Brandstone meteorite

Just waited next to the volatile magic NPC for over half an hour for one of these stupid things, and when it finally appeared, it went off the map.

This has to be the top of the list of the most poorly implemented collections in the game. The landing sites should be marked for the duration of their existence at the very least, and the frequency needs to be a lot more.

Meteorites spawn every 15 minutes and last 5 minutes, whether you mine them or not. What you probably dont know is that you can use the brandstone multitool while mounted to see which direction the meteorite fell to. (that costs 3 volatile magic). So, you dont really need the volatile Magic npc to call the meteor, you can find it and mine it on your own.

@"Voltekka.2375" said:Meteorites spawn every 15 minutes and last 5 minutes, whether you mine them or not. What you probably dont know is that you can use the brandstone multitool while mounted to see which direction the meteorite fell to. (that costs 3 volatile magic). So, you dont really need the volatile Magic npc to call the meteor, you can find it and mine it on your own.

I understand the timing on them, but it did not work that way last night. I'm going to guess that something broke. Another meteor did show up after that, at what appeared to be the appropriate time.

I sat on top of the telescope, with sound on (no other music or such playing) to ensure I could hear the meteor and the announcement by Scholar Fatima. I have done this before, and it happened to work within 10minutes. Last night I was up there for at least half an hour, and when the meteor showed up, it went horizontally across the screen and did not curve downward like they do to indicate a landing point.

The map below is a simple visual to what took place, including the area I searched during the time it should have appeared, which does not include my final trek of just following the wall southward as far as I could go. By the time I got to that point it was past 5 minutes.

n7F5ppO.png

I'm not as frustrated now as I was last night, because I finally got to one and got the items I needed for the collection, but all that kept running through my mind at the time was how much gold I could have been pulling in somewhere else instead of sitting on that telescope.

Also: Directed at the Anet Devs: Setting aside the crater an object that size would leave, a meteor that size would be bright enough to see from Lions Arch (it would also take out most of Istan, but ...yeah). This is a possible way to modify the things so you don't need a zone wide notification. Just plant a big fat light source on them.

Just use the brandtool while mounted. I am pretty sure it is the best way to see which direction the meteor went towards. I had thought that the whole meteor thing was bugged, until i accidentally clicked on the brandtool icon while mounted out of frustration (wiki has instructions btw, dumb me). According to your map, 10 is the most likely location, also 5 could very well be one. The meteors strike in a limited number of places, anyway.

I have three frustrations with this ‘event’.

1. Timing. Its rare that you get the full 5 minutes of time to do this. Plus when you get on the map there’s no indication of where in the schedule you are. And standing there 15 minutes scanning every 30 seconds is the exact polar opposite of fun
  2. Locating. Often takes too much time as well.
  3. Non-soloable. The sites are guarded by branded elementals. Ignore them, and you die quickly, but kill them, and the rock disapears before you can mine them.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:I have three frustrations with this ‘event’.

1. Timing. Its rare that you get the full 5 minutes of time to do this. Plus when you get on the map there’s no indication of where in the schedule you are. And standing there 15 minutes scanning every 30 seconds is the exact polar opposite of fun
  3. Non-soloable. The sites are guarded by branded elementals. Ignore them, and you die quickly, but kill them, and the rock disapears before you can mine them.

I disagree. The mobs are soloable, locating takes a few secs. The only bad thing is the crap mining rewards if youre alone on the site. Rarely you get quartz, most times you get dragonite.

For a good average time to mine the meteors, I found it best to wait atop the high cliffs to the south-west of the great hall. You have quick access to all possible locations starting from there on a griffon (or even gliding if you don't have a griffon) because you can soar in a straight line.

@Voltekka.2375 said:I disagree. The mobs are soloable, locating takes a few secs.

Oh, they are soloable.But add together the tinge of locating and killing them you'll easily hit 4 minutes.

And its hard to tell which side of the island the impact side is. Even if you mount up, walk all the way from one side to the other is more than 4 minutes

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:The meteors still desynch (server or client) somehow making them phantom locations where you can interact, or you can't interact but see them there indefinitely. Its not as often as it was at launch, but its still very annoying.

That might explain what I ran across. Perhaps the meteor that I saw on my screen was not actually the same trajectory as the server?

In terms of getting to stuff Istan feels like it was designed by someone who assumed everyone has a griffon. It feels very slow when not using it. I've not encountered that issue on any other map.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

I disagree. The mobs are soloable, locating takes a few secs. The only bad thing is the crap mining rewards if youre alone on the site. Rarely you get quartz, most times you get dragonite.

Not sure why that matters. You only need 16 to make the full set. At worst it is 1.6g to get all the Rose Quartz you need.

@Neural.1824 said:

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:The meteors still desynch (server or client) somehow making them phantom locations where you can interact, or you can't interact but see them there indefinitely. Its not as often as it was at launch, but its still very annoying.

That might explain what I ran across. Perhaps the meteor that I saw on my screen was not actually the same trajectory as the server?

The mount skill will still point to the correct location when that happens or tell you that there is no meteor on the island.

@Khisanth.2948 said:In terms of getting to stuff Istan feels like it was designed by someone who assumed everyone has a griffon. It feels very slow when not using it. I've not encountered that issue on any other map.

Not sure why that matters. You only need 16 to make the full set. At worst it is 1.6g to get all the Rose Quartz you need.

The mount skill will still point to the correct location when that happens or tell you that there is no meteor on the island.

You need 16 quartz to make a full set of what?

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:In terms of getting to stuff Istan feels like it was designed by someone who assumed everyone has a griffon. It feels very slow when not using it. I've not encountered that issue on any other map.

you need 250 Kralkatite ore per weapon, in the first set, and two times 250 ore per weapon in the second set. Quartz is easier than ore since its tradeable. But thats still 10 per ingot, times 50 ingots for the first set, or twice again for the second set. And pure quartz once for every second set. Since there’s 16 of those, yea, you need only 16 intact rose quarzes

@Voltekka.2375 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:The meteors still desynch (server or client) somehow making them phantom locations where you can interact, or you can't interact but see them there indefinitely. Its not as often as it was at launch, but its still very annoying.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Astral_weapons

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Stellar_weapons

these weapons sets I think.

@Trinnitty.8256 said:

@"Eloc Freidon.5692" said:The meteors still desynch (server or client) somehow making them phantom locations where you can interact, or you can't interact but see them there indefinitely. Its not as often as it was at launch, but its still very annoying.

Gotta make sure you also have the 500 powdered quartz for each weapon. Powdered quartz is either obtainable through meteor mining, or by salvaging quartz.

@Voltekka.2375 said:

Gotta make sure you also have the 500 powdered quartz for each weapon. Powdered quartz is either obtainable through meteor mining, or by salvaging quartz.

Its also the only known LS crafting material thats tradable, albeit not cheap in large quantities

Archived