How to Properly Balance Rune of the Sanctuary

shadowpass.4236

@Yannir.4132 said:Why do you suggest this exactly? Instead of the Sanctuary runes t6 bonus simply not proccing from life-steal and ressing?

The rune seems to have a weird interaction with barrier itself btw. If you use Desert Empowerment, using F1 will give +20% barrier but F3 and F5 don't.

Here's why: If you don't completely remove the new ability for Abraisive Grit to proc infinitely more than it did yesterday, it'll still be broken. Even if you can't proc it from life-stealing, like you just suggested, you could just have teammates with plenty of tiny pulsing heals proc the Scourge's runes, and further proc Abraisive Grit a high amount of times per second from the barrier they get. In teamfights it'd still be condi immunity. Putting ICDs on Abraisive Grit like Shadowfall is suggesting further complicates it and devolves Abraisive Grit to requiring these runes and being passive.

That is why you must kill the interaction between Abraisive Grit and Sanctuary Rune's t6 set.

I did suggest multiple times to not have the t6 Barrier bonus proc off of ressing as well. It has to be both

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@shadowpass.4236 said:

@shadowpass.4236 said:The issue isn't the tiny amount of additional sustain, it's the might and condition clear you get from Abrasive Grit. I suggested that the ICD on AG be 1s per target. This would still still enable Scourge to cleanse several conditions while lowering it's effectiveness against lower numbers of enemies.

I see you're proposing a nerf to scourge rather than merely addressing the rune oversight. If you think a nerf to scourge's condi clear is warranted (in absence of the rune), I disagree, but that's a separate topic.

The rune alone is a massive buff to Blood Scourge's condition clear. The nerf I proposed simply makes it a smaller buff.

Scourge does not have rune of sanctuary built in. Nerfing any class so that a specific rune is mandatory is a very bad move.

How would putting a .5/1s ICD on AG make Rune of Sanctuary mandatory?

It's not to that extreme, but that's the line of reasoning that your proposed fix follows. You're making changes as though scourge is always going to use rune of sanctuary. Nerfing the trait so that the only way to get back the lost power is to take the rune is not good design. Just fix the issue without messing with an already fine trait.

The issue is Rune of Sanctuary's interaction with Abrasive Grit. The rune is balanced on every other class so why would you nerf the rune instead of directly tweaking the problem?

I don't know who you think you're replying to, but I have been saying this entire time that the idea is to not nerf either one. Only nerf the interaction between them.

nerfing the trait is not directly tweaking the problem. It's merely doing the wrong thing from the other side.

@Chaith.8256 said:

Yeah that's true. I suggested such a low ICD because I had multiple people telling me that a 1s ICD would completely neuter the trait. Even then, it still didn't make much sense to me because even a 2-3s ICD on AG would still be insanely strong with or without RoS.

I like it, but I have mixed feelings because RoS + Blood Scourge could be another viable and fun build to play if tweaked correctly. Completely removing their interactions just results in less build diversity.

Abraisive Grit is a trait that you strategically use your barriers to cleanse conditions with. Having no ICD is key so you can:
  • Sand Cascade, Desert Shroud, Manifest Sand Shade (with the barrier granting Master trait), Sand Swell, Sand Flare - do this all freely in a short period without worrying about a 2-3s ICD on the effect.

Getting Might and condi clear from any attack whether it's every 5.s, 1s, 2s, or 3s, that you've suggested, it's just passive and unplanned. Abraisive Grit is designed to build synergy with your barrier granting skills & traits, not to be ruled by one rune.

I think you should give up on suggesting to keep this Runeset super extra potent for Scourge alone. The fact that all the siphons work with it, that IS a good synergy. It'd still be a totally respectable rune for any Blood/Wells spec.

Fair enough. If people are dead-set on keeping AG with no ICD, flat out removing the interaction between RoS and AG would be the best way to go.

This, way, Blood Scourge would no longer be a very viable option in competitive play and people will be able to burst cleanse 5 conditions every 25 seconds as opposed to having 3 cleansed every 9 seconds with a 3s ICD. In other words, people would rather have less build diversity and less condition clear per second.

Personally, I don't understand why people want this. But, if that's what everyone wants then w/e

@shadowpass.4236 said:@mortrialus.3062

Putting an 2s ICD on AG would cap out the might stacks at 6 while still giving necros access to a condition cleanse every 2 seconds. That's 5 every 10 seconds or 30 conditions cleansed per minute. This is still incredibly strong and allows RoS to continue being a viable option for most classes/builds.

My suggestion solves the issues:

1. Easy access to permanent 25 might
  2. Infinite condition clears
  3. Too much res speed
  1. Scourges do not need free passive condition cleanses every two seconds.
  2. I see no justification for nerfing AG when scourges were doing perfectly fine literally yesterday before this rune was added.
  3. When gear, or sigils, or runes are actively breaking the game because of class interactions, the gear, sigils and runes deserve to get nerfed first. This isn't even like a PvE Sigil of Concentration where weapon swapping for the proc has been a legacy staple of the class game play stile for years. It's something added yesterday that is overtuned, and also has broken interractions.

Also, even not including the broken trait interaction this rune is so obviously overtuned. Just compare it with any other 6 set bonus. It's effectively passive 20% increased healing output in barrier with no stat investment required. Compare it with other dedicated healing runes like Rune of Dwayna, which is 10% Health and 20% increased healing but only from Regeneration. Or Rune of Water where the 6 bonus is 10% increased Boon Duration and a single AoE condition cleanse when using a healing skill (20 Second Cooldown. Or Rune of the Monk, which is 10% Outgoing Healing with a stacking buff that can add another 10% to Outgoing Healing, but again you personally cannot take advantage of and it's clear as day how overtuned Sanctuary Rune is. The meta did not need to give Spellbreakers, Soulbeasts, Holos, Scourges, Firebrands and Druids free passive 20% additional healing with basically no stat investment.

@Solidaris.5423 said:What if:There would not be a cooldown on the whole trait but it would still grant barrier without cooldown condi cleanse with a CD of 3 seconds and give Might with a cooldown 3 seconds or something like that?

Not be a cooldown on the whole trait but the condi cleanse on 3s ICD, and the might on 3s ICD? Literally all Abraisive Grit does it give condi cleanse and might. That is the whole trait.

Are you wrongly thinking I'm suggesting Necro stops getting barrier from this rune like everyone else? I'm not. I'm fine with Siphons or whatever healing your class has to proc the 20% Barrier when you rune this rune.

@Chaith.8256 said:

@Solidaris.5423 said:What if:There would not be a cooldown on the whole trait but it would still grant barrier without cooldown condi cleanse with a CD of 3 seconds and give Might with a cooldown 3 seconds or something like that?

Not be a cooldown on the whole trait but the condi cleanse on 3s ICD, and the might on 3s ICD? Literally all Abraisive Grit does it give condi cleanse and might. That is the whole trait.

Are you wrongly thinking I'm suggesting Necro stops getting barrier from this rune like everyone else? I'm not. I'm fine with Siphons or whatever healing your class has to proc the 20% Barrier when you rune this rune.

Well I am trying to find a golden middle ground for this.As I said nerfing the Rune might kill viable builds which we do not know of right now on other classes but nerfing the traits might kill viable builds which don't use this rune but something else.

But then again who knows what broken builds are running out there due to this or any other reworked rune out there which we do not know about because it was not captured by a well-known streamer ¯\(ツ)

@Solidaris.5423 said:

Well I am trying to find a golden middle ground for this.As I said nerfing the Rune might kill viable builds which we do not know of right now on other classes but nerfing the traits might kill viable builds which don't use this rune but something else.

But then again who knows what broken builds are running out there due to this or any other reworked rune out there which we do not know about because it was not captured by a well-known streamer ¯\
(ツ)

We literally had a meta just yesterday where 8/9 every class had at least 1 really good viable build, with several classes having multiple ones, with the one class struggling being Elementalists. Yesterday. What meta builds are you breaking by removing this one rune that has only existed in this state for less than a day?

@Solidaris.5423 said:

As I said nerfing the Rune might kill viable builds which we do not know of right now on other classes but nerfing the traits might kill viable builds which don't use this rune but something else.

The beauty of my suggestion is that you don't have to nerf any rune or trait. You just stop them from interacting where it's clearly unintended.

Sanctuary runes by nature give you 12312312930129301231203 tiny barriers per second, based on your class and how big a fight you're in. Why expect that should be proccing Abraisive Grit? What a crazy expectation.

Sanctuary runes giving you a lot of barrier when you're on your back getting revived by people... why expect that revive healing should be proccing Sanctuary Rune barriers? Revive ticks are not real healing, it doesn't get boosted a ton when you wear monk runes for example, or get affected by outgoing healing buffs. Why would anyone expect to keep their decent sized barriers when they get revived?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because 90% of the people in this thread seem to think Abraisive Grit proccing on these miniscule barriers is a good thing.

@Chaith.8256 said:

As I said nerfing the Rune might kill viable builds which we do not know of right now on other classes but nerfing the traits might kill viable builds which don't use this rune but something else.

The beauty of my suggestion is that you don't have to nerf any rune or trait. You just stop them from interacting where it's clearly unintended.

Sanctuary runes by nature give you 12312312930129301231203 tiny barriers per second, based on your class and how big a fight you're in. Why expect that should be proccing Abraisive Grit? What a crazy expectation.

Sanctuary runes giving you a lot of barrier when you're on your back getting revived by people... why expect that revive healing should be proccing Sanctuary Rune barriers? Revive ticks are not real healing, it doesn't get boosted a ton when you wear monk runes for example, or get affected by outgoing healing buffs. Why would anyone expect to keep their decent sized barriers when they get revived?

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills because 90% of the people in this thread seem to think Abraisive Grit proccing on these miniscule barriers is a good thing.

Well calm down no need to get upset about people having an opinion. I am just weirded out that people make such a fuss about something which was found out by accident and wanted to know more about it.

And yeah maybe cutting off the interaction between certain traits and runes would help but who knows what other bugs will pop up after that (because there will be for sure :D )

@mortrialus.3062 said:

We literally had a meta just yesterday where 8/9 every class had at least 1 really good viable build, with several classes having multiple ones, with the one class struggling being Elementalists. Yesterday. What meta builds are you breaking by removing this one rune that has only existed in this state for less than a day?

And how do you know if there aren't any builds out there which benefits from this and are strong (but not OP) after one day? It does not need to be meta just be viable. We don't know how many builds are out there which are not listed as meta but are good.This is my point we don't know after just a day what builds could have been meta if we start nerfing after just a day of a change.

@shadowpass.4236 said:Fair enough. If people are dead-set on keeping AG with no ICD, flat out removing the interaction between RoS and AG would be the best way to go.

This, way, Blood Scourge would no longer be a very viable option in competitive play and people will be able to burst cleanse 5 conditions every 25 seconds as opposed to having 3 cleansed every 9 seconds with a 3s ICD. In other words, people would rather have less build diversity and less condition clear per second.

Personally, I don't understand why people want this. But, if that's what everyone wants then w/e

If you put an ICD on Abraisive Grit, you wouldn't need to be Blood with Siphons every millisecond to proc Abraisive Grit on cooldown. You could run standard Curses Scourge/Firebrand and the firebrand & scourge would easily proc Abraisive Grit as soon as its ICD was recharged.

Your vision for how it would play out to be a 'more build diversity' situation, IE helping Blood Scourge, that's not even real. This rune only breaks Blood Scourge now because there is no ICD on abraisive Grit so all those tiny barriers from well Siphoning gives you inifinite condi clear.

@Solidaris.5423 said:

Well calm down no need to get upset about people having an opinion. I am just weirded out that people make such a fuss about something which was found out by accident and wanted to know more about it.

And yeah maybe cutting off the interaction between certain traits and runes would help but who knows what other bugs will pop up after that (because there will be for sure :D )

And how do you know if there aren't any builds out there which benefits from this and are strong (but not OP) after one day? It does not need to be meta just be viable. We don't know how many builds are out there which are not listed as meta but are good.This is my point we don't know after just a day what builds could have been meta if we start nerfing after just a day of a change.
  1. Almost every build in the game right now is able to take huge advantage of Sanctuary Runes, especially builds that have large amounts of passive healing rolling into them. Because free 20% extra healing with no stat investment is stupid.
  2. If a build that wasn't viable can only be viable because of this rune (Which is already overbuffing top tier meta builds like Spellbreaker, Soulbeast, Holosmith), fuck it.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

1. Almost every build in the game right now is able to take huge advantage of Sanctuary Runes, especially builds that have large amounts of passive healing rolling into them. Because free 20% extra healing with no stat investment is stupid.
  2. If a build that wasn't viable can only be viable because of this rune (Which is already overbuffing top tier meta builds), kitten it.

Wait...shadowpass said passive healing do not proc the effect of this Rune only pulsing heals o.O

@shadowpass.4236 said:

Ah yeah, I forgot to respond to that question.

So, RoS doesn't affect passive healing at all. The 6th bonus only triggers on active healing skills. This means skills like: Rugged Growth, Adrenal Health, Healing Signet, Signet of Renewal, Regeneration (boon), etc. etc. don't give you additional healing/barrier.

However, pulsing heals like Troll Unguent or False Oasis ARE affected by the 6th bonus.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

2. If a build that wasn't viable can only be viable because of this rune (Which is already overbuffing top tier meta builds), kitten it.

Sanctuary Runes are fine outside the Reviving and Abraisive Grit interactions. Gaining 20% barrier on direct healing, (not all healing!) instead of say, leadership's 10% boon duration and AoE 3 condi conversion on your elite skill? Fairly balanced trade-off. Or for example, many of the new rune 6pc skills are equally amazing. Eagle giving you +125 Ferocity and 10% damage vs. under half health foes. Is getting 20% barrier on direct heals overpowered when comparing? No.

(Not unless it's giving you infinite Abraisive Grit procs, or considering revive ticks as 'healing'.) Once that's fixed, Sanctuary rune is fine.

@Solidaris.5423 said:

Wait...shadowpass said passive healing do not proc the effect of this Rune only pulsing heals o.O

Ah yeah, I forgot to respond to that question.

So, RoS doesn't affect passive healing at all. The 6th bonus only triggers on active healing skills. This means skills like: Rugged Growth, Adrenal Health, Healing Signet, Signet of Renewal, Regeneration (boon), etc. etc. don't give you additional healing/barrier.

However, pulsing heals like Troll Unguent or False Oasis ARE affected by the 6th bonus.

I guess I consider Troll Unguent to be semi passive since it is a heal over time.

Shad> @"shadowpass.4236" said:

I think a lot of people are overreacting to the rework of this sigil. It essentially increases the amount of healing you gain actively (does not affect passive regen) by 20%. The rune is good on most classes and effective in many different variations of builds. It is NOT (in my opinion) overpowered.

However, after playing ranked/unranked for several hours today, both as and against other Scourges, I've come to the conclusion that the only broken interaction the rune has is with resurrecting downed bodies. This isn't an issue with Scourge specifically, but the rune basically gives everyone a free 10% additional res speed. This, combined with other res traits/utilities means that cleaving a downed body becomes nearly impossible in a team fight when multiple people coordinate the res.

So, my suggestion is to prevent Rune of the Sanctuary from affecting downed bodies. Everything else seems fine to me.

Also, it's worth noting that Scourges have stronger condi clear and easy access to might with this rune. Even then, I still don't think it's necessarily broken. Scourges still die to power damage and the condi clear is roughly as strong as Diamond Skin while Desert Shroud and Transfusion are on cooldown. You can check out my latest broadcast on twitch to see how I deal with Blood Scourges both in a mirror matchup and as a variety of other classes and builds.

If you (Anet) were to fix this "issue," putting a .5s or 1s ICD (possibly per target) on Abrasive Grit solves the problem without any dire consequences.

you keep talking, over and over again how this is solely a necro issue.....I do think it's a problem with necros...I mean, can anyone else in game rez someone in 2 secs? That isht needs to be nerfed into the ground on any class that can rezbot.

But lets adress the following I pulled from another thread that addresses issues with all classes using itThis is broken because of the following.This works in downstate, meaning that the barrier is multiplied based on how many people are ressing you.So technically it's going to be near impossible to dps out a target that has this rune equipped.This also works with Signet Of Mercy, meaning that if a downed target gets ressed with Rune Of Sanc they literally get max barrier.

Care to address that?

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:you keep talking, over and over again how this is solely a necro issue.....I do think it's a problem with necros...I mean, can anyone else in game rez someone in 2 secs? That isht needs to be nerfed into the ground on any class that can rezbot.

But lets adress the following I pulled from another thread that addresses issues with all classes using itThis is broken because of the following.This works in downstate, meaning that the barrier is multiplied based on how many people are ressing you.So technically it's going to be near impossible to dps out a target that has this rune equipped.This also works with Signet Of Mercy, meaning that if a downed target gets ressed with Rune Of Sanc they literally get max barrier.

Care to address that?

?? Shadowpass clearly shares your opinion that it affecting revives is unfair and shouldn't be a thing. This is the PvP forum and Mercy Runes don't exist here. However, I'm sure that's broken as hell anyways, and nobody in this thread thinks Sanctuary Runes should continue to give you barrier when you're downed and being revived.

The area of contention in this thread seems to be with multiple people thinking Scourge's Abraisive Grit proccing off the tiny barrier spam from this rune is good or should stay.

Also: Alot of people don't understand all how the traits and runes interact yet and are still trying to get their heads around it..

@EnderzShadow.2506 said:Shad> @"shadowpass.4236" said:

I think a lot of people are overreacting to the rework of this sigil. It essentially increases the amount of healing you gain actively (does not affect passive regen) by 20%. The rune is good on most classes and effective in many different variations of builds. It is NOT (in my opinion) overpowered.

However, after playing ranked/unranked for several hours today, both as and against other Scourges, I've come to the conclusion that the only broken interaction the rune has is with resurrecting downed bodies. This isn't an issue with Scourge specifically, but the rune basically gives everyone a free 10% additional res speed. This, combined with other res traits/utilities means that cleaving a downed body becomes nearly impossible in a team fight when multiple people coordinate the res.

So, my suggestion is to prevent Rune of the Sanctuary from affecting downed bodies. Everything else seems fine to me.

Also, it's worth noting that Scourges have stronger condi clear and easy access to might with this rune. Even then, I still don't think it's necessarily broken. Scourges still die to power damage and the condi clear is roughly as strong as Diamond Skin while Desert Shroud and Transfusion are on cooldown. You can check out my
to see how I deal with Blood Scourges both in a mirror matchup and as a variety of other classes and builds.

If you (Anet) were to fix this "issue," putting a .5s or 1s ICD (possibly per target) on Abrasive Grit solves the problem without any dire consequences.

you keep talking, over and over again how this is solely a necro issue.....I do think it's a problem with necros...I mean, can anyone else in game rez someone in 2 secs? That isht needs to be nerfed into the ground on any class that can rezbot.

But lets adress the following I pulled from another thread that addresses issues with all classes using it
This is broken because of the following.This works in downstate, meaning that the barrier is multiplied based on how many people are ressing you.So technically it's going to be near impossible to dps out a target that has this rune equipped.This also works with Signet Of Mercy, meaning that if a downed target gets ressed with Rune Of Sanc they literally get max barrier.

Care to address that?

???

I did.

Why would you quote my OP if you didn't even read it? lol...

Also, it's worth noting that Scourges have stronger condi clear and easy access to might with this rune. Even then, I still don't think it's necessarily broken. Scourges still die to power damage and the condi clear is roughly as strong as Diamond Skin while Desert Shroud and Transfusion are on cooldown. You can check out my
to see how I deal with Blood Scourges both in a mirror matchup and as a variety of other classes and builds.

But lets adress the following I pulled from another thread that addresses issues with all classes using it
This is broken because of the following.This works in downstate, meaning that the barrier is multiplied based on how many people are ressing you.So technically it's going to be near impossible to dps out a target that has this rune equipped.This also works with Signet Of Mercy, meaning that if a downed target gets ressed with Rune Of Sanc they literally get max barrier.

Care to address that?

Shadowpass really just cares about how it interacts with Boonbeast and Druid, both of which massively benefit from Sanctuary Runes and Boonbeast definitely doesn't need buffs right now.

@mortrialus.3062 said:

Care to address that?

Shadowpass really just cares about how it interacts with Boonbeast and Druid, both of which massively benefit from Sanctuary Runes and Boonbeast definitely doesn't need buffs right now.

Mortrialus just makes assumptions because attempting to insult me contributes to this thread in a meaningful way.

Now, since you clearly didn't know, the only interaction RoS has with boonbeast is through TU and Spiritual Reprieve. In other words, I gain an extra 1600 total healing on my healing skill (roughly equal to Rune of Water pre-patch) and 800 additional health/barrier every 40 seconds on SR. Druid on the other hands gains a very nice additional 48 health with a 1s ICD every time I heal an ally and 1500 total health across CA skills 1-4. Clearly, these interactions aren't overtuned and don't "massively benefit" from Sanctuary Runes.

But by all means, continue to use Ad Hominem when you have nothing relevant to add.

@mortrialus.3062 said:Shadowpass really just cares about how it interacts with Boonbeast and Druid, both of which massively benefit from Sanctuary Runes and Boonbeast definitely doesn't need buffs right now.

Boonbeast doesn't benefit more from Sanctuary Rune than any other profession.... um, less benefit that many classes to be honest. Everyone has their class biases but Boonbeast isn't really known for its direct heal spamming.

I find its better for classes like Scrapper that has a +15% multiplier on incoming barriers, and a direct heal like Healing Turret, Super Elixir, and you gain 7 barrier for every single boon you apply to yourself from Compounding Chemicals. What this does it allow you to keep high uptime of Barrier so that your Grandmaster Trait that is a -20% condition damage multiplier when you have active barrier can work.

Even with all that Scrapper Synergy, the runeset is still not outperforming say.. Rune of Speed, Leadership, Eagle, etc. by a noticeable amount.. if you're gonna make accusations of bias, which obviously does exist, there's only a point if the facts do actually favor that profession

Archived