Need Help to Decide between Engineer and Ranger

ancafr.9274

Could you guys point me the pros and cons(actualized), weakness and strength for both classes please? I'm looking for a main ranged and these two classes got my liking, i really enjoyed playing engineer the turrets and flamethrower are nice hehe plus the both elite specs are also nice(i really like scrapper), but i also like the ranger and the pet is nice too but both eli specs really didnt catch my liking. I'd appreciate the help. I mean for PVE content, most open world and soloing, I know both classes are great for soloing.

I'll have both(when they FINALLY make a SALE for character slot) but know I want to focus on only one.

Both are really good, both can play damage and support roles and both are medium armor so you can just pick one at random, play it as you will and if you feel a need to try the other class you can just send your ascended gear from one character to the other.If you are aiming mainly for PVE i would rather recommend Ranger as both his DPS and SUP roles are in the meta (and ranger dps has easier damage rotations). Since the recent nerfs, engineers are underperforming in terms of meta as holosmith got a massive nerf to its damage and scrapper is a good support but can't stand against a Druid (ranger).But if you want for PvP, i HIGHLY recommend engineer cus even with the upcoming nerfs from balance patches, holosmiths and scrappers are in a very comfortable place with a lot of versatility and power.

What are you planning on using the character for?

For end game like fractals and raids, ranger has a lot of versatility at the expense of needing multiple sets of gear for each build. It can be condi dps, it can be power dps, it can be a healer, it can even do a special role called hand kiting.

For engineer you can be an amazing power dps. It used to be really good condi dps but got nerfed a while back and I am unsure if it recovered since I have only payed attention to power holo. Engi has a little bit more flexibility in skills that you can easily swap out to match the situation than ranger.

Both are pretty decent in WvW. Holo are powerful solo roamers and scrappers can be great healers for a zerg. Soulbeasts are great at picking people off walls when you are sieging.

For general PvE, they are both good but personally I think ranger is better. Having a pet that can rez you it great. And the skills it has are pretty good for solo play.

Hmm I see, i play also aimming for the elite specs cuz core trait gets boring after some time and i didnt like both for ranger but for engi both are nice. As for the nerfs well I think engi has a decent dmg PVE its just more complex to make the class work but nothing really troublesome that cannot be mastered, it is a little complicated at the beginning but after you get use is very fun. I'll wait for more opinions to decide.

Can't tell for engineer (will be my next char) but I do play Ranger often in pvp, wvw (boonbeast mostly) and open world.For open world ranger is the easy mode character. But I don't say it in a bad way because it is also a lot of fun for me. You have a pet that can tank for you or offer a lot of cc and help kite so you can solo pretty much anything out there including the hardest champs. You can do incrediblee burst dmg and performs just as well at range as in melee. Simple but very effective skills. Elite specs are a bit boring though. Druid just never clicked for me. Soulbeast is nice but it is really nothing special compared to most other elites. Definitely check different weapon options as ranger has various effective combinations.

Engi for wvw and pvp.Ranger for pve.

Whichever game mode you play most is what you should go for. Atm engi isn’t a good state for pve for raids and fracs since any heal, power dps , condi dps is better then engi build performance.

In pvp and wvw ranger isn’t really that good unless your truly great in pvp. Wvw though ranger doesn’t give anything to the group and doesn’t do great damage like other classes in wvw.

Wvw, power holo, minstrel scrapper > ranger, power soulbeast, condi soulbeast, Druid

Pvp, power holo, heal scrapper > power soulbeast, Druid

Pve Druid, power soulbeast, condi sb > power holo, condi engi, heal scrapper.

Druid is not a better raw healer than scrapper however the buffs are better than scrapper for You will be more accepted into a raid or fractal as Druid rather then heal scrapper

In pve. Power soulbeast, condi soulbeast have easier rotations than holo and give more dps if you do rotation correctly and it also gives stance share to your sub.

Power holo in wvw provides massive cc to your foes, also heal turret for your sub to cleanse conditions while nuking with your holo form nukes people in dps vs soulbeast which is mostly attacking 1 person at a time unless using axe. Which would be weird to use for ranger class.

Power holo in pvp is practically the same in wvw.

Scrapper in wvw is a like the king of heals, behind the healbrand. Brings stab, gyros.

Scrapper in pvp is a tank, stack in mid cap, heal yourself and your people around you.

Druid in pvp doesn’t really have another good build besides bunker.

If you plan on playing the game for a while I’d get both classes and just play more game modes. You never know if the builds get buffed or nerfed.

• Like 1

I'm going to shamelessly direct you to Woodenpotatoes (youtube Guild Wars 2 content creator) who did a video for, in his opinion, very strong power builds per class for open world, story, dungeons, etc. (the general non instanced content).

Watch both of his videos (they are quite long) where he explains engineer (scrapper) and ranger (soulbeast). Then decide which class might appeal more to you:Engineer -

Ranger -

Yeah i decided to focus on ranger atm^(the video also helped me to decide), the mechanics are easier and enjoyable plus this 'nerf' people mention kinda scared me. I tried soulbeast yesterday and is real cool when u know how it works LOOL xD, but druid i didnt manage to active the F5 and also didnt like... Well anyway thanks for the help everyone this community is the best. When they make sale for character slot then I'll have my engineer but for now ranger will be.

@"Cyninja.2954" said:I'm going to shamelessly direct you to Woodenpotatoes (youtube Guild Wars 2 content creator) who did a video for, in his opinion, very strong power builds per class for open world, story, dungeons, etc. (the general non instanced content).

Watch both of his videos (they are quite long) where he explains engineer (scrapper) and ranger (soulbeast). Then decide which class might appeal more to you:Engineer -

Ranger -

Wish I had a PC like this guy O.o.