Halloween 2018

@Peanut The Man.4120 said:Do you guys think they will do anything new for the festivals this year for Halloween?

I miss the days when the mad king would come and give us masks or hats.

I would love the Bloody Prince Thorn events to be brought back. They were like mini dungeons that were very fun to play. I don't know why they removed them long ago and haven't brought them back ever since.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@Peanut The Man.4120 said:Do you guys think they will do anything new for the festivals this year for Halloween?

I miss the days when the mad king would come and give us masks or hats.

I would love the Bloody Prince Thorn events to be brought back. They were like mini dungeons that were very fun to play. I don't know why they removed them long ago and haven't brought them back ever since.

They never do anything new for halloween anymore :/, its always the same thing.

I would love to see Mad King take Lion's Arch either partly or entirely back to the old Lion's Arch because I feel Halloween looked so much creepier in the old Lion's Arch and it would be a cool way for new players to explore it (outside of the story instance) and for veteran's to be nostalgic (would love to hang at the bank again). I just feel the new city is much too open and happy to fit the Halloween theme.

@Fay.2735 said:I would love to see Mad King take Lion's Arch either partly or entirely back to the old Lion's Arch because I feel Halloween looked so much creepier in the old Lion's Arch and it would be a cool way for new players to explore it (outside of the story instance) and for veteran's to be nostalgic (would love to hang at the bank again). I just feel the new city is much too open and happy to fit the Halloween theme.

I agree with you 100%.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope they'll introduce an easy mode for the tower jp. They did it for the wintersday festival, I'm confident they'll do it also for the next Halloween.They will also likely introduce the race on foot (last year it was only for the ppl who bought PoF, no chances to rent a mount).

It'd be nice to see a new mount race that's more suited to the new Roller Beetle mount; the Labyrinth, with all its uneven terrain and sharp bends, doesn't lend itself well. Even if it was an extra mount race JUST for the beetles, that would be nice – they have such a steep learning curve that it would be a much more enjoyable experience, I'll bet.

In a way I'd be surprised if things WEREN'T different this year, given the centuries-old rivalry between Palawa Joko and Mad King Thorn and the recent storyline developments... Halloween may just be a fun festival, but technically it's also all part of the lore. Joko's actions in Elona were a direct retaliation in response to a quest chain from Halloween in GW1, so it follows that Thorn would be aware of and reference recent events with his old arch-enemy.

A nice change would be for them to put it into another city this time. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Halloween Black Citadel? For once, a reason to go there.And yeah, old LA was PERFECT for Halloween, but we're never getting that back. Never.silently cries in a corner

@Manpag.6421 said:In a way I'd be surprised if things WEREN'T different this year, given the centuries-old rivalry between Palawa Joko and Mad King Thorn and the recent storyline developments...

The recent storyline development is only for those that already played the last living season 4 episode 3. Anyone that did not do this story development part, does not own it (think of new players, f2p that will get PoF later on, ppl that did not log and have to purchase this chapter with gems etc) it makes no sense that storywise the halloween event is changed to an after lws4e3. It goes both ways ^^.

@Aaralyna.3104 said:

@Manpag.6421 said:In a way I'd be surprised if things WEREN'T different this year, given the centuries-old rivalry between Palawa Joko and Mad King Thorn and the recent storyline developments...

The recent storyline development is only for those that already played the last living season 4 episode 3. Anyone that did not do this story development part, does not own it (think of new players, f2p that will get PoF later on, ppl that did not log and have to purchase this chapter with gems etc) it makes no sense that storywise the halloween event is changed to an after lws4e3. It goes both ways ^^.

People not being able to access LW4e3 is surely irrelevant to whether or not it impacts on events. The Living World story impacts everything; the Ley events, bandit champs, Bloodstone creatures and portal incursions happen on core maps and don't make sense to people who can't play the story – it doesn't stop them enjoying them and partaking. The portal incursions were particularly in-your-face as they took place in the starter maps which arguably have the highest number of F2P characters on them. I'm not saying you're wrong, it may well be the case, I just think core/f2p characters being unable to follow the Living World story hasn't stopped it impacting on their gameplay in any number of ways in the past.

I'm not saying I'm either wrong or right but something to consider. I don't know how they did things in past as I don't play even a year yet. Altho something could be said about the current event with the awakened invasions in core tyria as well as if you look at story progression.

• 2 weeks later...

@Ruadan.9301 said:A nice change would be for them to put it into another city this time. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Halloween Black Citadel? For once, a reason to go there.And yeah, old LA was PERFECT for Halloween, but we're never getting that back. Never.silently cries in a corner

Why would this make sense? It's a human holiday. Mad King Thorn means nothing to the Charr.

@Vayne.8563 said:

@Ruadan.9301 said:A nice change would be for them to put it into another city this time. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Halloween Black Citadel? For once, a reason to go there.And yeah, old LA was PERFECT for Halloween, but we're never getting that back. Never.
silently cries in a corner

Why would this make sense? It's a human holiday. Mad King Thorn means nothing to the Charr.

Huh?Lore-wise, it is not an actual holiday, but more like an annual invasion from another realm, which is taken in a somewhat relaxed way and with good humor. That is because Thorn's intent is to sow some chaos while it is possible, little else. Thorns Lunatic Court is sporting members from all five races, and Thorn never expresses a particular interest in humans in his actions, so the Citadel is viable, too.Besides: Geographically, Lion's Arch may be part of Krytan lands, but as a city, it is a melting pot of /all the races/. It has been thus since Cobiah Marriner re-founded it.

Wintersday is more of a human holiday.Halloween is pretty race-neutral in GW2.

@Ruadan.9301 said:

@Ruadan.9301 said:A nice change would be for them to put it into another city this time. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Halloween Black Citadel? For once, a reason to go there.And yeah, old LA was PERFECT for Halloween, but we're never getting that back. Never.

Huh?Lore-wise, it is not an actual holiday, but more like an annual invasion from another realm, which is taken in a somewhat relaxed way and with good humor. That is because Thorn's intent is to sow some chaos while it is possible, little else. Thorns Lunatic Court is sporting members from all five races, and Thorn never expresses a particular interest in humans in his actions, so the Citadel is viable, too.Besides: Geographically, Lion's Arch may be part of Krytan lands, but as a city, it is a melting pot of /all the races/. It has been thus since Cobiah Marriner re-founded it.

Lore wise Mad King Thorn was a human king, and he invades human realms though. His battle is with Palawa Joko more than anything that has to do with Charr. The Black Citadel would still make no sense.

@Vayne.8563 said:

Lore wise Mad King Thorn was a human king, and he invades human realms though. His battle is with Palawa Joko more than anything that has to do with Charr. The Black Citadel would still make no sense.

I am /not/ saying Thorn should be particularly interested in the Charr. I am saying I get the impression that Thorn (current Thorn, /not/ lifetimes Thorn) treats all races the same, haunts all races' areas the same, and thus /theoretically/ could also invade all cities the same, with the Citadel simply being a preferred choice of mine because of the /more gritty aesthetics/.

It's fine you don't agree with me, but don't make Thorn intrinsically focused on humans; he is, at least as of GW2, not explicitly human-focused. What he was and did during his life is something that is not particularly relevant for this discussion, because what he is now is a chaotic entity that rules over a realm in the mists, and haunts and recrutes all sentient races alike.

@Ruadan.9301 said:

I am /not/ saying Thorn should be particularly interested in the Charr. I am saying I get the impression that Thorn (current Thorn, /not/ lifetimes Thorn) treats all races the same, haunts all races' areas the same, and thus /theoretically/ could also invade all cities the same, with the Citadel simply being a preferred choice of mine because of the /more gritty aesthetics/.

It's fine you don't agree with me, but don't make Thorn intrinsically focused on humans; he is, at least as of GW2, not explicitly human-focused. What he was and did during his life is something that is not particularly relevant for this discussion, because what he is now is a chaotic entity that rules over a realm in the mists, and haunts and recrutes all sentient races alike.

You know what? You're right. You make a valid point.

• 4 weeks later...

Last years Halloween is when I joined the game and I loved the Mad King and his lore, it was my first festive event. Really sad I didn't get a chance to play the Bloody Prince events.I hope they do end up doing something new this year instead of a repeating it.I'd love to see more about Thorn and Joko's rivalry. Also have a mighty mighty need for Mad Kings outfit. I hope it comes back in the gem store!!

• 2 weeks later...

@Ruadan.9301 said:A nice change would be for them to put it into another city this time. Wouldn't it be nice to have a Halloween Black Citadel? For once, a reason to go there.And yeah, old LA was PERFECT for Halloween, but we're never getting that back. Never.silently cries in a corner

The Black Citadel looks so fallish anyway- with all of the orange leaves.... I agree!! (and I also think the Wintersday festival should be in hoelbrak!)

Halloween is such a missed opportunity every year.

Some facts about the real world for Anet.

1. people spend money on holidays
  2. 2017 in the US alone, halloween generated over 9 billion in revenue
  3. if you put on a good original festival that changes every year and do some very fair and appeasing monetization schemes, you will make money, guranteed.
  4. I plan on spending around 1200 this halloween more than ten times the national average, if you want some of that to go to gems you know what to do

both Halloween and Christmas are amazing money makers in hospitality, events, and manufacturing of toys and merchandise, its time for Anet to really get on this, you won't regret it.

1. Introduce some fresh new halloween themeparks,
  2. Make sure everything is fun and everyone is happy
  3. Put stuff on the gem store
  4. Win

The lab isn't enough anymore, we need a new environment as beautiful as the PoF expansion areas.

• 2 weeks later...

I still yearn to upgrade my king-sized candy corn. I got the original node in the first year, and worked hard to collect enough candy corn to buy the upgrade the following year. If only it could be upgraded to a mega-sized candy corn node! Heck, it wouldn't even have to give more candy corn. It could just look bigger, or have some extra flair or something.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived