Collections are the worst thing in this game

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@"Nuka Cola.8520" said:They're chores, chores worse than killing 10 rats for 5xp. You made em so people solve riddles and such, but who's really doing that? One out of thousand of players? Most will be alt tabbed searching the wiki. How is this fun? How is this content? Everything new is behind collections aka chores. These same skins could've been implemented in challenging content made for team play (because its an mmo, and that's what you do in mmo's), but instead, they're made for you to be alt tabbed doing chores while watching youtube videos. This is why your expansions run out of content in under a week, while GW1 expansions kept you busy until the next exp comes out, literally. People want to play content, and that content is not being wikipedia.

pretty much everything in the game is optional, it's your own choice to put in the efforts to obtain them

I still got 2/3 of PoF skins to collect, so why don't I do PoF contents to get them? because I dont feel like to

the fact that you are looking up wiki on the how-to and youtube clearly shows something wrong with your approach to the game, because these how-to guides are all written/made by player figured them out, anet did not send them a 'how-to' guide

you want the skins to be locked behind challenging content? just take a look the skins locked behind raidsand what happens? people complaining about "OMG!!! Raid is so hard, so toxic, so elitist" "Give us easy mode"

Just as PvP and WvW exclusive skins, you need to put in efforts to earn them

so please stop making these ignorant complaints to dumb down contents and put some efforts in, half of the fun of the game is figuring them out

Well, since you're at it, gaming in general is optional. That doesn't mean i can't have proper dungeons in an mmo that allows me to grind for skins that are all behind collections in this particular game.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:They're chores, chores worse than killing 10 rats for 5xp. You made em so people solve riddles and such, but who's really doing that? One out of thousand of players? Most will be alt tabbed searching the wiki. How is this fun? How is this content? Everything new is behind collections aka chores. These same skins could've been implemented in challenging content made for team play (because its an mmo, and that's what you do in mmo's), but instead, they're made for you to be alt tabbed doing chores while watching youtube videos. This is why your expansions run out of content in under a week, while GW1 expansions kept you busy until the next exp comes out, literally. People want to play content, and that content is not being wikipedia.

pretty much everything in the game is optional, it's your own choice to put in the efforts to obtain them

I still got 2/3 of PoF skins to collect, so why don't I do PoF contents to get them? because I dont feel like to

the fact that you are looking up wiki on the how-to and youtube clearly shows something wrong with your approach to the game, because these how-to guides are all written/made by player figured them out, anet did not send them a 'how-to' guide

you want the skins to be locked behind challenging content? just take a look the skins locked behind raidsand what happens? people complaining about "OMG!!! Raid is so hard, so toxic, so elitist" "Give us easy mode"

so please stop making these ignorant complaints to dumb down contents and put some efforts in, half of the fun of the game is figuring them out

Well, since you're at it, gaming in general is optional. That doesn't mean i can't have proper dungeons in an mmo that allows me to grind for skins that are all behind collections in this particular game.

there's already skins for dungeons and factals

if you are unable to appreciate anet's design philosophies, perhaps you should look else where, like going back to WoW:BFA

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:They’re not impossible to solve alone. People are just impatient or don’t want to put the effort into figuring them out.

They are, because some descriptions are wrong.

Examples?

The partners get early access to help with their streams. It’s not about getting guides out on day one.yes and thats why guildnews, dulfy&Co had guides one day after release online. and ... wonder .... all on private servers.Some ( not all ) Collections are designed that you need guides. win - win situation for gw2 and their partners.

Dulfy has people that are there explaining how to do all of the achievements and such so she can make her guides. If she had early access, specifically to make guides, don’t you think that all of those guides would have been released the second the release went live? Actually, have any guides been released in recent times upon a release going live?

Collections are not designed so that you need guides. They have tooltips that give you hints but the vast majority of them are pretty straightforward. Exceptions would be those that are intended to have players search the map.

Yeah, Dulfy doesn't have early access, she has an army of minions. The reason she gets guides up so quickly (within the first 24-48 hours) is because she does NOT work alone. She has helpers who go and do all the different content separately, then come back and they write out the guides together.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Solution: Don’t do the collections and instead play the content that you enjoy.

Problem: Anet forgot to add content i enjoy, and instead put all their effort into collections. If every skin from the collections could be acquired by playing the game, collections wouldn't be a problem. But that's not the case. Every single time new content is introduced, its gated behind collections. You despise them? Too bad, you're not getting anything new for the next two years when a new expansion comes out, and even then, most things are behind collections AGAIN.

Sounds like you need another game. Go for it. :+1:

@aspirine.5839 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Solution: Don’t do the collections and instead play the content that you enjoy.

Problem: Anet forgot to add content i enjoy, and instead put all their effort into collections. If every skin from the collections could be acquired by playing the game, collections wouldn't be a problem. But that's not the case. Every single time new content is introduced, its gated behind collections. You despise them? Too bad, you're not getting anything new for the next two years when a new expansion comes out, and even then, most things are behind collections AGAIN.

Would be on it for a long time if there was anything else.

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:They're chores, chores worse than killing 10 rats for 5xp. You made em so people solve riddles and such, but who's really doing that? One out of thousand of players? Most will be alt tabbed searching the wiki. How is this fun? How is this content? Everything new is behind collections aka chores. These same skins could've been implemented in challenging content made for team play (because its an mmo, and that's what you do in mmo's), but instead, they're made for you to be alt tabbed doing chores while watching youtube videos. This is why your expansions run out of content in under a week, while GW1 expansions kept you busy until the next exp comes out, literally. People want to play content, and that content is not being wikipedia.

if you are unable to appreciate anet's design philosophies, perhaps you should look else where, like going back to WoW:BFA

He bought his right to complain about design choices Anet makes :)

@crepuscular.9047 said:

I have over 100 ascended rings on storage characters, i think i have done enough fractals in 2012-2014. We in 2018, why would i do the useless fractals again?

Dungeons in this game were abandoned by devs themselves, and you want players to still do em? They aren't even dungeons anyways. They were a joke from day one, only worth doing at the very beginning when you were leveling up your first character and for armor/wep skins back in 2012. Suggesting others to play dungeons in 2018 should be considered as trolling lol.

I never played WoW and will never even try it. So no thanks.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

For years now! You have to admire his staying power.

@zenleto.6179 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Someone has to do the job.

@zenleto.6179 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

So what. Game has obvious shortcomings and is far from being a Jesus of mmos. Devs will never improve unless their customers keep complaining about stuff they don't like.

@zenleto.6179 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

yeah, pretty amazed how he's only bring this up now

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

Have you tried elder scrolls online? Supposed to be a very solid game. Might be worth the try?

@aspirine.6852 said:

Have you tried elder scrolls online? Supposed to be a very solid game. Might be worth the try?

I did not. The combat system looks too wooden for me. Spoiled by GW2.

About the only time I look at the wiki is when I'm trying to craft something so I know not to use a particular essence of luck up or how much I need to save along with the possible 'I'm freaking stumped wtf I do' on some of the jumping puzzles or achievements. Other than that, the game pretty much hands you the locations of everything. The new Sunken Treasure chests is one of them.

Compared to WoW, I'd take GW2's collection system ANY DAY. Especially when it comes to legendaries. Nothing was more frustrating than being in a current raid with a guild and being told 'NO, MAGE GETS ITEMS FOR LEGENDARY FIRST' and by the time the mage gets the legendary? Yeah, no one in the guild wants to do that raid anymore. With GW2 and it's collections, I don't have to compete with items I'll need. I don't have to worry about the legendary I'm after being obsolete in the next month. And overall, I don't have to deal with some ridiculously bad gating (Warlord's garrison, I'm looking at you) to get the item.

Collections are great save for one thing. Having to unlock them and go back and do content that you did. Its fine for newer collections to do that, but coming into the game and having all these collections locked sucks. It would be cool to do that little event and find about a lore piece that helps you on your way to making a legendary.

Disagree with OP. That's the point, you have to do them by yourself, without video. Communicate with people, use your own experience. You know, when you did map completion like 2+ times, you think you've known everything. you've seen everything but collections prove that you are wrong. Solve a little riddle, kill some champions, find place from discription/dialouge then find item on that location ... classic. This is what we've been doing, since GW2 release. Welcome to MMORPG, greenhorn sapling.

Giffon, Bettle, some of the current event ones, the reforgong of caladbolg(or w/e) are some of the best non content in the ow iv done sonce maybe early hot.

Lots of them suck tho but they are getting better at them.

But i agree that more rewards should be tied to group content since this is an mmo first and foremost.

@Mea.5491 said:Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

@otto.5684 said:

They were until Anet decided to lock 2 mounts behind them. Putting cosmetics behind collections is okay. Locking actual game content behind grind that a many people not willing to do is not acceptable.

Tell me which MMO gives you everything at day 1? I would gladly play, although not for long.Those 2 mounts are optional anyway. You can unlock 99% of content without them.

Every MMO will put their content behind grinding, questing, group content (dungeons, raid, etc), or greedy micro transactions. And I think GW2 have the best implementation so far.I like collections for two main reason :

1. They sort of a check list todo items. I know many gamers don't like this, but I think this is way better than grinding in most MMO. I'm tired of doing random things to expect random stuff.
  2. They are tied to my account instead of character, so I don't have to do the same thing over and over.

@otto.5684 said:

@"Mea.5491" said:Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

@Mea.5491 said:

@Mea.5491 said:Collections are optional and no one forces you to use guides, you can figure out everything alone.

If "many people are not willing" to unlock things in an MMO then why do they even play? Should we just get everything for logging in? Yeah, that's fun... /sarcasm

MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

@Nuka Cola.8520 said:

@Mea.5491 said:

MMO's is all about playing with others. Be it pvp or challenging endgame pve. What is a collection? Busy work. Busy work is not endgame nor pvp. What a waste.

That's funny because I did both Griffon and Beetle collections with guildies. :D Didn't feel like "busy work" to me, we had fun.

Archived