Whats the Point of enemy Emotes!?

Jumpin Lumpix.6108

It's understandably hard for some people to adjust to MMOs, as there are always people who will do their best to create a toxic atmosphere.

Some will even try to bring that toxicity out with types of communication geared towards encouraging such behavior of others.

I think that some of our Mods have said it best: don't reply to posts or communications that are not helpful.

Best thing to do is ignore it, as that communication is even possible even without emotes.

Heck, same server, same squad (if someone is allowed in) same guild, forums etc. all are possible sources of toxicity in life and MMOs. If something along those lines bother you, turning off emotes in game will keep you from seeing them, staying away from the forums will prevent seeing posts that bother you, and avoiding TS/squads or even turning off chat altogether would help.

Good luck out there! Wish you the best! And an enjoyable one too!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm seeing an increase in the number of people who want advocate restrictions of free speech so their feelings don't get hurt or get offended by other people behavior. I guess most people here never lived through dictatorship regimes or countries who never fully recovered after such regimes and don't understand how censuring and restricting free speech is not only not solving their personal problems, but also how dangerous it is and how many other problems and behaviors it can rise.

My advise is to think carefully of what you wish for and it's better to grow up and stop being affected by other people useless taunts instead of requesting things you don't even consider what effect can have long term only to satisfy a childish impulse that makes you believe you are punishing people who did wrong to you by mocking you in game.

People who like to make other players miserable for kicks should grow up after they realize they are not that important as other players ignore their attempts to get attention. People who get hurt for any thing that doesn't go according to their own belief and consider it offensive should grow up and understand there are other people who have other opinions and other standings, life if more diverse then their own little world and stop crying about every thing like they own it.

Best regards.

@NuhDah.9812 said:I'm seeing an increase in the number of people who want advocate restrictions of free speech so their feelings don't get hurt or get offended by other people behavior. I guess most people here never lived through dictatorship regimes or countries who never fully recovered after such regimes and don't understand how censuring and restricting free speech is not only not solving their personal problems, but also how dangerous it is and how many other problems and behaviors it can rise.

My advise is to think carefully of what you wish for and it's better to grow up and stop being affected by other people useless taunts instead of requesting things you don't even consider what effect can have long term only to satisfy a childish impulse that makes you believe you are punishing people who did wrong to you by mocking you in game.

People who like to make other players miserable for kicks should grow up after they realize they are not that important as other players ignore their attempts to get attention. People who get hurt for any thing that doesn't go according to their own belief and consider it offensive should grow up and understand there are other people who have other opinions and other standings, life if more diverse then their own little world and stop crying about every thing like they own it.

Best regards.

Oh well free speech, OK then why not open it up so we can see everything the enemy servers are saying? Instead it's passive aggressive nonsense.

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

@NuhDah.9812 said:I'm seeing an increase in the number of people who want advocate restrictions of free speech so their feelings don't get hurt or get offended by other people behavior. I guess most people here never lived through dictatorship regimes or countries who never fully recovered after such regimes and don't understand how censuring and restricting free speech is not only not solving their personal problems, but also how dangerous it is and how many other problems and behaviors it can rise.

Best regards.

Oh well free speech, OK then why not open it up so we can see everything the enemy servers are saying? Instead it's passive aggressive nonsense.

Would also be nice if we could also just say how we really feels, but sadly that never is the case.

Laughing on a corpse is not griefing, my god, people are extremely and unnecessarily sensitive.

Camping all exits of a home spawn with siege? Closer to griefing but it's still not it.

Throwing down siege on top of a commander's siege so that it can't be built and siege is wasted? Cross server "spying"? That's griefing.

Laughing on a corpse is virtually, gasp, nothing.

Free speech is a right, not an obligation as you put it... if you want to tell only your family or whoever you want to what you're doing tomorrow, is different from exposing everything you do tomorrow to the whole world. I guess you understand my point. As for the "how you really feel" part, you are free to tell anyone whatever you wish to, as well as you're responsible for what you say. It's nothing difficult and it's called liberty.

what is the intention of such behaviour if you say i shouldnt feel offended by it?
rarely do i die without any corpse jumping/laughing/dancing/siege etc my issue with it is, that i dont understand whats going on in those people to be so toxic without reason. and as there is no report option for this, all i can do is look for those people, kill them and return the favor. over and over again to calm down and becomming part of the problem myself. sure i could ignore it but i dont want to ignore being disrespected by some trash that doesnt stand a chance to deafeat me on his own.

@"MUDse.7623" said:what is the intention of such behaviour if you say i shouldnt feel offended by it?

rarely do i die without any corpse jumping/laughing/dancing/siege etc my issue with it is, that i dont understand whats going on in those people to be so toxic without reason. and as there is no report option for this, all i can do is look for those people, kill them and return the favor. over and over again to calm down and becomming part of the problem myself. sure i could ignore it but i dont want to ignore being disrespected by some trash that doesnt stand a chance to deafeat me on his own.

So in your opinion, doing something for revenge and to satisfy your hurt ego is better than doing the thing that actually gets results. Then again, if "some trash" can make you feel disrespected in the first place I shouldn't be expecting a "sounder" reasoning than this.

I use emotes extensively to be friendly with enemy players. :( I'll wave, sleep, or cower if I'm not looking for a fight, cheer if they successfully take out a camp, cry if they fail to do so, and bow if I turn the tables on their ambush against me. I'm sure many players will call me an evil monster for not "playing as intended", but it still shows that being rude isn't the only way to use emotes. I see a lot of enemy players use their emotes in a friendly manner, as well, particularly if I initiate it.

@"Toolbox.9375" said:I use emotes extensively to be friendly with enemy players. :( I'll wave, sleep, or cower if I'm not looking for a fight, cheer if they successfully take out a camp, cry if they fail to do so, and bow if I turn the tables on their ambush against me. I'm sure many players will call me an evil monster for not "playing as intended", but it still shows that being rude isn't the only way to use emotes. I see a lot of enemy players use their emotes in a friendly manner, as well, particularly if I initiate it.

Agreed there are a lot of friendly emote interactions such that it's better to have them enabled.

Anyway there's always some measure of disrespectful behaviour from a subsection of the population in any kind of competitive environment IRL - eg I experience it in sport - sore loser, arrogant winner (this I find more annoying tbh), lack of patience/tolerance, who is "superior/inferior", etc. Just the anonymity of a game that allows for higher levels of this than if it were face to face.

But fortunately it is a small fraction of the population so can be ignored in favour of the majority of nice players.

@"Toolbox.9375" said:I use emotes extensively to be friendly with enemy players. :( I'll wave, sleep, or cower if I'm not looking for a fight, cheer if they successfully take out a camp, cry if they fail to do so, and bow if I turn the tables on their ambush against me. I'm sure many players will call me an evil monster for not "playing as intended", but it still shows that being rude isn't the only way to use emotes. I see a lot of enemy players use their emotes in a friendly manner, as well, particularly if I initiate it.

Sorry but my observation is that the vast majority of emotes used by the enemy side is used to grief or make fun of, even though yes they could be used to make nice, the majority of them though aren't. I'd rather have complete communication with the other servers or none. The passive aggressive grey area we are in with emotes only serves to annoy people, especially since most emote interactions serve to communicate that it's hilarious to harass people.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@derd.6413 said:taunting isn't griefing.

One person's taunt is anothers grief. Who decides where the line is?

Anet does.

The reporting system in WvW works like it does here. AND if it is concerning enough, then send a report directly to the Anet email with a description of your concerns!

pls don't. all it will do is slow down anets ability to solve actual issues.

@derd.6413 said:

Anet does.

The reporting system in WvW works like it does here. AND if it is concerning enough, then send a report directly to the Anet email with a description of your concerns!

That it may. It also gives the OP an avenue if he feels he has been wronged!

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

Anet does.

There's no point in reporting it, I'm simply wondering what Anet was thinking when it allowed a social grey area of communication between enemy servers.

If an emote made by an enemy player is the gateway to escalating grief towards another player, why have it in the first place.

@Jumpin Lumpix.6108 said:

Anet does.

There's no point in reporting it, I'm simply wondering what Anet was thinking when it allowed a social grey area of communication between enemy servers.

Ahh. Well. GW 1 actually had many more emotes. Many of which could be deemed much more offensive. Do you think maybe Anet realized that and decreased the number to allow more appropriate interactions?

Anet does.

Ahh. Well. GW 1 actually had many more emotes. Many of which could be deemed much more offensive. Do you think maybe Anet realized that and decreased the number to allow more appropriate interactions?

Why have any emotes? they are 99% used to insult other people. You'd think they'd want to reduce the number of reports of harassing and griefing, blocking emotes is a step in that direction

Anet does.

Why have any emotes? they are 99% used to insult other people. You'd think they'd want to reduce the number of reports of harassing and griefing, blocking emotes is a step in that direction

if you remove emotes they'll find other ways to taunt after kill. and only a minority considers taunting after kill "harassment", most ppl find it mildly annoying

@Warkind.6745 said:A few months ago someone jumped on my body, so let's have an update that restricts players from jumping in WvW.

Arbitrary restrictions are more fun than interactions between players.

Well I guess negative interactions are better then none. I disagree but OK. It adds to toxicity which is prevalent. I'd be OK if they opened all communication up, but for some reason they determined that wasn't OK? Wonder why they did that? And I wonder why they stopped short of emotes.

Archived