I don't use discord

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:The reason they use them simply is the provide far better functionality than what the game does, with the added bonus of linking players in a guild when not in game. Guild websites used to do this more as a widespread too., but these days discord etc is just better set up, especially with the mobile access too.

Im not a big fan of these things despite being a user at times, but the advantages to guilds are pretty massive compared to limitations the game provides.

I had a bad stuttering problem in school. It's gone away now. Kids were not kind to me. I talk much easier just in-game chat. I prefer only in-game chat. Someone on here was wanting to help me. I said yea sure. They wanted to show me screenshots of discord on their webcam

. Took two hours, it didn't work. They tried to get me install Skype. I tried that didn't work. Leaving me overly frustrated. I'd prefer only in-game chat if I could.

Which is a perfectly fine and reasonable reason not to want to use it. I would have a private word with an officer, but if it helps, no guild I've ever associated with has ever pushed for compulsory voice chat.

It feels like it. Twice a guild officer had encouraged me to use discord in PM's. I went so far to tell them my discord ID but they want me to add them to discord. Should I just leave the guild?

???????????

Why do people threat or feel insecure over talking to others via a Mic?

Have you never heard of Social Anxiety? It can be incredibly crippling.

Yes. I can understand this meeting people irl as I sometimes get a bit "flustered" but behind a pc screen I thought it would be a bit more relaxed

Nope. Public speaking is a huge part of it too. Regardless of audience size.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:The reason they use them simply is the provide far better functionality than what the game does, with the added bonus of linking players in a guild when not in game. Guild websites used to do this more as a widespread too., but these days discord etc is just better set up, especially with the mobile access too.

Im not a big fan of these things despite being a user at times, but the advantages to guilds are pretty massive compared to limitations the game provides.

I had a bad stuttering problem in school. It's gone away now. Kids were not kind to me. I talk much easier just in-game chat. I prefer only in-game chat. Someone on here was wanting to help me. I said yea sure. They wanted to show me screenshots of discord on their webcam

. Took two hours, it didn't work. They tried to get me install Skype. I tried that didn't work. Leaving me overly frustrated. I'd prefer only in-game chat if I could.

Which is a perfectly fine and reasonable reason not to want to use it. I would have a private word with an officer, but if it helps, no guild I've ever associated with has ever pushed for compulsory voice chat.

It feels like it. Twice a guild officer had encouraged me to use discord in PM's. I went so far to tell them my discord ID but they want me to add them to discord. Should I just leave the guild?

???????????

That should be none of your business for as long as such people respect guild rules and not create public crusades.

@Fat Disgrace.4275 said:

???????????

Have you never heard of Social Anxiety? It can be incredibly crippling.

Yes. I can understand this meeting people irl as I sometimes get a bit "flustered" but behind a pc screen I thought it would be a bit more relaxed

That's the thing with anxiety. Most of the time, it's not logical, and taking a logical approach to it will not help. Like, for me, I have huge anxiety when it comes to public speaking. This applies to formal speeches all the way down to standing up in front of a room of friends and making an announcement. I've never been in an embarassing or bad situation when I've spoken in public, and I know there's logically nothing "bad" that can happen to me even if I did say something silly or embarrassing. But knowing that doesn't make the anxiety any better, unfortunately. I've learned to cope with and in some ways move past parts of it it over the years, but I still avoid speaking over TS3 or Discord because it's just not worth the mental effort it takes for me to do it.

Lots of people just like to hear themselves talk... all the egos, all the childishness, all the racist comments, all the sexist comments, all the innuendos, etc. are hidden behind Internet anonymity, but instead of being text in the chat boxes where the miscreants can be reported, it is instead verbalized. Then people act like extraordinary jerks because they can get away with it.Because of that, I hang my headset over the door of the computer cabinet instead of listening to the garbage. I can still hear enough sound from the game that I don't need to wear the headset.Unfortunately, there are a lot of groups/squads/zergs (WvW is the worst) where the leaders insist on using one or more of the various voice systems available for games.No, thanks; I'll go solo.

I should think the utility of Discord would be self evident. If you're suffering from some sort of mental illness that makes interacting with others hard for you then consider seeking professional help instead of appealing to a forum that can't help you.

@Israel.7056 said:I should think the utility of Discord would be self evident. If you're suffering from some sort of mental illness that makes interacting with others hard for you then consider seeking professional help instead of appealing to a forum that can't help you.

This is neither helpful, nor compassionate. Please don't be mean to people who suffer a genuine illness that makes it difficult to talk. Anxiety is a serious issue, and is not necessarily easily solved - and definitely not quickly so.

I'd also note that I tend to avoid voice chat systems because I have a physical disability that makes it challenging for me to understand people talking on them; while I understand the utility of them, the fact is that they are not a universal panacea, and they are not accessible to everyone.

Please try to be nicer to other people.

OK it boils down to this:

If you are in a guild that wants you to use discord and you don't want to use it, leave the guild and find one that doesn't expect you to use discord, rather than going on a crusade to try and influence all of GW2 community to think like you do or justify how you feel.. You don't need to justify yourself to anybody-on-any-game-ever .

By that same token, you should not expect any guild to grant you special treatment. You don't have to be in that guild, and they don't have to allow you to stay. I supported your notion that requiring Discord is not a good thing. I can't stand it. I can't stand listening to people talking about their day to absolute strangers, or gods forbid listening to romantic small talk between two poeple (PUKE!!!) or spouting their political beliefs whether I agree with them or not, or dominating the entire conversations with their long history of medical problems and how modern medicine is just not doing them justice and they've been done wrong by their 30 doctors they've seen who are all apparently total quacks yadda yadda yadda, or going on blast about their terrible ex boy/girlfriends or hearing their sexual preferences in detail ad nauseum. But I will not make a forum post expecting people to modify their behavior to suit me.

Leave the guild and find another.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

Not nearly as bad as I imagined.

Speaking from personal experience, with social anxiety this is usually what it comes down to once you've finally faced your fears. It's never as bad as your mind imagined it would be. Experience this a few more times and it might become easier for you to deal with your anxiety issues. After all, experience is the best teacher.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@Israel.7056 said:I should think the utility of Discord would be self evident. If you're suffering from some sort of mental illness that makes interacting with others hard for you then consider seeking professional help instead of appealing to a forum that can't help you.

This is neither helpful, nor compassionate. Please don't be mean to people who suffer a genuine illness that makes it difficult to talk. Anxiety is a serious issue, and is not necessarily easily solved - and definitely not quickly so.

I'd also note that I tend to avoid voice chat systems because I have a physical disability that makes it challenging for me to understand people talking on them; while I understand the utility of them, the fact is that they are not a universal panacea, and they are not accessible to everyone.

I'm not being mean I think I'm one of the only people attempting to be helpful. No one can do anything for him/her here except commiserate. Maybe that's all the OP wants. But if this person is truly suffering from some sort of mental illness then he/she needs to seek professional help not appeal to an internet forum that can't really do anything about the problem.

If someone has a physical disability that prevents them from using coms then they're going to be very limited in terms of how much they can participate and at what level of organization they can participate, particularly in PvP or WvW. This is unfortunate but that's just the way it is.

The unfortunate truth for people with social anxiety disorders is that MMOs are socially driven multiplayer games and they are going to involve some amount of social interaction if one is going to participate in organized activities regardless of the game mode. If they can't deal with that then perhaps they should be playing single player games not whining because someone asked them to get in discord.

To OP: the problem here seems to be you; fix yourself. Don't expect others to cater to you just because human interaction frightens you.

Just to be perfectly clear for the OP:

Most guilds in games these days use discord because it functions as an easy-to-use no-hassle guild website. You have chat channels, announcements, sign-ups, etc without ever even having to touch voice-chat.

Discord is NOT a voice-chat program like Ventrilo or Teamspeak. It's an all-in-one communication tool. Yes, it has voice chat, but by joining a server you don't have to join a voice channel and ever hear a soul.

@Israel.7056 said:

I'm not being mean I think I'm one of the only people attempting to be helpful. No one can do anything for him/her here except commiserate. Maybe that's all the OP wants. But if this person is truly suffering from some sort of mental illness then he/she needs to seek professional help not appeal to an internet forum that can't really do anything about the problem.

If someone has a physical disability that prevents them from using coms then they're going to be very limited in terms of how much they can participate and at what level of organization they can participate, particularly in PvP or WvW. This is unfortunate but that's just the way it is.

The unfortunate truth for people with social anxiety disorders is that MMOs are socially driven multiplayer games and they are going to involve some amount of social interaction if one is going to participate in organized activities regardless of the game mode. If they can't deal with that then perhaps they should be playing single player games not whining because someone asked them to get in discord.

To OP: the problem here seems to be you; fix yourself. Don't expect others to cater to you just because human interaction frightens you.

It is disappointing because I have social anxiety you leaped to "suffering from a mental illness" I mean really? and your comment "I think I'm one of the few trying to help" no you are trying to shut me down and cite mental illness. Anxiety is a very real thing. Just because you can't see it. Doesn't mean it's not there. Your comments are not helpful they are the opposite.

I think all people deserve to be treated with respect and dignity when you make those kinds of comments are very hurtful and not helpful. You are stereotyping me. I'm not crazy. I just don't do social interaction that naturally as other people. I'm in isolation most of the time except for the internet. Just because I may be awkward at it, doesn't mean I'm ill.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

It is disappointing because I have social anxiety you leaped to "suffering from a mental illness" I mean really? and your comment "I think I'm one of the few trying to help" no you are trying to shut me down and cite mental illness. Anxiety is a very real thing. Just because you can't see it. Doesn't mean it's not there. Your comments are not helpful they are the opposite.

I think all people deserve to be treated with respect and dignity when you make those kinds of comments are very hurtful and not helpful. You are stereotyping me. I'm not crazy. I just don't do social interaction that naturally as other people. I'm in isolation most of the time except for the internet. Just because I may be awkward at it, doesn't mean I'm ill.

Isnt social anxiety disorder a mental illness?

If someone says they have a cold it is not derogatory to comment that they are ill.

I think I have all the help I need. I posted about what the guild said. So that should end it. If people's advice is that I should stop playing the game and do something solo on another game on something I enjoy playing just because of its harder for me. Than whoa.This is the reason I do not tell people normally. Because they judge, they label you. They use as a reason to discredit you. I am a human being. I just wanted advice.

Thanks..

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

I didn't say your anxiety isn't real. But it sounds like pretty severe social anxiety if you're honestly worried at the prospect of having to speak to someone online. Why are you in isolation most of the time? Is it self imposed? Could it be because you're suffering from some sort of crippling mental illness that makes you bawk at the notion of even basic human interaction?

You don't get respect unless you earn it and it sounds to me like you're just asking for special treatment and I have no respect for that.

Archived