Input lag?

I have a powerful computer and a good internet connection yet in fights with anymore than one enemy my keyboard becomes very unresponsive.  When I die in the game it is very rarely my fault, it's simply because I can't fire of any skill or attack..  The same goes with movement, I press dodge and nothing.  I have to spam the keys like crazy to get anything  to work.  It's beyond annoying.

Anyone know of any fixes or is it down to the game engine being poorly optimized?

• Like 2

Hard to say what is actually happening without details and possibly a video. Skills do not activate at the speed of button presses. They have precast(sometimes), activation time(except instant skills), aftercast(sometimes). Some skills can also be cancelled if you try to use a different skill in the middle of its activation.

On the other hand if you have issues with movement and dodging then that probably and entirely different issue. Movement is handled client side so connection is not relevant. Never hand any issue with input lag even while running 2x Guild War 2 instances and a Genshin Impact at the same time. I am not using a particularly powerful system either. Just a Ryzen 5 1600

Also no matter how powerful a system is, everything still has its limits. No matter how powerful a system might be, if resources are maxed out then they are maxed out. It just takes more things to max out a more powerful system.

"Good internet connection" is also not really something you can just declare as that depends on the current condition of the route. Even geographic proximity to the servers it not a guaranteed. Back when I was on an EU server there were times when the German players were having issues but I did not despite the fact that EU servers are in Germany. It seemed like it was mostly affecting people in the northern part of Germany while my connection from the US usually goes through London or Paris so that should be approach from the east.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Skills do not activate at the speed of button presses. They have precast(sometimes), activation time(except instant skills), aftercast(sometimes). Some skills can also be cancelled if you try to use a different skill in the middle of its activation.

You make some excellent points. I assumed when people were talking about input latency, they aren't brand new players and are aware of how long it takes to activate skills normally, and are finding a huge delay now. For instance, it doesn't (or shouldn't) take 15 seconds after pressing "x" to mount your skyscale. Only recently, sometimes it does.

As you say, it's very hard to pinpoint these things without actual usability testing providing consistent results, but it seems there are a whole bunch of people with new complaints in this area. The most likely common denominator being Anet's servers. That doesn't, of course, mean Anet is the cause of the problem, but given how often I'm seeing this complaint just recently, it seems at least possible.

Are you useing wifi or cable connect?

Cable conntect is better.

Have it been a long time since you factory reset your router?

That can help aswell.

A guild mate had problems dc alot in raids he restarted router still kept happening.

After afew weeks he did a factory reset of said router and no more dc happening.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Joote.4081 said:

I have a powerful computer and a good internet connection yet in fights with anymore than one enemy my keyboard becomes very unresponsive.  When I die in the game it is very rarely my fault, it's simply because I can't fire of any skill or attack..  The same goes with movement, I press dodge and nothing.  I have to spam the keys like crazy to get anything  to work.  It's beyond annoying.

Anyone know of any fixes or is it down to the game engine being poorly optimized?

I have noticed serveral occasions of server lag today as well (EU), including skill use, opening of Strike Mission chests and other things. It is likely not you.

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Are you useing wifi or cable connect?

Cable conntect is better.

Have it been a long time since you factory reset your router?

That can help aswell.

A guild mate had problems dc alot in raids he restarted router still kept happening.

After afew weeks he did a factory reset of said router and no more dc happening.

This is something I have not tried yet.  I have reset it but never factory reset.  I shall give that a try.

23 hours ago, Joote.4081 said:

Powerful computer means nothing, what are the specs?

Do you have video of the issue?

Have you checked CPU/GPU load and temps?

What is your ping to the GW2 servers? Have you monitored this while playing?

Are you running any 3rd party addons? Such as d9pxy?

20 hours ago, TinkTinkPOOF.9201 said:

Powerful computer means nothing, what are the specs?

Do you have video of the issue?

Have you checked CPU/GPU load and temps?

What is your ping to the GW2 servers? Have you monitored this while playing?

Are you running any 3rd party addons? Such as d9pxy?

No visual issues running @100fps

Load temps are excellent never really getting over 55c

Ping is usually around the 40 mark.

No 3rd party software.

I am resetting the router today.

Edited by Joote.4081

1 hour ago, Grytpype.9813 said:

I posted about this the other day in another thread. From being completely without issue, since last friday (for me at least) GW2 has had small input delay, huge lag spikes and d/cs.

What I've noticed about the input delay issue, at least in my case, is that everything around me seems to still be running smoothly, including updated player positions, hit bars, etc. So if this is a network issue, it appears to be oddly one-way. I'm running on a machine with decent specs, updated drivers, wired network connections and input devices. (if anyone feels a hardware issue might be the culprit, I can offer more details than "decent specs").

Other latent behaviors I have noticed recently - but never experienced before - are mount skins reverting to default for a lengthy period of time on new maps, and going to soulbeast mode occasionally causes the game to freeze up for just a second or so.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced the last two.

7 hours ago, Danger Ferret.6342 said:

What I've noticed about the input delay issue, at least in my case, is that everything around me seems to still be running smoothly, including updated player positions, hit bars, etc. So if this is a network issue, it appears to be oddly one-way. I'm running on a machine with decent specs, updated drivers, wired network connections and input devices. (if anyone feels a hardware issue might be the culprit, I can offer more details than "decent specs").

Other latent behaviors I have noticed recently - but never experienced before - are mount skins reverting to default for a lengthy period of time on new maps, and going to soulbeast mode occasionally causes the game to freeze up for just a second or so.

I don't know if anyone else has experienced the last two.

This is exactly what is happening to me.  Everyone and thing around me is running butter smooth while I seem to have been forgotten.  Key and mouse become unresponsive and my character seems to be walking in mud.  Another thing that has happened when in a party is that my party could have left the area a while before my computer catches up meaning that one minute they are there the next they are half way across the map and I have to try and catch up.

When changing character skins there is a second were I am naked.  Changing my mount can take several key presses before it responds.

This problem has always been there to some extent but recently has become a lot worse.  I think it's something introduced in the last few patches or the EU server is slowly breaking down.

I factory reset my router but it doesn't seem to have solved the problem.

Edited by Joote.4081

On 6/8/2021 at 12:59 AM, Joote.4081 said:

Another thing that has happened when in a party is that my party could have left the area a while before my computer catches up meaning that one minute they are there the next they are half way across the map and I have to try and catch up.

That is actually not too difficult to explain with packet loss.

Low latency combined with high packet loss can probably result in some very weird experiences. Such as nothing happening followed by an explosion of activity as all the previously sent data gets processed and rendered by the client .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

That is actually not too difficult to explain with packet loss.

Low latency combined with high packet loss can probably result in some very weird experiences. Such as nothing happening followed by an explosion of activity as all the previously sent data gets processed and rendered by the client .

Yes, and particle emitters, too. Nothing slows down a game faster than particle emitters, since it's more than just UDP information being transmitted; it's code running on the user's system to generate them. Put a whole bunch of players together, and it's particle insanity. I'm pretty sure (though I'm not logged in at the moment and can't check) there is a way to disable particles in the options. Not that this is an optimal solution, but it's something a user can do to rule it out as a possible cause. A sudden surge of particles can definitely look like packet loss. Of course the problem could be packet loss as well, but it's worth checking.

2 hours ago, Danger Ferret.6342 said:

Yes, and particle emitters, too. Nothing slows down a game faster than particle emitters, since it's more than just UDP information being transmitted; it's code running on the user's system to generate them. Put a whole bunch of players together, and it's particle insanity. I'm pretty sure (though I'm not logged in at the moment and can't check) there is a way to disable particles in the options. Not that this is an optimal solution, but it's something a user can do to rule it out as a possible cause. A sudden surge of particles can definitely look like packet loss. Of course the problem could be packet loss as well, but it's worth checking.

Particles should be irrelevant

It would be incredibly stupid to transmit the movement of every particle. It would impact render speed but nothing network related.

That is one of the biggest problems every time people talk about lag/latency. Input lag is separate from render lag(except in game engines where reading player inputs is linked to FPS) which is separate from network which is separate from server.  Trying to determine which of them is the cause can be tricky but lumping all of them together by default is not helpful either.

2 hours ago, Khisanth.2948 said:

Particles should be irrelevant

It would be incredibly stupid to transmit the movement of every particle. It would impact render speed but nothing network related.

That is one of the biggest problems every time people talk about lag/latency. Input lag is separate from render lag(except in game engines where reading player inputs is linked to FPS) which is separate from network which is separate from server.  Trying to determine which of them is the cause can be tricky but lumping all of them together by default is not helpful either.

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. An overabundance of particles can absolutely cause symptoms that behave like lag. It's never a good idea to dismiss something that a user could try to see if performance improves as "irrelevant" out of hand before even trying. Might not be the solution, but until it's ruled out, why dismiss it?

You may have misunderstood what I intended to convey, which is that particles can produce latency because having 100 particle emitters running on one's system can drastically reduce framerate.

The problem the OP is having may very well be a network problem, but it might not be. After 3 decades as a qa analyst and dev, I've learned to pursue all avenues under my control first, allowing me to hone in on whatever is left. Your mileage may vary, of course.

13 hours ago, Danger Ferret.6342 said:

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. An overabundance of particles can absolutely cause symptoms that behave like lag. It's never a good idea to dismiss something that a user could try to see if performance improves as "irrelevant" out of hand before even trying. Might not be the solution, but until it's ruled out, why dismiss it?

You may have misunderstood what I intended to convey, which is that particles can produce latency because having 100 particle emitters running on one's system can drastically reduce framerate.

The problem the OP is having may very well be a network problem, but it might not be. After 3 decades as a qa analyst and dev, I've learned to pursue all avenues under my control first, allowing me to hone in on whatever is left. Your mileage may vary, of course.

I did misread what you said because of mentioning particles and UDP data but the symptoms do not sound like render lag. Especially when OP is running at 100 fps.

However descriptions are also not very useful. A video of the problem would be better.  Ideally it would be a video from something like a phone rather than screen recording software since the recording software can cause additional interference

If dodges lag then not GW2 but the client is the issue. The way they are computed, they can not lag.

If there is a connection issue, then you can dodge infinite times until your PC was able to send a data package that your endurance is consumed. (Side Note: You can not "cheat" with this as without a connection your whole game will not be updated making it impossible to progress in your actual content.)

Skills work different and won't be executed until a stable connection to the server is present. So they will lag for the amount of ping you have.

• 3 months later...
On 6/5/2021 at 2:00 PM, Joote.4081 said:

Thank you for this post. I almost thought I was going crazy.
I have pretty similar issues with skills / dodges not activating. Usually moving still works fine.
FPS are constantly over 140, ping around 20ms Avg.

I've tried a lot of stuff already (new keyboard, changing settings, etc.) even peer checked it with my buddy. Nothing helped so far.

Also one of the "ideas" we had was that it could be due to me using the "Action Cam". But even when I tried with the standard cam, the same issues happened again.

So I hope ANet sees this and tells us what to do so this technical issue can be fixed.

Edited by xaendark.1346

i have huge input delays atm and ping sometimes spiking from 30-50 ( my normal ping ) up to 600-800 ping, this is very impactful playing WvW, literally feels like everything is delayed and rubberbanding. im connecting from northrend europe, my internet is stable and fine and i have no issues elsewhere than in gw2 atm.

Edit : this occurance started from today, yesterday and the days before been just fine .

Edited by Noobondrugs.8320