Rares: Salvage or sell?

Buying a glob of ectoplasm, the last time I looked, cost around 35 silver.Selling a rare item seems to average around 30 silver.But you don't always get ecto from salvaging a rare. Or sometimes you get two. Are there any stats showing the average rate at which ectoplasm drops from salvaging rares? If you need ecto, is it better to salvage your rares or sell them and just buy the ectoplasm?

I normally tend to salvage them with a 'Mystic Salvage Kit', rares drop frequently enough especially when you do meta, events, and chest opening, you can get more 0-3 ecto with each rare-exotic you salvage, and the chance of getting ecto is pretty good. Just be sure the rare equipment you are salvaging is around the level 68 or higher range.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:Are there any stats showing the average rate at which ectoplasm drops from salvaging rares?

Sorta. (link)

My personal experience seems to support the idea that you're more likely than not to get at least one ecto, and therefore I salvage most of my rares. If I find a rare that's selling for more like 50–60 silver (as staves occasionally do), that's when I consider posting it for sale instead.

@"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:Buying a glob of ectoplasm, the last time I looked, cost around 35 silver.Selling a rare item seems to average around 30 silver.But you don't always get ecto from salvaging a rare. Or sometimes you get two. Are there any stats showing the average rate at which ectoplasm drops from salvaging rares? If you need ecto, is it better to salvage your rares or sell them and just buy the ectoplasm?

You may sometimes not always get ECTO, however, you did have an opportunity of getting 1 or more. You will need to consider the Salvage Kit Type + Luck. So you should really not see it at a lost.You can reference the data that has been put together already here.Glob of Ectoplasm/salvage research

I use Mystic Salvage Kits for salvaging rare equipment, so my rule of thumb is that I salvage rares that sell for less on the TP than a Glob of Ectoplasm costs, and sell rares that sell for more than that (largely swords, greatswords and daggers). Rares below level 65 are always sold, since they have only an extremely low chance to give Ectos and they tend to sell for more than the material costs that you get from salvaging them.

If you choose to have a decision making process for rare items, you spend a lot of time clicking around and checking the Trading Post, or even adjusting the price if you want to sell it. That time could be better spent playing the game and getting more items to salvage.

If you just killed a champ and have a few items in your inventory, that might be feasible, but if you did an Octovine event or the Silverwastes meta, you will spend several minutes checking the value of your stuff. And while you do that, I already right-clicked salvaged all rares and stored the mats and ectos and fight the next boss. Even if you make a few silver more by selling a rare item (which is not even clear, since the drop rate of ectos varies), the time you save by just salvaging makes more than up for it. And time equals money when you farm. I salvage everything lower than rare with cheap kits, and rares and exotics with master kits. I only check if exotics are worth selling, because they can actually make me 4+ gold.

I have no statistics, but I'm convinced that it's smarter to salvage all rares instead of spending time to look them up (there are exceptions, like Tequatl's aqua breather, but that one won't auto-salvage anyway). I think at some point in the game, it was worth selling rares, but the economy has changed. So who's buying rares from the TP? Do people buy a level 80 rare to use it with a character? Certainly not, they buy to salvage or feed it to the mystic toilet. In the first way, you just lost 15% of the item's value due to fees, in the second, you gamble. I'll keep salvaging :)

Just a heads-up, though... if you salvage a rare with a required level below 68, you won't get any ecto from it. Often if you get an exotic that has a nonstandard insignia/inscription e.g. Dire, Rabid, etc. there's a slight chance to pry the insignia/inscription as well. Those can potentially net you quite a bit.

My personal: I'll salvage if I'm below 70 ecto. I'll sell if I'm above and it's more worth than the current going price for ecto. The exception is exotics. If it has a rune/sigil I want, I'll salvage to try and pry it.

• 11 months later...

@alchemist.6851 said:

@Khailyn.6248 said:I keep a few rare weapons for mystic forging but most things tend to get fed to the silver salvage of matic. Things like rare necklaces get sold on the trading post as i have terrible luck getting anything other than just mithril salvaging them.

what’s the deal with rare weapons and the mystic forge ?

You got a snowballs chance in hell to get a gen1 pre from it

Rare weapons, when used in the mystic forge, have a 20% chance of becoming an exotic weapon, And if it is an exotic weapon, there is a tiny sliver of a chance it can be a legendary precursor for any of the first-gen weapons. Not only that, but exotics sell for somewhat more than rares, but it all depends on the stats and rarity of the exotic as well. You might flip 40s worth of equipment into a 5g weapon, or even an 80g+ if you manage such a precursor. But you're better odds just getting a sub-decent sellable than a precursor, even if.

IMO, I salvage all that doesn't provide much worth for ectoplasm, as it's key usage for many high-tier crafts, including ascended gear.

Archived