When is Ellen Kiel up for re-election?

How cool would it be if had another in-game election. That was one of the most unique living story updates we've had. It would be nice to see the players have a lasting impact on the direction of the story again. We need more events like the election, even if its not an election specifically.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:I'd like to see another election or event like it. Unfortunately, there won't be a need for another Captain's Council election until one of them dies . . .

Even then there won't necessarily be an election, especially not one involving people from all over Tyria. Lion's Arch is not a democracy and their leaders are not normally elected. As I understand it in most cases when a seat opens up on the Captain's Council there's an obvious successor - someone all the other captains know and support as the 'next in line'. And if not it's generally whoever can bribe, threaten or otherwise persuade the council to let them in.

The election was actually the Zephyrite Master of Peace's idea. The Council said the seat would go to whoever could get a trade deal with the Zephyrites, and the Master of Peace said he'd only accept the candidate who could prove they had the support of their people - not just in LA but in all the cities they traded with.

All of which was of course basically a way to enable players to vote and pick the winner. (Which is why the candidates promised things like discounted waypoints or black lion keys alongside stuff people in LA would care about like defeating the Aetherblades.) But even so it's highly unlikely we'll get to do that again, at least not for the Captains Council. If they ever did an election story again it'd be for a different group.

If I remember correctly Anet said it's not something they'd do often, because it was a lot of work to do. I'm guessing they had to do some of the ground work for both winners pledges (particularly the new Fractals) before the result was known and then all the work on the losers side went to waste. But maybe they could find a way around that so they can offer us a choice like that again. It was definitely interesting waiting to see who won.

We could have an Amazing Fractal about the fallen god Abbadon, but NO! You just had to choose Ellen! :angry:I am still sour about this… Evon would have been a better captain and I even dislikes Charrs since Ascalon is forever in my heart :heart:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:I'd like to see another election or event like it. Unfortunately, there won't be a need for another Captain's Council election until one of them dies . . .

There are other councils besides the one that runs Lion's Arch.

The closest we've seen is helping the Amnoon council decide who to go to for help, but it didn't impact anything else in the world except which back item we got and some per-character ambient dialogue/decorations. Before that, they gave us a choice of names for the post-Destiny's Edge guild (although, like many others, I didn't like any of the options).

They could do it during LS1 because they were making it up as they went, so changing the direction of LA down the road of stories based on our input wasn't difficult. Now, it would be a lot more involved: what we decide during LS e.g. 5.1 would affect the teams working on 5.2 & 5.3, not just the team working on 5.1 & 5.4. (I can imagine lots of ways to manage that — the point is that it would take additional coordination above what they already need to do.)

Archived