This gamemode has been eating more then it can chew for years now

LionZero.3479

Isn't it about time it's adressed?Lower the number cap for maps on each side by 10-20.Lower the draw calls by removing boons like might and retal as a start.

See how it affects the game, this server lagg/desync/random speed processing is a hot mess especially at resets.

Yeah, I don't quite understand why nothing is done about the lag at all. Lowering player caps is a rather drastic measure though (for the record, I would welcome it very much)

Maybe it's because they are putting all the eggs into the Alliance basket and they will come with slightly lowered map caps. At the same time they can also work on further optimization in their netcode.

It can't even be blamed on Covid19, it's been a problem for literally years. It has maybe gotten a bit worse with the pandemic, but it was always a problem. Lowering map caps could potentially help, but then queues might be a big problem.

Even if COVID-19 did not exist, this would continue to be a problem due to laziness. However, I do wish the devs and their families well during this pandemic.

@LionZero.3479 I agree.IMO, I would reduce the population caps, maybe by 50 players per team(?), so that maps fill more quickly with fewer players and add another Alpine Borderland map(s) to compensate. The number of extra WvW maps could be possibly different depending on the server/WvW population for the week. Also, to reduce the likely potential headache's from complaints about either: A. Buggy new maps or B. New maps. Thus, there would be 150 players less per map. However, they could fill a new map instead of waiting in the queue. Yet, there is no way for me to distinguish if that number (150 total) would be exactly ideal; especially, across each server/WvW population.

It's unfortunate to say, but the WvW aspect of this game is fundamentally broken right now. It should be taken down until fixed and restored to some level of functionality.It's not up to the players to respond to this.

Clearly in open empty areas latency/packet loss is fine, but it doesn't even take a map queue to cause all kinds of headaches and 4+ second latency. I would estimate 20v20 will start to impact play-ability. IMO packet loss causes serious issues which the game engine doesn't handle at all well, however the servers are also not keeping up with demand. This is easy to see when the same player connection moves from normal ping to high packet loss/latency back to normal just from more players being near by. It's also been ongoing since long before CoVid, thus no blaming the current state of affairs.

Drastic measures need to be taken.

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:do something. kitten its been so long since lag was manageable, anet show you give a dam and AT LEAST TRY.

They did try, they logged in at EU prime hours and did a full reset of everyone in EB skills while a fight was going on (There's a video somewhere, it's amusing). The same Dev later said something along the lines of "Yep, there's skill-lag" and then vanished into the long grass never to be heard of again...

@XenesisII.1540 said:

@Whiteout.1975 said:add another Alpine Borderland map(s) to compensate.

And who exactly would be the owner of this extra borderland?

In my opinion, the team with the lowest active WvW population. Though, if they must, they can always add new maps. I was just saying to prepare for the almost inevitable complaints as a result. Yet, maybe some people will like a new map regardless, just as some people liked the Desert Borderland. We just do not know how many will/will not like it. Therefore, if Anet especially knows they are going to be lazy in the design, assuming Anet wants to make a new map, then I probably wouldn't risk it so much.

We shouldn't be thinking about having less people on a map. If we're going to spread population around this should be an open world game mode. In these matchups, most of the substance of the game is working your build and seeing how it rolls out in group and squad compositions, people are playing WvW mostly looking for big fights and bags. If you're not in the middle of prime time, you already can spend most of your time reading the map and radar and hopping around trying to keep up with what looks like the more rewarding fights. The only time we really need an extra map is for like an hour or two on reset. An extra map when not on reset could end up being a backcapping train while blobs are looking for each other.

@Whiteout.1975 said:

In my opinion, the team with the lowest active WvW population. Though, if they must, they can always add new maps. I was just saying to prepare for the almost inevitable complaints as a result. Yet, maybe some people will like a new map regardless, just as some people liked the Desert Borderland. We just do not know how many will/will not like it. Therefore, if Anet especially knows they are going to be lazy in the design, assuming Anet wants to make a new map, then I probably wouldn't risk it so much.

Lowest active population can change in the middle of a match, transfers can happen, or a sleeper server can suddenly wake up and screw this up, and let's not suggest changing ownership in the middle of matches because that would be beyond messy. Also not a good idea to just hand out some extra points to the lowest side and possibly artificially keep them in a tier where they don't belong. If extra maps are to be introduced into a match beyond the three borderlands, the maps should be as ebg or eotm, evenly spread maps in which no side has any big extra advantage.

I don't exactly disagree about lowering map caps and maybe adding another map, and maybe since ebg is the most popular it would actually help with this, especially on a reset night when you can get 20-100 people queuing up for that map. The problem is not everyone is on the other maps waiting in queue, even when borderland maps are open, some people would even prefer to just wait in pve to get into ebg.

Wvw will most likely never get another map, takes a year for them to design and create one (eotm), resources they most likely wouldn't want to pour into wvw as pve and living story always takes priority. Lowering pop cap might help with lag, might not, we don't really know for sure, there's a lot of background noise since the last two expansions, lower caps and 5 full maps might not do much on reset.

@XenesisII.1540 said:

Lowest active population can change in the middle of a match, transfers can happen, or a sleeper server can suddenly wake up and screw this up,
and let's not suggest changing ownership in the middle of matches because that would be beyond messy. ~
~Also not a good idea to just hand out some extra points to the lowest side and possibly artificially keep them in a tier where they don't belong. ~~

The population can change in general. Transfers can happen in general. High Population or Low Population. The primary problem is Transfers.A sleeper server can wake up. A server three fourths, half, a quarter, one-tenth asleep can "wake up." You can be the judge of how sleepy they are maybe, but all can, to some extent, "wake up." I just wonder if they wake up, however accurately that is judged, will they be guaranteed to be effective if so? How long will that last? Does this rarely (once in a blue moon) happen? (I think so) Will that be enough to move them up a tier? Does that truly matter when the primary problem is Transfers?

If extra maps are to be introduced into a match beyond the three borderlands, the maps should be as ebg or eotm, evenly spread maps in which no side has any big extra advantage.

Personally, EBG is fine. I'll take what I can here. I'd prefer a set up like that anyways for this predicament. Good of you to mention.

I don't exactly disagree about lowering map caps and maybe adding another map, and maybe since ebg is the most popular it would actually help with this, especially on a reset night when you can get 20-100 people queuing up for that map.

Amazing, I agree too.

The problem is not everyone is on the other maps waiting in queue, even when borderland maps are open, some people would even prefer to just wait in pve to get into ebg.

Well, if they are in the queue in this scenario. That is their choice and no other individual's fault. Just as it's no one's fault if someone decides to play PvE or spend their life doing something other than WvW. The problem is not/was not that there is so much as a queue. Also, the problem is not that people are purposefully choosing to wait since that is what they intentionally decided to do (each person being in charge of their actions). The problem here, since the start of the OP, was that each map has the potential to hold too many players, which is thought to cause some lag. I agree with the OP on this.

Wvw will most likely never get another map, takes a year for them to design and create one (eotm), resources they most likely wouldn't want to pour into wvw as pve and living story always takes priority. Lowering pop cap might help with lag, might not, we don't really know for sure, there's a lot of background noise since the last two expansions, lower caps and 5 full maps might not do much on reset.

I completely agree. However, I can absolutely guarantee you this would help. I have been on tier 8, 3, 1 and back to tier 3 servers through my WvW years, each for 2 years or more. Moving with mostly the same friends. Anytime we would get our biggest lag spikes, this was either because a big zerg/blob joined or there was a big fight going on in the server. When maps were less filled, less lag resulted. We had either had different or similar Operating systems (I never got the full details); however, this did not matter. We all felt the lag from this together, not just on separate occasions.

• The other good thing is this would limit servers from blobing up as heavily on 1 map. This allows other maps to potentially receive more activity, and with two EBG's (like you suggested) people can now try to get into two instead of one on reset especially.

I cannot guarantee this move (lower cap + another map/more) would abolish all lag. Honestly, I don't think this is the sole source of all lagging. However, I can guarantee you that it is a major driving force in lag creation. Sadly, in the end, nothing substantial will likely change and I enjoyed wasting my breath for the fun of it. Have a wonderful day :)

@Fish.2769 said:

@"Stand The Wall.6987" said:do
something
. kitten its been so long since lag was manageable, anet show you give a dam and AT LEAST TRY.

They did try, they logged in at EU prime hours and did a full reset of everyone in EB skills while a fight was going on (There's a video somewhere, it's amusing). The same Dev later said something along the lines of "Yep, there's skill-lag" and then vanished into the long grass never to be heard of again...

How long ago did this happen? Just recently?

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

something
. kitten its been so long since lag was manageable, anet show you give a dam and AT LEAST TRY.

A month or 2 ago, was either just before or just after Christmas.

@Fish.2769 said:

something

Was that the one about the server configuration issue? I remember this one but it was a fair few months ago, so if it was not too long ago it must be a different one from the server misconfigured one. Would've loved to see what it looked like. There has to be quite a few things affecting the current lag atm, but the servers definitely do have a long outstanding underlying issue.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

something

Was that the one about the server configuration issue? I remember this one but it was a fair few months ago, so if it was not too long ago it must be a different one from the server misconfigured one. Would've loved to see what it looked like. There has to be quite a few things affecting the current lag atm, but the servers definitely do have a long outstanding underlying issue.

Not that i'm aware of... But it sure wasn't that long ago but someone has/had a clip of it where all their skills just went on CD for 5 seconds. (1-5 and 6-0).

It honestly amazes me, how 400 people can work on something for 8 years and ruin a product to the point that it's not even functioning on a basic level. Tried to play with two friends this evening and we all went off after half an hour teleporting around and lagfest on three maps.

• 3 weeks later...