Sailing and more water related content?

I'd love sea exploration via an actual ship we could sail around on! Would also love a ship we could have as personal player housing, or an island home instance we could customise.

Sadly though I doubt we'll really get it as it'd take a lot to really do it properly and get it right. I think the nearest we'd ever likely get would probably be something fairly basic and unlikely to meet the quality of what we actually want or hope for. Shame, as something like Skies of Arcadia has proven just how amazing all of these things can be, but that was designed for it to start with. Maybe I'll take a little break and go replay that again XD

I would like to see a submarine as a "mount". Then they could make content you can only access with a sub (perhaps because it's too deep). Underwater adventures would literally open up a whole new world. It would remind me a bit of "The Undersea World of Jaques Cousteau" from my childhood.

@"Daddicus.6128" said:I would like to see a submarine as a "mount". Then they could make content you can only access with a sub (perhaps because it's too deep). Underwater adventures would literally open up a whole new world. It would remind me a bit of "The Undersea World of Jaques Cousteau" from my childhood.

OMG! Thats what i was also thinking! Some hazardous locations that could be reached only by using submarines, underwater content would really be soo cool. GW2 is the greatest mmo and this whole vibe with interaction with environment has years of potential - for them and for us, also they would make lots of money on mounts etc.... Wouldnt it be cool?

@Randulf.7614 said:No it wouldn't be great.

It would be awesome!

Not sure if the engine can handle boats and sea stuff well though given how awful the npc boats are in the core campaign

It looks like it was more a case of not knowing how to do it, or not bothering to spend the time since boats were so rarely in the base game. There's been boats added since then which work much better. Both Sandswept Isles and Labyrinthine Cliffs have small boats which travel around the map which players can ride, and Dragonfall has an airship which circles the map with several NPCs on board. I don't know what issues there might be with scaling that up, but I'd like to see Anet try.

I think it could be really cool to have a map right out in open water with lot of underwater content and ships instead of camps or towns, which move around the map (slowly enough that it's easy to catch up to them when you need to) and maybe small boats we could take out to explore.