legendary relic cost....could do with a slight reduction?

Cameirus.8407

The cost of the legendary relic, to craft, is now up to 2300g+ and rising....

This seems pretty absurd, for an item that was given away for free recently.

I'm not saying it should not have a cost, its a legendary after all, but I cant be the only one thinking the material requirements for it are pretty absurd, and the cost pretty high.

As it was given away for making 1 legendary rune, I'd say a cost more in line with the cost of crafting a legendary rune would be more appropriate, rather than what is getting farcically close to being the cost of an entire set of runes.....

(for context, the price of lucent motes has gone up 10x since the legendary relic was released, and you need 187,500 of them!, I suspect Anet calculated the total cost on the basis of the old prices, not realising the inflation, which would have meant a relic cost about the same as a legendary rune cost at that time to make)

Edited by Cameirus.8407
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 1

Cost does seem high but this might be because it based acquiring on more long winded or costly methods.

Looking in gw2 efficiency the things that cost the most are the piles of lucent crystal and relics. Can't do much about crystal unless you have some runes or sigil you can salvage. The relics are easy, you get a box of 3 when you turn level 80 on each character, and you get quite a few from achievements in soto onwards.

Next on the list is the mystic coins and ectos, coins and some of the ectos are purely to craft clovers and  the calculations here are based on the average likelihood of obtain 25 clovers when taking chances with the mystic forge. There's an easier and safer (and most likely less costly) way of getting mystic clovers via mystic forge vendor, strike vendor, fractal vendor, wvw vendor, pvp vendor and Wizard's vault (some will require currency from certain game modes).

Tier 6 mats for gifts can be acquired from the laurel merchants, or you can chance some mats in Eye of the north vendor with Volatile magic + gold, even do eternal ice shard farm to get more Volatie magic.

This will hopefully reduce the cost to something more reasonable.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

I'm generally in favor of things becoming easier over time so newer players have a chance to catch up quicker and we can all play together on even footing, but the leggy relic has only been out for a few months, and lucent motes had been trading at vendor value for years prior to its release. Changing the requirements now would be premature, at the least . . .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

48 minutes ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

I don't understand why ANet didn't just make it require Rift Essences, especially given that it was introduced in SotO where Convergences/Rifts were kind of "the thing" (as a component of Obsidian Armour). Lucent Motes already had enough value due to Legendary Sigils & Runes.

The value of Lucent Motes was around  vendor value for years. Also the relic is seen as a core legy, so materials like essences where main source are hidden behind expacs wouldn't make so much sense.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Gop.8713 said:

I'm generally in favor of things becoming easier over time so newer players have a chance to catch up quicker and we can all play together on even footing, but the leggy relic has only been out for a few months, and lucent motes had been trading at vendor value for years prior to its release. Changing the requirements now would be premature, at the least . . .

I'm not saying it should get easier, I'm saying Anet clearly pitched it at a level that did not take into account the MASSIVE inflation of lucent motes. Its not only inflated to an absurd degree (one relic with limited use and no visual character alteration, not even a draw effect is getting close to AN ENTIRE SET OF OBSIDIAN ARMOUR crafting cost....), and its still rising.

Leggy runes and sigils are increasing in price as well, not as much, but they are going up.

And there is no reason that lucent motes will drop, in fact, as supply is eaten up they will continue to rise, so I'm not sure how you think its premature...its been about a year.....

Frankly, at current prices, no one sane is getting a leggy relic, its gone past "well its expensive but its one time so ok", to "lol you have got to be kidding thats ludicrous".

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

It's quite possible that anet not only took into account the increase in lucent mote value, but that it was a goal to give a worthless item value. It has barely been six months since release, and while the price did climb after the JW release, probs form ppls crafting JW relics, it has already started to taper off again . . .

• Like 1

The change has given the Runecrafter's Salvagomatic more value that's for sure.

I think making it take Lucent Motes was a sensible plan, they were otherwise fairly worthless and it did need to be core only ingredients. I would also be happy with them reducing the cost slightly though by reducing the number of Lucent required or introducing other ways for Lucent to drop.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Geoff Fey.1035 said:

I don't understand why ANet didn't just make it require Rift Essences, especially given that it was introduced in SotO where Convergences/Rifts were kind of "the thing" (as a component of Obsidian Armour). Lucent Motes already had enough value due to Legendary Sigils & Runes.

I suppose it's because then it wouldn't be accessible to all players. You don't get the ability to open Rifts unless you get SotO or JW, maybe you can get enough essence from Rifts other people open but you'd be very dependent on others for that.

The number of Lucent Motes seems ridiculous to me, the Relic should cost about the same as two Runes, in my opinion. Instead it requires 187,000 Lucent Motes for a Relic vs 5,000 for a Rune. 37 times as much as a Rune. Enough to make 5 or so full sets of Runes. That's such an imbalance.

My guess is that they really want it as a long term sink for Motes.

• Like 2

You mean the "lucky" ppls who had the six-piece bonus stripped from their existing legendaries and moved to a newly invented equipment slot, then had that bonus partially restored when they were granted a compensatory leggy relic that still needs new relics to be unlocked before you can use them . . ?

You're one of those ppls who is bitter bc you didn't get nine free glyphs for preordering JW aren't you . . ?

Edited by Gop.8713
relic, glyph, glyph, relic, w/e . . .
  • Like 2

On 9/18/2024 at 5:23 PM, Cameirus.8407 said:

The cost of the legendary relic, to craft, is now up to 2300g+ and rising....

This seems pretty absurd, for an item that was given away for free recently.

I'm not saying it should not have a cost, its a legendary after all, but I cant be the only one thinking the material requirements for it are pretty absurd, and the cost pretty high.

As it was given away for making 1 legendary rune, I'd say a cost more in line with the cost of crafting a legendary rune would be more appropriate, rather than what is getting farcically close to being the cost of an entire set of runes.....

(for context, the price of lucent motes has gone up 10x since the legendary relic was released, and you need 187,500 of them!, I suspect Anet calculated the total cost on the basis of the old prices, not realising the inflation, which would have meant a relic cost about the same as a legendary rune cost at that time to make)

If ANet never fixed gen1 precursor achievements to be less outrageously expensive, you can be sure they'll not change legendary relic cost.