Remove AoE caps so the game becomes playable

lodjur.1284

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Silly question, but say if you had 50 guys, you cast an AoE on them that affects 10, wouldn't the server have to calculate who was in range for the 50 regardless of who it decided got hit? In other words, regardless of if the skill had a cap of 10 targets or no cap, it would have to calculate distance for each opponent anyway to know who was in range of the skill. The only part it would save would be the allocation of who got hit, but it then leads to the question of if you hit a boon corrupt on 50 people as opposed to 10 would processing the extra targets take up the computer time saved by not assigning targets?

As was mentioned above, no. If you have 50 players on the field and you have a 10 man AoE, you only have to find 10 targets. If the AoE is hitting 10 people and you only looked through 25 of 50 to find those 10, you can skip the other 25, effectivly doubling search performance compared to checking everyone. Because it doesnt matter where they are, they cant get hit (until you have to check next pulse).

In practice, the gains from this would be random.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Jugglemonkey.8741 said:Silly question, but say if you had 50 guys, you cast an AoE on them that affects 10, wouldn't the server have to calculate who was in range for the 50 regardless of who it decided got hit? In other words, regardless of if the skill had a cap of 10 targets or no cap, it would have to calculate distance for each opponent anyway to know who was in range of the skill. The only part it would save would be the allocation of who got hit, but it then leads to the question of if you hit a boon corrupt on 50 people as opposed to 10 would processing the extra targets take up the computer time saved by not assigning targets?

As was mentioned above, no. If you have 50 players on the field and you have a 10 man AoE, you only have to find 10 targets. If the AoE is hitting 10 people and you only looked through 25 of 50 to find those 10, you can skip the other 25, effectivly doubling search performance compared to checking everyone. Because it doesnt matter where they are, they cant get hit (until you have to check next pulse).

In practice, the gains from this would be random.

Ah, ok. Sorry for making you repeat yourself, I obviously missed that bit ^^

There was a 15 month thread on optimization 5 years ago.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Official-state-of-skill-lag-and-server-optimizations/page/2#post3141560

As far as skills just not executing (noticed some people claiming utilities are more susceptible to this), its mostly just a race-condition as far as processing on the server. You’ll notice that your auto-attack skill seems to process more reliably than other skills. This is mostly due to the fact that we process things like auto-attack timers before player input. Obviously that sounds like a bug (and honestly now that I think about it, I want to look into doing something about it), but the reality is that under normal circumstances, the player input would process before the auto-attack timer triggers. Something you can try to verify this is disabling your auto-attack and see if your other skills become more responsive.

From someone who used to play a lot but now just looks fondly over at GW2 from a distance, the volume of AoE in general is the reason I don't find WvW fun anymore. Zerg v Zerg fights are incredibly uninteresting to me because it's just a mine field of AoE that you have to zerg through otherwise you just die instantly. If they removed the cap, even if there was suddenly 0 lag and everything ran perfectly, the game would mechanically suffer (imo).

AoE hitting everyone wouldn't be as much of a problem if AoE wasn't so insanely prevalent. As people already mentioned, conditions and boons suffer from the same supersaturation problem. It's a deeply rooted design issue at this point for those who don't find the current system fun, and it won't be fixed any time soon/ever. It's a bummer too, because GW2 probably still ranks as my #1 favorite MMO of all time. Roaming is still OKish, but it'd be far better if I could mix it up with an occasional zerg fight from time to time.

ANet really should do a cleanup, and remove about half the current aoe's, and rather make the large aoe's impactful but huge cooldowns. Instead of the current small aoe spam. Several of the aoe skills could be reworked into other types of attacks (cones, bounces, hits x targests nearby etc)

@joneirikb.7506 said:ANet really should do a cleanup, and remove about half the current aoe's, and rather make the large aoe's impactful but huge cooldowns. Instead of the current small aoe spam. Several of the aoe skills could be reworked into other types of attacks (cones, bounces, hits x targests nearby etc)Cone AoE and bouncing projectiles are probably much more complicated to calculate than simple point based ground AoE though, lol.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@joneirikb.7506 said:ANet really should do a cleanup, and remove about half the current aoe's, and rather make the large aoe's impactful but huge cooldowns. Instead of the current small aoe spam. Several of the aoe skills could be reworked into other types of attacks (cones, bounces, hits x targests nearby etc)Cone AoE and bouncing projectiles are probably much more complicated to calculate than simple point based ground AoE though, lol.

Why cone is that complicated?I can get why bounces can be more difficult, but cones ;\

@Aeolus.3615 said:

Why cone is that complicated?I can get why bounces can be more difficult, but cones ;\

The main part of that was mostly to reduce the pure AOE skills, how the solve them, I don't really care. Just so that staffscourge isn't 9 AoE's on buttons. More like 4 or 5.

Archived