what spec works better with staff as a side weapon, condi reaper or condi scourge?

bara yaoi.3824

The question is a little confusing ... I'm not sure you will get a good answer because people don't tend to quantify non-meta builds for DPS.

I think most people default to torch on Scourge condi. I tend to as well. I don't find the effects on off hand dagger all that necessary compared to torch. It's just more of the same. Torch actually gives you different effects, so I think it's best. OVerall, Scourge gives a better condi build than Reaper does because it's less dependent on other effects to apply conditions.

As for Reaper, condi builds depend on how much chill you can apply. I guess if I absolutely had to, I would use Scepter/dagger, but I don't know if I would even bother with a condi Reaper anymore. I think the best way to a condi Reaper is still GS with secondary sources of chill.

@Jethro.9376 said:You could also argue that reaper makes better use of staff skills than scourge.Scourge has (besides utillity skills both specs have) no way to interact with the poison field on staff 3 and since scourge can cleanse condis of himself he doesn't need staff 4 as much

Wouldn't gs be better? I mean GS and axe are the best dmg unless you want a support spec, also depending on the game mode.

@Axl.8924 said:Wouldn't gs be better? I mean GS and axe are the best dmg unless you want a support spec, also depending on the game mode.

Of course GS is better and axe is no condi weapon.

Just trying to stick to the topic and answer the question.It's not easy to find reasons to use staff as DPS weapon over literally everything else.

@Jethro.9376 said:

@Axl.8924 said:Wouldn't gs be better? I mean GS and axe are the best dmg unless you want a support spec, also depending on the game mode.

Of course GS is better and axe is no condi weapon.

Just trying to stick to the topic and answer the question.It's not easy to find reasons to use staff as DPS weapon over literally everything else.

Sure a support build of type maybe of scourge for pvp?

Dagger warhorn and Staff

@"Axl.8924" said:Sure a support build of type maybe of scourge for pvp?

Dagger warhorn and Staff

I don't play that much PvP, but sure. Staff is good to generate LF at the start of an encounter and maybe activate some enemy passives or simply remove aegis.I'd use axe over dagger to minimize the thread of getting outpressured by ranged attacks harder than they already do. But that's more of personal preference.

Almost the same goes for PvE. Staff offers enough to be viable (blasting a field, a bit of regeneration), if needed.Camping dagger just generates more LF to justify sticking to it. Just because you can spam barrier and heal, while dealing more damage. Being up close and "in danger" to do so, is the only downside that i can think of right now.

If you have to use staff, you use it for the AoE utility. I count it as non-zero dps and soft CC, not "dps", so I think you are looking at staff backwards.

Do not use staff if you have any better choice. That may sound negative but it is my own, personal truth. There are places staff is the best choice, just not with any concept of dps. If you are using staff, it is for soft CC or tagging trash mobs.

@Obtena.7952 said:The question is a little confusing ... I'm not sure you will get a good answer because people don't tend to quantify non-meta builds for DPS.

I think most people default to torch on Scourge condi. I tend to as well. I don't find the effects on off hand dagger all that necessary compared to torch. It's just more of the same. Torch actually gives you different effects, so I think it's best. OVerall, Scourge gives a better condi build than Reaper does because it's less dependent on other effects to apply conditions.

As for Reaper, condi builds depend on how much chill you can apply. I guess if I absolutely had to, I would use Scepter/dagger, but I don't know if I would even bother with a condi Reaper anymore. I think the best way to a condi Reaper is still GS with secondary sources of chill.

Don't understand you. You keep telling to play non meta scourge but then give the exact meta answers.

Ok first of: meta sets of the specs for most DPS:Reaper: greatsword + scepter/daggerScourge: one weaponswap is scepter other weaponswap is offhand torch

All is pve.

Now for the question which build works better with staff, but Im Not telling you what to play. Just talking about synergies.

On scourge, staff is great to hit a lot of enemies but only gives you one source of bleed and one source of poison. But gives okayish cleave mixed together with the shades

On reaper, staff will give you two bleeds and one poison. As you get bleed from the chill= bleed trait. And you can go like: weaponswap to staff. Use staff 2 + 3 then go reapers shroud use autoattacks to stack burning from dhuumfire and use the 5+4 combo, then go out of shroud, use staff 2 again, weaponswap to scepter/dagger

But overall, staff is more a utility weapon, not a damage one.If you are missing some lifeforce, you can use some staff autoattacks to refill. But be careful, as they literally do no dmg.

So if you don't like greatsword, and prefer staff, I recommend playing it on reaper.As you can tag many enemies, so they walk up to you, then use the shroud 5+4 combo to get those bleed stacks going on all of them.Also you can use staff 3 + shroud 4 to apply a lot of poison stacks to enemies.

Ps: I forgot that fear also applies chill of you play reaper. And then it applies bleeding, so you got like 3 sources of bleed on the staff when playing reaper.

I wouldn't recommend staff for higher tier fractals and raids tho.

Staff is a good pick on all necro builds but that does not mean its the best pick. Its good utility when you need unblockables / extra lf with the trait / or simply want more aoe or zone control depend on your game mode.

It wont be a Primary damage weapon though you would be better with almost any other weapon combination if you are looking for just more damage.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:The question is a little confusing ... I'm not sure you will get a good answer because people don't tend to quantify non-meta builds for DPS.

Don't understand you. You keep telling to play non meta scourge but then give the exact meta answers.

You will have to keep guessing then. I don't think there was anything here that didn't really oppose much of the other sentiment in the thread. Staff isn't that great. If someone wants to use it, it's probably for some kind of theme based build. OP was asking about what works better ... seems that's a question related to builds tending towards optimal to me ... Of course my answer is going to mention that staff isn't optimal.

Archived