Gift of Battle

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:So you mean only second generation. That doesnt mean you have to do fractals. You can do 1st generation and dont do fractals.

Players can do only BIG SPENDER without playing wvw, Unless a totally new player wanted to craft legendary weapon, i guess almost every pver got countless of badge of honor from achievement chest anyway.

Killing vet is also possible without fighting players.

As i player that don’t do fractal, my twilight tier 1 collection has been struck at the 3 missing parts from fractal since day one i unlocked legendary crafting.

@Crossaber.8934 said:

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:So you mean only second generation. That doesnt mean you have to do fractals. You can do 1st generation and dont do fractals.

Players can do only BIG SPENDER without playing wvw, Unless a totally new player wanted to craft legendary weapon, i guess almost every pver got countless of badge of honor from achievement chest anyway.

Killing vet is also possible without fighting players.

As i player that don’t do fractal, my twilight tier 1 collection has been struck at the 3 missing parts from fractal since day one i unlocked legendary crafting.

Thats not the same. You can buy precursor for relatively same price as collection. You can buy stabilising matrix from TP. In order to get gift of battle you have to do stuff in wvw that is for me either boring or boring and time consuming.

I decided to craft shining blade because there was almost no grind (low much more acceptable amount) i just played the game how i wanted to and used gold i get to buy components. If i felt like it i jumped to map to do 1-2 vistas and went to do other stuff.

Gift of battle: you either get to log every day for a long time to wvw or participate in it for long time a session. You cannot just jump in when you want because that would take ages. Out of the few months i was crafting my legendary i enjoyed most of it and than for 10 hours i almost died because it was so boring.

I dont know if players who enjoy wvw wants a player to take their spot who doesnt enjoy it. Last 20 minutes i just afk stand on WP so i get all the ticks from maxed participation while i went to get a snack.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

They are meant to expose you to a wide variety of activities in this game, not to give you a reason to farm your favorite mode over and over.The fact you don't understand this is surprising.

Plus most (all?) legendaries up to Chuka & Champawat
do
require you to do some fractals. As someone who doesn't do many fractals, they're actually the worst part for me, but one of the points of legendaries is to get people to try things outside their comfort bubble.

You can also mostly AFK rewards tracks in WvW. Doing it during peak times/when there's a queue is rude as heck, but it's not hard to get up to T6 participation then watch Netflix or something and go kill a yak or sentry when your participation starts to decay in 10-15 minutes. Rinse and repeat until you're done. Also embrace ticking down when you have time. A lot of WvW'ers will AFK in spawn or Obsidian Sanctum to eek out every last bit of reward track points and pips.

Also, if you do the easy WvW dailies every day, it's quite easy to amass a large enough amount of potions to complete a reward track. I actually recommend doing this regardless because you never know when it'll come in handy, and you can always use them on the halloween or wintersday reward track and sell over a stack of presents when they're at their most expensive for some nice pocket money.

Explain please. If you are talking about cube of dark energy it doesnt mean you have to play fractals. You can just buy it from tp. Am i missing something?

If you craft the gen2 Legendaries that have collections you definitely have to do some Fractals.I thinks there’s a few thrown in for core Precursor crafting too.

Precursor crafting does include Fractals. The Tier 3 and sometimes Tier 1 collections require you to get items from Fractals (or in some cases to take an item to a Fractal - like the Bifrost collection where you have to bring a crystal and a gizmo to the Solid Ocean Fractal and use it just before the boss fight), and they're account bound so you can't buy them or get someone else to do it for you, you have to play the Fractal yourself.

So it's sort-of similar to the Gift of Battle. The intent is that you have to do Fractals to make a legendary but if you really want to you can get around it by buying the precursor (for gen 1) or making a different legendary.

@Danikat.8537 said:

They are meant to expose you to a wide variety of activities in this game, not to give you a reason to farm your favorite mode over and over.The fact you don't understand this is surprising.

Plus most (all?) legendaries up to Chuka & Champawat
do
require you to do some fractals. As someone who doesn't do many fractals, they're actually the worst part for me, but one of the points of legendaries is to get people to try things outside their comfort bubble.

You can also mostly AFK rewards tracks in WvW. Doing it during peak times/when there's a queue is rude as heck, but it's not hard to get up to T6 participation then watch Netflix or something and go kill a yak or sentry when your participation starts to decay in 10-15 minutes. Rinse and repeat until you're done. Also embrace ticking down when you have time. A lot of WvW'ers will AFK in spawn or Obsidian Sanctum to eek out every last bit of reward track points and pips.

Also, if you do the easy WvW dailies every day, it's quite easy to amass a large enough amount of potions to complete a reward track. I actually recommend doing this regardless because you never know when it'll come in handy, and you can always use them on the halloween or wintersday reward track and sell over a stack of presents when they're at their most expensive for some nice pocket money.

Explain please. If you are talking about cube of dark energy it doesnt mean you have to play fractals. You can just buy it from tp. Am i missing something?

If you craft the gen2 Legendaries that have collections you definitely have to do some Fractals.I thinks there’s a few thrown in for core Precursor crafting too.

Precursor crafting does include Fractals. The Tier 3 and sometimes Tier 1 collections require you to get items from Fractals (or in some cases to take an item to a Fractal - like the Bifrost collection where you have to bring a crystal and a gizmo to the Solid Ocean Fractal and use it just before the boss fight), and they're account bound so you can't buy them or get someone else to do it for you, you have to play the Fractal yourself.

So it's sort-of similar to the Gift of Battle. The intent is that you have to do Fractals to make a legendary but if you really want to you can get around it by buying the precursor (for gen 1) or making a different legendary.

Exactly, precursor is 40g more then its crafting price on TP. Some legendaries needs crafted precursor, some needs gift of exploration, some dungeons, some dragobstand but all needs gift of battle.

Thanks god that shards of glory can be bought on tp because i wouldnt ever consider legendary when i would have to play pvp

I think its ok to require wvw for legendary but the way you get the gift is bad. I would be ok if you get for example points for capturing stuff, killing veterans, players etc. This way you could either jump in do something for 15 minutes get out or play for hours in one day and you would get it roughly after same time in wvw

But now you have to max participation and then the game punishes you for leaving wvw. Its much more faster to take boosters and grind gift of battle in one day then to play each day for 15 minutes. (Faster = less time in wvw).

If players wouldnt be punished for playing wvw only for up to 30 minutes a day they wouldnt complain about gift of battle

@Eramonster.2718 said:There was a time, exploring WvW maps is part of the requirement for Gift of Explorer. Give and take, it is not part of the requirement for map completion now, and Gift of Battle was subbed in.Edit: The moment you realised the vista/poi needed is inside enemy's Garrison/Keep :anguished:

Or when being in the crappiest world who barely hold its keep in eb and you needed sm...

@Danikat.8537 said:So it's sort-of similar to the Gift of Battle. The intent is that you have to do Fractals to make a legendary but if you really want to you can get around it by buying the precursor (for gen 1) or making a different legendary.

I think the big difference is PvE and PvP. While fractals are still player versus environment, even if instanced, WvW is not. And many players loath the idea of doing PvP. Not liking fractals is not on the same level as not liking PvP. That said, since you can simply do dailies in WvW, it works for me. When I got my first Gift of Battle, I wasn't really aware that I could have done it with dailies only, so I actually played that boring mode for hours with boosters to get xp for the reward track. It was horrible. Now I just do the dailies and if I get caught by a WvW player, I don't really care. I just port back to the waypoint and pick another camp to capture.

@"ButcherofMalakir.4067" said:I think its ok to require wvw for legendary but the way you get the gift is bad. I would be ok if you get for example points for capturing stuff, killing veterans, players etc. This way you could either jump in do something for 15 minutes get out or play for hours in one day and you would get it roughly after same time in wvw

But now you have to max participation and then the game punishes you for leaving wvw. Its much more faster to take boosters and grind gift of battle in one day then to play each day for 15 minutes. (Faster = less time in wvw).

If players wouldnt be punished for playing wvw only for up to 30 minutes a day they wouldnt complain about gift of battle

You don't seem to understand the difference between "punish" and "not reward".

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:I think its ok to require wvw for legendary but the way you get the gift is bad. I would be ok if you get for example points for capturing stuff, killing veterans, players etc. This way you could either jump in do something for 15 minutes get out or play for hours in one day and you would get it roughly after same time in wvw

You don't need max participation to get the Gift. Progress is faster at higher tiers but you gain reward track progress even at Tier 1 participation, which you can easily get (and maintain) it by doing exactly what you listed - capturing points, killing veterans and players. Or you can use the dailies to get potions which progress the reward track by a fixed amount even if you're not in WvW at the time.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:I think its ok to require wvw for legendary but the way you get the gift is bad. I would be ok if you get for example points for capturing stuff, killing veterans, players etc. This way you could either jump in do something for 15 minutes get out or play for hours in one day and you would get it roughly after same time in wvw

You don't need max participation to get the Gift. Progress is faster at higher tiers but you gain reward track progress even at Tier 1 participation, which you can easily get (and maintain) it by doing exactly what you listed - capturing points, killing veterans and players. Or you can use the dailies to get potions which progress the reward track by a fixed amount even if you're not in WvW at the time.

I take that as a punishment. Lets say i farm max participation in 2 minutes and then leave - i get 0 progress towards gift of battle but if i just afk there until participation runs out i get multiple number of ticks any only limitation is i cannot do something else.

I know i dont need max participation. Here is a comparation. Lets say you need 1000 relics from fractals for legendary. For first fractal you get 1, for second 2 and so on. Obviously you can play one fractal a day and get it in 1000 days and 1000 fractals, but if you do 5 per day you need only 67 days and 334 fractals runs.

This system says "either you will play the content you hate for much more time then needed or you will sit behind computer and do it for hours"

@Kallist.5917 said:Maybe someone can explain the thinking on this. Why is it that Legendary weapons require an item that can only be obtained in Player Vs Player game modes, Yet not one step requires a player step foot in PvE? This is a pretty big turnoff for anyone who doesn't enjoy that content, yet wants to make a legendary. In the past, it wasn't a big deal, you could get Gift of Battle for nothing. But now its locked behind following some group around doing nothing for hours on end to have a few minutes of fighting, OR PvP where you get to experience the highest form of toxicity that Guild Wars 2 has to offer. And either way, their both just so kitten boring. At lest let us get them from Fractals.

...Well you're wrong?1) Gifts of Exploration, Maguuma Mastery and Desert Mastery, all require you to do PvE activities.2) All Gen 1 Legendary weapons require gifts that can only be obtained by trading Dungeon Tokens.3) All Gen 2.1 Legendary Weapons require Tributes that can only be obtained through PvE currencies.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:

I take that as a punishment. Lets say i farm max participation in 2 minutes and then leave - i get 0 progress towards gift of battle but if i just afk there until participation runs out i get multiple number of ticks any only limitation is i cannot do something else.

I know i dont need max participation. Here is a comparation. Lets say you need 1000 relics from fractals for legendary. For first fractal you get 1, for second 2 and so on. Obviously you can play one fractal a day and get it in 1000 days and 1000 fractals, but if you do 5 per day you need only 67 days and 334 fractals runs.

This system says "either you will play the content you hate for much more time then needed or you will sit behind computer and do it for hours"

This logic is weak.

Ok let me try to explain my point better. Lets say there is player Johny and he doesnt enjoy wvw. He want gift of battle so he knows he will have to play wvw and he is fine with that. He has a decision to makea) Rush gift of battle in few hours in one day. That means that he will left hating wvw much more because he goes into few hours of frustration and know he cannot quit - basicaly a job.b) Do dailies/play wvw for a small amout of time each day. That way he dont have to deal with long hours of frustration but still will have to do stuff he doesnt enjoy like capturing random ruins and so on. Every wvw daily exept big spender requires you to PLAY wvw. But instead of few hours of borderom he will play maybe even 10 times more wvw.

I guess you like wvw so i think its hard for you to understand. I think there is another aspect of the game you dont like and i do and you need it done for your legendary. The problem i have with Gift of battle is that aquisitio rate based on time spend in wvw is not linear or semi linear.

I learned my lesson so next legendary i am crafting is armor because there is no content i dont enjoy required. Gl with your legendaries and hope you enjoy game at least as much as i do whatever part of the game you want to play.

The things listed above, wouldn’t actually be an issue had the player planned for what they needed. If you plan to build a legendary, you should start the Gift of Battle track immediately.Let’s say it takes the average player 4 months (~120 days) to build a legendary from start to finish.You get 1 potion for simple task dailies, 2 for Objective dailies, so maximum 6 per day. Let’s say you only do the 2 simple tasks, it will take maximum 40 days of simple wvw dailies to finish the track in its entirety, for the average player, this method gets the GoB in a timely fashion while they're in the ‘construction’ period of the legendary they want (Precursor collections, Gift of (insert Legendary), gathering/buying Fine Crafting materials for Mystic Tribute/Gift of Fortune etc). If some days you do the objective dailies too, this timeframe is cut shorter. If you participate it's cut even shorter. With the WvW Skirmish chests now giving Instant Reward track progress, it makes even more sense to just pop all boosters for WvW Reward track gains, and get your participation to +195 and stick it out for 5hrs.

Tl:dr;Plan better.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:The problem i have with Gift of battle is that aquisition rate based on time spend in wvw is not linear or semi linear.

This is what I don't get. I don't quite understand what you mean about it being semi/linear or not.You don't lose progress on reward tracks. You get out what you put in. You input more effort into participating in WvW, you finish it quicker. It's really that simple, and if you want it to be 'linear' you can't get any more straight forward than that.You just do the easy dailies, you get 250pts/potion towards the reward track, which needs 20,000pts to fill. You'll still get it, just slower.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:The things listed above, wouldn’t actually be an issue had the player planned for what they needed. If you plan to build a legendary, you should start the Gift of Battle track immediately.Let’s say it takes the average player 4 months (~120 days) to build a legendary from start to finish.You get 1 potion for simple task dailies, 2 for Objective dailies, so maximum 6 per day. Let’s say you only do the 2 simple tasks, it will take maximum 40 days of simple wvw dailies to finish the track in its entirety, for the average player, this method gets the GoB in a timely fashion while they're in the ‘construction’ period of the legendary they want (Precursor collections, Gift of (insert Legendary), gathering/buying Fine Crafting materials for Mystic Tribute/Gift of Fortune etc). If some days you do the objective dailies too, this timeframe is cut shorter. If you participate it's cut even shorter. With the WvW Skirmish chests now giving Instant Reward track progress, it makes even more sense to just pop all boosters for WvW Reward track gains, and get your participation to +195 and stick it out for 5hrs.

Tl:dr;Plan better.

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:The problem i have with Gift of battle is that aquisition rate based on time spend in wvw is not linear or semi linear.

This is what I don't get. I don't quite understand what you mean about it being semi/linear or not.You don't lose progress on reward tracks. You get out what you put in.
You input more effort into participating in WvW, you finish it quicker
. It's really that simple, and if you want it to be 'linear' you can't get any more straight forward than that.You just do the easy dailies, you get 250pts/potion towards the reward track, which needs 20,000pts to fill. You'll still get it, just slower.

What i ment is that the more time i play wvw the more points per time i get. That would be ok i guess. But if i leave wvw i lost all potential points i already earned by plaing wvw. (The one locked behind participation ticks). If i stay until participation run out i get more points without playing wvw.

I agree. My number one piece of advice for anyone starting a legendary is to at least read into what's needed - I like to make a list/spreadsheet listing everything I'll need so I can track my progress. (I know there's sites which will do it for you, but I like my method.) Number two is do not do it in order - start on the things you think will take the longest first.

When I started my most recent legendary the things I did first were making a mental note to save laurels for T6 mats, started working on map completion and started the gift of battle reward track. Second step was to pull stuff out my bank/material storage I knew I'd need later on like iron and copper ore (the precursor collection needs 100 of each), materials for the Prismatic Lodestone and 250 ectoplasm and put them in my private guild bank so I don't accidentally sell them when raiding the bank for gold and 3rd was to start working on the time-gated materials for the tier 2 precursor collection. That's before I even unlocked the tier 1 precursor collection.

As it turned out I actually got the Gift of Battle done quite quickly. I don't play WvW often but I don't mind doing it and I knew from doing it before that the reward track would only take me about 6-8 hours, I just started it early so I wouldn't feel forced to play when I wasn't in the mood for it. Although, silly as it sounds the combination of using a 24 hour Birthday Booster (one of 45 I had in the bank!) and the skirmish reward chests which reset at the end of the week meant I felt like I was wasting time if I wasn't playing WvW in the evening. This is why I don't play subscription games - apart from the Memories of Battle (which I could buy) I don't even need anything from the skirmish chests and the booster would be useful in PvE too but it was still enough to make me feel like I had to play.

Luckily I enjoyed it most of the time. I think there was only 1 night I gave up because the only map I could get into had 1 guild squad who would not move if anyone else tried to join them and one commander who seemed to just be running in circles for no particular reason, and going by Team chat the other maps weren't much better.

@"Danikat.8537" said:Not one step requires PvE? I think you're forgetting the Gift of Exploration which requires 100% core Tyria map completion. That's a lot of PvE, and unlike with the Gift of Battle there's no way around it.

As for why it's required I think it's simply because Anet wanted legendaries to be the ultimate goal in GW2 - the most prestigious, difficult to obtain items and thought that should mean playing every game mode. I suspect the only reason PvP was excluded was because originally there was no way to use a legendary in PvP so it wouldn't have made any sense.

If it's any help I wrote a guide to getting the Gift of Battle for people with no WvW experience, and there's many suggestions in the comments for ways to get it without ever actually engaging in WvW combat. (The easiest, but also slowest, is to buy Badges of Tribute in your guild hall when WvW Big Spender is a daily achievement.)

i like your guide, i made a Predator guide that also has steps that people can use for other legendaries ill share it

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1q3nRKHHweaNr1OOGxst2Boh7TCbjcsmhzNx20t5ZpFY/edit?usp=sharing

"commenting is live in the link be kind"

Archived