HDD vs. SSD load times. I'm leaning toward HDD as SSD is 70gb free without the game

I am considering downloading this onto an HDD as opposed to my SSD (because there's only 70gb remaining as is). Does anyone else here have the game installed on their HDD currently? And if so, are the load times that long? I've had it installed on my HDD on my laptop when I first got the game back in 2011, and then again on my SSD inside my new computer. If I have a pretty fast PC overall, are the load times THAT much better on the SSD?

The biggest difference in load time change for me was adding an ssd to run the game back when the 32 bit client was standard. The differences then were iirc 50-75 seconds to load from a 7200 rpm seagate barracuda w/ 32m cache vs 15-25 seconds on a Samsung 840 ssd for initial load in to the bank in LA. The 64 bit client cut down the difference to less than 10 seconds and sometimes only a second or so for me with the ssd still notably faster but not by as much as it was before.

It is simple enough to try it both ways, just copy the .dat and .exe into the same folder on your other drive and create a new shortcut labelled appropriately. You can add -maploadinfo to the shortcut to show loading information, including time on loading screens to have an objective comparison point.

@No One.3716 said:The biggest difference in load time change for me was adding an ssd to run the game back when the 32 bit client was standard. The differences then were iirc 50-75 seconds to load from a 7200 rpm seagate barracuda w/ 32m cache vs 15-25 seconds on a Samsung 840 ssd for initial load in to the bank in LA. The 64 bit client cut down the difference to less than 10 seconds and sometimes only a second or so for me with the ssd still notably faster but not by as much as it was before.

It is simple enough to try it both ways, just copy the .dat and .exe into the same folder on your other drive and create a new shortcut labelled appropriately. You can add -maploadinfo to the shortcut to show loading information, including time on loading screens to have an objective comparison point.

If I get the game again, I will check your advice out. Thank you.

SSD cuts the map loading time by bout 50-65% (vs 7200rpm) into LA, but PoF maps are longer on average because the map files are bigger.

manufacturers massively scaled down production of 2.5" 7200rpm HDD couple of years ago, pretty much all laptops that have HDD are 5400rpm

slow load time can be pretty annoying if you are on a timer trying to get into good map for map meta or going for a boss killi.e. dredge commissar, literally 99% of the time it's dead when it spawns to loading in my camper toon on a SSD.This is especially annoying with VB's bosses, they actually spawn before the timer reaches 20min mark, I've had cases where by the time I took the chopper up there (loading screen), Matri is already dead@anet Devs, if you are reading this post, please fix VB's boss spawn timer

@Ameepa.6793 said:After using SSD I would never return to use normal HDD for any MMO.

You can easily test this yourself because you can simply copy-paste the whole game between drives so it's not a big deal to which drive you download it first to.

Oh wow, I literally don't have to do anything other than that?

@solfizz.5730 said:

@Ameepa.6793 said:After using SSD I would never return to use normal HDD for any MMO.

You can easily test this yourself because you can simply copy-paste the whole game between drives so it's not a big deal to which drive you download it first to.

Oh wow, I literally don't have to do
anything
other than that?

GW2 (and original GW) are very self-contained that way, they function fine even if moved/copied etc.

@solfizz.5730 said:

Oh wow, I literally don't have to do
anything
other than that?

No, except update the shortcut on your desktop of course :)

I guess another question, since I'm more leaning toward installing it on my HDD as I really wouldn't have that much space on my SSD if I were to install it there (<20gb): for those who do have it on their HDD (or have experience in the past), would you say that it feels like a drag every single time you load into a new zone? Does it adversely affect other aspects of the game too? One person posted saying that it creates jitters even when you're not loading into a zone. Can anyone else confirm this for me?

@"solfizz.5730" said:I guess another question, since I'm more leaning toward installing it on my HDD as I really wouldn't have that much space on my SSD if I were to install it there (<20gb): for those who do have it on their HDD (or have experience in the past), would you say that it feels like a drag every single time you load into a new zone? Does it adversely affect other aspects of the game too? One person posted saying that it creates jitters even when you're not loading into a zone. Can anyone else confirm this for me?

So, some graphics are loaded lazily after zoning in: you will get the longer delay on the loading screen as you get all the static stuff, but some skill effects, finishers, character effects, etc, will be loaded dynamically, and that necessarily slows down their display in the game.

I can't say I personally noticed it causing "stuttering", but rather things drawn with default textures and/or models, or invisible, but I can't say that it wouldn't ever cause that. So: yes, it will cause at least some noticeable effects in the map as well as at the start.

However ... remember that this whole SSD everywhere thing is really quite new, and so the vast majority of players used to be loading off a hard disk perfectly happily, for years. GW2 definitely predates that, so doesn't assume an SSD. It just works a bit nicer with one, the same way most anything will when reading from disk.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"solfizz.5730" said:I guess another question, since I'm more leaning toward installing it on my HDD as I really wouldn't have that much space on my SSD if I were to install it there (<20gb): for those who
do
have it on their HDD (or have experience in the past), would you say that it feels like a drag every single time you load into a new zone? Does it adversely affect other aspects of the game too? One person posted saying that it creates jitters even when you're not loading into a zone. Can anyone else confirm this for me?

So, some graphics are loaded lazily after zoning in: you will get the longer delay on the loading screen as you get all the static stuff, but some skill effects, finishers, character effects, etc, will be loaded dynamically, and that necessarily slows down their display in the game.

I can't say I personally noticed it causing "stuttering", but rather things drawn with default textures and/or models, or invisible, but I can't say that it wouldn't ever cause that. So: yes, it will cause at least some noticeable effects in the map as well as at the start.

However ... remember that this whole SSD everywhere thing is really quite new, and so the vast majority of players used to be loading off a hard disk perfectly happily, for years. GW2 definitely predates that, so doesn't
assume
an SSD. It just works a bit nicer with one, the same way most anything will when reading from disk.

Thanks for the detailed response. That makes me hesitant to want to install it to be perfectly honest. Sorry to all you guys who are rooting me on to give GW2 a try again and I'm sitting on the fence. It's just that these days my gaming has to be a bit more limited, and if I find myself frustrated at load times and the scenario this poster painted above, I may quickly regret the fact that I got back into it at all, not to mention the time I feel I would have wasted redownloading the client and playing long enough to run into these annoyances. Is that being too dramatic?

Is there anything on your SSD that can move to your HDD? For example, MP3 files do not usually need to be read quicker than you can listen to them. You should leave as much free space on the SSD as you can.

HDDs are best for backups and data that does not need fast storage.

@Menadena.7482 said:Is there anything on your SSD that can move to your HDD? For example, MP3 files do not usually need to be read quicker than you can listen to them. You should leave as much free space on the SSD as you can.

HDDs are best for backups and data that does not need fast storage.

Not really man, I have pretty much Windows 7 Professional, Adobe CC which I need for work, Overwatch, Civ 5, Dragon Ball Fighterz, and Cities Skylines as the biggest programs. I looked through each folder in the C:\ yesterday and those were it. I am considering uninstalling Civ 5 and possibly DBFZ if the next batch of DLC tomorrow proves to not be able to pique my interest, but that would free up roughly 12gb, whereas Guild Wars 2 requires 50gb.

@solfizz.5730 said:

@solfizz.5730 said:I guess another question, since I'm more leaning toward installing it on my HDD as I really wouldn't have that much space on my SSD if I were to install it there (<20gb): for those who
do
have it on their HDD (or have experience in the past), would you say that it feels like a drag every single time you load into a new zone? Does it adversely affect other aspects of the game too? One person posted saying that it creates jitters even when you're not loading into a zone. Can anyone else confirm this for me?

However ... remember that this whole SSD everywhere thing is really quite new, and so the vast majority of players used to be loading off a hard disk perfectly happily, for years. GW2 definitely predates that, so doesn't
assume
an SSD. It just works a bit nicer with one, the same way most anything will when reading from disk.

Thanks for the detailed response. That makes me hesitant to want to install it to be perfectly honest. Sorry to all you guys who are rooting me on to give GW2 a try again and I'm sitting on the fence. It's just that these days my gaming has to be a bit more limited, and if I find myself frustrated at load times and the scenario this poster painted above, I may quickly regret the fact that I got back into it at all, not to mention the time I feel I would have wasted redownloading the client and playing long enough to run into these annoyances. Is that being too dramatic?

IDK. I mean, personally, I'd just give it a shot and see if I found it annoying. I'm not gonna tell you to do that, though. (I also have fast, unlimited Internet, so the download time isn't a big deal for me.)

I'd also say that you are wise to look at this, think "this thing would annoy me too much", and decide not to subject yourself to it. Like, it's totally sensible not to do something that'll annoy you.

I don't think it will be a problem, but I'm not you, and I can't tell you what you find "too slow" vs reasonable.

Archived