Will EoD maps be designed with mounts in mind?

1 hour ago, kharmin.7683 said:

There is nothing requiring you from not using mounts to complete this kind of content.  If you wish to explore without using mounts, you are more than free to do so.  You can also do jumping puzzles as intended.   There is no need to force your preferred play style on the rest of the player base.

I never said that I had to impose my style, it's just what I would like to see in EoD so  it's just a personal opinion and I have already answered what you say above so I quote it again

16 hours ago, radda.8920 said:

Because the maps are mainly designed to be explorable with the current mounts.

At least that was the case for path of fire. There was almost no notion of exploration in these maps. The environments might be gigantic, it had absolutely nothing to do with the shape of the maps of HOT...

In addition, all the metas / events are finished very quickly as people come in mounts at full speed on them. So in fact all the mechanics of the game push you to use them. It's the spirit of the game before the mounts that I miss, it's not by forcing myself not to use them that it will change anything .

I guess in EoD a lot of structures will be impassable without using mounts.

But that's absolutely not a complaint. The mounts are really great in this game. I just find that it drastically detracted from the feeling of exploration. It's just my opinion, I don't impose it: p

• Like 1

On 5/26/2021 at 4:23 AM, Aodlop.1907 said:

Now I'm curious. I wonder if new players will be able to jump straight into EoD or if they'll have to get some mounts first. 

Do you think we'll go back to a more boring type of map layout just so that players that haven't played PoF aren't prevented from progressing through the new expansion?

I would anticipate that EoD will not require HoT or PoF masteries (or LWS masteries) in any capacity.

Yes the game will be tuned with those masteries in mind, knowing that players will have gliding and mounts to work with.  However, EoD will introduce a great many new players (or returning players) to GW2 and many of those players will not have the Masteries/Mounts unlocked when starting EoD.

The new player experience in EoD should push the players towards the new content, not drive them back to old content.

Unless Anet offers 'mount catch up' services in EoD, which say, replicate the Raptor and Springer acquisition quests, then I doubt we see anything that specifically requires these basic mounts at all in EoD.  Similarly for Skyscale and RollerBeetle, I doubt we see any content in EoD that requires either of these mounts at all, given that they require multiple LWS Chapters and PoF expansion, something new/returning players might not have access to when starting EOD.

I will say, require is being used in the dictionary term, not the "ultra efficient only one way to play" definition many gamers use.  Yes I am sure there will be events or locations that are much easier to access for players who have unlocked their mounts, but I am confident that there will be other methods of accessing those events or locations for all players.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I would anticipate that EoD will not require HoT or PoF masteries (or LWS masteries) in any capacity.

Yes the game will be tuned with those masteries in mind, knowing that players will have gliding and mounts to work with.  However, EoD will introduce a great many new players (or returning players) to GW2 and many of those players will not have the Masteries/Mounts unlocked when starting EoD.

The new player experience in EoD should push the players towards the new content, not drive them back to old content.

Unless Anet offers 'mount catch up' services in EoD, which say, replicate the Raptor and Springer acquisition quests, then I doubt we see anything that specifically requires these basic mounts at all in EoD.  Similarly for Skyscale and RollerBeetle, I doubt we see any content in EoD that requires either of these mounts at all, given that they require multiple LWS Chapters and PoF expansion, something new/returning players might not have access to when starting EOD.

I will say, require is being used in the dictionary term, not the "ultra efficient only one way to play" definition many gamers use.  Yes I am sure there will be events or locations that are much easier to access for players who have unlocked their mounts, but I am confident that there will be other methods of accessing those events or locations for all players.

On the flip side I hope they don't focus on some suto-movement based garbo and focus on quality of gameplay, E-specs or so on. Mounts finished the whole movement gameplay, its done and dusted. Focus on OTHER aspects of your game and bring in something truly new that new, old and continued players can all find cool. 

Because honestly, another movement set of masteries would feel redundant at this stage. 

EoD should definitely not be designed with mounts or gliding in mind.

Imagine buying EoD but not having access to PoF and therefore no mounts.

If the maps were designed around mounts, that person would not be able to complete the EoD maps.

• Like 1

If I were on Anets place I would make more mounts with different skeletons that are unlocked in Cantha  that have the same purpose and abilities  as the PoF ones, and sell more skins. Maybe even put something like you can't use mounts till you get this and that Canthan mount thing mastery collection thing.

Edited by Vancho.8750

14 hours ago, Vancho.8750 said:

If I were on Anets place I would make more mounts with different skeletons that are unlocked in Cantha  that have the same purpose and abilities  as the PoF ones, and sell more skins. Maybe even put something like you can't use mounts till you get this and that Canthan mount thing mastery collection thing.

That seems like it would be a very risky financial decision for Anet. If players have access to the same mount abilities from EoD, that would remove a huge, if not the only, incentive for most players to buy PoF (unless PoF is bundled with EoD, in which case, players would have access to mounts anyways).

Because of this, I feel like mounts would either need to be entirely optional in EoD and/or supplemented by some new player movement abilities, or by new Canthan mounts that have new movement abilities different than those of PoF mounts.

Edited by Poormany.4507
  • Like 2