New Backpacks, Old Legendaries, and Dyes

So lately the new Gem backpacks come with their own dye channels ( = you can dye them with up to 4 dyes). The Vermillion Wings are particularly popular, and you can see so many colour varieties running around.

But could this same treatment be added retroactively to legendary backpacks? You know, the backpacks that are supposed to take the most "effort" to get? 

My character has a dark and yellow theme going on, so id love it if my ad infinitum was black, with yellow glowy details, instead of the faded blue and grey tones. Its quite challenging to make it look good when you cant customize it around your armor (instead of the other way around)..

• Like 8

When they started adding backpacks with dye channels, devs said at the time that they had no plans (or would otherwise not be able) to go back and add them to older items. Doesn't mean it'll never happen - devs do sometimes change their mind about things (putting in the effort might get more people to buy those old items, for example) - but it's unlikely to happen right now.

8 hours ago, Andovar Edoras.2143 said:

So lately the new Gem backpacks come with their own dye channels ( = you can dye them with up to 4 dyes). The Vermillion Wings are particularly popular, and you can see so many colour varieties running around.

But could this same treatment be added retroactively to legendary backpacks? You know, the backpacks that are supposed to take the most "effort" to get? 

My character has a dark and yellow theme going on, so id love it if my ad infinitum was black, with yellow glowy details, instead of the faded blue and grey tones. Its quite challenging to make it look good when you cant customize it around your armor (instead of the other way around)..

Dev's are too busy flushing fifteen years of lore and world building down the toilet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, AgentMoore.9453 said:

When they started adding backpacks with dye channels, devs said at the time that they had no plans (or would otherwise not be able) to go back and add them to older items. Doesn't mean it'll never happen - devs do sometimes change their mind about things (putting in the effort might get more people to buy those old items, for example) - but it's unlikely to happen right now.

Yeah i didnt exactly expect such a thing to happen now, but at a much later point when the game's story has concluded and we're in kind of a Maintenance mode.

And obviously I dont expect them to put it on All backpacks (that would be way too extensive and challenging), but there are only 3 Legendary backpacks. And legendaries are in a league of their own afterall.

• 2 weeks later...

I find the backpack department to be severely lacking. Please pump in designs like ice climbing backpacks, modern backpack, demonic backpacks, lumberjack backpack, fishermen's backpack, medieval inspired backpacks, witchcraft; harrypotter styled backpacks, war time backpacks, space themed backpacks, so many. This area is far from reaching its protential. Having a range of backpack will help so much in never ending fashion wars! 

Also noticed the zodiac and lantern themed bags are poorly done. I am not sure if any carries lantern or a zodiac on their backs to fight? No? 

Adding on, backpacks with color channels will be way too awesome. Make them legendaries. LOL

Edited by medivh.4725

5 hours ago, medivh.4725 said:

I find the backpack department to be severely lacking. Please pump in designs like ice climbing backpacks, modern backpack, demonic backpacks, lumberjack backpack, fishermen's backpack, medieval inspired backpacks, witchcraft; harrypotter styled backpacks, war time backpacks, space themed backpacks, so many. This area is far from reaching its protential. Having a range of backpack will help so much in never ending fashion wars! 

Also noticed the zodiac and lantern themed bags are poorly done. I am not sure if any carries lantern or a zodiac on their backs to fight? No? 

Adding on, backpacks with color channels will be way too awesome. Make them legendaries. LOL

Really?  There's currently 300+ different backpacks. 

Perhaps, a perusal of said backpacks on offer will allow the discovery of one unfamiliar.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gallery_of_back_items

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Really?  There's currently 300+ different backpacks. 

Perhaps, a perusal of said backpacks on offer will allow the discovery of one unfamiliar.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gallery_of_back_items

Much majority are not accessible. They are mostly sold with glider combo or you need to complete certain long (need I say difficult) quest.  

Its been a bottleneck to fashion wars when less then 1/3 are open from the descripted range. Fom these 1/3 many quite ugly, or just don't look like backpacks.

When searched for backpack on BLTC, the return is sad and upseting. Please Anet, bring us more backpacks, and make them dyeable where possible

Edited by medivh.4725

11 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Actually, most of those quests or collections, while indeed long, are actually easy.

One time I got bugged out of a certain 'amnoon' backpack quest recieving nothing whiles completing the quest and I never want to do another since. 

The BLTC also sells lanterns then backpacks. And gemstore not rotating. Some backpack I not even seen on offer after playing GW2 for 6 months now. 

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Charred_Back_Warmer By the way what is happening to these. Can't preview it. These still valid? Am looking through backpacks that are Avaliable.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ghost_Eater's_Hide And these? Spine guards? 

Edited by medivh.4725

1 hour ago, medivh.4725 said:

One time I got bugged out of a certain 'amnoon' backpack quest recieving nothing whiles completing the quest and I never want to do another since. 

There was a short while where you could bug out on this if you were doing PoF story with someone that made a different story choice in early chapters, and you were not the one opening the instance. That bug has been fixed long ago - and support was helping out everyone that got hit by it.

Bugs sometimes do happen, but do not confuse them for difficulty. I don't really remember anything about PoF story backpacks that was difficult.

Edited by Astralporing.1957

Still, when you search BLTC there barely decent looking backpacks in there. Versus you search for other pieces where you find pages of different ones. Backpacks are very visible piece especially so on a MMO where gamers most of time seeing back of their toons. So I hope this area don't get overlooked. 

Lots to craft (either with crafting disciplines or in the Mystic Forge).

Many to purchase from vendors.

Since, as you point out, we see the back of our characters much of the time, it makes sense that this is a cosmetic item favored by the Gem Store. 

If it's stats you want, there are plenty of in-game avenues of acquisition.

If it's cosmetics you want, keep an eye on the Gem Store and rewards offered from content.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, medivh.4725 said:

Hey the BLTC vendor over at Yak's bend hill (Wvw)

Or BLTC vendor at LA. The female char has a cute squareish backpack. May I know the link to it, and or how may I obtain it. Either as skin or backpack itself

If you cant find it in the wardrobe then its npc exclusive.

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2021 at 3:52 PM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Lots to craft (either with crafting disciplines or in the Mystic Forge).

Many to purchase from vendors.

Since, as you point out, we see the back of our characters much of the time, it makes sense that this is a cosmetic item favored by the Gem Store. 

If it's stats you want, there are plenty of in-game avenues of acquisition.

If it's cosmetics you want, keep an eye on the Gem Store and rewards offered from content.

After putting effort in unlocking as many backpacks, and maxing all crafting disclipines. I still have backpack fashion problems as many just do not match my toon. Some do not even look like wearable backpacks? So I find such designs bizarre. The range offered from BLTC is honestly very pathetic. It is said there are 300 backpacks but only like a fraction are made avaliable. Majority are on rotation. Rest are through quest unlocking. A new player would see just a small potion of backpacks out there. Yet backpacks are a major fashion piece in fashion wars 2

Edited by medivh.4725

I believe gemstore kills the glamour fun. I mean in the past legendary weapons really felt like an achievement. Now you can buy a flashy whatever for real money.

some new legendaries also look like gemstore items which makes it even worse.

like the new sword and great sword - I swear I was 100% these are just gemstore skins

Yep they could at least update some of them. Legendaries as well as Backbacks they bring back into the store.

Juggernaut as the legendary Hammer not tinting backpacks in the chrome is another sad point from a similar pov 😞

+1. As someone who's been around since 2012, seeing their stance on dyable back pieces evolving has been strange. 

If it is difficult for them to retroactively add colors to a backpack like ad, here is a solution. Create a new Ad Infinitum with dyable channels, add it to a vendor in Fractals (which would be a 1 for 1 trade for your current Ad Infinitum), and allow players to upgrade to it if they would like. Then they would make this new dyable Ad the new standard for players completing the final mystic forge step of the Ad creation.

I don't know their workspace or software they use, but as someone who does 3d modeling and coding for a living, it should be a relatively simple process. They have shown that they're very good at it with newer gem store items 🙂

This system is already in place for account bound / soulbound items such as gathering tools. 

6 hours ago, supa.8593 said:

If it is difficult for them to retroactively add colors to a backpack like ad, here is a solution. Create a new Ad Infinitum with dyable channels, add it to a vendor in Fractals (which would be a 1 for 1 trade for your current Ad Infinitum), and allow players to upgrade to it if they would like.

You missed the point. The issue is that adding a color channels to an existing backpack (no, not the specific backpack item, but the backpack model) seems to require similar amount of effort as making a new one.

6 hours ago, supa.8593 said:

Then they would make this new dyable Ad the new standard for players completing the final mystic forge step of the Ad creation.

I don't know their workspace or software they use, but as someone who does 3d modeling and coding for a living, it should be a relatively simple process.

Apparently it is not. It supposedly requires redoing all the hard stuff once again.

Basically, if they must choose between "spending" a certain amount of dev resources on doing a duplicate of already existing backpack, that they won't be able to sell to people that already bought the original version of it, and doing a completely new design, that they can sell to everyone (including people with the old backpack), it's not surprising they will most likely choose the latter over the former 99 times out of 100

• Like 1