Guide: Maximizing WXP Gain for Rankups

neven.3785

While many took advantage of the increased rewards of the old Edge of the Mist System to jump ahead in rank (often going for ultimate dominator), many of us stood back and refused to play in it because we weren't a fan of k-trains and higher ranks get focused more in engagements. However now it matters, so here are some tips on how to Level up quickly to get those extra Pips.

1) Boosters are your friends. You have the guild hall booster (WXP), Celebration/birthday boosters, and XP boosters.

2) Kill Guards EVERYWHERE. Towers and keeps have tons of guards patrolling or at the gates, quickly kill them as you pass even if the objective means nothing to you, its quick to do and its free wxp. If you have ranged, aoe the guards on the walls if you arent a wet noodle spec.

3) Cap Shrines and Sentries. If you are on Red BL, the shrines also can drop lode stones and capping them (or clicking the alter when you own them) gives you an awesome speed buff.

4) Repair objectives that are contested even if you are just passing through, supply spent will give you credit for the defense of the objective, and it will also give you wxp for the repair itself. You dont need to stand there fixing the wall completely, spend your supply and move on. Of course if you want, repair it completely, even if people are yelling at you to not waste supply, since its WXP you are after, not their approval.
****Note: If its being trebbed, use supply from somewhere else to get credit, and don't cut off a forces path of retreat if they are fighting near an open wall

5) Use Food and Utility Consumables. There are a ton of cheap food and utilities, the extra stats will help you kill guards faster, and if you dont need help with that, magic find always is a nice plus.

6) Kill people. People who arent being killed over and over again by yourself (or your group) will grant a lot of wxp, this is one of the primary reasons why playing in smaller groups and having a more well rounded wvw experience grants you more rank up chests then zergs clashing into eachother over and over again. if you are not comfortable in wvw on your own, tag along with other people, but do them a favour and at least run a build more suited for wvw. http://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki has a bunch of builds for each class. Some people may say the builds are outdated, but the builds are a lot better than many of the PvE builds for this game mode. Most guilds who go for Kills generally stick with variants of the Meta builds, but you will find much of those listed as Great on the site work fine for what you want to achieve.

Condition cleanse, Stun-breaks, Resistance and stability will go a long way in helping you stay alive, so all DPS utilities may not be in your best interest ;)

Using server comms like TS/Discord/Mumble/Ventrillo/etc will help you stay alive, most don't need you to talk, just listen. There are rude people everywhere and just like in game, you can mute/block/ignore people who you cant stand.

Keeping these points in mind, whether your in a zerg, roaming or in a small havoc group, you will help maximise your wxp gain. Even if.you are a high rank you still get decent drops in the rank up chests.

@Rabongboge.2671 said:anyway, if i only hit the guard like one or two hits while i am just passing by them, will i eventually get WXP when they are eventually killed by other players?

As long as you meet the damage requirements (so I've heard there's a minimum amount you have to do) then yeah, you'll get credit. On most power orientated classes I've literally only ever had to hit an NPC once to get credit. On healbot/condi specs it's a little more troublesome.

Hope that answers your question.

I think you missed the most important tip here: have fun!

Gaining hundreds or thousands of WXP levels isn't gonna happen overnight, and can become a major pain if that's all you're after. My advice is not to play WvW for the ranks, but instead for fun. The XP bar will nicely fill over and over again in the background, while you are not caring about it and are just enjoying yourself instead, with no fear of burning out.

Also, about boosters: to maximize the effectiveness, you should have a dedicated WvW character in one of your slots. If you pop a 24-hour booster just to max out your WXP gain, every minute of PvE and other gamemodes are going to waste your booster. So if possible, pop all your boosters on your WvW character(s) only. Those short 30min-2hour boosts: don't use them while roaming. When you find a decent group, and are about to cap a big objective, use them just before you cap. This way you maximize their usefulness, since you are constantly capping objectives for double xp instead of running around killing guards and roamers.

@neven.3785 said:

2) Kill Guards EVERYWHERE. Towers and keeps have tons of guards patrolling or at the gates, quickly kill them as you pass even if the objective means nothing to you, its quick to do and its free wxp. If you have ranged, aoe the guards on the walls if you arent a wet noodle spec.

You missed an important side effect of killing guards as you pass towers and keeps, if they are later capped by your server you will then gain credit and WXP for that objective, this can be a huge bonus.

@Vavume.8065 said:

@neven.3785 said:

2) Kill Guards EVERYWHERE.
Towers and keeps have tons of guards patrolling or at the gates, quickly kill them as you pass even if the objective means nothing to you, its quick to do and its free wxp. If you have ranged, aoe the guards on the walls if you arent a wet noodle spec.

You missed an important side effect of killing guards as you pass towers and keeps, if they are later capped by your server you will then gain credit and WXP for that objective, this can be a huge bonus.

AND helps with participation / decay.

@skyhawk.5149 said:Should also always get on siege if possible I think it's about 100?wxp for each wall you help take down even if you only tapped the wall once.

Please only do this if you have spent the rank points in the appropriate siege mastery track. You're playing with other people, and it's selfish to slow down their progress if there's someone trained who can use the siege and take down the wall/door more quickly.

While many took advantage of the increased rewards of the old Edge of the Mist System to jump ahead in rank (often going for ultimate dominator), many of us stood back and refused to play in it because we weren't a fan of k-trains and higher ranks get focused more in engagements. However now it matters>

While its true that many did use EotM, don't forget that a lot of players used the old Obsidian Sanctum farm, back in the day I seen several streamers on twitch farming in here, 3 zergs mass killing each other, these players where going up 20-30 levels an hour with boosters, some of which today are 7k+ this is why Anet should look into WXP again,

They should reduce the WxP from capping by 50% to deter the K-Trains, and increase the WxP for killing a real player ( not an NPC ) to 50 WxP per player killed, this would incentivise actually open field battles rather than running and hiding or avoiding all combat and only K-Training,

Its seems strange that I can cap an unguarded keep for 800WxP ( say 1000 WxP when you take in NPCs ) yet at the same time I could kill 10 players and get anywhere from 100-500 WxP unless I hit the 250 WxP drops,

However Anet does seem to be paying attention to WvW more recently, so hopefully we will see some better balance after the expansion in regards to WxP because as it stands its years worth of grinding for something some people did in a few months on an old farm.

@Ok I Did It.2854 said:

While many took advantage of the increased rewards of the old Edge of the Mist System to jump ahead in rank (often going for ultimate dominator), many of us stood back and refused to play in it because we weren't a fan of k-trains and higher ranks get focused more in engagements. However now it matters>

While its true that many did use EotM, don't forget that a lot of players used the old Obsidian Sanctum farm, back in the day I seen several streamers on twitch farming in here, 3 zergs mass killing each other, these players where going up 20-30 levels an hour with boosters, some of which today are 7k+ this is why Anet should look into WXP again,

They should reduce the WxP from capping by 50% to deter the K-Trains, and increase the WxP for killing a real player ( not an NPC ) to 50 WxP per player killed, this would incentivise actually open field battles rather than running and hiding or avoiding all combat and only K-Training,

Its seems strange that I can cap an unguarded keep for 800WxP ( say 1000 WxP when you take in NPCs ) yet at the same time I could kill 10 players and get anywhere from 100-500 WxP unless I hit the 250 WxP drops,

However Anet does seem to be paying attention to WvW more recently, so hopefully we will see some better balance after the expansion in regards to WxP because as it stands its years worth of grinding for something some people did in a few months on an old farm.

They should absolutely not do this, as the main point of WVW is the tower gameplay, not the pvp fights. I dont know how people understand it to be anything but this, youre not going to win by just killing people.

@novaspire.9801 said:

They should absolutely not do this, as the main point of WVW is the tower gameplay, not the pvp fights. I dont know how people understand it to be anything but this, youre not going to win by just killing people.

is wvw fights, capture and defend? yes. all three i think. not just one or the other.

but if fights make players happy, and playing wvw. why not? :)

@novaspire.9801 said:

The entire complaint about EotM was that people used it as a K-Train, that's what WvW is turning into, 1 big K-Train, you win in WvW by holding towers/keeps etc, but that is per tick, you get war score directly added as you kill other players, so YES 100% killing other players is what helps you get the win, you can easily outstrip that tick rate of a tower by destroying an enemy zerg over and over, the problem is, that it is not profitable to do so in the terms of WxP, ( also general loot in WvW sucks ) like I stated it is far easier to take an undefended keep/tower than it is to kill 40 players ( depending on server etc )

If Anet lowered the WxP for capping, and upped the WxP reward for killing enemy players you would see far less of this, K-Training, and hiding in tower, as it stands most of the time it turns into sprint wars, the fastest zerg wins, by running away.

All Anet have to do is put a reason for players to fight open field and they will, until that changes WvW will remain mostly 1 big K-Train.

This is like the introduction to an actual guide....

-You should be listing alll the wxep buffs needed to maximize, this should be the focal point of your guide.-And your argument for taking foood is that you do more damage and kill faster.....? Well then shouldn't you be advising for damage food specifically? What damage foods would you suggest? And if damage is what makes more wexp....shouldn't there be a section on what kind of builds you 'should' be running..? Aka as much glass as you can handle? Yet you simply defer to meta battle....which you will find a couple good builds that do this, but it is 90% zerg buster builds focused on maximizing all stats.....and you don't maximize by going glass. There should be mention on how to navigate meta battles and what it is specifically designed for, a disclaimer basically.

I could go on and on......lets not.

Archived