Spear appreciation thread :)

Terrorhuz.4695

I haven't bought JW yet (probably this coming payday), so I'm just going by patch notes, a couple streams and what's posted here. It looks like they took out a lot of the spear's janky stuff people were (rightly) hating on from the beta, is that confirmed? I wasn't impressed with it during beta tbh; "pretty but impractical" was my basic reaction to it. "Mind the Gap" was especially bad and it looks like they basically scrapped that and reworked it to give us what we asked for instead. Do I dare to hope that's really true?

Posted (edited)

15 minutes ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

I haven't bought JW yet (probably this coming payday), so I'm just going by patch notes, a couple streams and what's posted here. It looks like they took out a lot of the spear's janky stuff people were (rightly) hating on from the beta, is that confirmed? I wasn't impressed with it during beta tbh; "pretty but impractical" was my basic reaction to it. "Mind the Gap" was especially bad and it looks like they basically scrapped that and reworked it to give us what we asked for instead. Do I dare to hope that's really true?

spear2:

• Beta: clarity on hit in outer edge; outer edge will deal increased damage
  • Now: clarity on hit regardless of position; outer edge will deal increased damage and always crits. Added circles to let you visually see what "outer edge" actually means.

spear3:

• Beta: heals if it evades something, 2 cleanses with clarity
  • Now: heals if it evades something, 2 cleanses always; clarity improves the healing component of the skill (3.2k HP, which is actually HUGE)

spear4:

• Beta: the phantasms never hit
  • Now: the phantasms hit quite reliably; they're so fast, with phantasmal haste they might not even render at all. UNDOCUMENTED: shaved a bit of aftercast on your own leap, which improves quite significantly the movement component of the skill
Edited by Terrorhuz.4695
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm having a tonnnn of fun with spear, which I wasn't expecting because I don't usually like melee. But where sword/sword mesmer has always felt really clunky to me, spear feels FLUID and really engaging. I'm still getting the hang of it, but I love the in/out flow of the fighting style. 

I don't have PoF or EoD so I only have access to base mesmer and chrono, but I'm doing a power chrono build with spear/greatsword(greatsword for when i can't be melee or opening from range) and it's been really nice with the 25% increased movement speed of chrono for closing gaps and opening gaps 🙂 

If anyone else has good builds for chrono/base mesmer for spear let me know because I'm certainly not a buildcrafter lol

5 hours ago, Mic.1897 said:

Unfortunately I enjoy Mirage so I won't be able to use this one either 😞

But mirage power spear is exactly where this shines.  The improved ambush is an additional +15% damage buff on top of all the other % buffs.  Spear ambushing 4 to 6 times in a row is nice.

• Like 5

Spear is amazing for PvE, it fills exactly the niche that we needed filled. The improvements over the beta are also great. 

1 hour ago, Bourgeois.3597 said:

If anyone else has good builds for chrono/base mesmer for spear let me know because I'm certainly not a buildcrafter lol

Dom 2-2-1 Dueling 1-3-1 Chrono 2-3-X (boon or dps). 

Dagger/Sword + Spear, something like: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PiwEQDNrsCGD7itxKxhWpr5D-DyQYhgs3R9XShUbiWRVlRII1tgkIIFBYtvGKMDAA-e

9 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

Let's take a moment to thank whoever designed the weapon and chose the numbers because THIS THING SLAPS

That is also a way to describe overtuned af.

Power virtu is at 46k with it. Would be nice if they would also increase hp of most stuff by 30-40% if they increase the dps this much.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I'm doing something similar to that, but without the dagger since I don't have access to it! That's why I have greatsword as a ranged option.

Instead of domination, I'm doing illusion to transfer more boons to myself 🙂

Edited by Bourgeois.3597

Power mirage greatsword/spear, assasins/berserk infiltraitor runes, relic of the river, force/stam both weps for perma alac death machine.  Rune was so could get to 75% base crit as mirage.

Dueling 1-2-3, Domination 1-2-1, Mirage 2-2-1

"Sharks with laser beams build" great tag to.

2 hours ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

Power virtu is at 46k with it. Would be nice if they would also increase hp of most stuff by 30-40% if they increase the dps this much.

Pretty funny that an elementalist is complaining about a class having too high benchmarks.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

That's fine, Necro is currently benching over 50k with spear.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mike.7983 said:

Power mirage greatsword/spear, assasins/berserk infiltraitor runes, relic of the river, force/stam both weps for perma alac death machine.  Rune was so could get to 75% base crit as mirage.

Dueling 1-2-3, Domination 1-2-1, Mirage 2-2-1

"Sharks with laser beams build" great tag to.

how's survivability and what's the exact gear setup?

1 hour ago, Nemhy.5230 said:

how's survivability and what's the exact gear setup?

Mix of berserkers/assasins, about 19k hp survival is fine you got your mirage cloak heal + relic and your spamming 24/7 ambushes so evading tons.  Spear 3 heals almost 4k with clarity.  Worst case you pull back and use greatsword and laser.

53 minutes ago, Mike.7983 said:

Mix of berserkers/assasins, about 19k hp survival is fine you got your mirage cloak heal + relic and your spamming 24/7 ambushes so evading tons.  Spear 3 heals almost 4k with clarity.  Worst case you pull back and use greatsword and laser.

nice! Is it like a 50/50 gear split or what? Like which pieces do you have split off I mean