Communication between PvE and WvW ...

Svarty.8019

Way way back through the mists of time there was a thing that WvW players used to do in PvE.

When the home Garrison was being attacked by enemies, WvW messengers would teleport into the population centres of PvE: Lion's Arch, Divinity's Reach and call out for help!

This introduced many PvE players to WvW at it's greatest moment - the big fight, the critical moment where the main building that your team cared about and didn't want to lose - a point of pride for your team. What a great way to get new players into the game-mode!

Then Megaservers came and smeared dung all over WvW's glorious moment. You can't contact your team. When you call for help, the people who might want to help can't - they're not on your team!

So I wonder if a possible solution to this could be a special team channel that you can use in PvE? Is that a feasible thing or is it a nightmare to implement?

I have to admit, I had a small bit of hope that this might be included in alliances. There would already be a link between players that we 'may have' lost with mega-servers that could be used for cross game shout outs. But it wasn't mentioned in any threads so I have no basis for this hope, just something my mind had told me might be possible. And agree that was an awesome feature in the past, being able to make the call or respond to it, OTW!

I suspect this will be included in alliances in the sense that alliances will be predominantly made up of guilds, so people in WvW could post in their guild chat channels to get other people to come and join in. Which has the added benefit that you don't need to leave WvW to do it, and your guild members can see it no matter where in the world they are.

If that doesn't work or isn't comprehensive enough they might be able to add something afterwards but I doubt they'd add a server-wide message channel now when they're going to get rid of servers as soon as possible. Unless it's a really simply fix, like making the current Team channel work when you're outside WvW.

Although that wouldn't be a solution for my server, Team chat is 99% nonsense, trolling, spam and insults with the occasional relevant message thrown in. When I'm playing WvW I see it as a necessary evil and keep it on hoping I happen to catch the important messages before they're spammed off the screen, but if it was visible outside of WvW I'd turn it off and only switch it back on when I'd already decided to play WvW...and probably 30 minutes in when I suddenly remember the reason I'm not seeing anything is because I turned it off.

@TheGrimm.5624 said:I have to admit, I had a small bit of hope that this might be included in alliances.

@Danikat.8537 said:I suspect this will be included in alliances in the sense that alliances will be predominantly made up of guilds, so people in WvW could post in their guild chat channels to get other people to come and join in.

There was an Alliance Channel in the original Guild Wars. It would be cool if the mechanic that created alliances in GW2 also meant access to such a channel.

@Danikat.8537 said:if it was visible outside of WvW I'd turn it off and only switch it back on when I'd already decided to play WvW...and probably 30 minutes in when I suddenly remember the reason I'm not seeing anything is because I turned it off.

Yes, I agree that just putting the /t chat channel in PvE would be an undesirable solution that would encourage PvE players to turn it off. That's why I think it should be a SPECIAL channel JUST for your team in PvE.