Severe Shortage of Spear Skins

12 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

You'll find the majority of your points addressed in the posts between the post you quoted and the post you made,

You are correct in the sense that they were raised but not addresed, so my apologies for my unnecessary reiteration.

12 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

but fwiw the first JW release did include seven new spear skins. If these skins had been made available via the gem store rather than in game, I imagine you'd hear more complaints, not fewer . . .

Of those seven, I like just one a lot and another one a possibility. The first one is dependent on a rare drop, which I haven't gotten yet. The other one is the one you get via the astral acclaim but it's a very specific aesthetic so not sure if I can actually use it. I don't actually have a lava/fire themed character. Just more into snow than fire.

So seven is just not a lot, especially with the deficit that's been created over the years. I would expect to like maybe one and that one happens to be a rare RNG drop, which means it's not available to me 🤷‍♂️

And I wanted more spears in the gem store on top of those. Who said anything about putting those seven in the gem store?

• Confused 1

I was quite surprised to discover that no Black Lion collections include a spear (or Harpoon Gun for that matter.)

Upon unlocking spear, I immediately went looking for my two favourites, Red Crane and Privateer, only to find that they didn't exist.

☹️

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

You are correct in the sense that they were raised but not addresed, so my apologies for my unnecessary reiteration.

Spoiler
18 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

There are indeed and yet, there's only a handful I actually like to use because most of them are fugly, in my opinion of course. I have this with weapon skins in general. For every one I like there's at least 10 I don't like, which makes sense because tastes are wildly different between players.

A lot of skins are themed as well, like some are obviously Charr themed weapons or nature themed, etc. And you know, there's the ascended spears that have like 7 different colours but are all the same skin. And then there are skins that are only available as very rare drops; there are spears that are dependent on types of content like WvW and Fractals, etc. So even the availability of a lot of the current spear skins is not that straightforward.

The new expansion is all about spears when it comes to combat and yet, they didn't even put a few nifty spear skins in the gemstore upon release. That, if anything, surprised me.

On 8/31/2024 at 11:02 PM, Gop.8713 said:

That's true of the terrestrial weapons as well, arguably moreso. It's also true that there are always skins available that don't make it into efficiency's database . . .

As a long time but very casual player with zero interest in fashion I've unlocked eighty-nine of those skins, so most are easily available . . .

More accounts have unlocked thirty different spear skins than have unlocked the ability to use spears on land . . .

On 8/31/2024 at 11:42 PM, quake.9023 said:

it just started my friend..............literally.....more will now be rolled out. i hope you can keep up spending on gem with the releases

So, raised and addressed. But I didn't mean to say that you shouldn't keep talking about those points if you like, I only meant to say that I was only going to address your new concern and wasn't going to repeat the responses to those points you made that had already been addressed a few posts up . . .

4 hours ago, Mungrul.9358 said:

I was quite surprised to discover that no Black Lion collections include a spear (or Harpoon Gun for that matter.)

Upon unlocking spear, I immediately went looking for my two favourites, Red Crane and Privateer, only to find that they didn't exist.

☹️

They released I think four? black lion sets with aquatic weapons before they dropped them ten years ago, and knowing gw2 players it was probably bc ppls complained about being 'forced' to collect 'useless' skins. They have included spears in the two most recent sets, and have stated that they will continue to include spears moving forward . . .

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

I'm just using the basic polearm skin for everything as it doesn't clash with any theme. The OP didn't mention the skyrocketed cost on some of the skins due to sudden high demand with no new supply. These are digital. It would be nice if Anet just simply supplied a new source for existing skins to prevent this problem. The chaos spear, for example, is a nice skin but it is not "1,000 gold nice"

What surprised me when reading this post is that there are people still unaware that ANet haven't made underwater weapons skins for at least a decade. Every single set that has been released has 16 weapons, not 19. 

26 minutes ago, Super Hayes.6890 said:

I'm just using the basic polearm skin for everything as it doesn't clash with any theme. The OP didn't mention the skyrocketed cost on some of the skins due to sudden high demand with no new supply. These are digital. It would be nice if Anet just simply supplied a new source for existing skins to prevent this problem. The chaos spear, for example, is a nice skin but it is not "1,000 gold nice"

This is a combination of 2 factors. One is supply. These weapons haven't been added as uncommon or rare drops for BL chests for quite some time, which is usually the reason why BL weapon skin prices drop. The other is people artificially inflating the price now that land spears are in the game, because it's 6 times more expensive than the second most expensive weapon skin in the set. That is neither arbitrary nor a sign that the skin drops far less than the rest of the skins in the set. It also wasn't by far this expensive before JW was announced/released. 

We need longer spear skins. Spears are mostly about range. And we even have 2 handed spears, pikes for example. These can be really long, much longer than wielders heigth.

We mostly have quite short spears. Could work as a javelin but look quite pitiful in melee. Pitiful pokers.

I use Dragonfury which is longer and it looks good. This should be the normal length. 

53 minutes ago, Cuks.8241 said:

We need longer spear skins. Spears are mostly about range. And we even have 2 handed spears, pikes for example. These can be really long, much longer than wielders heigth.

We mostly have quite short spears. Could work as a javelin but look quite pitiful in melee. Pitiful pokers.

I use Dragonfury which is longer and it looks good. This should be the normal length. 

Yeah, I agree. Dragonfury is one of the only good looking long spears

1 hour ago, TheNecrosanct.4028 said:

What surprised me when reading this post is that there are people still unaware that ANet haven't made underwater weapons skins for at least a decade. Every single set that has been released has 16 weapons, not 19. 

This is a combination of 2 factors. One is supply. These weapons haven't been added as uncommon or rare drops for BL chests for quite some time, which is usually the reason why BL weapon skin prices drop. The other is people artificially inflating the price now that land spears are in the game, because it's 6 times more expensive than the second most expensive weapon skin in the set. That is neither arbitrary nor a sign that the skin drops far less than the rest of the skins in the set. It also wasn't by far this expensive before JW was announced/released. 

I think they should only rotate sets with spear skins into the bl chests for a while.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HeliosMagi.9867 said:

There are countless Staff skins that are Polearms. Sunspear, Dark Spear, Fox Fire, Steel Lotus, Forged, you get the idea. Anet, if you're reading this, it would take very little effort to just enable these skins to be applied to Spears in addition to Staves.

I agree. Looking at the staff skins for many of the sets it doesn't appear to be a significant challenge to convert them to a spear. Replace the staff top with a blade and done. Heck, as you mention there are existing staff skins that look sufficiently spear-like and wouldn't require any modification. 

Something I find interesting is only the most recent Wizard's Vault weapon set has a spear when ANet would have been fully aware the spear as a land weapon was coming when the other sets were added. 

Edited by Dezzie.5903
  • Like 1

On 9/1/2024 at 8:39 PM, Parasite.5389 said:

I think it's safe to say that the devs are never going back and making a new spear for every collection that didn't include one.

Not only have some of the original artists moved on to other projects, and thus those new spears will have to me designed by other people, but there are 90 Black lion sets alone, thats 90 skins that a handful of artists now have to immitate.
And then we get into the more technical side of things like Collection acheivements, do you add another weapon to those collections? making it harder for people to get those old collections, or at worse, invalidating peoples acheivements who already completed them; or do you just exclude the spears, because if you exclude them now you're got the problem of someone buying a weapon set in bulk off the TP for the achievement/tickets and accidentally buy the spear skin, now they're pissy because they've wasted +30g and they're wondering why theres a skin in the set that isn't included in the collection.

also, how are we even suposed to get these skins? most of these black lion weapons are only available on the TP from people selling duplicates from Black lion chests drops or through random chance with a vintage black lion skin box?

even if they did go back and remake them, you're just going to complain that they're too hard to obtain.

Whilst i understand that these are legit concerns & obstacles, i do not think they justify never bothering to add spear skins to previous sets.

One way to solve several of these issues is release a separate pack (or several packs) of skins that would just be spear skins matching older sets. Anet has done this before on a smaller scale with mount skins : for example, you can buy the Branded Mounts Pack which has skins for the 5 base PoF mounts, and as later mounts got released, they added the beetle skin to the Mistborn license, the skyscale & warclaw skins to specific Skyscale & Warclaw packs.

So why not do something similar for spear skins ? That would open many different ways to implement it, but let's face it, it would allow them to release these packs as gemstore items so they can milk more cash out of this new land spear thing. What's not to love, Anet ??

I'm really sad that i spent so much time finding some fashion that i enjoy on my 19 characters, most of which i'd love to keep as is (it makes me happy to look at these characters & their style whilst playing the game). It's such a disappointment to have to "ruin" some of my characters' fashion wars just because i'd like to play with spears on them 😞.
So if some gemstore packs of spear skins is what would allow me to keep my characters' fashion built around my beloved Lorekeeper skins, or Equinox, Volcanic Stormcaller, Bright Inquisitor, Abyss Stalker, Alchemist, Branded, Funerary, etc. skins... I'd be happy with that.

I really believe this could be one way (and i'm sure other people could imagine many other ways) for Anet to rethink their decision to not retroactively add spear skins to old collections, whilst addressing the concerns such as :
-
"how do they fit within older collections, does it invalidate previous achievements" separate collection/achievement (or even none ?) for spears, keep the old ones as is.
- "how are we supposed to get these skins" : gemstore packs, for instance.
- "how do they tackle all the work to create many skins from old artists" : get money through the gemstore, like they do for so many other skins. They create many mount skins that fit the theme of older mount skins released ages ago, they also get to spend a lot of time & effort into releasing fashion wars content by selling them on the gemstore.

Please Anet, let us keep our beloved fashion wars characters, and not have them watered down with disappointing mismatched spear skins !

• Confused 2