Discussion on Policy: Dual or Multi-Boxing.

System

@"TallBarr.2184" said:Gaile, was the reason for flat out not allowing multiboxing in wvw beaquse of people grieving with alt accounts, pulling enemy tactivators. There was legitimate ways to multibox in www also, scouting for your own server for example. How was the decision made to not allow it at all rather than handle each case individually. If grieving was the problem why not forbid multiboxing in wvw if the alts are not on the same server.

Also while you are here, what is anets interpretation on the word "actively" its used alot in the policies so i would like you to help clarify it.

Thanks

Scouting for your own server does provide a (mostly slightly) unfair advantage.

If your server cannot provide you scouts, then that is a server issue.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@"TallBarr.2184" said:Gaile, was the reason for flat out not allowing multiboxing in wvw beaquse of people grieving with alt accounts, pulling enemy tactivators. There was legitimate ways to multibox in www also, scouting for your own server for example. How was the decision made to not allow it at all rather than handle each case individually. If grieving was the problem why not forbid multiboxing in wvw if the alts are not on the same server.

Also while you are here, what is anets interpretation on the word "actively" its used alot in the policies so i would like you to help clarify it.

Thanks

Scouting for your own server does provide a (mostly
slightly
) unfair advantage.

How is it an unfair advantage if its available to everyone, anyone who invests in a second account can do it. All advantages are unfair then, some builds from hot and pof are better than core, does that mean those players get unfair advantage also? they invested in expansion -> better builds

@TallBarr.2184 said:

@TallBarr.2184 said:Gaile, was the reason for flat out not allowing multiboxing in wvw beaquse of people grieving with alt accounts, pulling enemy tactivators. There was legitimate ways to multibox in www also, scouting for your own server for example. How was the decision made to not allow it at all rather than handle each case individually. If grieving was the problem why not forbid multiboxing in wvw if the alts are not on the same server.

Thanks

Scouting for your own server does provide a (mostly
slightly
) unfair advantage.

How is it an unfair advantage if its available to everyone, anyone who invests in a second account can do it. All advantages are unfair then, some builds from hot and pof are better than core, does that mean those players get unfair advantage also? they invested in expansion -> better builds

Justifications and rationalizations. By your rationalization, if you own 15 walled structures you should be able to post an account in each.

Tap another player to do it. Or scout the normal way: check. As in run.

• 7 months later...

Any possibility you could update the rules about multiboxing in world vs world. As of now you are not allowed to multibox in wvw at all. My sugegstion is you allow multiboxing if your accounts are on the same server. Multiboxing in pvp is forbidden, which is understandable, you could not possibly control multiple accounts in a structured pvp setting and do your best. Multiboxing is allowed in custom arenas beacuse its not competive play and the person who makes the arena decides the rules. Scouting in wvw is a legitimate way to play the game.

If they are on the same server you cant deliberatetly sabotage for the opposing servers or spy for the commander on the opposing team. Playing wvw on seperate servers at the same time will still be forbidden.

By having multiple accounts on 1 server you could play in the zerg and have another sit in a objective and scout. Scouting in wvw is a legitimate way of playing the game and its frowned upon by the wvw community, its really boring and not many people do it.

I suggest:

1. Allow multibox if all accounts is on the same server
  2. You must be responsive on all accounts if any GM messages you.
  3. Try not to be on a border that is full with multiple accounts
  4. Cant just stay at a spawn, must be in a objective scouting

Positives:

1. Peoples experience is not negatively impacted
  2. Scouting is a legitimate way to play
  3. People would pay for server transfer

Hope Anet can consider this.

Regards,Reformed

• 2 months later...

plea to Anet to change the multiboxing policy for wvw and allow it in EOTM (edge of the mists) only or atleast in obsidian sanctum. EOTM and Obsidian sanctum does not affect the warscore in wvw and kills in obsidian sanctum does not reward loot on enemy kill. These areas are deserted and work as a playground, let us have fun in them.

To completely forbidding play in an gamemode in its entirety is not the right way to go. Especially when there are legitimate ways of playing in those gamemodes.

Hope whoever is in charge of policies can imagine to change this policy for the better.

http://prntscr.com/pvvgpu

This is what edge of the mists looks like 2 hours into its matchup, the entire map was red when i got there and the towers has not even been taken within 2 hours of the matchup. This gamemode within wvw is deserted. I saw 1 merely player when i ran across the entire map from ym spawn. Why am i not allowed to try and do my tower daily in here with my alts when the map is deserted, it doesnt affect other players negatively whatsoever, if anything the enemies would be happy so they could recap an objective.

The amount of reward points you get in edge of the mists is heavily reduced, you dont get "pips" to progress your tickets.

Doing dailies with your alts is allowed in custom arenas, to get your dailies, let us get our wvw dailies in edge of the mists if we want to. Dont shut us off an entire gamemode in its entirety if it doesnt negatively affect the other players.

This is what edge of the mists looks like 3 hours in http://prntscr.com/pvvlc9

The only reason i see why multiboxing would be forbidden in real "wvw" is if people spied on the enemy commanders having a seperate character on the enemy server. This could be easily prevented by forbidding having a character on a enemy team at the same time. This makes sense. It doesnt make sense to forbid it if the characters are on the same server.

Hope to hear back from someone in charge of this.

• 3 weeks later...

Change the multiboxing rules for wvw and allow it if the characters are on the same server. That way people cant spy on the opposite servers.

There were legitimate ways to multibox in wvw, like scout for your server while following the commander.

By forbidding it completely people cant do their guild missions for their personal guilds.

Cant do the dailies.

Cant enjoy the gamemode to the fullest.

Allowing multiboxing if all characters are on the same server is not detrimental to the gamemode or the opposite team. A solo player have a higher chance of killing a multiboxer.

• 3 months later...

This is what EOTM map looks like any given time of the day http://prntscr.com/rlqez5 its deserted. Even 1 of the objectives has been captured and remain neutral with only 17 minutes left on a 3 hour matchup. Why am i not allowed to do my dailies or just run around and have fun on a map that is deserted with em and my alternative accounts.

If anything whatever opposition is on the map will be happy there is something to recapture.

There are legitimate ways you cna multibox in without being useless or give an unfair advantage yet its flat out forbidden with no exceptions.

My feeling is wvw got caught in the decision to forbid multiboxing in pvp in the recent policy update regarding multiboxing. You cant possibly play preoperly in pvp against 5 other players other then to farm loot. But this is not the case for wvw, in wvw you can capture structures, its different then fighting other players that will destroy you in a fight.

My proposal is to allow multiboxing in wvw if:

1. All accounts are on the same server - this way you cant grive the opposing team ro give u unfair advantages.
  2. All accounts must be active, either fight or scout.
  3. Guideliens for other gamemodes remain - must be responsive, all accounts controlled seperately etc.

Hello,

About 1 year ago Gaile Gray who no longer is at ANet updated the guidelines regarding some grey areas in the game, lfg selling and multiboxing policies. One of the major changes that came with this update was the prohibition of multiboxing in ALL competetive enviroments, with the only exception being hotjoin matches to do your dailies in. This means you are not allowed to multibox in normal pvp and world vs world.

Multiboxing in pvp had been a problem prior to this change, teams with multiple accounts would team up for tournaments and just afk. This would give them participation rewards such as gold coin. This is of course not healthy for the game and everyone praised this change.

While prohibiting multiboxing in pvp makes sense, multiboxing in world vs world was also forbidden. This is unfortunate and should have not been implemented the way it was. There are legitimate ways of multiboxing in world vs world that does not ruin the experience for other players or makes you absolutely useless to your teammates, like in pvp.

Multiboxing in world vs world should be allowed if you abide by the already existing rules about multiboxing and my proposed updated rule:

1. Accounts must be on the same server (this way you cant grriefe the opposing teams)

Having characters on your enemies team gives you an unfair advantage. Imagine this scenario, you are commanding and you have a account on the opposite team, now you can see their every movement. This is an unfair advantage and would not happen if all accounts are on the same server.

Legitimate ways of multiboxing in world vs world is scouting your allied objectives with multiple accounts and trying to take objectives. A multiboxer will never be as swift or good in combat as a solo player. A solo player will always have the advantage in a fight against a multibóxer. Scouting in world vs world is a legitimate way of playing but is something not many people like to do. Trying to take structures with multiple accounts is a challenge in itself but if its t0 you have a small chance of taking it.

Edge of the mists. Edge of the mists is an absolute deserted map, you can run through the entire map and not find a single soul. Objectives usually remain neutral for the entirety of the matchup. Why am i not allowed to try and do my dailies or try and capture a tower when it affects no ones game experience. http://prntscr.com/roxpk9

Pvp and world vs world are not the same gamemodes, they should not be treated the same way only because they are competetive.

I have spoken to support about decisions regarding policies but they direct me to the developers at ANet, so I hope some ANet developer see this and can maybe reevaluate their policy.

Thank you

• 5 months later...

Make multiboxing allowed in Edge of the Mists

Edge of the Mists is deserted to the point where you can run across the entire map and not see a fellow player. Allow multiboxing in there so multiboxers can have some fun in a wvw setting.

1. Edge of the mists got no "pips" and reduced reward track points
  2. Eotm got no shared participation
  3. Eotm is deserted, flipping a deserted maps keep for a daily wont negatively impact other players
  4. Eotm does not affect "real" world vs world

Make Eotm fun again and allow multiboxing!

Hope a dev reads this

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...