HEY! Remember that time our PC have to join a Human-only club?

Ultramex.1506

5 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

That's not even the worst part about that story mission. The worst part is the execution of the initiation ritual - the very first time I watched it, I was crying tears of laughter and disbelief of how badly it was done (it's especially funny to see your short-sized Asura drown in the water tank 😂 ). Then, the theatric of the live role-playing part was certainly supposed to be funny but failed at that, because it's the f'ing Shining Blade (!) and you just can no longer take them seriously after that display of utter disrespect for that historical moment. :classic_rolleyes:

The writing for Livia was overdone, the execution of the ritual was plain hysterical, the only fun part was doing the achievements for the massacre scene and the facing-your-doubts scene.

Well the whole ending was bad too. Way to really not deliver a satisfying closure to that particular mystery left over from War in Kryta in GW1.

The whole episode was a joke.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Faridah.8431 said:

Well the whole ending was bad too. Way to really not deliver a satisfying closure to that particular mystery left over from War in Kryta in GW1.

The whole episode was a joke.

I'm often getting the impression that ArenaNet devs and writers are having a great time writing such nonsense in the belief that the humor on point.

It's like they are trying to copy the tongue-in-cheek style of shows like "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (where the humor and tongue-in-cheek dialogue works). They don't seem to get that Guild Wars is not Avatar: the player characters aren't kids, and when you go for such a tongue-in-cheek writing style, it has to be something that's been used from the very start, a constant pattern typical for the franchise, not randomly applied - otherwise it just ends up being ultra weird, embarassing and messing up the mood of the moment. Furthermore, they are completely overdoing it in GW2 (unlike A:TLA, where - by the way - the diction in general is also much better than what we get from many of the characters in GW2)

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

I'm often getting the impression that ArenaNet devs and writers are having a great time writing such nonsense in the belief that the humor on point.

It's like they are trying to copy the tongue-in-cheek style of shows like "Avatar: The Last Airbender" (where the humor and tongue-in-cheek dialogue works). They don't seem to get that Guild Wars is not Avatar: the player characters aren't kids, and when you go for such a tongue-in-cheek writing style, it has to be something that's been used from the very start, a constant pattern typical for the franchise, not randomly applied - otherwise it just ends up being ultra weird, embarassing and messing up the mood of the moment. Furthermore, they are completely overdoing it in GW2 (unlike A:TLA, where - by the way - the diction in general is also much better than what we get from many of the characters in GW2)

Well I don't know anything about Avatar The Last Airbender to comment on your analogy. 

From what I can tell, I am petty confident that Season 3 was supposed to end on Flashpoint, but then they figured out they could shoehorn in a 6th Episode. In doing so, figured, hey we can do something with the Mursaat. I don't think this was originally planned, and it showed it what we got which was a cobbled together mess by writers who probably didn't even understand the GW1 back-history to see how utterly ridiculous the episode was.

• Like 3

If they did end Ep5 with the expansion reveal then they could have easily skipped over this one, but as they didn't and most likely wanted to tie up the last "loose end" for the season, they did both at once, had us do this, then had us see the expac reveal. 

Question then, has she had the communicator this whole time? cause its not like we've heard her again. Really at this point I'm surprised the entire Dragons watch guild doesn't have their own communicators if we just give one to some random shining blade. 

• Like 2

What a lot of you seem to be forgetting is that the Commander took the sword (which was an aspect of Lazarus). We had already found an aspect of Lazarus in caudicus's room in episode 4 and gave it to the shining blade for "safe keeping", and here we are suddenly encountering a shining blade agent collecting these artifacts?

Seems a little sus. I probably wouldn't want to hand over the aspect without an explanation either.

Edited by Westenev.5289
  • Like 1

Even after replaying the episode years later, it was a chore. While intro mission was sort of interesting, thanks to the puzzles, the moment I meet the Livia, the fun is over. The entire episode feels like GW1-Fanservice. You have not played GW1? Either read about to lore or continue with confusion. 

The rituals remind me of a clubs, we had when we were children. Like having an own detective office to solve mysterious non-existent crimes in the neighborhood.  But those were actually fun. The little respect I ever had for Anise and her soldiers mostly vanished during the 'rituals'.

I sometimes pondered, in the heat of the combat of later encounters. What would have happened if Anise just entered the scene with a protal, claiming our oath to protect Kryta?

- On top of Kodash Bazar, coordinating the final blow on Balathazar with Aurene.

- While Palawa Joko had us immobilized, Anise grabs our neck, breaks us out of the hold and drags us through her portal. The Lich just standing there, shocked. His lower jaw drops, 'crack' breaks out of his skull, falls and shatters into a million pieces on the floor.

- In the Frost Citadel, while aiming for the roof with the bazooka. Sorry Efram, you have to figure out another entrance, gtg.

And what is this joke anyway. Opening mesmer portals across the entire planet? If it really is that easy, why we ever bothered boarding an airship in the first place? How we are going to enter Cantha? Probably a Mesmer portal from the Shining Blade! It becomes even more ridiculous if you think about the boat/ship we had to board to enter Siren's Landing. 

We have destroyed a lot of indestructible objects in GW2 so far. The aspects wouldn't have been much different. Why didn't the commander just stop by in Rata and asked Taimi - JUST IN CASE? In the worst case, we would have freed another Ley Anomaly by accident, killed it and then moved on to Siren's Landing. Even if Taimi didn't figure out a solution, the Priory would have for sure. But that would have ruined the GW1 fanservice. I just hope they will not do that again with Cantha. PoF was fun to play, even for non GW1 veterans. I hope so for EoD as well.