New Accounts and Mount Availability Solution - [Merged]

I'm truly a new player, no previous experience with the game. Not having a mount wasn't an issue at all while levelling up. Yes, i got a tad envious of people zipping by me on raptors or flying on their beautiful skyscales. I read about mounts, saw it was a future content stuff and moved on. I never felt the need or any issue, you don't get left behind if you are just levelling and doing your own stuff at your pace. The couple of times i happen to be on a map with a meta event, well, i tagged what i could, got my rewards. Dailies are mostly a non issue, almost never had the required map open to be able to finish them, so i didn't care at all.

Now, if you get into a guild, it's a problem for guild missions and other group content, since everybody have their mounts. Two options, the whole group dismount just for you (and i personally would feel bad, since ik i'm slowing down 30 people to accommodate the noob), or you are late to everything and the group have to wait for you.

My biggest issue with mounts it's "when" you get them. I planned to play the game in order, LWS2, HoT, etc, etc. I really like the story, developments etc. Then i faced the problem, it would take a while to get a mount (i can't play for hours every day). My guildies are very nice people but i don't want to slow them down more than i already do. Also, doing dailies become a thing, so now a mount also became important. Meta events? ditto. So i caved and got my mount in PoF, tried to ignore the dialogues, just finish the first mission and went back to my schedule.

Tl;DR: I think mounts are not an issue for L<80. They are an issue for fresh L80 players who wants to play in order and enjoy some group content at the same time.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having a second account really makes it clear. I doubt if you'd really truely see the impact without a second non mounted account. Where I see it the most is in dailys and very popular areas. When an event pops, my main account is right there getting in on the action, and never missing credit or loot. When I play my paid core tyria only level 80 account, every daily event is done before I can get there, unless it pops real close by. No action, no loot, no daily credit, over and over. At the very least we should see a ban on mounts in level 15 maps. Two or three mount tailswipes and those npc's are dead. At least that's what I see before I get close enough to attack them on my mountless account, but I don't notice it on my mounted toons, cause I'm already gone.On a side note, I can smash through the first ten levels for key farming with a new toon on a mounted account by simply using a Beetle and taking the main roads through the low level maps getting exp for waypoints, poi's and an occasional vista, in very little time. That time is uncomparable to a mountless toon on a paid account trying to reach level 10.

I leveled my first character 1 -80 without a mount. As I warrior I just spammed my warhorn skill everywhere. I think it allowed me to delve deeper into the core environment maps as I "stopped to smell the flowers". I actually wasn't planning on getting a mount until I finished everything before PoF first. But when I hit 80 in core Tyria I kept getting the annoying Mastery Point notice and so decided to do the first PoH mission to unlock mastery points and end the message. In the process I got the Raptor. It is definitely convenient as now I can also use different weapon combinations without worrying about my warhorn. But I doubt 1 -80 is necessary. I actually didn't do any dailies before level 80 either because a lot of the map was undiscovered and I really didn't know where to go and already had so many other things I was figuring out. But that was just my experience.

Adding a one time use mount tonic for a few copper seems harmless. Just make it look like a little swift donkey that can't jump or something. Haha.

Honestly, I could care less whether they add rentals. They've done it for festival events...why not core?But these long explanations or reasons why they should don't really hold water with me. Just do it. Why don't they hold water? Well, If you couldn't get to an event because others get there and blast the event quickly, you having a rental or having to go and get you a rental isn't going to assure you get credit. If events like that exist, which I assume they do...(kill mob events?), then that event is a lost cause anyway. If they go down that easy, mount or no...you weren't going to make it anyway, you'd have to be first on the scene.....and core Tyria is littered with waypoints...worry about getting those before you worry about doing events you weren't going to get to anyway.

Worried about doing dailies? Do other dailies. There are dailies that you can't do anyway unless you are certain levels. For the ones that basically require you to be 80...guess what? Go get your mounts anyway...The + in all of this....the real benefit to rentals in core maps, it's further advertising to free players to buy expansions to get the real deal.

@"Opopanax.1803" said:Not sure if anyone else has any other thoughts, but I think this would help integrate new players.

I started playing GW2 December 18th, 2018. And I loved the game so much that I purchased both expansions. I knew that there were mounts and gliders in the game because I had watched Youtube videos about the game before I started playing (and I also saw people whizzing past me on various mounts). I never felt I had an issue playing core Tyria without a mount (little did I know how much easier life would be with the Springer mount). I disagree that it is hard to participate in core Tyria events without a mount. Mounts make life easier but I don't feel like I had any difficulty participating in events.

I do have an issue with how mounts are acquired. I don't like how getting the glider and raptor spoils the main story for you.

When I reached level 80, I had not finished my personal story (I didn't use level boosters). I didn't like how the story was broken up every 10 levels. So I planned on reaching 80 then playing through all of the content at once. At some point I wanted the glider and raptor. I didn't know that there were such huge spoilers in each "unlock" story. Ultimately it was my fault for not playing the story in order. But I really hated those spoilers.

I don't think new players in Core Tyria need mounts. I won't fight against them getting access, but I don't think they are necessary. I do think that if players pay for Path of Fire and they meet the proper level requirements then those players should be able to gain a mount (even if it is only temporary) without having the story spoiled for them. And I feel the same about the glider.

This post is a bit of a thread-jack (I apologize). And I know most people don't care about the story. But I am still so angry at myself for finishing the HoT glider mission and thinking the spoilers wouldn't be as bad in the PoF mount mission.

@dizzy.9263 said:I don't think new players in Core Tyria need mounts. I won't fight against them getting access, but I don't think they are necessary. I do think that if players pay for Path of Fire and they meet the proper level requirements then those players should be able to gain a mount (even if it is only temporary) without having the story spoiled for them. And I feel the same about the glider.

This post is a bit of a thread-jack (I apologize). And I know most people don't care about the story. But I am still so angry at myself for finishing the HoT glider mission and thinking the spoilers wouldn't be as bad in the PoF mount mission.

As a new player I really agree that there should be a way to unlock mount without spoiling the story, and even though mounts are not that necessary, but being almost only player without them is a bit of a downer.

I'm not a new player, but I didn't bother much with mounts besides the raptor until recently. The raptor was very easy to get, but I agree that players new to the game with Path of Fire should have a way to get it and at least be informed that it is available to get quickly through the PoF story. All of the mounts in this game really do make the PvE experience much more fun.

Besides the raptor, getting the rest of them is a bit of a pain. I dread even trying to unlock the skyscale as the grind seems ridiculous. I wish that there was a relatively easy to get, always flying mount that was just not quite as good as the skyscale, so that the skyscale would still be relevant and worth getting.

@"Atomos.7593" said:All of the mounts in this game really do make the PvE experience much more fun.

That is really important point.

If we would not take account any of the possible issues without been mouth. I mean "only" reason why others seem to say no, is because "It's not needed" in core lands.

In my opinion there isn't really reasons to deny new players, who have buyed PoF, to have somekind mount early. My point is, if it's fun for others, why would we deny same fun from new players. In many other mmorpgs, where you get mount, you get it like between level 5 - 15. Also it would make this game better for new players and they would not have to do "painfull" story stuff in wrong order. Also the other issues what some deny to even exist, would be also solved same time. We are play this game to have fun. Better experience new players get, more fun it is for them, more active players we get. It also promote new players to get PoF.

In some mmo, what I don't name here, there you get mount and cliders by doing simple fun quest. I finded the mount quest actully pretty nice and funny. You got this little baby mount and had to carry it in backbag to in sertain area. There you got little plant seed what you growed in gound and harvest. Then you put baby mount in gound, gived it to this growing seed, water and entertained it by dancing. It took like minute and then you got full grown mount.

My point is that someting what is so fun, usefull and actully make game better, why in here GW2 the situation has to be so bad. We all here love this game, why can't we make it better and more fun for everyone?

@Rookie.8405 said:

@dizzy.9263 said:I don't think new players in Core Tyria need mounts. I won't fight against them getting access, but I don't think they are necessary. I do think that if players pay for Path of Fire and they meet the proper level requirements then those players should be able to gain a mount (even if it is only temporary) without having the story spoiled for them. And I feel the same about the glider.

As a new player I really agree that there should be a way to unlock mount without spoiling the story, and even though mounts are not that necessary, but being almost only player without them is a bit of a downer.

SImple idea, play the game, BUY POF if you haven't and work towards a mount. Just like everyone else has done.

I have a Free to play alternate account I like to play because of nostalgia. I don't feel put off or disadvantaged leveling my player by others with mounts. They come and go and you enjoy your time just the same.

F2P works efficiently just like it always did. It is STILL a great experience for the 'try before you buy' trial.Premium features should not be handed out so trivially.

@Lumikki.1725 said:

@"Atomos.7593" said:All of the mounts in this game really do make the PvE experience much more fun.

That is really important point.

If we would not take account any of the possible issues without been mouth. I mean "only" reason why others seem to say no, is because "It's not needed" in core lands.

In my opinion there isn't really reasons to deny new players, who have buyed PoF, to have somekind mount early. My point is, if it's fun for others, why would we deny same fun from new players. In many other mmorpgs, where you get mount, you get it like between level 5 - 15. Also it would make this game better for new players and they would not have to do "painfull" story stuff in wrong order. Also the other issues what some deny to even exist, would be also solved same time. We are play this game to have fun. Better experience new players get, more fun it is for them, more active players we get. It also promote new players to get PoF.

In some mmo, what I don't name here, there you get mount and cliders by doing simple fun quest. I finded the mount quest actully pretty nice and funny. You got this little baby mount and had to carry it in backbag to in sertain area. There you got little plant seed what you growed in gound and harvest. Then you put baby mount in gound, gived it to this growing seed, water and entertained it by dancing. It took like minute and then you got full grown mount.

My point is that someting what is so fun, usefull and actully make game better, why in here GW2 the situation has to be so bad. We all here love this game, why can't we make it better and more fun for everyone?

Yeah. I understand that players have worked hard to unlock their mounts (me too). But I don't see anything wrong with introducing mounts that are easily obtainable for players with the PoF expansion that would make their PvE experience more fun, as long as these easy to get mounts are not as good as the harder to get mounts that players have already worked hard to obtain. Why deny others from having the same kind of fun that you do in PvE open world?

My 2 cents, raptor unlock being outside of the main pof story would be better. It maddened me when I came back to gw2 after 5y break ish that I had to either wait until lws2,3, and heart of thorns were done to get raptor, or go out of order and have the story spoiled.

I chose to wait, but I'm unlocking mounts on another account for my other half so he doesn't have to play the story out of order (which is a huge no go for him). Not because they are needed, but because I think the qol they provide will make him more likely to play longer than if he started without them. < This is probably true for most new players.

@Blude.6812 said:

SImple idea, play the game, BUY POF if you haven't and work towards a mount. Just like everyone else has done.

I thought its kinda clear that I have POF, but I havent even finish main story yet, and I care about the story, so I am stuck without mount for a long time, while players who dont care about the story, if they were at my point in game, could unlock them in several hours.

@Rookie.8405 said:

I thought its kinda clear that I have POF, but I havent even finish main story yet, and I care about the story, so I am stuck without mount for a long time, while players who dont care about the story, if they were at my point in game, could unlock them in several hours.

Sounds like a personal choice, especially as mounts aren't required for any content until you get to PoF?

@kharmin.7683 said:

Sounds like a personal choice, especially as mounts aren't required for any content until you get to PoF?

I never said they are required, just as more I play, the more tedious running around becomes. Just pointing that its gets more and more unfun, especially if you dont have a lot of time to play and much of that time you must spend running around. And I wouldnt really care, if all players would have to get to story in the line, but when game makes you choose between QOL and spoiling the story - thats not really a good thing

@Rookie.8405 said:I never said they are required, just as more I play, the more tedious running around becomes. Just pointing that its gets more and more unfun, especially if you dont have a lot of time to play and much of that time you must spend running around. And I wouldnt really care, if all players would have to get to story in the line, but when game makes you choose between QOL and spoiling the story - thats not really a good thing

Certainly your opinion as this is mine. The game is not making anyone choose between spoiling the story or QoL. That's a player's decision. As is your thought about the game forcing players to play the story in line. Why should your preference affect the way that other players wish to enjoy the game? I'm not trying to sound snarky, here, so I apologize if it comes over like that.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Rookie.8405" said:I never said they are required, just as more I play, the more tedious running around becomes. Just pointing that its gets more and more unfun, especially if you dont have a lot of time to play and much of that time you must spend running around. And I wouldnt really care, if all players would have to get to story in the line, but when game makes you choose between QOL and spoiling the story - thats not really a good thing

Certainly your opinion as this is mine. The game is not making anyone choose between spoiling the story or QoL. That's a player's decision. As is your thought about the game forcing players to play the story in line. Why should your preference affect the way that other players wish to enjoy the game? I'm not trying to sound snarky, here, so I apologize if it comes over like that.

No problem, I just think we have different view on what is "forcing".Let me clear first - do you agree that mounts bring up QOL for players?If yes - then, from my point of view, players have two choices -1) Spoil the story and get a big improvement in quality of life.2) Go on with the story, but suffer from tedious things, wasting hours and hours of gameplay on walking in the result (and since I am just finishing my story, I have a lot of walking ahead)

For me it looks like a making choice between story and QOL. And making player choose between QOL and Storyline is not a good decision, in my opinion.

Agree to disagree.

Your point #2 is jaded by your own, personal perspective (tedious things; wasting hours). If you want Anet to seriously consider your point of view, you might want to consider a more objective argument. You might also point out what would be the benefit to Anet, other than the potential of lost sales of PoF. True, many players might purchase the expansion at some point anyway, but I think that the sales of PoF are probably more due to the mounts than the content. Providing free or very low cost rental mounts (few coppers, I think was someone's suggested price point) would not encourage players to buy the expansion, especially for F2P players. There would be less incentive for them to buy PoF.

Also, I think that your viewpoint suffers from the assumption that the majority of the players in GW2 would prefer to play the game by going through the story chapters in order from start to present. I'm not convinced that this is the case.

@kharmin.7683 said:Agree to disagree.

Your point #2 is jaded by your own, personal perspective (tedious things; wasting hours). If you want Anet to seriously consider your point of view, you might want to consider a more objective argument. You might also point out what would be the benefit to Anet, other than the potential of lost sales of PoF. True, many players might purchase the expansion at some point anyway, but I think that the sales of PoF are probably more due to the mounts than the content. Providing free or very low cost rental mounts (few coppers, I think was someone's suggested price point) would not encourage players to buy the expansion, especially for F2P players. There would be less incentive for them to buy PoF.

Also, I think that your viewpoint suffers from the assumption that the majority of the players in GW2 would prefer to play the game by going through the story chapters in order from start to present. I'm not convinced that this is the case.

Well, maybe some people find walking in game fun and like to spend time on walking instead of doing other things :)

I never said anything about giving mounts to F2P players, I was agreeing with post talking about giving off-story option to get mounts to owners of POF.

So, opressing story liking minorities for having their opinion that is a different from your, eh? :)

Well, we are getting more and more offtopic, thread is asking a question - how does the new players feel about story-locked mounts - I answered, that its gets more and more unfun. And then people come and start to convince me that its good to be bad unfun things are fine, just I have a wrong point of view :)

Oh, and I am a casual player, so I dont have much time to play. People who are more free wont feel walking this time-consuming, I guess.

@Rookie.8405 said:

Well, maybe some people find walking in game fun and like to spend time on walking instead of doing other things :)Maybe so.

I never said anything about giving mounts to F2P players, I was agreeing with post talking about giving off-story option to get mounts to owners of POF.I never said that YOU said anything about F2P players. I merely brought up that point which had been addressed earlier in the thread to further support my opinion.

So, opressing story liking minorities for having their opinion that is a different from your, eh? :)Wow. I was trying to be civil, but then you accuse me of oppressing a minority? Egad! Also, have I ever attacked you or anyone else in this thread for having a different opinion? Egad again!

Oh, and I am a casual player, so I dont have much time to play. People who are more free wont feel walking this time-consuming, I guess.I'm casual, too. I don't have a lot of time, either. I decided that I didn't want to play the personal story in order. That was my choice, just as you have made yours. Neither is right or wrong.

Well, we are getting more and more offtopic, thread is asking a question - how does the new players feel about story-locked mounts - I answered, that its gets more and more unfun. And then people come and start to convince me that its good to be bad unfun things are fine, just I have a wrong point of view :)Actually, I believe that the thread was offering a solution to the problem perceived by the OP of new(er) players not having mounts. The solution was for rental mounts.@Opopanax.1803 said: A possible solution: make a mount like raptor available from outposts like a rental npc (such as in Dragonfall's skyscale rentals); or incorporate this into any vendor for only a copper or two. This wouldnt be a perfect solution, but it would at least make up some of the difference for not having completed the POF story.

But, yes, to address the topic of the thread about rental mounts, I still have to ask what's in it for ANet? Until someone can show how this would be profitable for them, I don't see that the OP's proposal would be implemented.

@kharmin.7683 said:

Well, maybe some people find walking in game fun and like to spend time on walking instead of doing other things :)Maybe so.

I never said anything about giving mounts to F2P players, I was agreeing with post talking about giving off-story option to get mounts to owners of POF.I never said that YOU said anything about F2P players. I merely brought up that point which had been addressed earlier in the thread to further support my opinion.

So, opressing story liking minorities for having their opinion that is a different from your, eh? :)Wow. I was trying to be civil, but then you accuse me of oppressing a minority? Egad! Also, have I ever attacked you or anyone else in this thread for having a different opinion? Egad again!

Oh, and I am a casual player, so I dont have much time to play. People who are more free wont feel walking this time-consuming, I guess.I'm casual, too. I don't have a lot of time, either. I decided that I didn't want to play the personal story in order. That was my choice, just as you have made yours. Neither is right or wrong.

Well, we are getting more and more offtopic, thread is asking a question - how does the new players feel about story-locked mounts - I answered, that its gets more and more unfun. And then people come and start to convince me that
its good to be bad
unfun things are fine, just I have a wrong point of view :)Actually, I believe that the thread was offering a solution to the problem perceived by the OP of new(er) players not having mounts. The solution was for rental mounts.@Opopanax.1803 said: A possible solution: make a mount like raptor available from outposts like a rental npc (such as in Dragonfall's skyscale rentals); or incorporate this into any vendor for only a copper or two. This wouldnt be a perfect solution, but it would at least make up some of the difference for not having completed the POF story.

But, yes, to address the topic of the thread about rental mounts, I still have to ask what's in it for ANet? Until someone can show how this would be profitable for them, I don't see that the OP's proposal would be implemented.

Why so serious? :) You are the one who brought up that majority of the players are fine, cause they dont care about the story and get mount almost right away, and that me not getting a mount even though I own POF is story liking players own choice and problem.

And point to me where OP was talking about F2P players? I think since that he mentioned 80LVL booster in his post, its clear that he talking about the new players who bought the expansions. So, so far you are only one who are talking about F2P players

@"kharmin.7683" said:Also, I think that your viewpoint suffers from the assumption that the majority of the players in GW2 would prefer to play the game by going through the story chapters in order from start to present. I'm not convinced that this is the case.

Never spoken of any "majority of the players" ? :)

I never said anything about majority of the players, I just said its a bit unfair to story following players. You've started to mention some "majority"

@Rookie.8405 said:

Do the wvw warclaw mount line then no spoiler to story.