So.....all my posts are essentially lost right?

eduardo.1436

I don't think it's that hard to review your posts and pick out the threads important to you.

My bigger concern is that there are some useful posts from developers illustrating why they made certain decisions or clarifying plans and many of us have used those as references. I can save the quotes, but it would be better for the source material to be saved, too :/

Everyone is starting over from scratch on the new forum. In some ways it's good because a lot of stuff was really out of date, but it does risk good information and fun discussions being lost.

But as other people have said if there's anything you think is worth keeping/restarting you can post it here. And if you just want to remember it you can save a copy for yourself.

I'm a bit surprised that I haven't found anything of mine I want to keep. I've got a lot of great memories from the old forum, but I can keep the memories without the actual topics (which is good because I've also got great memories of other forums which were deleted without notice). I did consider advice posts but decided I'd rather re-write them to tailor them to the OP.

This is a medium disaster for me. I used several posts in the old forum (from myself and others) for quotes and stuff. And as Illconceived Was Na pointed out, all the important Dev intel will be gone. All I can do is a run down this evening, grab as much as I can and create some sort of backup. Should make at least a screenshot of the Dev posts. What I do not know yet, is where to save that. I do own a personal forum, which I use as an extended notebook ... maybe I could use that. On the other hand, do I have to ask the original writers if I am allowed to save their "work"?

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:This is a medium disaster for me. I used several posts in the old forum (from myself and others) for quotes and stuff. And as Illconceived Was Na pointed out, all the important Dev intel will be gone. All I can do is a run down this evening, grab as much as I can and create some sort of backup. Should make at least a screenshot of the Dev posts. What I do not know yet, is where to save that. I do own a personal forum, which I use as an extended notebook ... maybe I could use that. On the other hand, do I have to ask the original writers if I am allowed to save their "work"?

I don't see any reason you'd need to ask their permission to save it. It's a public post on a forum - anyone is able to see it (even people who don't have an account can read the forum) and anyone could have saved those posts at any time.

Of course if you're going to re-post it somewhere you should credit the original poster rather than pretending it was your own idea, but if anything screenshots or copying and pasting it now would help with that.

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:This is a medium disaster for me. I used several posts in the old forum (from myself and others) for quotes and stuff. And as Illconceived Was Na pointed out, all the important Dev intel will be gone. All I can do is a run down this evening, grab as much as I can and create some sort of backup. Should make at least a screenshot of the Dev posts. What I do not know yet, is where to save that. I do own a personal forum, which I use as an extended notebook ... maybe I could use that. On the other hand, do I have to ask the original writers if I am allowed to save their "work"?

I wouldn't think so. As long as you quote them appropriately, you should be able so use their work at will.

Thank you very much. I did my scan by now, most posts saved of Chris Cleary. I am going to save the screenshot, a copy/paste version, the original account of the composer (linked) and the name of the thread, the post was used from. Sadly I cannot see the date/time, as the old forums end up listing the months/years after some time. Your answers were very helpful ^^

I know someone has used archive.org to save all the Releases threads (Gaile had actually suggested using that site to save chunks of the forums, see https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/114538/#Comment_114538 ). Which begs the question of how others can find the archived stuff later -- we may need a compilation thread in these forums of links to archives of the old forums. Or if there is a way to easily spot all the GW2 forum stuff at the archive site, someone will need to tell the rest of us how :)

For the date/time, I think if you mouse over the "1 year ago" bit it should give you a more specific time frame, though I don't know if that will work with an archived copy.

My sadness goes to the posts containing images. I don't know that any of my text chatter contains wisdom for the ages, but I did occasionally do sets of images such as mix and match town clothes, obsolete loading screen art, etc. And my fave "why we need sittable chairs" image was crucial to the point of that thread. I loved perusing the threads dedicated to showing off character looks -- see the stickies in each profession subforum, or the only-mix-and-match thread. I have no idea if threads like that will survive archiving with their thumbnail links to bigger images intact, given that the images are all hosted on the ANet server that is getting axed in a month.

Anyway, try using that archive site. It might be easier than manually pulling all the info you mention.

The date/time stuff works, big thanks!

That archive.org looks ... complicated. They are about to delete more than four years of history, they are not going to save the important stuff themselves. But they tell us how we should save the stuff we like to keep. That is already twice the work now. For the priory!

I wanted to put the link in my signature, but we do not have signatures, yet ^^.

You can manually archive your own posts via Archive.org. Downside is that you will do this for every page individually.

To do so, go to the archived forum and browse from here to your posts.https://web.archive.org/web/20170914083730/https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forumWhen Archive.org finds pages that have not been saved yet (which will be many) you can click to save it now. I already saved some threads here and anyone is welcome to help archiving as many threads as we want.

When you want to save YOUR thread(s), browse to one thread where you posted, then click your name, then click "See all messages by ..." and open the threads from there.

Archived