Returning player - PoF/EoD editions and other question.

Hello everyone, 

I was active player since game launch till few weeks in HoT expansion. After that I dropped GW2 for other games but im considering getting back to it.

I have few questions regarding state of the game and other stuff. Ive already did some reading but theres so much information that Im lost im those woods. 

Im kinda stuck tho on edition to get with PoF.  Wanted to get PoF Ultimate edition due to special zone pass and that extra 4000 gems (I dont care about char recustom, outfit etc. as those things are minor to me).

Someone in game chat told me that it would be better to get PoF base edition and then when EoD launches to get Ultimate EoD edition. Assuming both editions will be the same (PoF Ulti vs EoD Ulti) - except outfit - is it really worth waiting for EoD ultimate or just get PoF Ultimate as Im sure it comes with that 4000 gems and special zone scroll?

Can someone tell me whats actually better?

I was considering PoF ulti due to gems as theucan get me few very important things toght now like unlimited tools etc. Im kinda worried that EoD might now have Ulti edition woth 4000 gems and thats kinda deal I dont want to pass on... 

So thats my first bump. 

Second one is that im totaly lost on whats happening. Never done fractals or raids. Are those really essential tight now to be competetive? 

What about classes? Im cureently sitting at 80 lvl guardian, necro and ranger. I always had Guardian as my main and played a lot with ranger. Are those both classes still relevant and worth playing? I know both gameplays fit me, but which one would be better now overall? I do like PvP solo, WvWvW pvp and soloPvE content. Would like yo laso do some raids eventually. 

Anyone can shed some light? 

There will likely be an End of Dragons Ultimate Edition with 4000 Gems.

What else it will include is unknown.

Fractals and Raid are optional. 

Your best bet, probably, is to continue the Story (to know what's going on).  All Living World Season Episodes (sans Season 1) are being released at no cost currently.  Make sure you log in each week for the next few months.  Many players are doing the content highlighted each week, so you will find those areas well-populated.

Fractal Rush is on right now, so there will also be lots of newcomers doing that content, as well.

As far as Professions go, it's best to play what you are most comfortable with and what you find the most fun. 

Welcome return, and good luck.

• Like 1

I cannot help you with editions, WvW or PvP.

I can reiterate that fractals and raids are optional.

Look at fractals as the replacement to the unpopular dungeons of the original game. They are also instanced, five-people content, but much smaller in scope. I recommend trying them once you thing you have your groove back on.

Raids are the most high-end PvE activity in the game. They are 10-people instance content. Look at them as the end game of the end game PvE-wise.

On 6/1/2021 at 11:33 AM, Mrowqa.3861 said:

Hello everyone.....

In no order:

The 3 professions you have leveled to 80 are viable in all content, but there will have been major reworks since you last played and as such may take some time to relearn.  As well, you may find that your builds will vary a lot between game modes, which can be a good or bad thing depending on what you like about your profession.

There is no 'required' content so you can focus on whatever you prefer, but there are a lot of good groups and guilds available (and online guides) to help you get involved in any of the content you might be interested in.

When considering the question of PoF vs EoD Ulti Edition:

The special 'save haven' areas (Lily of the Elon, Mistlock Sanctuary etc) are hubs of player activity, which unfortunately means they take longer to load and have lower FPS/increase lag due to many people being in the same place.  I would contend that when EoD drops, less players will be in Lily of the Elon making it more accessible, and at the same time, the safe haven for EoD will potentially be overwhelmed by everyone who bought the Ulti pack.  However, that assumes that they will add an EoD safe haven and that they will install it the same way the others have been.

I did buy the PoF Ulti edition last year, and did so under the premise that I was going to spend 50$ on the 4000 gems anyway to buy a few things as I got back into the game .  Standard Edition + 50$ = same price as Ulti, so suddenly you are just getting the outfit, char slot, repair kit and passkey for free with your expansion and gem purchase.  Looking at it that way made more sense to me and perhaps that is intentional in the product tiers.

If you aren't sure you can always go back later and buy the Path of Fire Deluxe Upgrade from the in game Gem Store.  This is usually 2400 gems (30$) but has gone on sale over the last few years at 25% - 50% off.  The advantage other than opportunity to buy it on sale is, you can convert Gold to Gems and purchase the upgrade that way as well saving you real world money.

As there is no sub in this game and I have had many hours of enjoyment from it, I am already planning on buying whatever the Ultimate edition for EoD will be, and possible some of the preparation packs if they offer some good stuff.  Spending 100$ every year or two on a single game seems okay to me.

Edited by Mungo Zen.9364

The main reason for getting the ultimate editions is the 50% discount on the gems it includes. However this only really makes sense if you are someone who would normally buy gems otherwise you are still spending more money than you normally would. It is discounted but you would be essentially overspending.

The lily of the elon pass is not very useful IMO. I have it but it just sits in the inventory of one of my characters collecting dust. I do have the mistlock sanctuary pass. Getting to the desert is a negligible benefit. After finishing the PoF story on one character you get a gizmo that will teleport you to Vabbi. Alternatively you can join a guild that has the PoF guild hall and get to the desert that way. Another alternative is to get the recharging teleport to friend(or just use the free ones the game gives for various things). The recharging ones have other uses too.

On 6/1/2021 at 7:33 PM, Mrowqa.3861 said:

Im kinda stuck tho on edition to get with PoF.  Wanted to get PoF Ultimate edition due to special zone pass and that extra 4000 gems (I dont care about char recustom, outfit etc. as those things are minor to me).

Someone in game chat told me that it would be better to get PoF base edition and then when EoD launches to get Ultimate EoD edition. Assuming both editions will be the same (PoF Ulti vs EoD Ulti) - except outfit - is it really worth waiting for EoD ultimate or just get PoF Ultimate as Im sure it comes with that 4000 gems and special zone scroll?

Can someone tell me whats actually better?

I was considering PoF ulti due to gems as theucan get me few very important things toght now like unlimited tools etc. Im kinda worried that EoD might now have Ulti edition woth 4000 gems and thats kinda deal I dont want to pass on... 

So thats my first bump. 

We don't know anything about EoD versions yet. It's likely there will be a deluxe and an ultimate edition, because both HoT and PoF had those (the base game had a deluxe edition and physical collectors edition but not ultimate). But we don't know what will be included. The HoT ultimate edition came with a character slot, miniature, finisher, glider skin, guild hall decoration and 4,000 gems so it was quite different from what the PoF one includes and EoD might be different again.

Another thing to consider is whether the Lily of the Elon pass is a good choice for you. It does not unlock any extra content. The exclusive area is one of the lounges; a small town on a raft near the start of the first PoF map. It's convenient because it's got all the services from a base game city close together and you can teleport there from anywhere, which also gives a quick way to get characters (even ones below level 80) to the desert maps without doing the story but it's not the only way to get to the desert quickly or the only place to find those services and it's not the only lounge. I have it and find it useful but you should know there's other options.

Finally just remember this is not your only chance to get any of these things. Gems can be bought at any time. If you buy the standard version of PoF then want the extra items later you can buy the deluxe edition upgrade from the gem store. Other lounge passes can be bought for 1,000 gems each. If you're willing and able to spend the money you could get PoF Ultimate and EoD Ultimate later on. (And it's very likely that after release there will be an EoD Deluxe upgrade with the extra items in the gem store so if you just buy the standard version you could get them later.)

Of course you should think about which is the best choice for you, but if you change your mind later on you will be able to buy the stuff you didn't get.

(If I was you I'd buy PoF Ultimate, because sooner or later I'd buy 4,000 gems anyway and if you subtract the cost of the gems it's only a little bit more expensive than the standard edition. Then I'd decide which version of EoD, if any, I want to buy once those are announced. Maybe I'd get the ultimate edition if it's worth it, maybe just the standard one if I don't want the other stuff. Maybe the announcement will make it sound terrible and I won't want it at all. There's no way to know now.)

On 6/1/2021 at 7:33 PM, Mrowqa.3861 said:

Second one is that im totaly lost on whats happening. Never done fractals or raids. Are those really essential tight now to be competetive? 

Both Fractals and Raids are optional. They're instanced areas for groups of players and are designed to be harder than most of the PvE content, but they don't give you any essential equipment or skills you can't get from other places.

The whole game is designed around horizontal progression, where you're not constantly chasing new stats and instead can focus on playing what you want and dressing up your character. Fractals and raids are a good source of ascended (top tier) equipment, but you can get the same equipment from other places (including crafting it yourself). There are also several cosmetic items, titles etc. which only come from those areas but they don't do anything useful so you don't need them unless you like how they look.

Finally there are masteries associated with both but they only work in those areas so you don't need them unless you're playing those modes a lot. For example the Fractal masteries give you slightly better rewards from playing Fractals, but they don't work anywhere else so unless you're doing Fractals a lot they're useless.

Thanks everyone for help. Ive gone for PoF ultimate edition as I would buy those gems anyway. Also the lily pass is great. 

I dont usually care for other stuff tho full makeover kit os nice. 

Ill probably buy base/deluxe EoD edition as it launches. 

Edited by Mrowqa.3861