Tempest is underestimated

Euclid.2517

I am talking about non-open world PVE here and dps tempest.

Nowadays in fractal/raid, I rarely see a tempest dps (either in pug or statics), most dps eles go with weaver.

I myself also rooted for weaver most of time. TBH, condi weaver feels much different from power weaver and more enjoyable and versatile.

But still, I got bored with weaver and tried out tempest. It's surprisingly good given that few people use it today.

boon stacking

You can carry your team's boon as a dps class!Heat Sync, and area might/fury stacking comes handy with scepter/warhorn

Group Healing as dps

Soothing mist and "wash the pain away" gives group healing!

Feel more like a mage

Scepter/warhorn skills embodies the mage style imo and the animation is fantastic.

Personally I really like the animation of water glob where you chase it for healing xd.

Good damage on medium/large hitbox

I tried on form 99cm and Samarog today. The dps is really solid and at the same level of power weaver, if not better.

Good AOE cleave

Overload Air, wild fire, lightning orb etc. You can cleave adds while doing dps on boss.

Also, you are ranged. This is really nice in situations like Xera/Gorseval. You can clear shard/orb while doing the boss!What a mage!

In contrast, when I play weaver in Gorseval, I always cower when the orb gets close.

Group Control on adds

Dust storm pulses blindness.

Cyclone pulls.

Panic Button

You can switch to water attunement for some burst healing (if you take water spec) as panic button.

This is not doable as weaver. You will be stuck in water for 4 seconds.

--Personally, I would recommend ele pve beginners to play tempest. I have seen so many people playing weaver but doing really bad.

Remember, as a weaver, you are the squishes and all you can offer is dps. If you are bad, you are utterly bad. people wouldn't hesitate to kick you and replace with DH/Soulbeast nowadays.

Tempest is just simpler and capable of doing more things, and deserve more attention from mage lovers.

What do you think?

I made an Elementalist a little while ago. I hesitated for a long time because I really wanted to specialize in an element rather than switch between them on the fly. I eventually found a build I was comfortable with enough, and it's a Tempest. They coincidentally became the character I run Fractals with. I know it's not optimized and I'm lazy about it so I don't have a lot of utility as them, but I burst things down way faster than my other characters, and the emergency healing, like you said, is really nice. For the level of difficulty I go with, it's way more than enough and extremely satisfying.

Like the post. Actually started playing ele again because I saw a tempest build from wooden potatoes. I thought I had to play weaver but not enough time to play it like a “piano” even though it seems so “cool”.

Scepter/warhorn is the definition of mage and enjoy the range and everything above you mentioned! I also like that I’ll be able to play it in pvp based off a vid from Vallun so loving the fact that I can play my ele and not just use to farm wood haha

Edit: I know you weren’t talking open world and I know it’s “easy” but what build would you go? I can’t decide between fire or water for last trait line and utilities are a toss up.

I picked my ele back up because the WP video. His build/suggestions, while intended for open world, gave the class a more nostalgic feel for me. The one thing I missed from WoW was my feral druid. Back before they messed up druid's versatility. Main one form, switch to others for buffs/ heals or supporting your mana users with a quick innervate. A great team player with solid DPS.In GW2 The right Tempest build gave some of that back.

Bad group or heavy cleave needed : tempest > weaver.

Good group and you're fighting a single boss : weaver >>> tempest.

Both work well in open world, it just depends on play style and if range or cleave is a big factor or not. Weaver kills individual mobs faster, tempest kills more of them easier and has better rally potential. Fire >>> water when solo because downed lava font is the best trait on ele.