Soulbeast Specialization Updates for the Path of Fire Launch

Karl McLain.5604

@Dante.1763 said:Honestly at this point, if they want to make pets do a standard damage across the board(leave their activation skills alone, and bring them in line with similar player skills),and give the player the damage id be freaking happy with it. That way it wouldnt matter any where near as much.

One would think. But if they haven't done it by now, they will never do such a thing, ever.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Lazze.9870 said:I hope that's the case, but tweaking effects differently because they feel some pet effects are too strong to work as they do outside beastmode wouldn't surprise me at all. And ye, the nerf wasn't needed anyway. Unless another Maul buff is a part of the core ranger changes. Wouldn't mind that along with buffed GS autoattacks. No way that's happening, though.

It could be that they left sic em alone and this was what they felt was a decent trade off but it could also be that sic em is part of the "ranger changes" and we got Wonka'ed. ("You get nothing!")

This clearly isn't everything and I'm afraid we've got more bad news coming.

@Skuzz.6580 said:

@Johnny.1634 said:41 out of 52 of our pets are still bugged and unaffected with quickness, fix this asap!Why would we care about quickness on pets now? Pets are just to stack boons on before going into beastmode and getting their boons.There are far more pressing issues for this class.

Also guys, keep in mind, these are just the PoF Elite Spec changes, there are still general class changes coming, which can include some power scaling buffs on some weapons, among other things, we won't know until those details are released.

Because its a big problem for any ranger that hasn't just clicked Beastmode who MUST also have the trait equiped????Baffles me how so many rangers are downright offended that we get this fixed....You people realize it does nothing but buff us right? Fixing this doesn't nerf us, it allows our pets like the cat family who deal roughly 30% of our damage, to deal 50% MORE damage. On top of that it allows our pets to actually hit mobile targets instead of missing 24/7 or simply being too slow.Its a problem in PoF because we already know several of the new pets like Sand Lion and Cheetah have this bug as well.And it makes no sense that some pets are affected with quickness while other aren't. Leaving us with very limited options of choosing a pet that'll perform well.

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Lazze.9870 said:I hope that's the case, but tweaking effects differently because they feel some pet effects are too strong to work as they do outside beastmode wouldn't surprise me at all. And ye, the nerf wasn't needed anyway. Unless another Maul buff is a part of the core ranger changes. Wouldn't mind that along with buffed GS autoattacks. No way that's happening, though.

It could be that they left sic em alone and this was what they felt was a decent trade off but it could also be that sic em is part of the "ranger changes" and we got Wonka'ed. ("You get nothing!")

This clearly isn't everything and I'm afraid we've got more bad news coming.

Ya, I was kinda surprised sic em didn't get the nerf, then I realized they might just do a complete rework of the skill outside beastmode, which would then change the beastmode version..

@Johnny.1634 said:

@Skuzz.6580 said:

@Johnny.1634 said:41 out of 52 of our pets are still bugged and unaffected with quickness, fix this asap!Why would we care about quickness on pets now? Pets are just to stack boons on before going into beastmode and getting their boons.There are far more pressing issues for this class.

Also guys, keep in mind, these are just the PoF Elite Spec changes, there are still general class changes coming, which can include some power scaling buffs on some weapons, among other things, we won't know until those details are released.

Because its a big problem for any ranger that hasn't just clicked Beastmode who MUST also have the trait equiped????Baffles me how so many rangers are downright offended that we get this fixed....You people realize it does nothing but buff us right? Fixing this doesn't nerf us, it allows our pets like the cat family who deal roughly 30% of our damage, to deal 50% MORE damage. On top of that it allows our pets to actually hit mobile targets instead of missing 24/7 or simply being too slow.Its a problem in PoF because we already know several of the new pets like Sand Lion and Cheetah have this bug as well.And it makes no sense that some pets are affected with quickness while other aren't. Leaving us with very limited options of choosing a pet that'll perform well.

Look, I think we can all agree that every bug the ranger has should be fixed.BUT: Reality is, that this all needs dev time, so at the end of the day anet has to decide on what they spend their resources on.The problem many people have is that these bugfixes have nothing to do with the soulbeast elite specialization, you post them in this thread anyways.

All that some people are saying is that if we need to prioritize one "fix", petswapping in BM or condi-dmg-petswapping-bug, many would prefer to start this expansion with a fun specialization and not wait another 4 months for a potential fix, after most of us have already experienced all the content with a clunky new elite spec of our favorite class.

We survived 5 years with all those ongoing issues and bugs, we won't suddenly log in tomorrow and feel like ranger is completely trash just because those bugs are still in PoF. But many people would be pretty upset if they experience the new content with a bad new elite spec.

@Johnny.1634 said:41 out of 52 of our pets are still bugged and unaffected with quickness, fix this asap!

No matter where I look, be it forums or reddit, while I'm browsing random topics I can count on that every now and then when I least expect it there is Johnny relentlessly posting about the quickness bug. It will be a truly sad day when he loses his will to type those words! Rock on Johnny!

@Substance E.4852 said:

@Morphic.7045 said:

Overall many of these elite specs just look like they had no idea what they had in mind for them. I appreciate the work they put into them but honestly feel that there's a few that need to go back to the drawning board.

The problems is Raids.

The HoT specs were clearly heavily designed in many ways to synchronize well with the new raid system that also introduced us to breakbars. Thus, we got a lot of builds that dealt heavy CC as well as several with laser precision focus on what they were supposed to be. (healbot druid, boonspam herald, perma alacrity chrono). Many also got hard hitting condi builds to undo the "zerk meta". (nice job on just shifting us to viper meta btw)

This time, we don't really have that central concept to build specs around and much of them feel like they came up with themes that would fit the North African / Arabian feel of Elona and then tried to figure out ways to make them work as actual game mechanics.

They were also kind of forced to make all the HoT specs work well because it's a hard sell to convince people to buy HoT when they're preferred class can't use the new elite spec system because theirs kitten. Now, even if spec2.0 kitten for a class, chances are they can just fallback on their spec1.0 and do just fine.

It's honestly the opposite of what I feared for the spec system.

I was worried that Anet would build a house of power-creep cards that would implode on them under it's own weight. Instead, it seems like the game is going to just drown in a sea of false choice filled with "meh" options.

Renegade, Soulbeast, and Mirage feel like the future of all classes going forward unless Anet starts adding in dramatically new combat systems and mechanics or has the courage to explicitly make a spec that's just designed to be good at one aspect of the game.

IE the next ranger spec is a Bunny Thumper type of deal with a hammer that does huge maul style moves all over the place but at a rate that isn't optimal pve dps and too clunky for pvp. It is, however, perfect for blowing up zergs in wvw and is intentionally designed to work there without regard for other game modes. Kind of like how hammer rev is hueg damage in WvW but not great pve dps.

That's about the only way things can keep working going forward without more dimensionality to the combat system.

@Lazze.9870 said:Boring and almost expected dagger changes and a frickin' Maul nerf on top of it.

Ugh.

Edit:
next attack
? So yo're telling me you not only cut the modifier in half, but now the modifier applies to any of our not-worth-a-kitten other GS skills?

Double ugh.

I think he just awkwardly worded his statement since that's how the skill reads already. It just applies to the maul itself because the buff is activated when the skill activates and ends up applying to the next skill impact which will naturally be the maul unless you use the skill to prime the effect beforehand.

Or, it really could be after the skill resolves, in which case, the effect is basically useless.

It didn't need a nerf either way though.

Your theory is mostly correct, except ranger has nothing to "fall back to" because of the inherent design issue.

Almost every single HoT espec are a "straight upgrade" of their original class, meaning the playstyle and the emphasis / role of the class are mostly the same as the original class and basically there's no reason to go back to the old spec whatsoever because the elite specialization are stronger than any of their old specs.

For example, Guardian would go DH for the most dps, and there's no reason to go back to any other older build because they can still be as tanky as their old build even staying as DH.

Daredevil is literally the superior trait of all the other theif's traits and there's no reason to go back to old one.

Tempest is literally a straight upgrade of default Ele with better aoe and condition.

Berserker is literally the stronger version of Warrior with much better burst skill and damage.

Reaper is literally the stronger version of condition necro.

Scrapper traitline itself and the weapon is literally superior to the rest of Engi weapons/ traits. (Except cond p/p build)

Druid on the other hand, is a complete different class compare to ranger, creating an "either or" situation, meaning instead of a powercreep straight upgrade of ranger, it's just a different class entirely.

Most of the HoT espec are powercreep of the original class, whereas Druid is not the original class of ranger, so if you enjoy ranger, there's nothing to fallback to.Because of that , if SBeast suck bulls, it'd put ranger in a tough position because you'd have to go back to vanilla ranger instead of Druid if you don't plan on playing like a different class. This is why us rangers are desperately hoping that Soulbeast is not an inferior 2nd choice, but a STRAIGHT UPGRADE POWERCREEP of the original ranger because we didn't get such spec in HoT.

Honestly, the easiest way for a pet class like ranger to get a powercreep espec is to create a spec that can make our pet mechanic much stronger, like using two pet at the same time and make both of them hit harder and more tanky. This is what a powercreep suppose to be like for ranger, instead of taking away the pet.

Since every other HoT classes got their powercreep version of their original class already, why not let ranger get one too?

@Adenin.5973 said:

@Johnny.1634 said:

@Skuzz.6580 said:

Look, I think we can all agree that every bug the ranger has should be fixed.BUT: Reality is, that this all needs dev time, so at the end of the day anet has to decide on what they spend their resources on.The problem many people have is that these bugfixes have nothing to do with the soulbeast elite specialization, you post them in this thread anyways.

All that some people are saying is that if we need to prioritize one "fix", petswapping in BM or condi-dmg-petswapping-bug, many would prefer to start this expansion with a fun specialization and not wait another 4 months for a potential fix, after most of us have already experienced all the content with a clunky new elite spec of our favorite class.

And some of us have been waiting for this bug fix for 5 years, and yet we're still seeing pets being thrown out with this known bug. I think we're entitled to our fun too, and we've been waiting alot longer for this.Not to mention this hinders 15-30% of a total rangers damage....to say this is a pressing issue is an understatement.

@Johnny.1634 said:

@Adenin.5973 said:

@Johnny.1634 said:

@Skuzz.6580 said:

And some of us have been waiting for this bug fix for 5 years, and yet we're still seeing pets being thrown out with this known bug. I think we're entitles to our fun too, and we've been waiting alot longer for this.

Oh, suddenly rangers are divided about that bug fix? As if I did never wanted to see this issue addressed?

We have different preferences on what to fix on launch day, that's all. Don't start a war about it because the truth is that none of us gets anything.

@Adenin.5973 said:

@Johnny.1634 said:

@Adenin.5973 said:

@Johnny.1634 said:

@Skuzz.6580 said:

And some of us have been waiting for this bug fix for 5 years, and yet we're still seeing pets being thrown out with this known bug. I think we're entitles to our fun too, and we've been waiting alot longer for this.

Oh, suddenly rangers are divided about that bug fix? As if I did never wanted to see this issue addressed?

We have different preferences on what to fix on launch day, that's all. Don't start a war about it because the truth is that none of us gets anything.

Its not suddenly divided, I've been raising awareness over this issue for years now and have seen a lot of resistance. And this isn't a war, your just very misinformed.

@Adenin.5973 said:Look, I think we can all agree that every bug the ranger has should be fixed.BUT: Reality is, that this all needs dev time, so at the end of the day anet has to decide on what they spend their resources on.The problem many people have is that these bugfixes have nothing to do with the soulbeast elite specialization, you post them in this thread anyways.

We survived 5 years with all those ongoing issues and bugs, we won't suddenly log in tomorrow and feel like ranger is completely trash just because those bugs are still in PoF. But many people would be pretty upset if they experience the new content with a bad new elite spec.

But that's the whole point of this, fixing quickness on pets wouldn't just help core ranger alone but ALL 3 of our specs, so I don't really get what you are trying to say here? Hurdur dev time better be spent elsewhere - Exactly where? Looking at the list we got today it doesn't really look like they listened to our feedback on what majority of the community wanted to get fixed in the first place nor did they spent that much dev time on fixes that would benefit SB purely alone making it a nonclunky elite spec for the launch day.

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

@Adenin.5973 said:Look, I think we can all agree that every bug the ranger has should be fixed.BUT: Reality is, that this all needs dev time, so at the end of the day anet has to decide on what they spend their resources on.The problem many people have is that these bugfixes have nothing to do with the soulbeast elite specialization, you post them in this thread anyways.

But that's the whole point of this, fixing quickness on pets wouldn't just help core ranger alone but ALL 3 of our specs, so I don't really get what you are trying to say here? Hurdur dev time better be spent elsewhere - Exactly where? Looking at the list we got today it doesn't really look like they listened to our feedback on what majority of the community wanted to get fixed in the first place nor did they spent that much dev time on fixes that would benefit SB purely alone making it a nonclunky elite spec for the launch day.

So Anet fixes finally a bug many people have forgotten about because they played 5 years with it. Pets now deal more dmg when they've quickness and also pet-conditions deal dmg after the pet was swapped. Tomorrow players log in, spend their HPs on the new soulbeast elite and it feels still clunky, which gives them a bad experience.

Or

Anet gives the player a smooth experience with the new Beastmode mechanic by allowing petswapping and the Soulbeast spec feels already far better. The players log in tomorrow, unlock the new spec and have a good experience compared to with what they've played yesterday (core ranger/druid).

What would you do?The point of this discussion is, why should they fix a 5 year old bug in the midst of the release of their new expansion? Every company fixes the stuff people notice first and that's in our case the new elite specs. No one has ever said that these old bugs are not important or shouldn't be fixed, in fact they should've been fixed a long time ago.

@Adenin.5973 said:

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

So Anet fixes finally a bug many people have forgotten about because they played 5 years with it. Pets now deal more dmg when they've quickness and also pet-conditions deal dmg after the pet was swapped. Tomorrow players log in, spend their HPs on the new soulbeast elite and it feels still clunky, which gives them a bad experience.

Or

Anet gives the player a smooth experience with the new Beastmode mechanic by allowing petswapping and the Soulbeast spec feels already far better. The players log in tomorrow, unlock the new spec and have a good experience compared to with what they've played yesterday (core ranger/druid).

What would you do?The point of this discussion is, why should they fix a 5 year old bug in the midst of the release of their new expansion? Every company fixes the stuff people notice first and that's in our case the new elite specs. No one has ever said that these old bugs are not important or shouldn't be fixed, in fact they should've been fixed a long time ago.

They didnt even really improve soulbeast either though..

@Adenin.5973 said:

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

Or

What would you do?The point of this discussion is, why should they fix a 5 year old bug in the midst of the release of their new expansion? Every company fixes the stuff people notice first and that's in our case the new elite specs. No one has ever said that these bugs are not important or shouldn't be fixed, in fact they should've been fixed a long time ago.

Since your clearly not getting it, I'll lay it out plain and simple for you.

-Because rangers are already upset about their own damage and this is a major factor.-Because its the rangers core mechanic, Soulbeast is not an exception.-Because Soulbeast brings more quickness to the table and PoF brings more pets to our stable, this leaves us with even more bugged content(traits/skills/pets).-Because as myself and others have already stated MULTIPLE times, this is NOT simply a core ranger problem.-No matter what minor fixes you do to some elite specialization, if a core profession isn't working properly (ex: a loss of 45% of your damage) especially if its a core mechanic, the profession is going to feel underwhelming.-This is not a new issue. Pets have been the target of criticism since launch. For the exact reasons quickness would solve (lacking in damage/responsiveness).-It would open up more builds by allowing players to actually pick different pets, giving ALL rangers, be it Core/Druid/SoulBeast a much better experience.

@Dante.1763 said:

@Adenin.5973 said:

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

Or

Yeah, as I said previously. It's not really worth discussing these things. Anet has not fixed these old bugs in 5 years, Anet has not fixed any of the major complaints we had with the SB. They are either not listening, are already happy with the SB in its current form or they're simply limited with what they can do with their engine and their resources (time/devs/money).

I think it's the last one after hearing them complaining how difficult it was to implement the pet merging and how they wanted for years to give us the ability to hide our pet completely but couldn't do it because of technical limitations.

Mainhand sword and greatsword have done abysmal DPS in PvE for 5 years, making power ranger specs obsolete and all their dominant builds condition ones for said 5 years.

What makes you think that's going to change?

It's obvious they only care to balance around spvp/wvw 15-17k HP health pools and PvE be damned. Rapid fire and pet can do burst damage, so nothing else in their weapons can, which keeps getting ranger nerfed because devs only care to balance around burst and not sustained DPS.

@Adenin.5973 said:

@Dante.1763 said:

@Adenin.5973 said:

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

Or

Yeah, as I said previously. It's not really worth discussing these things. Anet has not fixed these old bugs in 5 years, Anet has not fixed any of the major complaints we had with the SB. They are either not listening, are already happy with the SB in its current form or they're simply limited with what they can do with their engine and their resources (time/devs/money).

I think it's the last one after hearing them complaining how difficult it was to implement the pet merging and how they wanted for years to give us the ability to hide our pet completely but couldn't do it because of technical limitations.

Ahh, i see what you mean.

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

@Johnny.1634 said:41 out of 52 of our pets are still bugged and unaffected with quickness, fix this asap!

No matter where I look, be it forums or reddit, while I'm browsing random topics I can count on that every now and then when I least expect it there is Johnny relentlessly posting about the quickness bug. It will be a truly sad day when he loses his will to type those words! Rock on Johnny!

Everywhere I look, I see Johnny posting about this and I absolutely love it!

@Velz.8637 said:Hi Karl, in light of the Purity Of Purpose, please tell me what purpose does that Ranger, Druid, Soul-Beast did you have in mind.You have been promoting build diversification but seem to nerf all builds that are not in-line with your objectives.

Well you can work that out through process of elimination.

@Soilder.3607 said:

@Diskthree.4627 said:

@Exedore.6320 said:

@Diskthree.4627 said:

Maul: This skill grants a merged ranger 25% increased damage on their next attack.

Can we get some clarification on this?

In beastmode, any skill which gives a benefit to your pet instead is granted to yourself. Maul by default gives an Attack of Opportunity to the pet (+50% damage on next attack). A player giving that bonus to themselves got a little silly in combination with some beastmode skills like
. So if you grant the Attack of Opportunity to yourself via beastmode, it's now only a 25% increase.
  1. I already knew that.
  1. That doesn't clear things up. The way the OP is written it sounds like we'll be getting the 25% damage buff in addition to AoO. NOTHING is mentioned about the AoO buff or any other functionality of Maul while in Beastmode changing, so we could assume that this is just something getting tacked on and not a major rework.

So what is it Karl? Are we getting a massive Soulbeast GS nerf or a minor buff?

The AoO buff has been lowered to 25%. The only question is whether or not it still procs concurrently with Maul's attack is the question.

He specifically stated next attack.

@Heibi.4251 said:When I read/heard the "Deadeye" description it sounded like what a ranger does in the wild. But no, it was "let's give the thief more and more stealth and the range of a ranger's longbow." Instead we are getting yet another, what feels like, an afterthought. That's just how it feels to me. Don't know if other players who love the ranger feel the same way about this.

So if you love Ranger, just continue playing core and doing what you love.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:This is precisely what I felt when I saw Deadeye. I hoped against hope that rangers would get a "huntsman" type rifle spec, where we'd finally have a ranged power option. I always imagined we'd trade the move-and-shoot mobility of the LB with a harder-hitting but also more rooted rifle weapon. Alas, it seems pretty obvious to me that Deadeye essentially guarantees we'll never get a rifle spec.

Thankfully, Ranger will never get a Rifle spec, it just does not fit, whatsoever.

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

Everywhere I look, I see Johnny posting about this and I absolutely love it!

Hahahah thanks guys xD I'll keep it up for as long as I can, gotta get this darn thing resolved :P

@Johnny.1634 said:

@Adenin.5973 said:

@FrouFrou.4958 said:

Or

What would you do?The point of this discussion is, why should they fix a 5 year old bug in the midst of the release of their new expansion? Every company fixes the stuff people notice first and that's in our case the new elite specs. No one has ever said that these bugs are not important or shouldn't be fixed, in fact they should've been fixed a long time ago.

Since your clearly not getting it, I'll lay it out plain and simple for you.

-Because rangers are already upset about their own damage and this is a major factor.-Because its the rangers core mechanic, Soulbeast is not an exception.-Because Soulbeast brings more quickness to the table and PoF brings more pets to our stable, this leaves us with even more bugged content(traits/skills/pets).-Because as myself and others have already stated MULTIPLE times, this is NOT simply a core ranger problem.-No matter what minor fixes you do to some elite specialization, if a core profession isn't working properly (ex: a loss of 45% of your damage) especially if its a core mechanic, the profession is going to feel underwhelming.-This is not a new issue. Pets have been the target of criticism since launch. For the exact reasons quickness would solve (lacking in damage/responsiveness).-It would open up more builds by allowing players to actually pick different pets, giving ALL rangers, be it Core/Druid/SoulBeast a much better experience.

First: This is the Soulbeast elite specialization thread. If you haven't noticed it by now: Anet has not posted any core balance updates in here because they don't want to talk about them here. The bug fixes you mentioned are something that would revolve around core mechanics. In fact (i doubt it) the quickness bug could already be fixed. But where would we get that information from? Not from this thread here.

Second: The Core Ranger is not broken. It has bugs, these bugs should be fixed. That said, most people here are pretty satisfied with the ranger overall. Ranger is one of the most popular classes. If the class would've been broken or truly not working properly in a way that everyone instantly notices for over 5 years, no one would play it by now.

Third: The Soulbeast is already built and balanced around the core ranger in its current (bugged) form. The "potential dmg loss" of the core ranger doesn't mean in any way that the Soulbeast will lack dmg or wont be fun to play. There are far more important things that will determine if the Soulbeast will be a fun experience or not. Many, if not most, were already mentioned by the community as feedback and Anet has ignored all of the major complaints, so why would you think they would fix a bug (dumb Pet AI, no condition damage after petswapping, no quickness for most pets) that they can just ignore by building a new elite spec around these bugs (which they just did again with this expansion). In fact they probably would've to rebalance ranger after fixing some of these bugs, it would be even more work for them.

And why do I tell you this? To help you understand, that there is nothing special about this time, a few hours before launch day, that would make Arena net suddenly want to fix these old bugs (I am not only talking about the quickness bug) and that there is no reason why they shouldn't fix issues with the new elites fist, before they fix issues they balanced their game around for the last 5 years.

I didn't buy Path of Fire because Anet has repeatedly disappointed me with every single patch they touch ranger in since release. Not once did I go, "Wow, that was a good change."

The dagger buffs weren't even buffs, and we got nerfed in other ways.

But, by all means, Anet... just keep showing how much you don't care about making ranger better. No buffs, no bug fixes, no interesting traits, (and weak traits), uninspired utilities, crappy mainhand weapon, bad pet AI. You expect me to pay for this?

Archived