Harvest Shore Salmon Run is TOO TOUGH

12 minutes ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

Honestly, I am outraged.

How can we even call this a Salmon Run? Sure we jump up waterfalls, but I ask you: where are the constant bear and eagle attacks? Why do we not turn red and develop grotesque humps as we migrate from salt to freshwater? And how can we not be insulted when we reach the climax of this so-called "adventure"' and it doesn't even involve joining a whitewater throng of thousands of spawning Commandfinders expending the last of their lifeforce in a frenzy of egg fertilization? How could the devs have possibly missed the opportunity for such an immersive experience, and it's natural "Help clear the river of rapidly deteriorating post-coital salmon husks." followup event? I'm starting to think, that Anet didn't think about the salmon reproduction cycle at all when they were making this...

I know that I for one will not rest until Anet formally apologizes to me by way of launching whichever developer made this out of Bellevue by way of pneumatic Salmon cannon. You're based in Washington, so we know you have them available!

It's a covert mission, blending in with the environment to do some scouting for the Astral Ward.

39 minutes ago, Sweetbread.3678 said:

Honestly, I am outraged.

How can we even call this a Salmon Run? Sure we jump up waterfalls, but I ask you: where are the constant bear and eagle attacks? Why do we not turn red and develop grotesque humps as we migrate from salt to freshwater? And how can we not be insulted when we reach the climax of this so-called "adventure"' and it doesn't even involve joining a whitewater throng of thousands of spawning Commandfinders expending the last of their lifeforce in a frenzy of egg fertilization? How could the devs have possibly missed the opportunity for such an immersive experience, and it's natural "Help clear the river of rapidly deteriorating post-coital salmon husks." followup event? I'm starting to think, that Anet didn't think about the salmon reproduction cycle at all when they were making this...

I know that I for one will not rest until Anet formally apologizes to me by way of launching whichever developer made this out of Bellevue by way of pneumatic Salmon cannon. You're based in Washington, so we know you have them available!

Do not worry it will probabely come in map 3 or 4.

On 8/22/2023 at 12:38 PM, Terek.8923 said:

you can get your money back maybe but the relic change wasnt even soto. everyone gets that new "feature" 😠

On 8/21/2024 at 12:47 PM, McMarc.1276 said:

It is really tough and definitely needs some practise. Some tips on how to make things a little easier: 
#1 use gear with with concentration so the swiftness lasts longer 

#2 equip relic of speed for a little bit faster movement speed

#3 swim in first person to avoid getting caught on the surface

hope these help 🙂

This did not help it all, the rave needs more work done to it, maybe adjusting the flag rings, add 2 more boosters 

• Sad 1

i personally like that adventure. its definately one of the harder ones that need practice. its a challenge to work on it for success.

on my first attempt i have been +40 seconds above gold. so I thought 40 seconds... thats alot time i am losing on the way and started to practice.

I became better and better and my current besttime is 2:20.  so i managed to win 50 seconds since my first attempt. I am ranked #64 so  63 other players managed even a faster time than me so far.

I can understand though that its frustrating if you are a achievement hunter and just want to complete it and are maybe not a 100% competitive person or maybe have other handicap that prevents you from these low times on that one.

the timer should be adjust for this reason and it would also be nice if one could see the complete highscore board as I would like to know what time the persons infront of me scored.

that way the more casual players could finish it and the competitive players could see the highscore to keep competing.

• Like 2

Ahh yes, this particular Salmon run race...

I like the idea and the inspiration behind it.

First off, I like the idea behind it. I think it's fits in with the Nordic vibe,  using the upriver migration of Salmon is a creative way to get inspiration for a race event, the cannons shooting you up river feel like a nice nod to how there are several dams or salmon pathways installed across rivers by humans to help the salmons across, the jump skill is a good nod to how Salmons indeed jump out of the water to get upstream and I give bonuspoints for the irony of it all taking place in Kodan lands, with how bears typically prey on the migrating Salmon.

Unfortunately it comes with a lot of issues.

• The targets/rings you have to swim through very often fail to register, meaning you have to swim back semi often.
  • If you breach the water surface, you lose your speedboost and can often not use any skills, forcing you to use the first person camera for a consistent experience. 
  • The jump out of the water skill is very inconsistent with its movement, sometimes it propels you both up and forward, sometimes only upwards, and at times you only flop in place, forced to wait for the cooldown to reset and try again. 
  • The launching cannons are also quite RNG at times. Sometimes they shoot you up instantly to where you need to go, other times you fail to reach your distination or even just get shot into the air in a straight line, falling down to where you started. Other times the cannon simply fails to register that you hit it, leaving you awkwardly flopping on top of it, hoping if you press 2 again or maybe space a few times it will still trigger.
  • The timing for gold seems extremely harsh. I got gold eventually, but only after I used the relic for 66% movement speed under swiftness, being stacked with swiftness AND superspeed at the start of the race AND getting additional swiftness+superspeed again during the land portion (both by a dedicated squad), had good cannon luck AND grabbed pretty much every possible speedboost orb I managed to do it...with 3 seconds to spare. I am sure a part of this is a skill issue, its a new adventure after all, but if after stacking all of these odds, semi cheating with relic, swiftness and superspeed I only have 3 seconds to spare...I cannot help but feel the gold timing could use some leniency.

• Like 5

Just completed in 2:26 but it took me a LOT of attempts. I didn't use any concentration gear so you certainly CAN do it without, but you can't afford to miss a beat. Practice hitting the cannons perfectly, hit all the endurance boosts and going into 1st person when in the water helped me a lot. Breaking the water surface is a killer and that's easier to avoid in first person.

• Like 2

I am willing to bet that no one actually tested this.

From being randomly stuck in the waterfalls to losing all skills on reaching the surface of the water without any sane way to submerge again except pointing the camera down and hoping that moving forward will regsiter as being under water again.

• Like 2

I finally achieved gold rank after 57 tries (yes, I kept count). Total time was 2:27 seconds. This was, for me, the most infuriating content in the entire game. I screamed, I cried, I became physically violent, and I may or may not have penned a rather uncouth letter for the dev(s) who designed this hot garbage. Now, if you will all excuse me, I am going to nurse my headache and carpal tunnel, and never again play this content. Good day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Etaoin.4362 said:

I finally achieved gold rank after 57 tries (yes, I kept count). Total time was 2:27 seconds. This was, for me, the most infuriating content in the entire game. I screamed, I cried, I became physically violent, and I may or may not have penned a rather uncouth letter for the dev(s) who designed this hot garbage. Now, if you will all excuse me, I am going to nurse my headache and carpal tunnel, and never again play this content. Good day.

Have you got gold on scrap rifle field test advenure?

I heard that one is pretty infuriating too.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scrap_Rifle_Field_Test

Edited by Linken.6345
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Have you got gold on scrap rifle field test advenure?

I heard that one is pretty infuriating too.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Scrap_Rifle_Field_Test

Nah but, TBF, I never really cared about the HoT adventure golds. A lot of them are so far beyond what I care to do that I just let them sit. What was intolerable about the Harvest Shore Salmon Run is that it seems intended to be doable (like most races), but then you end up being a fraction of a second off of gold unless you hit everything "just right," and even then there seems to be some weird element of chance.

• Like 1

You've probably received enough advice, perhaps even the same but...

- Stack boon duration
- Get swiftness or SuperSpeed before you start
- Use any way you can to regenerate stamina(Energy) faster
- Memorize as much of the route as you can and go for those orbs as optimally as possible
- Practice staying under water at all times
- "Drift" correctly, especially at the part where you go up those wooden ramps
- Avoid using the skill that launches you up, as much as you can(IIRC there's only one spot where you can't avoid using that skill)
- The start is absolutely critical, polish it ASAP
- To that end, you can use certain toys like the Executioner Axe to gain an advantage on start
- 1st Person cam
- Pray the cannons don't glitch and send you straight up or launch you far enough

That said, anyone provenly doing it without any boons ETC has my respect because this is an insane race. Even though I used boons my self, it's nice to read that only another 299ish people have done it :3 Well, if that's an accurate statement still.

Edited by Kunavi.2407
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kunavi.2407 said:

Even though I used boons my self, it's nice to read that only another 299ish people have done it :3 Well, if that's an accurate statement still.

According to GW2 Efficiency, it's closer to 6k now, and I don't think that site reflects all accounts. Still, getting gold on this is nothing to sneeze at!

• Sad 1

Not sure if it’s intended or not, but I got gold credit for both of the Salmon Run achievements by only getting gold on the salmon run that starts from the Astral Ward Moon outpost (the easier, downstream one). Not gonna complain about that, lol.

Edited by Zeph.5927
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It would be fun, if the gold requirement wasn't so freaking tight, and a MP locked behind getting both.

The time limit, together with the janky camera, the inconsistent cannons, the unpredictable 2 skill and movement, combine into making it an infuriating chore to get through, since now I'm restarting it over and over due to an element of luck. 

I love the goofiness and idea of it, but the way it plays, makes it into one of those events that make me question why I'm spending my time on this.

• Like 2

Finally got through it, with concentration stats, firing off swiftness before restarting it yet another time, swim infusion, and thanks to someone who had put a hero banner at the start. THANK YOU WHOEVER THAT WAS. 

Did this leave me with a sense of achievement? No, just gratitude I don't have to waste more time on this ever again.

• Like 4