Collections are the worst thing in this game

@WhatLiesBeneath.9018 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

Lol get over yourself, most stuff doesnt have a collection.

You're right, the other 30% is behind the Gem Store.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

@"Dante.1763" said:I dunno i enjoy the collections, figuring out the "riddle" is kinda fun, but then again i did most of the JPs myself and enjoyed that too.

That's perfectly fine. Im sure there's a lot of people that enjoy them as well, but im also certain that there is a ton of people who despises them, just like i. For those who like em, there's a lot of things for you to strive for. For those who don't, what do we have? Nothing else but new gem store items. You don't offer goals for people to strive for, and that is where they leave an mmo and don't look back.

Only backpacks have been behind recent collections. I suggest you count every new skin that has been released and then count how many have been from collections. Grossly exaggerating this does not help you.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

Only backpacks have been behind recent collections. I suggest you count every new skin that has been released and then count how many have been from collections. Grossly exaggerating this does not help you.

I don't know about that. Hover your cursor over the Wardrobe items and see for yourself. Most new'ish items are under "collectible".

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

I don't know about that. Hover your cursor over the Wardrobe items and see for yourself. Most new'ish items are under "collectible".

Yes, that means they exist within a collection, but you dont need to do a collection to get them.

So obviously you are talking about things you have no idea about.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

I suggest you back up your statement and look. Should be fairly easy as there’s a limited number of collections that award equipment.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

There's also collections for the raids... In fact collections and lack of challenging group content have very little relation to eachother.

While I do understand that youd like more challenge, the collections have nothing to do with it.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:They're chores, chores worse than killing 10 rats for 5xp. You made em so people solve riddles and such, but who's really doing that? One out of thousand of players? Most will be alt tabbed searching the wiki. How is this fun? How is this content? Everything new is behind collections aka chores. These same skins could've been implemented in challenging content made for team play (because its an mmo, and that's what you do in mmo's), but instead, they're made for you to be alt tabbed doing chores while watching youtube videos. This is why your expansions run out of content in under a week, while GW1 expansions kept you busy until the next exp comes out, literally. People want to play content, and that content is not being wikipedia.

Wrong. You want to play content which is team based becasue you have the opportunity at the moment. Other people want content which can be achieved solo. That is the only distinction. Soloable content is not equal to not challenging. People like you are the reason why we have raids in this game which 80% of the palyerbase didnt even touch. Becasue finding friendly, not toxic people is harder than soloing a challenging boss.

The question I have is, If raids and CM fractals aren't good enough, what would appropriately challenging content look like? If you've got a meta build, all-asceneded gear with stat infusions, know your class and your rotation inside and out, there's nowhere else to go with your character. Content is natually going to be easier for you than other players. If you're fully geared, what could be added that would make it challenging in a way that couldn't be invalidated by watching a youtube video or reading a guide by someone who cleared it already? More complicated mechanics? More intricate boss attack patterns? More randomness in enemy attacks? Tighten up the time limits until you can't afford any mistakes?

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

the issue is, this game is literally marketed towards casuals, not needing groups, and being able to obtain anything through time. you can change that without driving away the playerbase this game already has.

Challenging group content that forces groups and organization isnt fun for most people who play this game. Theres a minority sure, but thats exactly what it is. I love raids, but i dont want them to become the norm, or anything that comes close to being anywhere near as challenging to become the norm either.

@Revilrad.1962 said:

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:They're chores, chores worse than killing 10 rats for 5xp. You made em so people solve riddles and such, but who's really doing that? One out of thousand of players? Most will be alt tabbed searching the wiki. How is this fun? How is this content? Everything new is behind collections aka chores. These same skins could've been implemented in challenging content made for team play (because its an mmo, and that's what you do in mmo's), but instead, they're made for you to be alt tabbed doing chores while watching youtube videos. This is why your expansions run out of content in under a week, while GW1 expansions kept you busy until the next exp comes out, literally. People want to play content, and that content is not being wikipedia.

Wrong. You want to play content which is team based becasue you have the opportunity at the moment. Other people want content which can be achieved solo. That is the only distinction. Soloable content is not equal to not challenging. People like you are the reason why we have raids in this game which 80% of the palyerbase didnt even touch. Becasue finding friendly, not toxic people is harder than soloing a challenging boss.

I also agree fully with this person.

Liadra was the one of the funnest experiences ive had in this game. She was challenging took me damn near 40 tries to finally kill her and it made me feel good. No group required, thankfully.

I have my own ideas for worst things but I hated collections deeply the second they appeared. It's all about grayed out boxes, map completion and achievements and wardrobe and collections, that are there just to be filled. Game of checkboxes, sometimes buried deep in the UI pages.
I got pretty frustrated about having to look up things before I took a step so the control freak in me could avoid accidentally getting some progress that I don't want, so... I generally avoid most things in the game now.
I wish I could switch that "progression" off somehow so I could go anywhere I like without some fanfare, or pick any item up without it potentially adding to the trash my accounts collect. Were things up to me there would be only inventory to maintain, no bloaty records to monitor.

Oh, heheh, I hate the "challenging content" too, I avoid combat whenever possible. Ooooh, I hate linear things too, like story instances.

I have no deep opinion of rewards. I don't follow the bling, I care (or cared) about doing stuff I like, like happily running around gathering materials. Selling. Buying things I like.

@Overlord RainyDay.2084 said:The question I have is, If raids and CM fractals aren't good enough, what would appropriately challenging content look like? If you've got a meta build, all-asceneded gear with stat infusions, know your class and your rotation inside and out, there's nowhere else to go with your character. Content is natually going to be easier for you than other players. If you're fully geared, what could be added that would make it challenging in a way that couldn't be invalidated by watching a youtube video or reading a guide by someone who cleared it already? More complicated mechanics? More intricate boss attack patterns? More randomness in enemy attacks? Tighten up the time limits until you can't afford any mistakes?

In gw2 there is no such thing, that's why im complaining. In gw1, there was a bunch of content with high rate of failure when pugging. That is what i want instead of time gated content with barely anything for you to grind for.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

@"Overlord RainyDay.2084" said:The question I have is, If raids and CM fractals aren't good enough, what would appropriately challenging content look like? If you've got a meta build, all-asceneded gear with stat infusions, know your class and your rotation inside and out, there's nowhere else to go with your character. Content is natually going to be easier for you than other players. If you're fully geared, what could be added that would make it challenging in a way that couldn't be invalidated by watching a youtube video or reading a guide by someone who cleared it already? More complicated mechanics? More intricate boss attack patterns? More randomness in enemy attacks? Tighten up the time limits until you can't afford any mistakes?

In gw2 there is no such thing, that's why im complaining. In gw1, there was a bunch of content with high rate of failure when pugging. That is what i want instead of time gated content with barely anything for you to grind for.

Look. As Dante described above, one of the GW2's Core Identities is the fact you can do Multiplayer without being social. Some examples :

• Event system lets you participate in multiplayer content by merely being near to other players. No grouping needed.
  • Loot is instanced
  • Tagging is enough to get kills, having to do last Damage is not needed
  • A robust LFG System to get into groups without communicating

You will probably find other examples by yourself. you can't change this core Element of the game.Basically only stuff which is the way you described are raids and T4 Fractals. Which are only added because 5% of players, who think like you wanted them. It was a gesture from Anet, to keep you satisfied. I am pretty sure they will not push the game more and more in that direction becasue that will leave the game with 40% of the current population If it gets extreme.

Nevertheless I understand your complain about "challenging" content. You really need to understand why something is challenging. I give you some examples :

• 1 Time Rrquirements -> Challenge is the amount of IRL Time. More you invest more you get successfull.
  • 2 Skill Requirements -> Challenge is to know how to play game mechanics. Deterity and knowledege of game systems makes you successful.
  • 3 Social Requirements -> Challenge is to get in contact with the right people, make friends, have patience. More skilled your friends are more successful you get (you get carried)

I am pretty sure that you understand content you suggest falls under Social Challenge, that is not really skill challenge. Raids are 70% Social, 20% Time (gear grind) and 10% skill.In my Opinion PvE should be a mix of 1 and 2. And ANET Markets the game like that since launch!!!! They put in some Nr. 3 into the mix (Raids) and that is very bad and is already creating not closable Gaps betweeen players which is not good at all.sPvP is 100% Skill challenge, If you really want skillful multiplayer conent go and play sPvP.that doesn't mean Skill challenge shouldn't be upped in PvE. It should be a mix of 1 and 2. You can create hard content for solo play. Like the example Dante gave.That also doesn''t mean GW2 is casual! In my opinion casuals DO NOT care about game mechanics or stuff they dont have. they just log in to "have fun". You cannot define someone, who invests in Ascended Armor and reads wikis and watches tutorials as Casual just because he doesn't "socialize".

TL:DR:My only Issue is Social Requiremenets should never be an Issue in this game at all!! That is what GW2 is! If you change that it becomes the same MMO like all the others.

Another core element of the game was instanced group play. Dungeons. The explorable paths were intended to be this game's challenging group content. They were described as GW2's raids. They failed to serve the purpose for which they were designed and so fractals and the current iteration of raids were implemented. These are a continuation of the original design intent, not some later addition.

Archived