Latent problems in WvW - Arena Net listen to us

Hello, I am a player who plays WvW daily and I feel a little abandoned by Arena Net and every time the experience in WvW is worse.

I would like that the people in charge of Arena Net pay a little attention to us WvW players because we are not few and we keep it alive DAY by DAY. The issue touches all of us directly or indirectly players and clans (whether we get along or not).

-First:It is known that the topic of alliances is a dream that has been talked about for years and we have no information of when it will be and for my part I think it will become a myth among WvW players.

Second:-The clear abandonment of maps and optimization within very large battles. There are many players with low end computers that suffer when entering WvW and would rather be capturing camps than being in a 3 zerg battle in SMC. Most players prefer not to keep playing WvW because their computers don't allow them to and it is known that in every clan there is someone whose computer slows down or stops running the game normally.

Third:-This is what bothers me the most and that is the over population of the servers currently. It can not be that servers to date that I publish are: "12 servers FULL, 8 servers at VERY HIGH population, 3 servers with HIGH population and only one server with MEDIUM population" (in NA where I play). For us WvW players who for some reason want to change servers, we are condemned to pay a ridiculous amount of gems just for wanting to play WvW where we want, they should leave the servers only for the population that does play WvW and leave Pve aside with PvP to their global server or some option that allows the WvW player to choose the server they want to be on and at a reasonable value.

If anyone else shares my thoughts let me know and if you don't think like me please post your issues to get them to Arena Net somehow, the more of us the louder they will listen.

Thank you and may Arena Net do something at once.

@"xthexxkillerx.6438" said:Third:-This is what bothers me the most and that is the over population of the servers currently. It can not be that servers to date that I publish are: "12 servers FULL, 8 servers at VERY HIGH population, 3 servers with HIGH population and only one server with MEDIUM population" (in NA where I play). For us WvW players who for some reason want to change servers, we are condemned to pay a ridiculous amount of gems just for wanting to play WvW where we want, they should leave the servers only for the population that does play WvW and leave Pve aside with PvP to their global server or some option that allows the WvW player to choose the server they want to be on and at a reasonable value.

I feel the pain, after having to ride two months linked with dead sbi to now being linked with dead na sos....

Just to be clear, the population levels have nothing to do with actual players, pve, or spvp on a server, that was changed like 6 years ago, it only takes players wvw activity into account. What most likely happened is they lowered the population level thresholds recently. The move now limits the movement of players, which a lot scream frequently about in here, and it also probably funds anet more with higher transfer cost, so all in all mostly a good move to many probably.

You will just have to ride it out until the player levels start dropping again and open up servers again.

P.S They probably can't do much more to optimization, they mentioned something about it on a stream like a year ago, they also lowered map caps a little to help with lag and it seemed to help. I don't notice much lag anymore even in 3 way smc fights.

@"xthexxkillerx.6438" said:Third:-This is what bothers me the most and that is the over population of the servers currently. It can not be that servers to date that I publish are: "12 servers FULL, 8 servers at VERY HIGH population, 3 servers with HIGH population and only one server with MEDIUM population" (in NA where I play). For us WvW players who for some reason want to change servers, we are condemned to pay a ridiculous amount of gems just for wanting to play WvW where we want, they should leave the servers only for the population that does play WvW and leave Pve aside with PvP to their global server or some option that allows the WvW player to choose the server they want to be on and at a reasonable value.So...

WvW is overpopulated - yet at the same time there is too few players and it's dying.

Nobody want alliances due to "server pride" - but everybody wants them when they get a good link.

Anet has abandoned optimisation in large scale battles - then people praise them due for reducing lag lately by tweaking numbers.

It truly is Schrödingers WvW.

i really don't think server pride still exists. when i left desolation after years on it, there only been like 20-25 ppl left on the server that i even knew. most were just randoms. people want to keep suiting links obviously. it's pretty bad to have link-host always thrown into a new setup time and again.

@ sleepwalker ... yeah no. we know the finished concept, it would have worked. or at least, worked a hundred times better than the link system, bc the link system slowly kills Wvw really off.

also "Balance" was the real april's fool. the balance patches that Wvw got were just messing everything up, started with the cursed februar2020 nerferama. they really tried hard to nerf skill and buff numbers. congratulations.

@xthexxkillerx.6438 pretty valid points. EU has the same issues. old issues that just don't get worked out. #3 is kinda linked with #1, since that is somewhat the same thing.

outside of that, queues are a problem. and not having specific Wvw guild option for prio Q'ing etc

WvW these days is just a pale shadow of its former gloryAnet started to implement step-by-step changes towards the alliances idea, but then it all stopped due to the company issues a while back. Since then, we have been left with these half-implemented changes for years now, and those changes by themselves have seriously broken the competitive wvw game mode. WvW has several obvious bad non-competitive designs & unfair population handicaps in place, probably to help gem sales & ingame gold liquidation, but that at the cost of losing loyal players and the competitive health of the game?

The usual acceptable winning factors in a game is often a mixture of SKILL & EFFORT & TIME INVESTEDI think the old wvw dev forgot that completely when he handicapped all the good devoted players & teams, by punishing servers negatively for playing the game, so that the bad/not-so-serious players can win instead!? And now we have almost perma wvw karmatrains instead of a competitive game mode.

GW2 is one of the most unique MMO games, where strangely enough you & your team are punished for playing the gameAltho it says "Server is full", in its current state that can be due to only 20 players playing the game extensively & thereby getting "balanced & locked by anet". Yet 1 player cannot be in 2 places at the same time, hence it cannot really be balanced in the way the former dev thought it could. We also have map caps to help ensure a server doesnt bring thousands of players to one map, but all servers should have a larger base population, so they have the ability to roll in enough available substitutes onto a map when needed (it used to be like that, and it worked well competitively). These days a zerg can ktrain entire maps without meeting any opponents. That's hilarious, but it indicates that the servers base population is seriously waaaay to low.

All these issues give the appearance that the changes weren't implemented with care & in respect to a massive competitive game mode.They should seriously just consider rolling everything back 3-4 years, or even start everything from launch day again.

All servers should be completely reset once a year, branded with new names and players granted a free transfer when this occurs.The silly thing about "almost endlessly locked servers for no reason" (BG) is that it also makes it hard for the players to transfer out. It likes to keep you as a prisoner.

@"hugeboss.5432" said:GW2 is one of the most unique MMO games, where strangely enough you & your team are punished for playing the gameAltho it says "Server is full", in its current state that can be due to only 20 players playing the game extensively & thereby getting "balanced & locked by anet". Yet 1 player cannot be in 2 places at the same time, hence it cannot really be balanced in the way the former dev thought it could. We also have map caps to help ensure a server doesnt bring thousands of players to one map, but all servers should have a larger base population, so they have the ability to roll in enough available substitutes onto a map when needed (it used to be like that, and it worked well competitively). These days a zerg can ktrain entire maps without meeting any opponents. That's hilarious, but it indicates that the servers base population is seriously waaaay to low.

Eww, no.

When I log in to play WvW, I want to play WvW. Not wait on the back bench as a "substitute" because all the maps are full.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@"xthexxkillerx.6438" said:Third:-This is what bothers me the most and that is the over population of the servers currently. It can not be that servers to date that I publish are: "12 servers FULL, 8 servers at VERY HIGH population, 3 servers with HIGH population and only one server with MEDIUM population" (in NA where I play). For us WvW players who for some reason want to change servers, we are condemned to pay a ridiculous amount of gems just for wanting to play WvW where we want, they should leave the servers only for the population that does play WvW and leave Pve aside with PvP to their global server or some option that allows the WvW player to choose the server they want to be on and at a reasonable value.So...

WvW is overpopulated - yet at the same time there is too few players and it's dying.

Nobody want alliances due to "server pride" - but everybody wants them when they get a good link.

Anet has abandoned optimisation in large scale battles - then people praise them due for reducing lag lately by tweaking numbers.

better saying catching-22 wvw.

• "population is low and game is dying".
  • complain about any carrot introduced to bring these "pve noobs".

@"xthexxkillerx.6438" said:Second:-The clear abandonment of maps and optimization within very large battles. There are many players with low end computers that suffer when entering WvW and would rather be capturing camps than being in a 3 zerg battle in SMC. Most players prefer not to keep playing WvW because their computers don't allow them to and it is known that in every clan there is someone whose computer slows down or stops running the game normally.

This bothers me as well. I still perfer 3 zerg fights and any large/medium scale fight to roaming, but the performance does impact my enjoyement of it at times.What's worse, there were times that Anet actually did something to the performance and i could feel a tangible difference in FPS in those fights, but then another update comes a day later because (example) "fixed a bug where Dragonfall meta would start 1 second early" and the performance is back to 15FPS...

And i'm just like... HOW!?..-#$$!""???And it's not like it's WvW exclusive, PvE metas suffer from that too, but it's more noticable in WvW.

For what it's worth, try using d912pxy or DXVK. I noticed a tangible performance boost from installing those, so while it's a band aid at best, it's worth a try.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:

better saying catching-22 wvw.
  • "population is low and game is dying".
  • complain about any carrot introduced to bring these "pve noobs".

Yes, you can thank "veterans" for that i guess. People who put down roots into WvW and want it to be their special mode with their own little clique and no one else is allowed into our WvW clubhouse.

But then don't complain, you know?

It's always like:

• WvW is dying Anet do somethingthen someone suggests a rebalancing of WvW rewards to bring more people in
  • suddenly; "no, that'll attract PvE noobs, karma trains, 3 day queues, ruin WvW, we don't want PvE noobs in WvW, you should play WvW just becase, we don't need rewards"

Well, let it die then. What's the problem? The fact is, some people need rewards for their time and WvW isn't really a great carrot to chase.Now, granted, there's tons of stuff to fix before any carrot can be dangled, but still, i see a lot of that "WvW clique gatekeeping" mentality around on the forums and it doesn't make sense when they complain that no one plays their mode... :confused:Cause, fixing bugs, balance patches and performance, alliances etc., isn't going to bring any new people in. They're not staying away from WvW because the balance is whack or something like that, they won't suddenly flock to WvW because Anet introduced alliances, they're staying away because literally everything else is infinitely more rewarding of their time than playing WvW...

Also, a population increase for all maps wouldn't hurt, would make things more interesting with more people to fight, but that would of course, first require Anet to fix their "shpagetti code" everyone keeps bringing up and optimise performance for more than 5 people on screen at a time.

WvW problems go way deep, all the way to the code of the game, and until the core of the problem is fixed, WvW can't improve.Server transfers are also a spicy consistent gem meal that Anet won't easily give up, so i don't really expect anything to really improve at all.As long as Anet is making constant money off server transfers every link, they won't stop bandwagoning or limit that in any way.

@"Veprovina.4876" said:Server transfers are also a spicy consistent gem meal that Anet won't easily give up, so i don't really expect anything to really improve at all.

Their own mindset "my perfect wvw world" trap them into this.

i never had left SoS since 5years+ i started wvw. i dont care if the trend is blobbing or whatsover to force myself spend gems for a "perfect wvw match".

i Pved for 2 years++, seasons 3, 4, 5 if im not guessing wrong,,, theses guys keep complaining that wvw inst a "perfect pvp arena", is just click on pvp lobby and be happy there.