Core Ele for WvW

Yeah, I want to punish myself and suffer a bit...

So far I've come up with a setup but it's not from an expert so better ask the experts.

Simple, I want a Core Ele power build, be it Dagger/Dagger, Dagger/ Focus or whatever, that's not Fresh Air Focused.

Ideas about armor, runes, sigil as well please. Any build I've found online is outdated by a long shot. Only idea I has so far was cantrips/arcane with elite playing between the options, but I didn't want unbuffed skills (from traits) cause I'm a noob in Ele I guess.

I leave myself and my 2012 desire in your hands, skilled Elementalist connoisseurs.

I recently found myself running a Core D/D Build with Marauder Weapons, Beserker Gear and Crusader Trinkets. Used Dura runes and a typical Fire/Water/Arcane build. I still found my attacks hitting between 500-900 with the occasional 2000 on Fire Grab if it didn't wiff and actually hit a burning opponent. Thats without it criting, anyway, because getting precision above 50% without fury is pretty much not possible on Core Ele. I had some fun 1v1 and outnumbered fights. But truth be told, you can't outdamage many of the new specs  and their sustain, and with the meta in WvW being more skewed to condi for small scale you won't be seeing high numbers. Long fights with no pay off is incredibly dull.

I ran into a good Core Ele who ran an Dagger/focus Air LR build with Fire for condi cleanse and Arcane. Watched him 1v1 and win against a Condi Rev back when it was ricidulously broken. But the build had the same problem...  it ran a mix of Beserker and Celestial with Pack runes (iirc) and still the damage was sub-pair.

There is no reason to run Core Ele in WvW. It's gone the same way as Core Engineer, the elite specs just do everything so much better no amount of theory crafting is going to save it from the trash pile. And I say this as someone who continued to main D/D up until last year. If you're new to Ele, save yourself the trouble and learn Weaver. If you already have a lot of experience on Ele, then honestly you should know this stuff already. I apologize this sounds really negative but I literally just signed off the game 2v1ing a condi thief and warrior on my core ele and was unable to finish then.. swap to weaver and face rolled.

If you still want to use Dagger, run a Dagger/Focus LR Weaver. If not, then... join us in waiting for the next elite spec. With any luck, daggers will be cool again with a ninja-like spec.

EDIT: So as to not appear completely unhelpful this is the build I ran: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAgilZw6YesNGJOyTXLNA-zRhYBhVFEWYQniRDcCCcA-e

Don't underestimate the Pet in 1v1. Fire hits like a truck, Air tracks and Water can full heal you.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

I recently found myself running a Core D/D Build with Marauder Weapons, Beserker Gear and Crusader Trinkets. Used Dura runes and a typical Fire/Water/Arcane build. I still found my attacks hitting between 500-900 with the occasional 2000 on Fire Grab if it didn't wiff and actually hit a burning opponent. Thats without it criting, anyway, because getting precision above 50% without fury is pretty much not possible on Core Ele. I had some fun 1v1 and outnumbered fights. But truth be told, you can't outdamage many of the new specs  and their sustain, and with the meta in WvW being more skewed to condi for small scale you won't be seeing high numbers. Long fights with no pay off is incredibly dull.

I ran into a good Core Ele who ran an Dagger/focus Air LR build with Fire for condi cleanse and Arcane. Watched him 1v1 and win against a Condi Rev back when it was ricidulously broken. But the build had the same problem...  it ran a mix of Beserker and Celestial with Pack runes (iirc) and still the damage was sub-pair.

There is no reason to run Core Ele in WvW. It's gone the same way as Core Engineer, the elite specs just do everything so much better no amount of theory crafting is going to save it from the trash pile. And I say this as someone who continued to main D/D up until last year. If you're new to Ele, save yourself the trouble and learn Weaver. If you already have a lot of experience on Ele, then honestly you should know this stuff already. I apologize this sounds really negative but I literally just signed off the game 2v1ing a condi thief and warrior on my core ele and was unable to finish then.. swap to weaver and face rolled.

If you still want to use Dagger, run a Dagger/Focus LR Weaver. If not, then... join us in waiting for the next elite spec. With any luck, daggers will be cool again with a ninja-like spec.

Understandable points. 

But dw, that's the point. Subpar dmg, but still getting the kills. I can by no means outplay people like that, but it's rly boring running especs all around the place. Had this epiphany and wanted to run core stuff. Ele, Thief, Warrior, Engi, Rev. 

Its those little things that keep me invested. 

With core ele you essentially trade off the weaver traitline for arcane unless you are trying to be a subpar support. It means you miss quite a bit of precision on top of the loss of all dual attacks.

I would just run Fire+Air+Arcane staff elementalist similar to older times. It used to be taking water would have been worth it for the condi clear and the small heal on weapon swap. However scrappers , tempests, and firebrands have that covered so there is no point in running water unless you can pump out auras.

Probably something akin to http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGQAYlNw8YisO2JO6KbrdA-zVJYiRBfZkZCURBYyBQgW2AWzFW2A-w

Eagle runes  are necessary for decent crit chance. If you play almost always in range of a structure with +100 precision it would be more or less 100% crit chance.

If you mean roaming, then I would not suggest running core elementalist at all since you would be locked onto a single weapon once in combat , dagger+dagger is more or less a death sentence against a power soulbeast, power reaper, power holo, power herald, power spellbreaker, any thief, etc.

Edited by Infusion.7149

14 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Understandable points. 

But dw, that's the point. Subpar dmg, but still getting the kills. I can by no means outplay people like that, but it's rly boring running especs all around the place. Had this epiphany and wanted to run core stuff. Ele, Thief, Warrior, Engi, Rev. 

Its those little things that keep me invested. 

If you insist on suffering 😅 ! I added my build to my original post. For all its faults, I find it very fun and as long as you're not fighting someone like a Deadeye its not bad. You don't need to run Celestial on Core Ele to survive if you have Dura runes, so it might be worth a look as long as you're okay with running 15k HP. Celestial is safe, but way too slow unless you're pumping out the burns like Sword Weaver can.

EDIT: Actually, forgot my sigils. Battle and Energy. Legendary daggers can swap in Poison and Cleansing for certain 1v1s.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295

The scariest core Ele i have come across recently was either hybrid LR or full power LR d/f. Assuming Fire/Air/Arcane. Good spike damage. When I fight core cele d/d Eles, they can be pretty strong in 1v1, but it is rare that I actually feel threatened by them as I can always just disengage from them rather easily. The power spikes from that Ele were actually legit scary though, and I had to play very cautiously. Definitely felt like more of a threat even though it probably dies a lot more often. I wanna say they ran Lightning Flash, Mist Form, and Earth Shield. 

For PvP you can use a LR build: avatar/marauder amulet, water/arcane/air with cantrips and the conjured hammer or shield. It works "okai" but you won't go far with it.

For WvW, hard to find a build really viable, with mobility, sustain and dps, synergy ... Weaver is just so much better in any regard and tempest has also its own design with more tools for roaming and support.

3 hours ago, Zhaid Zhem.6508 said:

For PvP you can use a LR build: avatar/marauder amulet, water/arcane/air with cantrips and the conjured hammer or shield. It works "okai" but you won't go far with it.

For WvW, hard to find a build really viable, with mobility, sustain and dps, synergy ... Weaver is just so much better in any regard and tempest has also its own design with more tools for roaming and support.

That's funny. I was trying to imagine a core build last night and that is exactly what I came up with.  I couldn't decide on hammer, shield, or both...both seemed the risky method because I'd be running lightning flash as my only save outside of shield.  But it seemed like it should have solid healing, cleansing, and mobility and would be extremely disruptive with constant CC and weakness application. 

What are your thoughts on celestial paired with aristocracy runes for WvW on a build like this?

Shield is more an utility weapon. For the dash, for the pull,  the magnetic aura, the bulkiness etc.  IMO it's better with offensive amulets/gear to temporize or pull them to chain with dual attack air overload etc.

If you play full celestial, LR isn't enough to make damage and the shield won't do anything more. You want to hammer.

About runes of aristocracy. Already tried, already thrown in trash.

You don't have that much weakness, you're not sure neither to apply it as people can dodge, use stab etc, the mights don't last long even  with the +50% duration plus you still want mights from others sources like sigils. So it's just the runes of strenght but for condi, better run strenght, or pack/firework.

21 hours ago, FrownyClown.8402 said:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAgilZw4YesO2JOeTVLNA-zxIY1oh/MyUB0rEQyzSVmRA-e

Traits and rune can be adjusted to preference. Cele is good on core right now as long as you can maintain might. The only thing that kills me solo roaming is a condi bomb with immobalize, so keep condi removal as high as you need it.

Yup, same rules as peak DD Core Ele: as long as you can keep moving you'll generally only die to your own greed. I'll try power overwhelming sometime soon, but I run nearly this exact build. In a smaller group the aoe heals, clears, and CC chain together really well to enable teammates. The burns stay on longer thanks to condition duration prolonging the burns and the other condi's to cover them. Combined with a modest power burst I think this build has decent pressure to capitalize on the CC.

I may experiment with removing some cele, but full cele with antitoxin is working surprisingly well. Leaves room for spiteful amounts of condi removal using Smothering Auras too.

• 1 month later...

So I wanted to bumb this thread once more. 

I have learned out how DD plays quite well. 

So I wanted opinions on this build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAgilZw4YesN2Je+SlrPA-zVRYRB59GUIA-w

See I debate whether running earth shield will be better instead of stab due to the reflect. But then, perhaps I should swap earth or water for fire and the conjure trait? Assuming I keep FGS with the shield. 

Edit: gear used a mix of Marauder and berserker with valkyrie backpiece and ring. Durab rune. 

Can use a set with Marauder assassin stats with eagle rune but it's super glass. 

Edited by Grand Marshal.4098

Swap earth with fire and run cleanse instead of aura share while solo. You could run earth shield if you really want to. Personally i dont think its worth running unless you run air or holding a point. Just run celestial with antitoxin runes. You get op cleansing, decent healing and toughness and stacking 20+ might isnt super hard. Its prob your best option running core atm. Running straight power you will run into problems with pressuring enemies with damage. You could run a power build with tempest and fresh air since damage is more consistent.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

So I wanted to bumb this thread once more. 

I have learned out how DD plays quite well. 

So I wanted opinions on this build http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PGgAgilZw4YesN2Je+SlrPA-zVRYRB59GUIA-w

See I debate whether running earth shield will be better instead of stab due to the reflect. But then, perhaps I should swap earth or water for fire and the conjure trait? Assuming I keep FGS with the shield. 

Edit: gear used a mix of Marauder and berserker with valkyrie backpiece and ring. Durab rune. 

Can use a set with Marauder assassin stats with eagle rune but it's super glass. 

I don't really see Earth Shield used seriously outside of Lightening Rod focused builds. Its an alright option to slot in but rarely is it ever the game changer in most duels. I also think that AoE is better than Earth Shield because its your only stun break right now. If you want an alternative to AoE try Arcane Shield. You really do need a stun break though since core Ele lacks the build in defense of barrier and evades that Weaver has.

Diamond Skin is a really bad condi removal skill because its contradictory to how Ele wants to play. Rewarding the squishiest class for taking damage but also punishing them if they take damage. Like Frowny said, drop the Powerful Aura for Cleansing Water, Powerful Aura is only useful if you're running in a group and more support focused.

EDIT: If you do pick up Cleansing Water, you can instead drop Cleansing Fire for Earth Shield and keep both your stun break and your Shield. Also, another option if you want to keep AoE and need a reflect: consider using Focus. Focus is much better as anti-projectial than Earth Shield.

I also wouldn't suggest running Earth for an offensive Core Ele build. Even though Earth has some decent defense options, you just have no damage at all if you run Water/Earth. You have to pick one or the other if you're running offensive, and water is overall better. Instead you should have Fire (for a more well rounded build) or Air (for more single target damage).

For your gear, it seems strange you're using Condi focused trinkets with Power focused weapons and armor and a defensive rune set. I added in full marauder gear and weapons with the Dura runes and right now you sit at 2,400~ toughness and 1500~ power. My build I linked earlier has 2,600 toughness and 2300 power despite running arguably more offensive gear set. I really think for what you're trying to do, Celestial Gear is the best way to go. It hits all the bases Ele needs and can still be effective. 

Also, I've tried Eagle runes so many times... they always kinda suck. I think Pack and Firework Runes are honestly better with their Fury procs rather than using a Precision rune imo. Basically, you're noticing the problem with Core Ele, it lacks in every department so unless you try a well rounded approach, you're only going to make a bad situation worse.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295

1 hour ago, fuzzyp.6295 said:

I don't really see Earth Shield used seriously outside of Lightening Rod focused builds. Its an alright option to slot in but rarely is it ever the game changer in most duels. I also think that AoE is better than Earth Shield because its your only stun break right now. If you want an alternative to AoE try Arcane Shield. You really do need a stun break though since core Ele lacks the build in defense of barrier and evades that Weaver has.

Diamond Skin is a really bad condi removal skill because its contradictory to how Ele wants to play. Rewarding the squishiest class for taking damage but also punishing them if they take damage. Like Frowny said, drop the Powerful Aura for Cleansing Water, Powerful Aura is only useful if you're running in a group and more support focused.

Mhm agreed on the stunbreak. As for diamon skin, ig the other viable option is stone heart? As for cleansing water will do. I thought it was an ally-only thing, but I give loads of regen to myself anyway so the cleanse works on me too right?

EDIT: If you do pick up Cleansing Water, you can instead drop Cleansing Fire for Earth Shield and keep both your stun break and your Shield. Also, another option if you want to keep AoE and need a reflect: consider using Focus. Focus is much better as anti-projectial than Earth Shield.

I also wouldn't suggest running Earth for an offensive Core Ele build. Even though Earth has some decent defense options, you just have no damage at all if you run Water/Earth. You have to pick one or the other if you're running offensive, and water is overall better. Instead you should have Fire (for a more well rounded build) or Air (for more single target damage).

For your gear, it seems strange you're using Condi focused trinkets with Power focused weapons and armor and a defensive rune set. I added in full marauder gear and weapons with the Dura runes and right now you sit at 2,400~ toughness and 1500~ power. My build I linked earlier has 2,600 toughness and 2300 power despite running arguably more offensive gear set. I really think for what you're trying to do, Celestial Gear is the best way to go. It hits all the bases Ele needs and can still be effective. 

Also, I've tried Eagle runes so many times... they always kinda suck. I think Pack and Firework Runes are honestly better with their Fury procs rather than using a Precision rune imo. Basically, you're noticing the problem with Core Ele, it lacks in every department so unless you try a well rounded approach, you're only going to make a bad situation worse.

1) Yeah focus is overall superior, that's what I've come to realize myself. I just rly wanted to run double dagger. Was being stubborn lmao

2) I have managed to kill several foes with this build, but kitten is my dmg lacking truly. I just wanted to incorporate earth into a build cause I haven't rly used it. Arcane is mandatory and the other slot probably goes to water, fire, or air. But I must admit, I am quite tanky.

3) Gear existed there from b4 lmao. It's not the one I am using. I use marauder with some zerker and valkyrie, durab runes

4) Yup I found out as much too

Thank you for the assistance!1

49 minutes ago, Grand Marshal.4098 said:

Mhm agreed on the stunbreak. As for diamon skin, ig the other viable option is stone heart? As for cleansing water will do. I thought it was an ally-only thing, but I give loads of regen to myself anyway so the cleanse works on me too right?

1) Yeah focus is overall superior, that's what I've come to realize myself. I just rly wanted to run double dagger. Was being stubborn lmao

2) I have managed to kill several foes with this build, but kitten is my dmg lacking truly. I just wanted to incorporate earth into a build cause I haven't rly used it. Arcane is mandatory and the other slot probably goes to water, fire, or air. But I must admit, I am quite tanky.

3) Gear existed there from b4 lmao. It's not the one I am using. I use marauder with some zerker and valkyrie, durab runes

4) Yup I found out as much too

Thank you for the assistance!1

Oh okay good to know about the armor. Celestial is still a great armor type to run on Elementalist, Core included, so it still might be worth looking into as you branch out in your time playing Ele.

If you're really set on running the Earth trait line, Diamond Skin is better to take but only if you're not going to take Water. Cleansing Water's cleanse will apply to anyone who you give regen too, that includes yourself. Its part of why Elementalist has traditionally had some of the best condi cleanse in the game. There is also no ICD on this cleanse so you can constantly apply it. If you're running Earth/Water, you should take Stone Heart. That at the very least gives you some good protection when attuned to Earth which should afford you to run a bit more glassy. Just be careful because any player worth their salt will just save their burst until you attune out of Earth... its really only good as an escape option. Or for heal tempests.

Using Earth in an offensive build is just not really a good idea. It offers no power bonuses and the condi bonuses it offers are just decent at best (at least for WvW).  Fire is better in pretty much every way. Fire offers stronger condis through added burn and might, stronger condi cleanse with smothering auras, a strong self sustain skill if you take blinding ashes, or some of the best might generation in the game. Earth just offers some damage reduction with an solidly "meh" condi cleanse that is reliant on your opponent. Since you find yourself tanky enough as it is, I would say drop it and see how running Fire or Air feels. If you really feel Earth fits your playstyle and you enjoy it, then do what brings you the most joy!

I miss using Dagger but after since they took away Arcane Fury which hurt Fire Grabs effectiveness and changed how Updraft works, there is really nothing worth taking on /D outside of RtL. I guess Earthquake is fun but Focus has better CC on it so... I still love running offhand dagger though.

Glad to help.

Edited by fuzzyp.6295

Oh okay good to know about the armor. Celestial is still a great armor type to run on Elementalist, Core included, so it still might be worth looking into as you branch out in your time playing Ele.

If you're really set on running the Earth trait line, Diamond Skin is better to take but only if you're not going to take Water. Cleansing Water's cleanse will apply to anyone who you give regen too, that includes yourself. Its part of why Elementalist has traditionally had some of the best condi cleanse in the game. There is also no ICD on this cleanse so you can constantly apply it. If you're running Earth/Water, you should take Stone Heart. That at the very least gives you some good protection when attuned to Earth which should afford you to run a bit more glassy. Just be careful because any player worth their salt will just save their burst until you attune out of Earth... its really only good as an escape option. Or for heal tempests.

Using Earth in an offensive build is just not really a good idea. It offers no power bonuses and the condi bonuses it offers are just decent at best (at least for WvW).  Fire is better in pretty much every way. Fire offers stronger condis through added burn and might, stronger condi cleanse with smothering auras, a strong self sustain skill if you take blinding ashes, or some of the best might generation in the game. Earth just offers some damage reduction with an solidly "meh" condi cleanse that is reliant on your opponent. Since you find yourself tanky enough as it is, I would say drop it and see how running Fire or Air feels. If you really feel Earth fits your playstyle and you enjoy it, then do what brings you the most joy!

I miss using Dagger but after since they took away Arcane Fury which hurt Fire Grabs effectiveness and changed how Updraft works, there is really nothing worth taking on /D outside of RtL. I guess Earthquake is fun but Focus has better CC on it so... I still love running offhand dagger though.

Glad to help.

You make a good point there not gonna lie. I'll probably swap earth for fire as you instructed me. Since sustain is similar and damage is greater with fire, perhaps I'll perform better. 

Other than that, I find the protection access on Earth quite useful. Maybe Earth/Fire/Arcane can also work? What's your personal experience there? 

Thankfully I got a focus already so I can swap out a template at any moment. 

I find Core ele very hard to justified use for melee builds when you have tempest who gets more stun brakes or weaver who gets barrier effects as well as free states.

The best thing core ele can pull off is being able to take advantages of arcain roots / Condi dmg with out giving up a full dps line both tempest and weaver lose a dps line for such an effect (all though they tend to have a lot of that dmg build into there lines but no cdr for that dps atument.)

I'll be making two core ele build videos soon but in the meantime here's the main one I've been using if you're interested in trying it out. Works surprisingly well.

Water 131

Earth 112

Arcane 121 (or 123 - up to you but you don't rly need the dodge trait for this build)

Healing signet, lightning flash, sigil of water, arcane shield, FGS (or tornado)

Dagger/dagger (milage may vary if you're stubborn and use focus offhand)

Sigil of cleansing, sigil of leeching

Sanctuary rune (essential! For this build to use this rune otherwise it's a really stupid build)

Full berserker or assassin's *don't use too much marauder or youll hit like a wet noodle* don't worry about vitality youll have a buttload of heals/barrier even with 0 healing power

Basically sanctuary rune gets procd by arcane abatement, your signet's which both can be used off cd for heals/barrier with the earth trait, sigil of leeching, heal signet , water attunement and potentially the dodge trait if you take it. So it's quite a lot of barrier just by rotating normally. You'll also do quite a lot of dmg since it's full zerk, and have good mobility with dagger evades and dagger offhand ride the lightning.

Lots of protection boon too on this build with the aura earth trait and air 3/water 4

Gl

Edited by solemn.9608