SD Holosmith Roaming (WvW)

Silinsar.6298

Some of you might have watched my old videos, some might not have. Well, I've been running SD for years with a bit of a HoT break in between and now I use it in conjunction with Holosmith. Enjoy.

If you want to point out specific mishaps please do so in the video commentaries with a time tag (I just don't like people saying "But this or that was not perfect and also these were probably bad players" without any context). Pointing to specific mistakes helps me improve. General nagging does not.

Cool video. Quick question though, why take streamlined kits over takedown round? Takedown round hits really hard on only a 10 second cd, and would add to your ranged burst setup. And it doesnt seem like swiftness is gonna help you much in a build without rocket boots. If its for escape your gonna get caught by most classes without Rocket Boots.

You're a snail without swiftness in combat, and TDR doesn't hit anyone with a brain (and you also don't really have any viable CC setups to use with it to ensure that it hits). Streamlined also gives you access to an immob trail or drop gunk, both pretty strong in PvP situations IMO.

@cat.8975 said:You're a snail without swiftness in combat, and TDR doesn't hit anyone with a brain (and you also don't really have any viable CC setups to use with it to ensure that it hits). Streamlined also gives you access to an immob trail or drop gunk, both pretty strong in PvP situations IMO.

I disagree about not hitting anyone with a brain. It's so small that no one ever notices it. It's consistent 3-5k hits against good players and bad players alike.

Nice video! SD is a complicated build and au did it great! Thumbs up.

TDR is an option that improves the damage wich is good but for me is only dps that dont give any extra utility, so I prefer LO underrated skill (dps output increase due vulnerability+reveal) or SK with swithness+CC to set better Ur dps.

I just turned the video off pretty quick, it was dull, first thing I see is two guys semi-AFK on a ruin, one has lost half his HP before he has even woken up, yawn, then the second bit I see you going to whack two guys whilst they are pre-occupied with a camp, at this point I stopped, just typical low quality uncompetitive, trash tier stuff that you expect in GW2 and WvW especially.

(NOTE: I am sure you are competent, I just mean the context, situation of what I see is trash tier, that a lot of players on camps/ruins are just doing daily / or in zerg builds, etc, and is a fine example of one of the reasons why GW2 has the size of a "competitive" playerbase it does and why the interest in a game like GW2 on things like Twitch is so low)

@Traveller.7496 said:Looks fun, I will try to roam a bit with my holosmith. Do you have recommendations for the build/gear?Linked in the video description ;)

@zinkz.7045 said:I just turned the video off pretty quick, it was dull, first thing I see is two guys semi-AFK on a ruin, one has lost half his HP before he has even woken up, yawn, then the second bit I see you going to whack two guys whilst they are pre-occupied with a camp, at this point I stopped, just typical low quality uncompetitive, trash tier stuff that you expect in GW2 and WvW especially.

(NOTE: I am sure you are competent, I just mean the context, situation of what I see is trash tier, that a lot of players on camps/ruins are just doing daily / or in zerg builds, etc, and is a fine example of one of the reasons why GW2 has the size of a "competitive" playerbase it does and why the interest in a game like GW2 on things like Twitch is so low)You could watch it a bit further. In the second fight the enemies weren't pre-occupied, they finished the camp and both had max HP. The chance of them being less attentive would have been higher had I waited longer after they finished with the camp (as people tend to tab out or gather from the nodes then).That said, you can't expect competitive level play from a WvW roaming video showing outnumbered footage. You don't beat multiple people of the same skill level with builds suited to fight you unless they make some serious mistakes or you abuse the situation (terrain, surprising them etc.) successfully (which is still only possible if your opponents allow you to do so). Successful outnumbered fights often include false decisions by enemies, e.g.:being over-aggressive, getting separated when chasing , eating too much damage while rezzing / not rezzing fast enough when there's the opportunity to do so, not managing their combined pressure correctly (allowing you to dodge high value skills of multiple opponents at the same time)...Getting surprised by a foe coming out of stealth is something you should be prepared for in WvW, especially when not moving. Ideally you're prepared to break stun, dodge and react to follow-up skills accordingly (which you can see me doing later in the video, although not 100% successfully as I got CC'd again after the stun break).Many victories I owe to the fact that most people, even if experienced, don't know how to properly deal with SD as it's not a build you see often. This often makes enemies seem less skilled than they actually are. Many people also don't know the PF skills in detail yet. The first reaction of most people is backing up, when they'd better defend themselves by counter-attacking. When you do some 1on1's and tell other players what to look out for they usually start to put up better fights.

@Nubu.6148 said:Great as always ! Thumps Up ! Keep the SD flag up ;) .Always^^

@Tools trait:I'll stick with Streamlined Kits, I like the reliable and full time swiftness access. Plus immobilize puddle is a decent CC.

• 7 months later...

@ninjambo.3784 said:Cool video. Quick question though, why take streamlined kits over takedown round? Takedown round hits really hard on only a 10 second cd, and would add to your ranged burst setup. And it doesnt seem like swiftness is gonna help you much in a build without rocket boots. If its for escape your gonna get caught by most classes without Rocket Boots.

Personaly I would go 100% of the times with Lock On, the 2 mid traitline. So good to reveal thieves, mesmers, good amount of vulnerability which helps a lot with damage, plus when it activates it procs kinetic battery as well.

I think of the 3 the best is Lock On, and it's divided into 2 pieces as well.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Really awesome to see a build running med kit.  I feel like Elixir H gets a bit overrated and people assume that Med Kit is inherently a group healing skill, but having your heal on such a short cd along with all the versatility that the kit itself provides is really great.

6 hours ago, Dahkeus.8243 said:

Really awesome to see a build running med kit.  I feel like Elixir H gets a bit overrated and people assume that Med Kit is inherently a group healing skill, but having your heal on such a short cd along with all the versatility that the kit itself provides is really great.

Elixir H is an excellent choice if your build needs protection

2 hours ago, Limbo.4087 said:

Elixir H is an excellent choice if your build needs protection

Yea, it's not bad and definitely makes sense for some builds, particularly when running alchemy.  I just think a lot of people overlook med kit because of how often H gets used in other builds.

2 hours ago, Dahkeus.8243 said:

Yea, it's not bad and definitely makes sense for some builds, particularly when running alchemy.  I just think a lot of people overlook med kit because of how often H gets used in other builds.

I think because med kit has the longest cast time of all heal utilities

• 11 months later...