Quit before PoF, what have I missed?

Hey there,

Althought GW2 is probably still my most played game of all time overall, I left right before Path of Fire as I didn't have enough time in my personal life for it.

So I'm wondering... What have I missed in the last year? Is there a compilation of some sort that I could go through in order to catch up?I really have the urge to come back to the game but I don't want to feel like I'm totally behind the curve.

Thanks <3

You've missed a ton of stuff. PoF introduced mounts and new story, five new zones, and Living Story Season 4 has come out, the first two episodes of which are already available. If you log in now you'll unlock the second episode free.

I help a lot of players get back into the game. If you're on a US server, hit me up in game. I can catch you up pretty fast.

You saved 30 eurs, 250+g for a Griffon that does'nt make anything better than other mounts. 5 Empty maps (loot is awful, and ppl plays them only to acquire mounts, and as you can read around some already has problem to achieve the griffon collection due to lack of ppl) and a living story that destroyed economy (good moment to craft legendaries tho...but i wanna se how low t6 can go wit next episodes of ls4. Aka more volatile magic). The PoF story is worth it tho, bit short but Worth it

@Savez.4657 said:You saved 30 eurs, 250+g for a Griffon that does'nt make anything better than other mounts. 5 Empty maps (loot is awful, and ppl plays them only to acquire mounts, and as you can read around some already has problem to achieve the griffon collection due to lack of ppl) and a living story that destroyed economy (good moment to craft legendaries tho...but i wanna se how low t6 can go wit next episodes of ls4. Aka more volatile magic). The PoF story is worth it tho, bit short but Worth it

You imply the money is wasted, at the same time you later say it was worth it. Good job. The Griffon doesn't have as much height as the Springer, but GLIDING/flying at the same speed that other mounts can move at while not having to give a single damn about terrain or having to switch away from it at the cost of being slightly slower without flying.. yeah, you can't say it doesn't do anything better. It's a mix of the best parts and adds flying on top of that.

I agree on the maps being somewhat empty, but they are not completely void of players. If you would have read the thread you are referring to you'd know that you're wrong on that as well. Economy is still mostly the same, so that's whatever. The assumption that the following episodes would make volatile magic even worse of a currency is not based on anything either lol the second map was far worse in terms of farming, it's much more logical to assume they want the first map to stay the meta map since PoF lacked that, while the other maps will be mostly achievement/collection stuff with smaller map events.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Savez.4657 said:You saved 30 eurs, 250+g for a Griffon that does'nt make anything better than other mounts. 5 Empty maps (loot is awful, and ppl plays them only to acquire mounts, and as you can read around some already has problem to achieve the griffon collection due to lack of ppl) and a living story that destroyed economy (good moment to craft legendaries tho...but i wanna se how low t6 can go wit next episodes of ls4. Aka more volatile magic). The PoF story is worth it tho, bit short but Worth it

You imply the money is wasted, at the same time you later say it was worth it. Good job. The Griffon doesn't have as much height as the Springer, but GLIDING/flying at the same speed that other mounts can move at while not having to give a single kitten about terrain or having to switch away from it at the cost of being slightly slower without flying.. yeah, you can't say it doesn't do anything better. It's a mix of the best parts and adds flying on top of that.

I agree on the maps being somewhat empty, but they are not completely void of players. If you would have read the thread you are referring to you'd know that you're wrong on that as well. Economy is still mostly the same, so that's whatever. The assumption that the following episodes would make volatile magic even worse of a currency is not based on anything either lol the second map was far worse in terms of farming, it's much more logical to assume they want the first map to stay the meta map since PoF lacked that, while the other maps will be mostly achievement/collection stuff with smaller map events.

Economy is the same? Then i imagined ectos at 14s and t6 Worth nothing. I imply that the money is wasted, yet CAN be Worth if he's interested in the story. Learn to read!Pof = the excuse to introduce more loot boxes IMO (you know what In My Opinion means?)

The maps aren't empty. They're not even close to empty. Anyone who says they're empty probably doesn't spend a lot of time on them, because there are often people around and many of the group events end up getting done. They're not zerg maps and they don't try to put everyone in the same place at the same time. Plus they're big maps. So people end up exploring and playing there without hitting a timer for meta, until someone calls something out in map chat.

It's true you don't see huge zergs there most of the time. Because the maps aren't designed to be zerged. But that also doesn't make them empty.

There is a state between empty and zerg. Plenty of people on the map, usually solo, small groups. Yet, a good percentage of the time, when I start a hero point, someone else randomly shows up, no matter where or when I'm doing it.

@Vayne.8563 said:

The maps aren't empty. They're not even close to empty. Anyone who says they're empty probably doesn't spend a lot of time on them, because there are often people around and many of the group events end up getting done. They're not zerg maps and they don't try to put everyone in the same place at the same time. Plus they're big maps. So people end up exploring and playing there without hitting a timer for meta, until someone calls something out in map chat.

It's true you don't see huge zergs there most of the time. Because the maps aren't designed to be zerged. But that also doesn't make them empty.

There is a state between empty and zerg. Plenty of people on the map, usually solo, small groups. Yet, a good percentage of the time, when I start a hero point, someone else randomly shows up, no matter where or when I'm doing it.

They (i) don't spend much time on them because it's not worth it. True that when it comes to hero points, someone always pop up. Apart of that as you said there are small groups (looking for bounties for achievs or such) playing them. But nothing comparable to other maps. I often try to play them, but i finish joining some group going for bounties or some collection event. Istan and Sandswept are probably what should be included in PoF main maps. Multiple mini-metas, rewards and so on.

@"Evermore.5649" said:Hey there,

Althought GW2 is probably still my most played game of all time overall, I left right before Path of Fire as I didn't have enough time in my personal life for it.

So I'm wondering... What have I missed in the last year? Is there a compilation of some sort that I could go through in order to catch up?I really have the urge to come back to the game but I don't want to feel like I'm totally behind the curve.

Thanks <3

It's GW2. There is no "behind the curve". Come back any time and just start playing!

Highlights of PoF: New elite specs of course, but the new mastery system are the mounts and they are just fantastic! We're nearly to the third episode of Living World season 4, so there are a couple of new maps in addition to the original PoF storyline and subsequent episodes of LS4. You have plenty of new skins and achievements to acquire as well.

Whatever you're into, there has to be something there if you enjoyed GW2 in the past!

@Evermore.5649 said:So I'm wondering... What have I missed in the last year? <3

I wonder if you would like the new PoF (and Living World S4) game style mechanics?There are a lot more boons and break bars on enemies and raid mechanics on boss fights and big bosses. Imagine Tangled Depth Chak everywhere slowing you down, and keeping you in combat (that's why we have mounts to be able to have a chance running by them).Instances are very long to play through, which I personally hate and quite a lot of the events and all bounties are created to be done by larger group events (so group events are really 5+ people and in many cases not solo-able by good gamers who know their class).The game dumps a lot of collection items on you (therefore we have increased bag sizes to craft for overpriced material costs).

The new professions, especially Scourge, Mirage and Firebrand have speed up the power creep in the competitive game modes. Mounts have increased visual clutter a lot and greatly favour having the Griffon for races, ragging events etc.

I am not really a fan of the expansion, but you can make up your own mind.

PoF is a good expansion, though it can't compare with the revolutionary changes and amazing art from HoT.MountsMummiesMassive Maps (with the same or less to do in them as HoT, however)Misguided PvP (which they are correcting step by step, faster than before but still really slow)Monothematic human-centrism (Like with the Silvary in HoT, but worse)Much fun anyway.Many marketing centered stuff.More mounts.

@Savez.4657 said:

They (i) don't spend much time on them because it's not worth it. True that when it comes to hero points, someone always pop up. Apart of that as you said there are small groups (looking for bounties for achievs or such) playing them. But nothing comparable to other maps. I often try to play them, but i finish joining some group going for bounties or some collection event. Istan and Sandswept are probably what should be included in PoF main maps. Multiple mini-metas, rewards and so on.

Take about I, not they. I personally spend a fair amount of times on those maps, as I enjoy them. Many of my more casual guildies prefer those maps to HoT. Not everyone is a farmer, or plays be gold per hour formula. Not everyone is centered on rewards. Some people play for fun....I'm guessing more than you think.

Archived