Rares: Salvage or sell?

@altermaven.7385 said:Rare weapons, when used in the mystic forge, have a 20% chance of becoming an exotic weapon, And if it is an exotic weapon, there is a tiny sliver of a chance it can be a legendary precursor for any of the first-gen weapons. Not only that, but exotics sell for somewhat more than rares, but it all depends on the stats and rarity of the exotic as well. You might flip 40s worth of equipment into a 5g weapon, or even an 80g+ if you manage such a precursor. But you're better odds just getting a sub-decent sellable than a precursor, even if.

IMO, I salvage all that doesn't provide much worth for ectoplasm, as it's key usage for many high-tier crafts, including ascended gear.

Best answer thank you!!

Always use mystic salvage kits. You get 250 uses instead of a master's 25, and it's much cheaper than buying 10 master's salvage kits. Though if you can net one, and you desperately need the sigil or rune from a piece of equipment, use a Black Lion Salvage Kit*.

(*These are usually gemstore exclusive, but you can get these as a chance from the Day 4 supply box, or by cashing in some black lion statuettes.)

Any rare that's worth less than an ecto, you salvage. I only sell rares that are unusually high priced, if I happen to even notice that. Ectos have the added bonus of being salvagable (for luck and crystaline dust), so they're usually a better deal if the price is even comparable.

Archived