keybinds of 5 years.

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

Wait… so is this why I can’t use the 4th skill on warclaw with my hotkeys but instead have to click it? That is so stupid and they need to fix this.

Nothing to fix there, simply use the right keybind, weapon skill 4

• Confused 10

3 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

You wouldn't be saying this if say, you had to have your F skills bound to the respective F keys, and if you rebound one of them, suddenly you could only use that F skill by clicking it. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Lahmia.2193 said:

You wouldn't be saying this if say, you had to have your F skills bound to the respective F keys, and if you rebound one of them, suddenly you could only use that F skill by clicking it. 

What is your point there? Warclaw spear is and always has been on weapon skill 4, there is no change there.

• Confused 6

8 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

What is your point there? Warclaw spear is and always has been on weapon skill 4, there is no change there.

That the lack of keybinds for mounts is just lazy on anet's part and should be rectified. We shouldn't be pigeonholed into using certain keybinds. 

Edited by Lahmia.2193
Wrong word used.
  • Like 7

31 minutes ago, Lahmia.2193 said:

That the lack of keybinds for mounts is just lazy on anet's part and should be rectified. We shouldn't be pigeonholed into using certain keybinds. 

Litterally everything on that bar, from kit, pickup bundle, special form, mount, have being using those keybind, what have changed on those 11 years where is was completely fine for everyone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

5 hours ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

I DO use weapon skill 4. The problem is, as the OP mentioned, if you rebind Mount Skill 2 from C to 4 then mounts that use weapon skill 4 suddenly have a broken keybind even though weapon skill 4 is still bound to 4. Despite the fact that not a single mount in the game actually uses both binds, its one or the other, so this rebind should not cause conflict.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Litterally everything on that bar, from kit, pickup bundle, special form, mount, have being using those keybind, what have changed on those 11 years where is was completely fine for everyone?

What changed is more people have Warclaw now, so the weirdness of the keybind has shown up to the entire playerbase now. Before getting the warclaw I never ran into a problem with this. I hated having mount skills bound to C & V so I rebound them to 4 & 5 to match the skill slot they were in, since I use C & V for a couple of my utility slots and it just irritated me to no end for those binds to change slots when mounting. I experienced no problems with this rebind from any mount I’ve had up until now. With the warclaw, I now have a mount skill that shows the proper keybind, but using that keybind does absolutely nothing. Mounts having the possibility of 2 mutually exclusive skills occupying slot 4 on our skill bar being unable to share a keybind is stupid. At no point will any mount ever have both skills, this double bind should not be a conflict, and it shouldn’t break one as a result… and yet with the way it was programmed, it does break one. Mount skill 2 takes priority in they keybinding causing weapon skill 4 to be treated as if it is unbound when mounted if both skills use the same keybind.

• Like 7

I would like different key bindings for different mounts as an option.  For example, my muse key has attack fire on 4 and dive on 5. On my Griffen, I would like to have 4 and 5 used for other things or tasks like diving or fly-up wards. My current bindins don't allow me to do that

Edited by rohan king of gods.4238
  • Like 4

They can remove mount key bindings and use weapon key bindings, they can make separate mount action bars with keybindings while mounted.  It isn't complicated, is it?

Edited by Enrol.4097
  • Like 5

13 hours ago, Panda.1967 said:

I DO use weapon skill 4. The problem is, as the OP mentioned, if you rebind Mount Skill 2 from C to 4 then mounts that use weapon skill 4 suddenly have a broken keybind even though weapon skill 4 is still bound to 4. Despite the fact that not a single mount in the game actually uses both binds, its one or the other, so this rebind should not cause conflict.

Oh, ok, I see, didn't know those two keybind weren't mutually exclusive, the same way you can't keybind weapon skills and dodge on the same key.

Then, they should make those keybind (weapon skill and mount abilities) mutually exclusive.

• Confused 7

44 minutes ago, Shuzuru.3651 said:

Oh, ok, I see, didn't know those two keybind weren't mutually exclusive, the same way you can't keybind weapon skills and dodge on the same key.

Then, they should make those keybind (weapon skill and mount abilities) mutually exclusive.

The binds have no reason to be mutually exclusive. The abilities they affect occupy the same skill slot on the UI and will never be present at the same time as eachother. They just need to fix the code so that Weapon Skill 4’s bind on mounts isn’t ignored if Mount Skill 4 happens to use the same keybind… they should NOT have a conflict. They only have one right now because of poor coding.

Edited by Panda.1967
  • Like 8
  • Confused 1