Confusion should function similar to retaliation

Hot Boy.7138

@Odik.4587 said:

You can't wait out 15 stacks of confusion.When you see 15 stacks you feel need to spam all skills you see ready on your skill bar? xDOh side note , mesmer confusion was removed from every shatter and put into f2 only . On top of that duraiton of confusion was heavily reduced ,like trait that prolonged confusion duration by 33%

BAsically when you have 15 stacks of confusion , you have the choice on trying to clean it and die .... or not doing anything and die . Great gameplay tho.

AW AW ! Nvm you can hope for a random support firebrand to cleanse you or spam resistance that might be corrupted too . But basically you're dead alone.

i'm Quite exaggerating there just for the funny fact.

You either have resistance/cleanse/dodge/pocket firebrand(use blink far away from mesmur)/do nothing this 3 seconds ? If you dont want then you clearly deserved to die ,like those who tank DJ (even if cuz of game desync doesnt show you laser or whatnot) thats just your problem :) . As I said before, we have excuses for invisible oneshots 60k WI(everything actually) ,but NERFED confusion ... ooo kitten so op :D

are you playing condi mirage? LUL condi application on this class is nuts. Scourge is kinda forgiven cause it spam corruptions on top of condi application ... but mirage has none.

And AS I SAID ... I was exaggerating the situation cause it looked funny to me how poor the confusion design is in this game compared to GW1.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This requires a bit of history to explain:Back until the first major condition rework in 2014, most conditions would stack duration, only bleeding, i think stacked intensity. Also there was a cap of 25 on all conditions, like there is for boons.This meant that you could have a condi build character, and you'd do little to no damage because your stacks would get removed, or prevented from applying, by power built characters.My first actual thought out build for my Ranger was a condi shortbow build focused on applying bleeds through auto, the knife the elite tentacles and rune of the krait. It was really cool, and when i was soloing it was easily melting through champions.The problem was when i moved into dungeons... At the time i didn't have many characters built only the Ranger and a Guardian (which, at the time, i was running a tank build on), so that being my better DPS character i would take it often into dungeons. Only to see my bleed ticks replaced by thieves' or warriors' bleed ticks. To the point that i folded and switched to a power Ranger, having only went back to an approximation of my original build now with soulbeast.

The problem with confusion, and the reverse with bleeding, is that the balance devs tend to "paint with a too broad of a brush"... That means that they generalize their changes and apply them somewhat blindly, and balance it later.That's why the "unique" aspect of bleeding is gone, in that it was the only damage condition that stacked, and now it's just another condition that stacks, especially more now since they reduced application to 1 stack to most conditions.

It did take a while for the problems to crop up though, but PoF had a few more condi builds than HoT, also there's the second "minor" rework that reduced the stack application that kinda made things even more apparent.

Of course Confusion is a bit of a outlier. It's broken, also because, imagine that, devs actually increased some of it's application when they were reducing other skills.I think that soon they should do a new condition rework, changing how conditions work mechanically so that each condition has it's own identity.In that regard confusion is kind of Ok already, but like a lot of people have already demonstrated in this post, it lacks counter-play. In fact that's a big issue with conditions. Counter-play for them is limited, and it's made worse with the addition of boon counter-play that can make everything worse.

@BeLZedaR.4790 said:The only real issue is that even the skill cleansing the confusion will deal damage to you.

Isnt they made all cleanses that actually cleanse confusion ,doesnt deal damage? Im too lazy to look on every single patchnote ,been a while . Feel free to tell results if you test it :D

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:Of course!Scourge condi spam is forgiven because its not just spam condis but will corrupt your boons,sounds like way worse than mirage (do you really enjoy 30s weakness? I dont for example)Ye old confusion was way better ,bring back old illusion traits/confusion !

@Hot Boy.7138 said:

@Hot Boy.7138 said:I expect a lot of backlash from this post, but this is my opinion. Confusion is too strong, and should be brought in line to the same level as retaliation.

The only backlash I'm going to give is that mesmer is the only class stacking confusion too much, so only their confusion application should be nerfed. The confusion application is fine on everybody else, so the condition shouldn't be nerfed directly.

Who is to say there won't be another class/build next meta that will be stacking confusion just as high or higher? That's why i think classes should be rebalanced for confusion only stacking in duration for the future.

I very much doubt another class will have the burst capability to stack 15+ stacks of confusion.I think it's time cleanses had their priority of cleanses changed. Since Anet is not going to change the nature of burst condition builds. Cleanses need to be changed to remove damaging conditions first and then remove non damaging conditions second.Too many times I have died and killed people because they remove weakness, vulnerable, and cripple while they have 10+ stacks of what ever damaging condition. That's a skill wasted that's supposed to help you survive and you will end up dying because the frequency of application for conditions is faster than the cooldowns on most classes for condi cleanse.

@Odik.4587 said:

@BeLZedaR.4790 said:The only real issue is that even the skill cleansing the confusion will deal damage to you.

Isnt they made all cleanses that actually cleanse confusion ,doesnt deal damage? Im too lazy to look on every single patchnote ,been a while . Feel free to tell results if you test it :D

No, cleanses count as a skill unless it's something like a weapon swap or dodge cleanse. Using for example cleansing fire will hit you for a confusion tick before getting removed.

@Nath Forge Tempete.1645 said:Of course!Scourge condi spam is forgiven because its not just spam condis but will corrupt your boons,sounds like way worse than mirage (do you really enjoy 30s weakness? I dont for example)Ye old confusion was way better ,bring back old illusion traits/confusion !

Funny thing. This is old confusion..This is launch confusion. The issue with this is that they changed confusion and never thought about the consequences of leaving mass stacking capabilities with the addition of expertise as a possible issue. It's very telling how little forethought the balance team has when making changes like this.

@Odik.4587 said:

Scourge condi spam is forgiven because its not just spam condis but will corrupt your boons,sounds like way worse than mirage (do you really enjoy 30s weakness? I dont for example)

Scourge condi spam is better because Necros are weak in mobility/disengage and active defenses, so they can be hard countered through multiple ways:

) Heavy firepower from range (lb Rangers, pistol Thief, rifle Thief, Hammer Rev, gs Mesmer...).) Heavy cc (Holosmith, Warrior, stunchain Thief...).

...Also, if they are focused by the enemy team usually need support from Guardians, Eles or Druids, whereas Mesmers have the means to evade a fight and reset it at will.

@Solori.6025 said:I know we have confusion as its used to be . Old - > previous what we had obsly?The issue with this is that they changed confusion and never thought about the consequences of leaving mass stacking capabilities with the addition of expertise as a possible issueCould describe any damaging condition roflAs for confu cleansing you and Belz are wrong , tested just now , if you remove exactly confusion , no damage taken as its been written in some patch

@Odik.4587 said:

@Solori.6025 said:I know we have confusion as its used to be . Old - > previous what we had obsly?The issue with this is that they changed confusion and never thought about the consequences of leaving mass stacking capabilities with the addition of expertise as a possible issueCould describe any damaging condition roflAs for confu cleansing you and Belz are wrong , tested just now , if you remove exactly confusion , no damage taken as its been written in some patch

Interesting. Last I tried I took damage though the skill used to cleanse was cleansing ire. But then I weapon swapped. So maybe that was my error and I never actually cleansed it correctly. Thanks for testing that though.

@Solori.6025 said:

Interesting. Last I tried I took damage though the skill used to cleanse was cleansing ire. But then I weapon swapped. So maybe that was my error and I never actually cleansed it correctly. Thanks for testing that though.

Its been written long time ago with confusion revert or abit later. Thing is -> purging flames is an attack/skill that first what it does burn your foes and then if allies been there, remove condition ,its doesnt say its remove 3 conditions from you as you use it .When you leave forge its remove condition -> removed confusion,ranger cleanses,thief signet,shadowstep ->tested on this. Cleansing ire remove condition after you hit ,your burst skill never intended to remove them ,something like that?:D

@Odik.4587 said:

Its been written long time ago with confusion revert or abit later. Thing is -> purging flames is an attack/skill that first what it does burn your foes and then if allies been there, remove condition ,its doesnt say its remove 3 conditions from you as you use it .When you leave forge its remove condition -> removed confusion,ranger cleanses,thief signet,shadowstep ->tested on this. Cleansing ire remove condition after you hit ,your burst skill never intended to remove them ,something like that?:D

Oh good point! I honestly didn't think of it that way.

@Hot Boy.7138 said:

You can't wait out 15 stacks of confusion.When you see 15 stacks you feel need to spam all skills you see ready on your skill bar? xDOh side note , mesmer confusion was removed from every shatter and put into f2 only . On top of that duraiton of confusion was heavily reduced ,like trait that prolonged confusion duration by 33%

Yet, confusion continues to be an issue. Hence, I've come up with a solution.

Nerfing something into the ground isn't a solution, or balance. You're better off making a thread about cleanse priority than coming up with a terrible solution, if you wanna call it that, for confusion.

Cleanse priority is situational.

Not everyone will like the idea of making confusion stack in duration instead of intensity. Seems fair to me and keeps the function of the condition. And I did list two conditions which would be better for confusion than the way it is live:1) Confusion doesn't stack in intensity, affects all skills.2) Confusion stacks in intensity, doesn't affect auto attacks, heals, and cleanse skills.

Seems fair to me.

This would literally make condi mesmers of all stripes completely unviable.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

Nerfing something into the ground isn't a solution, or balance. You're better off making a thread about cleanse priority than coming up with a terrible solution, if you wanna call it that, for confusion.

Not everyone will like the idea of making confusion stack in duration instead of intensity. Seems fair to me and keeps the function of the condition. And I did list two conditions which would be better for confusion than the way it is live:1) Confusion doesn't stack in intensity, affects all skills.2) Confusion stacks in intensity, doesn't affect auto attacks, heals, and cleanse skills.

Seems fair to me.

I'm sure there will be other changes in the balance patch to keep it viable. Balance patches usually involve many changes that all work toward balance.

@Hot Boy.7138 said:

Seems fair to me.

I'm sure there will be other changes in the balance patch to keep it viable. Balance patches usually involve many changes that all work toward balance.

You'd have smiters boon mesmers primary damage output which impacts the F2, Jaunt, Blinding Dissipation and Ineptitude, Scepter in it's entirety and Axe 3. That's far beyond the scope of a balance patch. that would require a complete rework of the class.

And confusion is one of the most fair damaging conditions in the game. It does pretty much no damage as long as you don't attack into it. The mechanics of it are fine. My biggest problem with confusion is loading it onto instant cast stuff like Jaunt.

@Hot Boy.7138 said:

Seems fair to me.

What makes you think they're going to change it in the first place? You just simply stated what you didn't want confusion to effect, and gave no reason why, then suggesting nerfs to it. Your intentions are pretty clear cut here. Like honestly, if you're killing yourself from autoattacking while having huge stacks on confusion on you, Then you might as well just stop while you're behind.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

Seems fair to me.

You'd have smiters boon mesmers primary damage output which impacts the F2, Jaunt, Blinding Dissipation and Ineptitude, Scepter in it's entirety and Axe 3. That's far beyond the scope of a balance patch. that would require a complete rework of the class.

And confusion is one of the most fair damaging conditions in the game. It does pretty much no damage as long as you don't attack into it. The mechanics of it are fine. My biggest problem with confusion is loading it onto instant cast stuff like Jaunt.

Yeah, it would require a rework. I think it's necessary and could be done. The one consistent thing about MMORPGs is that they continue to change. Mesmers aren't the only class that has access to confusion, but it will impact mesmers the most.

@Trigr.6481 said:

Seems fair to me.

What makes you think they're going to change it in the first place?

Your words imply that no one should discuss anything because nothing changes. In MMOs, everything has the possibility to change. Everything is worth a discussion if there is someone that wants to discuss it. You can join in on the discussion or ignore it. But if you think, "what makes you think they're going to change it in the first place?", then why even comment? I encourage everyone to share their ideas.I've explained my reason for the suggestion. It's in the thread.

@Hot Boy.7138 said:

Seems fair to me.

Your words imply that no one should discuss anything because nothing changes. In MMOs, everything has the possibility to change. Everything is worth a discussion if there is someone that wants to discuss it. You can join in on the discussion or ignore it. But if you think, "what makes you think they're going to change it in the first place?", then why even comment? I encourage everyone to share their ideas.I've explained my reason for the suggestion. It's in the thread.

And you misunderstood, let me be more clear. What makes you think they're going to change confusion solely based on your poor hardly thought out ideas regarding it? If you're going to suggest a change such as this, provide reasons why. To even bring up such things as auto attack being excluded from what confusion can damage tells me that you just want to be mindless regardless of how many stacks of confusion are on you, and suggest changing the entire mechanic to said condition to fit your lazy, unresponsive playstyle.

@Trigr.6481 said:

Seems fair to me.

And you misunderstood, let me be more clear. What makes you think they're going to change confusion solely based on your poor hardly thought out ideas regarding it? If you're going to suggest a change such as this, provide reasons why. To even bring up such things as auto attack being excluded from what confusion can damage tells me that you just want to be mindless regardless of how many stacks of confusion are on you, and suggest changing the entire mechanic to said condition to fit your lazy, unresponsive playstyle.

Your tone is expressing anger. I don't want my thread closed if the mods feel like the discussion has become unproductive. So i'm not going to respond to you any longer. But I hope you can find whatever answers you're looking for in the thread. Good day.

@Odik.4587 said:From what I seen you just made threads about things that kills you ,typical ones... 'X killed me so many times! nerf X pls so I can win ' :D

Yeah, I make posts about things I think should be different. All things I post about are only from my perspective. So some may agree, and some won't agree cause we are all playing different classes, builds, at different skill levels, and are ultimately just different kinds of players. So what I think is an issue, may not be for someone else. That should be obvious. Trying to tear someone down because their opinion is different because they are coming from a different perspective really goes against my personal ideals. In any case, I don't want this to become personal. i stand by my post. Confusion, as it is currently, is far too punishing.

@"Hot Boy.7138" said:Confusion, as it is currently, is far too punishing.

Hence why according to you its shouldnt do anything at all ?Because someone personal problems they wouldnt start another rework for MESMER while could rework othersYeah, I make posts about things I think should be differentSounds like "I struggle(cant win) against that and that, that should be different" but why that should be different?:D

@Odik.4587 said:

@"Hot Boy.7138" said:Confusion, as it is currently, is far too punishing.

Hence why according to you its shouldnt do anything at all ?Because someone personal problems they wouldnt start another rework for MESMER while could rework othersYeah, I make posts about things I think should be differentSounds like "I struggle(cant win) against that and that, that should be different" but why that should be different?:D

My friend, there are players of all classes and builds that I have struggled to beat. There isn't a single class that haven't killed me this season. Your implication is that I want to make the game easier only for myself. Essentially implying that I want to play on easy mode. If I wanted to play on easy mode, I could easily change my build to the one that has been dominating all year. What I seek isn't to make the game easier for myself, but to rebalance a condition I think is overly punishing. If you don't agree it is overly punishing, then I understand from your perspective it is fine as it is. From my perspective, and maybe the perspectives of others, confusion needs to be toned down even further, much further. My proposition adds more counter play to dealing with confusion. The function will remain the same. It will still continue to punish the use of skills, but to a much lesser extent. And I believe this is the change that is necessary to bring confusion, and builds that greatly capitalize on it, in line.

My issue with confusion stacking classes isn't personal at all, as you would like to make it seem. There are countless number of threads about builds that are able to easily stack confusion. There are countless number of threads about literally every class. So why so worried about this thread causing a rework? Chances of this thread having an influence on balance is no better and no worse than other threads that also have valid complaints. I do think confusion should be changed to stack only in duration, and the classes should be rebalanced with that change in mind.

@Hot Boy.7138 said:My issue with confusion stacking classes isn't personal at all, as you would like to make it seem. There are countless number of threads about builds that are able to easily stack confusion. There are countless number of threads about literally every classWhat kind of weed u are smoking? Whatever actuallyChances of this thread having an influence on balance is no better and no worse than other threads that also have valid complaints.0 :D

Archived