Best roamer duos?

Mithral.8516

I know this has been asked in the forums before, but it seems like it's been a while since the last time someone asked this question, and I'm not sure if balance changes may have affected y'all's preferences.

My partner and I recently started wvw for the first time, because of the wvw rush bonus event. I've been having tons of fun on a grenade kit scrapper, and my partner has been mostly playing reaper or scourge. We've been mostly following zergs, but also doing a bit of roaming both solo and duo.

I'd love to hear what duos the fine people of this forum enjoy roaming with! Especially what classes pair well with necro elite specs, as that's my partner's favorite to play.

• Thanks 1

Hi glad you like it.

now you can roam on anything with the proper build. I played reaper myself for a while, and a grenade scrapper sounds good too.

ofc there are willys and thieves to mention who are the kings of wvw roaming (if well played).

mesmer is always a solid choice and i love dawdlers idea of 2 similar mesmers. Haha. Hope i never cross your ways.

finally now me personally i play my elementalist by now. Tempest or core, double dagger mostly. Tho cele gets nerfed, i think it will stay quite good but have to try out. Good thing on ele is it syngergizes with everything.

but the most important thing is that you guys can work together. (And have fun together ofc)

• Like 2

Anything with good access to stealth and ranged DPS like Ranger or Thief paired with anything that has good sustain and CC like a Spellbreaker or Necromancer. Get your opponents to commit to a fight on the sustain and control character and then bring in the ranged DPS character for the kill. Basically a brawler paired with a ganker.

Though if you're not focusing on any particular synergistic strategy mobility is king in WvW. If you're not always directly holding hands, being able to quickly get to your partner will be the most beneficial thing you can do when roaming.

The other key thing is communication, you will have no problem with this as I presume you and your partner are in the same room, but whoever you roam with, being in a voice call is also advantageous. You want to be calling out when new enemies join the fight, if a zerg is about to roll over your little roaming battle, or if you're about to go down and need to bail out etc.

I would actually argue that honing your general WvW tactics, awareness, and call outs will do more for success than any given pairing of builds. Just get good at whatever you enjoy playing the most but with general WvW strategies in mind.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mithral.8516 said:

I know this has been asked in the forums before, but it seems like it's been a while since the last time someone asked this question, and I'm not sure if balance changes may have affected y'all's preferences.

My partner and I recently started wvw for the first time, because of the wvw rush bonus event. I've been having tons of fun on a grenade kit scrapper, and my partner has been mostly playing reaper or scourge. We've been mostly following zergs, but also doing a bit of roaming both solo and duo.

I'd love to hear what duos the fine people of this forum enjoy roaming with! Especially what classes pair well with necro elite specs, as that's my partner's favorite to play.

There are a ton of options honestly. So focus builds that can fight together and separate.  Have both create roamer builds, then mix and match roamer builds that compliment each other. Choice builds that cover each other weaknesses. Key is know the builds and their weaknesses so you both can choice builds that balance that out. Sorry this sounds vague, but there are lot of 2 player combos available. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

There are a ton of options honestly. So focus builds that can fight together and separate.  Have both create roamer builds, then mix and match roamer builds that compliment each other. Choice builds that cover each other weaknesses. Key is know the builds and their weaknesses so you both can choice builds that balance that out. Sorry this sounds vague, but there are lot of 2 player combos available. 

I know what you mean.

easy example: you roam with somebody that clears a lot of condis anyways and he also cleanses you in the meantime.

you don’t need to get condiclear then and can get a more bursty ability.

generally a roamer (alone) has to get everything he needs. Mobility, defense, offense, condiclear, healing etc.

a zergling specializes on 1 aspect and trusts, that others will compensate for it.

if you (@OP) imagine a scale between those two extremes, imagine having a regulator. You can go „a little bit more“ into one or the other extreme but you have to trust your partner and / or stick with him.

and basically every class can be good in both (some just excel somewhere).

• Like 3

7 hours ago, CafPow.1542 said:

I know what you mean.

easy example: you roam with somebody that clears a lot of condis anyways and he also cleanses you in the meantime.

you don’t need to get condiclear then and can get a more bursty ability.

generally a roamer (alone) has to get everything he needs. Mobility, defense, offense, condiclear, healing etc.

a zergling specializes on 1 aspect and trusts, that others will compensate for it.

if you (@OP) imagine a scale between those two extremes, imagine having a regulator. You can go „a little bit more“ into one or the other extreme but you have to trust your partner and / or stick with him.

and basically every class can be good in both (some just excel somewhere).

^^^^ This.

It's like Willie threads. I don't worry about multiple Willie, I am more concerned if I find one that is paired up with a lockdown build. A high mobility burst Thief DPS paired with a heavy tank. Builds that can stand alone but pair up well to cover each others' builds to make them stand even stronger together. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stab Bot

Healer/Condi Clear

Barrier Bot

Boon Bot

Cele Dps

Your "Duo" comp

In all seriousness, let your partner should go dps necro and you go some form of guard for it. Necro lacks stab but if you can help make up for it. Partner will shred. Core Guard, FB or even WB will work.

Edited by Twilightzone.7452
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

well that depend what type of build ur going with 
if its Two Condi Bunker I would say 
- harbinger/Vindicator Duo 

- Bound Axe thief/Druid or Hammer catalyst/Druid or Harbinger/Druid Condi vindo/Druid a lot of classes synergize well with druid in general

- Two Condi Axe thiefs with each others

- Specter/Harbinger

- Catalyst/Vindicator

- Axe-pistol-Staff Mirage/Condi zerker

Now when it comes to  Two Power would say Do like most of what ppls abusing now and double down on 
- Two willbenders with each others, willbender/spellbreaker Willbender/Virtuoso, WIllbender/Mirage,  Willbender/Reaper, Willbender/with any thief except specter, scourge, FB 

- Deadeye/Dardevil Double deadeyes or double dardevil

- Mirage/Catalyst,  Double Chronos Spear/rifles they r bit more bunkery despite being power, 

- Grenade scrapper/Specter

if its Support with a power or condi pair I would say 
tempest with willbender first

Tempest With condi Vindi 2nd

Tempest with Condi Harb 3rd

Tempest with a spear Holo or Nade scrapper 4th

rest can be with pretty much any class except for thieves since they dont synergize well with him 

• Like 2

I think your first step should be define what style you are going for, or roles, even before spec themselves. 

I don't duo roam, but over the years I've seen these combos work rather well. 

Lockdown/High burst. Warrior/WB for example. Nasty combo, one stun break short and it's back to spawn.

Double high mobility/stealth. Pretty much Thief/Thief or WB/WB. You won't win every fight, but definitely won't lose many. 

Bruiser/Stealth high burst. Bruiser absorb damage while putting constant pressure, condi works better here. Mobile/burst player plays in and out using the partner as anchor. Many possibilities here. This is not the fastest style, but it's very strong if played correctly. Things like Harbinger/Thief; Spell breaker/Thief, WB or Mirage is brutal to play against.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

Its like Willie, once one dies the other runs. So a mix is a better option.

The issue with stealth thief is, with a good timing they can kill you almost while in perma stealth (Like spamming pistol 5 + dagger 2 without getting revealed), from the other side, willbender can't perma stealth so there's a target to use your skills 😛

• Like 1

On 10/3/2024 at 9:04 AM, Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

Core ranger and bear 

You are a bad man!

At topic, depends what you want to do. If you're ganking stray people willbenders and thieves, whatever combo will work. You burst, insta down someone then kill the person who comes to rez, then run away because it's not 1 person coming to rez it's 10 people because apparently everyone is itching for loot.