Change to Stealth for WvW/PvP Suggestion

Kylden Ar.3724

I'm curious if there is the "predator cloak" visual tell if it is possible to create a third party overlay for players to highlight stealthed targets brightly that couldn't be tracked by Anet? I'm a complete layman here so someone please tell me if this kind of thing would/wouldn't be possible.

If not then sure I'd be in favour of it - maybe the outline disappears completely when not moving and becomes more visible the faster you move?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Curunen.8729" said:I'm curious if there is the "predator cloak" visual tell if it is possible to create a third party overlay for players to highlight stealthed targets brightly that couldn't be tracked by Anet? I'm a complete layman here so someone please tell me if this kind of thing would/wouldn't be possible.

If not then sure I'd be in favour of it - maybe the outline disappears completely when not moving and becomes more visible the faster you move?

i am pretty sure if the client does know the exact position of a stealthed player, there is a way to make it visible in whatever fashion you want. even if it is just 'predator cloak' it has the information about the position.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@"Curunen.8729" said:I'm curious if there is the "predator cloak" visual tell if it is possible to create a third party overlay for players to highlight stealthed targets brightly that couldn't be tracked by Anet? I'm a complete layman here so someone please tell me if this kind of thing would/wouldn't be possible.

i am pretty sure if the client does know the exact position of a stealthed player, there is a way to make it visible in whatever fashion you want. even if it is just 'predator cloak' it has the information about the position.

Hmm, that would be a problem then unless there was a way to prevent players from exploiting this.

The Primary issue with stealth is players want fights to be on THEIR terms, and stealth takes that away from them.The primary directive for a thief is to scare the kitten out of people. Literally, thats the entire playstyle. You stealth, hit them hard, stealth again, so they panic and waste all their defensive cooldowns to where they're an easy target. The ALTERNATIVE is to run endurance thief, evade their attacks, and punish openings in their defense with high damage abilities.

1. Working around stealth isn't something that can be fixed by tweaking numbers.
  2. Stealth is a core mechanic in controlling fights
  3. Stealth is a mind game between playersIf you can't, or are afraid of stealth because its an "unfair mechanic" feel free to play a thief and get laser beamed to death by a mesmer/pew pew ranger because of channeled abilities. IE YOU WILL DIE. You took away our burst damage. Fine, now you want to take away our stealth? Man get outta here. lolDon't even BRING UP DE because without stealth its literally a sitting duck that has no survivability.

PS I don't play DE.

@Heibi.4251 said:Add to stealth changes -

1. While in stealth the character moves at walk speed. You can't be stealthy while running around at top speed.
  2. If you dodge in stealth you are revealed.
  3. All stealth skills get a cool-down comparable to what everyone else's main gimmicks have. Like 15-30 seconds for stealth skill cool-downs.
  4. As soon as you are revealed you can't stealth for 15 seconds.
  5. You can't stealth in combat - makes no sense to be able to in the first place. You can use the blinding ability of course. But it doesn't stealth you. Instead it gives a miss chance.
  6. No spiking while stealthed. Let's be clear here - you are raising your kittening hand in the air and claiming someone's soul as your own as you bring the grim reaper down on them. There's no way that is stealthy.
  7. All traps and wells and marks are activated and reveal you if you go through them. While any of the conditions are on you you can't stealth. Blood trails and the like kind of give you away.

There- now stealth is what stealth should have been all along.

LMAO remove my post all cus i said im hoping hes a troll and thinking his suggestions are hilarious but keep this junk and suddenly 2 lines from his post being removed where he stated stealth players are mediocre and thieves never having received nerfs but instead you remove my post entirely which wasnt insulting at all ? .....in..fucking...credible.

Aaaand removal numbero two !

Since I'm not going to respond to a post that may be removed - I'm am totally serious about changing stealth. My points were to the extreme. There's always a middle ground to fix it. Mine were meant as the way to make it more in line with other games I've played. After years of watching the stealth play of thieves it's clear that the mechanic needs fixing. At least to someone who has no vested interest in paying a thief.

It's amazing how certain people assume that someone who proposes massive changes like mine is can't handle thieves. I have no fear of thieves since I usually find and take them down. The thieves who solely rely on stealth are usually the ones that go down the quickest once I go after them. They have no idea what to do if they don't one shot someone other than try to run. If they played without stealth and learned to fight first, they would discover that they don't need stealth as much anymore like some of the players I run with in WvW. They don't even use stealth or need it.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:The problem is, no trade offs were offered. All that was offered was essentially nerfs.

The changes proposed were not minor. They were extreme. So, what buffs would be given to their damage or mobility?

That part is up to the middle ground I'm talking about. I'm only offering the changes to make stealth not so broken. I didn't say to nerf the damage or other skills. That's why the negative responses that only laugh at my points do nothing to advance us to what should be done. They focus on what they dislike about my suggestions instead of offering anything constructive.

@"Strider Pj.2193" said:The changes that were offered do not make it less broken. They break thief.

Thief is built around stealth. Without it, all you have is a slack warrior.

That's why I said "middle ground" needs to be found. My take on what stealth should be is different from someone who likes running 100mph while invisible and being able to constantly strike someone while invisible without risk. I believe stealth and in particular thieves should actually involve SNEAKING not being invisible all the time without any risks. Sneaking involves being quiet and going slow.

@Heibi.4251 said:The thieves who solely rely on stealth are usually the ones that go down the quickest once I go after them. They have no idea what to do if they don't one shot someone other than try to run. If they played without stealth and learned to fight first, they would discover that they don't need stealth as much anymore like some of the players I run with in WvW. They don't even use stealth or need it.

a thief with a build that 'solely relies on stealth' unsually has most of his build based on stealth. so obviously if they play without utilizing stealth on such a build they will appear very weak. if your allies you run with do not build for utilizing stealth they have room for other tools that they might use and will be much stronger in a fight without stealth. that has nothing to do with the 'stealthy thieves' inability to fight visible, he just not build for it. thats like asking a warrior with only melee weapons to be good in a range fight.

Archived