So to the people that say the playing field has been "evened", i have a question.

Anput.4620

@Anput.4620 said:

It is a sandbox mode, you
can
do whatever you want, there is no reward for winning either, i don't like PvP because i play solo, i also don't like objective-based gameplay when playing solo. I play MOBA's for that.

There is a specific set of rules to this game mode, it is NOT a sandbox. Sandbox games are large scale maps where you can go anywhere and do almost anything. GTA, Watch Dogs, Red Dead Redemption are sandbox games. WvW is an objective based PvPvE war mode. I think the closest example of WvW is more like WoW's Battlegrounds than a sandbox game.

I've done PvP Solo.... but if you hate it's because you hate losing more so than the fights (which also tells us more of why you hate mounts in WvW).

Sorry, it's gonna sound harsh, but if you can't adapt to something being added to the game... maybe it's time to move on? Or at least take a break for a while.

There are no rules, you aren't forced to participate in any specific way.

That doesn't make sense. Clearly, Anet thinks otherwise ... they made some changes that have a SIGNIFICANT impact on how you participate. Otherwise you wouldn't be complaining now would you?

But nothing is forced still, these changes also came after 6 years showing that this is just a cashgrab to sell skins to people and get casuals in, it isn't about the gamemode itself but an abrubt decission to bring in more casuals to sell kitten to.

So you are saying you AREN'T forced from playing your preferred style in WVW? So what are you complaining about then?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Obtena.7952 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:As ANet has announced their plans to add a skill to dismount other players to the warclaw, I think it's safe to say that their intention was not to allow the current degree of freedom to players wandering the battlegrounds of WvW.

I'm a solo roamer and I really love the warclaw, but I look forward to this dismount skill. While I don't mind the way things are currently (I'm not particularly upset about not being able to fight those players who don't want to fight!), I also see no reason why players need to be virtually immune to being pulled into combat in WvW. It seems to me that for zerglings rushing back to their zerg, increased movement speed is enough of a boon on its own. It seems to me that a dismount skill brings with it more positives than negatives.

I'm not against any dismount skill ... I just don't think what was happening prior to the introduction of the mount is appropriate.

How wasn't it appropriate for a world pvp mode? Everyone could play the game just fine.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Anput.4620 said:This already tells me you have zero knowledge on how DE works because that is not how you oneshot someone, a DE tried that to me the other day and i killed them 2 times, third time they gave up and i let them run away. DE's aren't hard to kill or catch, DD's are. Please show me a rifle DE oneshotting someone with a single ability from 1500 range without prior setup/malice gain.

Which has nothing to do with the thread mind you ...

It does, because you tell me these DE's oneshot you, even though you are a PvE player that has only recently started posting in these forums, you don't know jack yet claim every class can just oneshot you from stealth. Last time a DE hit my weaver it hit me for 50% of my HP and i condid them to death.

The thread has nothing to do with DE skills in WVW. It's about you complaining that Anet is directing you out of a certain style of play. Jeez, you don't even know what your thread is about.

Why derail the thread talking about easy oneshot kills from stealth then? Please leave if you can't stay on topic, especially if you spread misinformation like this.

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:

These people weren't sick of the game, they played it everyday and had fun, i haven't seen a roamer that focuses on fights that likes the mount yet.

Then that's their problem, WvW isn't just about fights, as much as you want it to be. WvW is lots of things, PvP... with PvE elements, tactical scouting. Small scale fights might be fun for you but in the grand scheme of WvW, pretty irrelevent.

No, but you are trying to say all roamers hate mounts and I told you you were wrong

I said fight focused roamers. I am not talking about the core rangers spamming 1 vs a camp.

Can you name 1 good open world PvP game with a mechanic like this? For example, the only BR game i know with mounts instadismounts you when hit, the mount has zero evades and a cast time.

I don't think most open world PvP games even have mounts, agressing is also always rewarded.

WvW is a sandbox mode, winning gives nothing. Restricting what people can and can't do is just bad. Why does it seem like the pro mount people just want to player vs door? The GvG blob people also don't use mounts in their fights.

It's not a sandbox mode, as you can't do anything you want. This isn't GTA online. Also, fight focused roamers, no wonder you aren't having fun.... if that's all you do then what's the point of WvW for you, could just play PvP (since while objective based has TONS of fights)

Battle Royale games and WvW are two different genres, using one as an example over the other doesn't help your case.

can
do whatever you want, there is no reward for winning either, i don't like PvP because i play solo, i also don't like objective-based gameplay when playing solo. I play MOBA's for that.

I can open a locked box with a sledgehammer, but that doesn't mean there's not an easier way to do it.

@"coro.3176" said:I propose a challenge to anyone who thinks dismounts are in a good state right now:
  • we both start mounted outside a southern tower in one of the borderlands
  • we both start at the same spot, within 100 range of each other.
  • If I can make it to the other southern tower, I win. If you manage to dismount me and catch up, you win.
  • use any class except soulbeast

sound good?

*I say "dismount and catch up" because I don't think it counts if you dismount with condi, but the other player is 5000 units away from you by the time they actually are dismounted. Then they just cleanse to break combat and remount.

We have to be careful here. If Anet's intention is exactly what has been delivered, then there isn't anything 'good' or 'bad' state. It's what is intended. If it's not exact, we know Anet will change it with hopes it's closer to what they intended. What we think as players is 'good' or 'bad' is completely irrelevant, because we don't know the intentions, or if we do, they are so vague and open to interpretation in most cases.

For all we know, in that scenario, Anet is sitting there and saying "Yes, exactly, that's what we want mounts to do for players" and it's not an unreasonable thing they would think that, given the way the mount is designed and what is necessary for players to interact with it.

Completely speculation here but ... I don't think Anet wants people to have 1 vs. 1 or 1 vs X encounters in transit in WvW. I can only guess it's because it's related to the spirit or theme of what WvW is about.

If what is intended is kitten design from a open world PvP game viewpoint then it is still kitten even though intended?

Spirit or theme? WvW is literally a sanbox mode where winning doesn't get you jack, heck, it used to give nothing and only cost a long time ago.

Why would they not want that? Any MMO open world PvP mode has it, also, there is a reason there are smaller objectives to take too, i am sure Anet didn't intend camps to be taken by 40 people. You can also have both playstyles be viable, like before.

I am sure the spirit of WvW is player versus player combat, no doubt about that.

Unpopular opinion; WvW is about capturing and holding objectives. It's literally the entire point of the mode, and servers are ranked on their ability to do just that. Yes, there's a big PvP aspect, but if you ignore objectives entirely you're quite frankly doing it wrong.

Just like MOBA's are about taking objectives and defeating the enemies base, but what do people play those games for? The PvP or because they like to aim at a objective and attack it a la PvD?

Pretty sure I won't make many friends in any MOBA if I play a jungler and just chase after kills like an idiot and ignore my team's progress in the lanes. The objectives might be a means to an end to you, but they are what both games are built around, as neither GW2 or MOBA's are battle royale games.

In MOBA's i can do the objectives WHILE being a jungler chasing around kills all game too! That is why i like those. I could take camps and sentries while also doing the chasing and dwindling reinforcements before, now i can't. If i "go and look" for PvP at said objectives i just get instadowned by a group of 10.

Well, it sounds like you need better tactics or escapes then really. Before the patch I was playing a tanky S/P acro deadeye, that build was hit hard by the combo of the rifle stealth nerf and mounts since now everything can escape before I can do decent damage and I don't have the stealth or evades necessary to survive focus anymore. I changed builds back to my condi build from HoT as it allows me to dismount players reliably and it copes with outnumbered fights much better in the present state of the game, and I carried on playing more or less the same way as before.

How can i more or so play the same way on my warrior, please elaborate, i really miss playing her,

@Obtena.7952 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:As ANet has announced their plans to add a skill to dismount other players to the warclaw, I think it's safe to say that their intention was not to allow the current degree of freedom to players wandering the battlegrounds of WvW.

I'm a solo roamer and I really love the warclaw, but I look forward to this dismount skill. While I don't mind the way things are currently (I'm not particularly upset about not being able to fight those players who don't want to fight!), I also see no reason why players need to be virtually immune to being pulled into combat in WvW. It seems to me that for zerglings rushing back to their zerg, increased movement speed is enough of a boon on its own. It seems to me that a dismount skill brings with it more positives than negatives.

I'm not against any dismount skill ... I just don't think what was happening prior to the introduction of the mount is appropriate.

Oh, for sure there was (and is) a lot of overblown hysteria. For my part, I was skeptical of the mount, but as soon as I got a chance to play with it I changed my mind. It's a great addition for a solo roamer like me. I get where I'm going quicker and it gives me another tool for escaping besides!

@Anput.4620 said:

How wasn't it appropriate for a world pvp mode? Everyone could play the game just fine.

I already gave you my speculation on how it wasn't appropriate. Maybe you should pay some attention. Again, Anet is making changes to direct play and I suspect it's because they think it's better for the game in the long term. I don't see a problem with changes that direct play towards the objectives of the game mode ... like stealth changes and mounts do for WvW. I guess that's far too abstract for you.

@Karnasis.6892 said:

As ANet has announced their plans to add a skill to dismount other players to the warclaw, I think it's safe to say that their intention was not to allow the current degree of freedom to players wandering the battlegrounds of WvW.

I've come around on the dismount skill, but 1200 range is ludicrous. 600... or maybe 800 at most would be more ideal. At least then if you are a melee then you aren't at a huge disadvantage when dismounted vs ranged.

How would a mount get close to another mount, especially in enemy territory to dismount them, and how do you hit that when you have nothing else to bait the dodges with.

This would promote not going into enemy territory and being on the offense, it also wouldn't do anything if not undodgable.

@Obtena.7952 said:

can

There is a specific set of rules to this game mode, it is NOT a sandbox. Sandbox games are large scale maps where you can go anywhere and do almost anything. GTA, Watch Dogs, Red Dead Redemption are sandbox games. WvW is an objective based PvPvE war mode. I think the closest example of WvW is more like WoW's Battlegrounds than a sandbox game.

I've done PvP Solo.... but if you hate it's because you hate losing more so than the fights (which also tells us more of why you hate mounts in WvW).

Sorry, it's gonna sound harsh, but if you can't adapt to something being added to the game... maybe it's time to move on? Or at least take a break for a while.

There are no rules, you aren't forced to participate in any specific way.

That doesn't make sense. Clearly, Anet thinks otherwise ... they made some changes that have a SIGNIFICANT impact on how you participate. Otherwise you wouldn't be complaining now would you?

But nothing is forced still, these changes also came after 6 years showing that this is just a cashgrab to sell skins to people and get casuals in, it isn't about the gamemode itself but an abrubt decission to bring in more casuals to sell kitten to.

So you are saying you AREN'T forced from playing your preferred style in WVW? So what are you complaining about then?

No, but it is made literally unplayable by mechanics, not rulesets.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@Voltekka.2375 said:Strange. I play scourge and i cant find the permaevade button, the 15k+ backstabs out of permastealth, or the 1800 attack range, or the permasustain on my character. Please fix.Classes are good at something. Others at zerging, others excel at roaming. However, if you have issues killing a scourge as a thief or ranger, buddy, I have news for you...

But mounts made those useless, so i heard the field has been evened yet those classes can't suddenly do well in zergs while every slow class can now avoid any fight at will for free. So if roaming is dead and unviable and Zerg is the only thing now then that makes those other classes very bad, yet i hear everyone say things are fair now?

I literally can't roam except if i pick ranger with full zerk with a longbow, then i can be just little under half as effective as before, but my other specs can't do anything. So how do i use my Thieves in the TRUE WVW PLAYSTYLE of spamming AoE vs mobs when i have no aoe :/

@Voltekka.2375 said:Strange. I play scourge and i cant find the permaevade button, the 15k+ backstabs out of permastealth, or the 1800 attack range, or the permasustain on my character. Please fix.Classes are good at something. Others at zerging, others excel at roaming. However, if you have issues killing a scourge as a thief or ranger, buddy, I have news for you...

Maybe not, but you do get most of the benefits of the daredevil elite spec with warclaw.

Your point that classes are good at different things is correct, but there's a lot of issues at the moment with new content granting skills that bleed into another profession's defined strengths with little drawback, making the other profession worth less overall as a result. Mobility and mounts is one example, new sneak gyro and shadow refuge would be another. Or, just granting too much in general, to the exclusion of everything else; PvE chrono comes to mind here.

If the thing you are good at has been gutted/made unplayable you might aswell be good at nothing.

I don't know what game you're playing, but I see daredevil, deadeye and even plenty of core thief builds everywhere I go when roaming. Daredevil especially is practically unkillable and uncatchable. If you're struggling, it isn't the class in this case. Grab a shortbow and l2p, bud.

That's the problem ... he's not adapting to the game. He's simply concluded mounts are bad and doesn't know a thing about how to interact with them in the game.

How does a warrior adapt to this change, or a sword weaver? Please elaborate your dismounting tactics here.

Maybe they can't ... and there isn't a problem with that. It's not a problem that every class doesn't have good access to every thing. That's why there are things called teams and people in them doing something called 'teamwork'. You should try it. It's amazing. It's how good players do things.

That is a problem because that means it is overpowered and unbalanced.

No, that's never been the case. There are lots of classes that can't do many things ... that doesn't mean they are underpowered or under balanced at all. The kind of thinking you exhibit doesn't make sense because at the end of the day, you have to make choices for ONE BUILD, so even if a class is good at something, you might not choose to do that thing. In short, you couldn't be more wrong about the abilities classes should have and how that translates into game balance.

Even if Class X was good at dismounting ... that doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that the person playing it will make a dismounting build. That's precisely the reason why every class DOESN'T need to have a way to adapt to mounts. If you want to dismount players, make good choices to do so if that's indeed such a huge thing for how you play the game.

What I really think here is that you don't want to work for dismounting players, because you simply don't like mounts. You're one of these players that thinks if we have enough 1000 page threads about it, Anet will nerf them. At least it's entertaining ... my advice is that you better get over yourself here because mounts aren't going anywhere.

There is literally no build capable of easilly dismounting people, longbow soulbeast is the only one that has a decent chance.

My condi daredevil. Get the doom proc ready on your bar, make sure P/D is equipped for the sigils, then use the maul skill. Applies 4 bleed and 3 poison from doom, dismounts which procs geomancy and doom a second time for a total of 7 bleed and 6 poison stacks, all from the mount maul skill and sigil procs.

With those stats, poison does 163 damage per second per stack, bleed does 111 damage per second per stack. So that's 978 poison damage per second plus 777 bleed damage per second for a total of 1755 condi damage per second, which will dismount a player with 10972 health in 6.25 seconds, so 7 seconds to allow for condi damage applying in intervals of once per second. The stacks last between 11 and 14 seconds, so simply pressing one button on my build forces them to dismount and cleanse, or be knocked off by the condis. It really doesn't get much easier than that, and literally every class can do it.

So let's say, you are roaming, taking a sentry in enemy territory, you see a mounted enemy in the distance, they see you and start to turn around, now tell me how you would engage that.

Everything you said there is wrong. Anet decides how the game works, not players. You don't know who likes the mount. What any PVP focused community of any game thinks is irrelevant to GW2. What is relevant is how Anet wants the game to work. False statements do not make a compelling argument for change.

I think he's basing all judgments after his friends left the game to play Apex as opposed to actually playing WvW. For example I can used biased data to show that only one of my guildies stopped playing as he hated mounts, and went to GW1 instead lol, but everyone else likes the mounts. My running theory was that his friends were looking for an excuse to quit gw2 anyway.

Aren't you a PvE player? You ment your PvE guild? The person in my WvW guild says he has met no one pro-mounts yet, nor in my roaming guild, where many people quit. I have tried the WvW, i could get 1 fight in an evening of playing my Engie, 1 fight with my Ele, 2 with my Thief and a few with my Soulbeast, the amount of times i dismounted someone there was maybe twice in total, where both where on Soulbeast too. That is hours of playtime to get a fight.

These friends of mine loved the game, they roamed almost every day, why would they need an excuse to quit?

That's funny. I roamed all day today and had tons of fights. Odd that you could go hours with barely any. I'm going to guess you're exaggerating to make a point, but color me unconvinced.

Nope, the 1 fight i had on my weaver was a duel vs a thief for example. Also, i don't consider 5 people jumping on me to oneshot me a fight, like when the holo just ran in circles on his mount on a camp til 2 of his guildies came.

@Anput.4620 said:

Why would i hate losing? Why do you assume every roamer is bad? You are saying that what i should do is run into a group of 10 people and die? What do you even expect here? Please elaborate on what this is supposed to mean. I like to run around on my greatsword warrior and get some kills, and now that i can't do that anymore i hate losing? What? Are you telling me that anyone that doesn't run into 5-10 players to get a fight that way is bad and just hates losing?

No no, you get me all wrong. I don't assume every roamer is bad... after our conversations today I assume YOU are bad at roaming. I don't expect you to run into a zerg, but you are looking for ONLY fights, which makes you a bad roamer. A GOOD roamer should also hit objectives, possibly do some basic scouting for zergs, maybe kill a person or two or be a general nuisance to the opposing enemies. Mounts wouldn't really effect you that much if you did those things. But instead you choose to not adapt to the new style of gameplay and instead insist we nerf a mount to the ground so you can get a few more kills.

I gave you an option to get all the fights you want, but you said it's because you would be solo in the pvp maps. I've played solo in pvp, it's not as bad as you think. However I INFERRED that you don't like solo queuing in pvp becuase you hate losing, otherwise what would be the problem?

I care about skillful PvP, not pressing 1 vs a door or some mobs. Tell me, what do i gain for being a "good" roamer? I ment that i like solo smallscale fights, i don't care for teamfights in MMO's, same reason i hated WoW bg's but like 2v2 arena and world PvP.

Then WvW clearly isn't for you, since it's a Team Objective game mode. Sorry to say it, but it's true. I like small scale fights in WvW but it isn't the only aspect of the game mode and since I know that I'm willing to branch out for the sake of my team.

Hence why I said I think you'd much rather a team deathmatch style game, or I dunno... 3 friends and a copy of goldeneye for the N64. All the small scale pvp you'd ever want.

@Anput.4620 said:No, but it is made literally unplayable by mechanics, not rulesets.

Well, that's doesn't matter, as long as the Anet gets the players in the direction they want the game mode to take. If the objectives of WvW weren't enough to get people to play with them in mind, there isn't a problem with Anet forcing people's hands with mechanics.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

Oh, for sure there was (and is) a lot of overblown hysteria. For my part, I was skeptical of the mount, but as soon as I got a chance to play with it I changed my mind. It's a great addition for a solo roamer like me. I get where I'm going quicker and it gives me another tool for escaping besides!

It doesn't give you another escape tool because speed is relative.

@Obtena.7952 said:

I already gave you my speculation on how it wasn't appropriate. Maybe you should pay some attention. Again, Anet is making changes to direct play and I suspect it's because they think it's better for the game in the long term. I don't see a problem with changes that direct play towards the objectives of the game mode ... like stealth changes and mounts do for WvW. I guess that's far too abstract for you.

Quantity over quality, it is better for making more money off of the gamemode, not actually improving the game mode, which is all they care about really, otherwise we would have seem similiar changes in this direction within these 6 years.

@Anput.4620 said:

Quantity over quality, it is better for making more money off of the gamemode, not actually improving the game mode, which is all they care about really, otherwise we would have seem similiar changes in this direction within these 6 years.

Maybe ... I won't speculate further to fuel an argument. I don't have a crystal ball. Besides, even if what you say is true, you still don't think it was intended? Cash grab? OK ... I mean, this game isn't a philanthropy project ... it's a business.

What I do know ... Anet wants to provide more direction to WvW play. Mounts and other changes did that. The unhappiness of players on the fringe of the spirit of WvW is a small price to pay.

@Anput.4620 said:

Who cares if it's a cash grab, it changed the stale formula, evenm if it's only a small change. I'm thrilled it's here.

Also, they can run from me if they want in their territory. Doesn't bother me at all. But if I get the jump on them, 600 range is a non issue.

@Karnasis.6892 said:

Why would i hate losing? Why do you assume every roamer is bad? You are saying that what i should do is run into a group of 10 people and die? What do you even expect here? Please elaborate on what this is supposed to mean. I like to run around on my greatsword warrior and get some kills, and now that i can't do that anymore i hate losing? What? Are you telling me that anyone that doesn't run into 5-10 players to get a fight that way is bad and just hates losing?

No no, you get me all wrong. I don't assume every roamer is bad... after our conversations today I assume YOU are bad at roaming. I don't expect you to run into a zerg, but you are looking for ONLY fights, which makes you a bad roamer. A GOOD roamer should also hit objectives, possibly do some basic scouting for zergs, maybe kill a person or two or be a general nuisance to the opposing enemies. Mounts wouldn't really effect you that much if you did those things. But instead you choose to not adapt to the new style of gameplay and instead insist we nerf a mount to the ground so you can get a few more kills.

I gave you an option to get all the fights you want, but you said it's because you would be solo in the pvp maps. I've played solo in pvp, it's not as bad as you think. However I INFERRED that you don't like solo queuing in pvp becuase you hate losing, otherwise what would be the problem?

I care about skillful PvP, not pressing 1 vs a door or some mobs. Tell me, what do i gain for being a "good" roamer? I ment that i like solo smallscale fights, i don't care for teamfights in MMO's, same reason i hated WoW bg's but like 2v2 arena and world PvP.

Then WvW clearly isn't for you, since it's a Team Objective game mode. Sorry to say it, but it's true. I like small scale fights in WvW but it isn't the only aspect of the game mode and since I know that I'm willing to branch out for the sake of my team.

Hence why I said I think you'd much rather a team deathmatch style game, or I dunno... 3 friends and a copy of goldeneye for the N64. All the small scale pvp you'd ever want.

I asked you before: Give me such a game but in an open persistent world with MMO/Action combat and depth a la classes/specs/builds and no grind and ill be off to there.

WvW worked perfectly fine like that but the Warclaw removed it without adding any new actual functionality, it gave no new roles or playstyles or anything major players could do. There is still Zerging, but fight based roaming died, no one else but GOB farmers solo roam anyways, the people capping towers etc all stay in small groups.

@Karnasis.6892 said:

Who cares if it's a cash grab, it changed the stale formula, evenm if it's only a small change. I'm thrilled it's here.

Also, they can run from me if they want in their territory. Doesn't bother me at all. But if I get the jump on them, 600 range is a non issue.

How was the formula stale when it didn't add any new functionality to the game mode? Zerging is still necros and firebrands spamming their AoE shit, meanwhile solo roaming got killed. It didn't add jack.

The only thing that got added was the ability to press spacebar 3 times to get out of any engagement for free without cost or risk.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Maybe ... I won't speculate further to fuel an argument. I don't have a crystal ball. Besides, even if what you say is true, you still don't think it was intended? Cash grab? OK ... I mean, this game isn't a philanthropy project ... it's a business.

What I do know ... Anet wants to provide more direction to WvW play. Mounts and other changes did that.

Providing direction? You mean cater to casuals so there are more people to buy their shit even though it has shown again and again that any game that caters to casuals becomes objectively worse over time a la WoW even though remaining players because of the sheer quantity of casuals?

@Anput.4620 said:How would a mount get close to another mount, especially in enemy territory to dismount them, and how do you hit that when you have nothing else to bait the dodges with.This would promote not going into enemy territory and being on the offense, it also wouldn't do anything if not undodgable.

Have you considered..... FIGHTING OVER OBJECTIVES? Also, if your objection to ANet bringing in a dismount skill is that it might be dodgable, I think that's where I stop taking anything you say seriously.

@Anput.4620 said:How can i more or so play the same way on my warrior, please elaborate, i really miss playing her,

I'd consider trying berserker rifle greatsword again, probably with strength discipline and berserker and a focus on physical utilities. Since mounts are a thing you can pick your fights as much as anyone else which allows for easier ganks (which is pretty much what you're looking for really) and that will have the ranged damage to dismount someone in a hurry.

@Anput.4620 said:

What I do know ... Anet wants to provide more direction to WvW play. Mounts and other changes did that.

Providing direction? You mean cater to casuals so there are more people to buy their kitten even though it has shown again and again that any game that caters to casuals becomes objectively worse over time a la WoW even though remaining players because of the sheer quantity of casuals?

Yeah sure, whatever you want to call it. If that's the direction Anet wants the game to go, then your argument against it is completely irrelevant. I mean, it's completely ridiculous to complain the game caters to casuals ... it's the whole market the game has targeted since day 1.

If catering to casuals is what makes this business work, then yeah, they are going to do it, because it's a business, not an academic project or charity. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

@Anput.4620 said:

How was the formula stale when it didn't add any new functionality to the game mode? Zerging is still necros and firebrands spamming their AoE kitten, meanwhile solo roaming got killed. It didn't add jack.

The only thing that got added was the ability to press spacebar 3 times to get out of any engagement for free without cost or risk.

Well your first point is wrong, as functionality is based off the mount itself, it runs faster in allied controlled areas, slower in enemy territory (functionality changes 1 and 2). It gives you a second hp bar (or 3rd if you are base/reaper necro. Functionality change 3). It has an engage skill that also can fully kill downed players (functionality change 4). 3 dodges (change number 5). Hmm doesn't change the game mode at all... no...

Also, class balance is a separate team, if you really did WvW I think you'd know the difference lol

@Karnasis.6892 said:

How was the formula stale when it didn't add any new functionality to the game mode? Zerging is still necros and firebrands spamming their AoE kitten, meanwhile solo roaming got killed. It didn't add jack.

Well your first point is wrong, as functionality is based off the mount itself, it runs faster in allied controlled areas, slower in enemy territory (functionality changes 1 and 2). It gives you a second hp bar (or 3rd if you are base/reaper necro. Functionality change 3). It has an engage skill that also can fully kill downed players (functionality change 4). 3 dodges (change number 5). Hmm doesn't change the game mode at all... no...

Also, class balance is a separate team, if you really did WvW I think you'd know the difference lol

It doesn't change the actual act of Zerging at all, still the same old scourge FB blob, no new actual features. You still even use siege because the mount skill is useless.

I'm personally in favor of just leaving well enough alone. I get there are folks upset that mounts just make the game unfun for them, but if I'm trying to get to my zerg because I joined a rally or play session late and have to cross half the map, I'd prefer a way that I can without interruptions.

I'm all for fights but for me it's a time and place. Many many times I've been in that late join scenario and suddenly 3/4ths of the way getting to my zerg the first time and bam, thief jumps me out of no where, or a mirage, or literally anything. I've also been in situations where that happened multiple times BEFORE I've wasted 30 or 40 minutes getting to my zerg. Not being forced into combat because I have an 11k hp mount has been a Godsend. And yes I get that roaming has "died" because of mounts but roaming isn't just fights, though it's a good portion of it.

IF this goes through, I don't think 1200 range is healthy, especially if you are playing a build that isn't meant for roaming. I'd be okay if you have to get close as a risk vs reward system, if I have to get close there is a good chance I might take a hit if the opponent is faster than me or anticipating an attack. Like 600 range would be a bit more reasonable imo.

And before I get blasted, I UNDERSTAND how frustrating it is not being able to fight in a game mode designed for fighting, but the mount has made me more interested in WvW than before, as my favorite map is the ever hated DBL, but that map feels so much larger than the alpine (even if it actually isn't) that the mount just feels right there.Still not keen on a forced dismount skill however, but that's my opinion.

Your comment, saying you know and understand it is a shit mechanic but you like it and want to keep it because it is a free out of jail ticket and big advantage, own interest>balance, cool shit.

All i hear on these forums is "I want to have my cake and eat it too."

@"Anput.4620" said:

Still not keen on a forced dismount skill however, but that's my opinion.

Your comment, saying you know and understand it is a kitten mechanic but you like it and want to keep it because it is a free out of jail ticket and big advantage, own interest>balance, cool kitten.

And I'm allowed to change my opinion on the matter, I've stated afterwards that we can have a dismount skill, 1200 range is absurd though.

Also, you want your cake and eat it too, we just want different cakes.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Providing direction? You mean cater to casuals so there are more people to buy their kitten even though it has shown again and again that any game that caters to casuals becomes objectively worse over time a la WoW even though remaining players because of the sheer quantity of casuals?

Yeah sure, whatever you want to call it. If that's the direction Anet wants the game to go, then your argument against it is completely irrelevant. I mean, it's completely ridiculous to complain the game caters to casuals ... it's the whole market the game has targeted since day 1.

If catering to casuals is what makes this business work, then yeah, they are going to do it, because it's a business, not an academic project or charity. It's ridiculous to think otherwise.

If you just want to admit the game is being dumbed down because it makes more money doesn't mean that it isn't a bad thing for the game.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Anput.4620" said:All i hear on these forums is "I want to have my cake and eat it too."

Must be the echo in the room you are in.

Then where is zerg viability on thieves and rangers? Everyone should be good at their own thing changed to the only things that should exist are the things i am good at, you are not just backwards, you are completely inside out.

Oh Jear Desus! Give it up people. Every argument you try to provide will not change his mind one bit. He has clamped down hard on this one train of thought and will never let it go no matter how hard you try to convince him otherwise. What we have here, is a failure to communicate. Some men, you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week. Which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. And I don't like it any more than you men.

@Karnasis.6892 said:

@"Anput.4620" said:

Still not keen on a forced dismount skill however, but that's my opinion.

Your comment, saying you know and understand it is a kitten mechanic but you like it and want to keep it because it is a free out of jail ticket and big advantage, own interest>balance, cool kitten.

And I'm allowed to change my opinion on the matter, I've stated afterwards that we can have a dismount skill, 1200 range is absurd though.

Also, you want your cake and eat it too, we just want different cakes.

I already answered.

Then where is zerg viability on thieves and rangers? Everyone should be good at their own thing changed to the only things that should exist are the things i am good at.

The old system had no articial external factors, everyone had their cake and all styles of play where viable.

How is 1200 range absurd when there isn't even a way to catch up to mounts in enemy territory? Also, how doesn't this shit not just get dodged when they have 3 and you can bait zero? Mounts should just be nerfed to swiftness walk speed anywhere, that way people that want to prioritise dismounting can change their build accordingly, you know, strategy? Just how scourges choose to be the most broken shit in group combat since all of PoF. Heck, swiftness speed and 2 dodges and we wouldn't even need a dismount skill! A stunbreak is still a fair tradeoff for swiftness, 2 extra dodges and a barrier.

With these changes, if the CC gets removed and the HP lowered keep in mind that the mount would still be a straight free buff, so it would be worth to use it 100% of the time and still improve everyones situation from before with what it offers, utility.

Archived