Gw2 on the steam deck?

8 minutes ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Similar performance, for next one or two gens of GPU (so 4-5 years) and it's dead in the water

People still buy the switch and that uses a 6 year old smartphone chip. Because valve wont upgrade the components in 5years.... You cant play AAA games on a budget gaming laptop anyways. Let alone one being 5 years old.

Except most indi games will run just fine or gw2 which is an 11 year old game. the steam deck can run cyberpunk btw. im sure it can run gw2 aswell especially in instances. Upgrading hardware doesnt really solve fps issues anyways. i have a highend gaming pc and cant get more than 30fps in some situations with 20% gpu usage and most cpu cores having almost no load and one being at 100%.

The gw2 engine is very outdated. at least they try to use dx11 now but dx11 doesnt bring full multicore support. Gw2 does run on linux quite well from what i've read. 
The steam deck is very cheap for what it offers. Not everyone wants to spend 1k on a gaming laptop and gaming laptops are very heavy anyways and not upgradeable aswell.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Nephalem.8921 said:

People still buy the switch and that uses a 6 year old smartphone chip.

Now look up Switch resolution and how Nintendo games look 🙂 Switch is far above Steam deck with game quality, popularity and portability by not being giant pan.

Except most indi games will run just fine or gw2 which is an 11 year old game

Steam deck has CPU that has specs offered as minimum recommended specs for game (cheapest one)

the steam deck can run cyberpunk btw

On 20 FPS, which is unacceptable to anything that claims to be PC gaming.

Also, steam deck not having keyboard is deal killed by default

• Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

On 7/21/2021 at 11:22 PM, lezbefriends.7516 said:

Steam deck is gonna flop, just look at Vita: great games, but it wasn’t Nintendo.

It's a tiny computer that can play any past, present and future game. It trumps Nintendo by a landslide. Nintendo should of stuck with it's highly portable handhelds instead of consoles~ I still like the 3DS design 100x more than Switch cuz how easy it is to take it everywhere outside. If ima carry a giant brick around I'd want it to be more useful, the Deck will be mainly used around the house, as the Switch would. 

Edited by Doggie.3184
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Doggie.3184 said:

It's a tiny computer that can play any past, present and future game. It trumps Nintendo by a landslide. Nintendo should of stuck with it's highly portable handhelds instead of consoles~ I still like the 3DS design 100x more than Switch cuz how easy it is to take it everywhere outside. If ima carry a giant brick around I'd want it to be more useful, the Deck will be mainly used around the house, as the Switch would. 

Sooooo.... like PC you already own? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having Steam deck? You can just use mobile phone with steam remote play for same effect, on better performance (if your PC is good) as well. Also, it runs Linux, so most past games will suck on it, and GW2 (I know for a fact) suffers quite a bit on Linux

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Sooooo.... like PC you already own? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having Steam deck? You can just use mobile phone with steam remote play for same effect, on better performance (if your PC is good) as well. Also, it runs Linux, so most past games will suck on it, and GW2 (I know for a fact) suffers quite a bit on Linux

You can never have too many PCs, honestly. They're too useful~ for work, play, parts, and etc. Also that arguement can be applied to consoles, including the Switch. I own a PC so I have 0 use for a console, but I'll always have use for more PCs. But the Deck can be moved around house (or outside) like a laptop without costing a massive fortune as most good laptops are double+ the price of a PC of same specs. My PC is gigantic and heavy and will never go outside the room it's in.

I'm not into mobile phones. And you can change the Deck OS if you want. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 2/9/2022 at 7:41 AM, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Similar performance, for next one or two gens of GPU (so 4-5 years) and it's dead in the water

So laptops, phones and anything else is "dead in the water" because there will be better versions in the next one or two gens?

No, not really. That's a weird argument to make to pretend somethings bad "because in the future there will be something better". It's also obviously different/arguably better (depending on ones needs and preferences) than just having any other console, since as it was pointed out above by others, this is not yet another console, but instead basically a handheld pc.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Confused 1

14 hours ago, Doggie.3184 said:

I think at least half of Nintendo's appeal is their 1st party games. A lot of people don't buy their consoles for the hardware but because they want the exclusive games. (Yes you can find some of them on PC but that involves dealing with a mess of illegal dowoads and questionable emulators.)

I do also use my Switch out the house and I appreciate the ability to do so, although it's definitely not as good for use on the go as a DS/3DS. (I mainly use it in other people's houses or hotel rooms.)

If I get a Stream Deck it won't replace my Switch, I'll use both for different games.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Also, it runs Linux, so most past games will suck on it, and GW2 (I know for a fact) suffers quite a bit on Linux

I don't know in which decade you stuck by Linux gaming is great for quite some Years now. I'm playing most recent AAA titles on release day running smoothly without any problems.

Gw2 suffers nothing under Linux. In fact it even runs far better than Windows because of kitten AMD drivers which are far more superior in Linux. (Open Source Mesa)

I switched 4 or 5 years ago to Linux and GW2 runs great. Just come over and I show you.

I'm mainly planning to play gw2 on the steam deck through steam link.

I've used my steam controller as my primary method to play gw2 since HoT. Steam I put provides and seemingly endless list of options for controls and with action cam I find it significantly better than mouse/keyboard. 

I've tested gw2 on Linux quite a bit and it's not that hard to get it running smoothly.  I ran it using Lutris though, never tried using proton to run it.

The system specs are likely able to run the game just fine. But since you are going to need a decent internet connection to play gw2 at all, I don't see why not just stream over steam link unless you are looking to play gw2 while away from home.

On 2/10/2022 at 1:27 AM, Sobx.1758 said:

So laptops, phones and anything else is "dead in the water" because there will be better versions in the next one or two gens?

No, not really. That's a weird argument to make to pretend somethings bad "because in the future there will be something better". It's also obviously different/arguably better (depending on ones needs and preferences) than just having any other console, since as it was pointed out above by others, this is not yet another console, but instead basically a handheld pc.

No, Steamdeck, like steam machines is. You buy laptop for multiple reasons, you buy steamdeck with steamOS, like steamamchine, to play games (steam machine was to double up for PC, so it had more going for it and failed). And if we go by how PC gaming dev cycle moves, Steamdeck, with its laptop insides will be screwed over in couple of years, just like laptops are. What is even worse - its not even on par with good gaming laptop even at launch (quadra core in 2022? Seriously????). If steam released gaming console, that is not basically laptop in different form factor, maybe I would say it has a future, like consoles (you pay for simplicity, support and future software a.k.a. games), but now.... It runs on very average hardware, with OS that is infamously bad with gaming, on translation layer (Proton) that will impact performance on many games, with abysmal game library compared to giant catalogue of games on steam. For all it is, I can say it is google glasses of gaming.

22 hours ago, Thelyron.3420 said:

I don't know in which decade you stuck by Linux gaming is great for quite some Years now. I'm playing most recent AAA titles on release day running smoothly without any problems.

Current. Let's go play Forza 5 on max settings 60+ fps

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

No, Steamdeck, like steam machines is. You buy laptop for multiple reasons, you buy steamdeck with steamOS, like steamamchine, to play games (steam machine was to double up for PC, so it had more going for it and failed). And if we go by how PC gaming dev cycle moves, Steamdeck, with its laptop insides will be screwed over in couple of years, just like laptops are. What is even worse - its not even on par with good gaming laptop even at launch (quadra core in 2022? Seriously????). If steam released gaming console, that is not basically laptop in different form factor, maybe I would say it has a future, like consoles (you pay for simplicity, support and future software a.k.a. games), but now.... It runs on very average hardware, with OS that is infamously bad with gaming, on translation layer (Proton) that will impact performance on many games, with abysmal game library compared to giant catalogue of games on steam. For all it is, I can say it is google glasses of gaming.

Yeah totally screwed unlike the desktop market where I can get readily available great graphics for good prices.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If i got the steam deck it would be mostly for my brother, who wants to play games with me, but is to young to get his own pc. My understanding you can get GW2 to work on linux through a crack to the steam deck- since it already comes with proton. 

The hardware argument for steam deck is awesome since a similar laptop will cost you a 1000 dollar laptop here in Canada, and pc you could build yourself, but not for most people who may mess it up. When i built my pc- Rx 5700, 2700x, 16 GB DDR4, AVR motherboard would cost around 4.5K if you buy it in a prebuilt, and it cost me 1300 with taxes, but i had 3 parts come DOA. Its not for everyone 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Bakeneko.5826 said:

Current. Let's go play Forza 5 on max settings 60+ fps

You know that it can run forza 5 on high with 60 fps right? and it hasnt even launched yet. one part you completely ignore is the price. it costs 400 bucks. be happy to find a laptop that can run hd youtube videos at that price. you cant even buy a graphic card for that price currently.

It can run most indi titles and emulate older consoles and even play some newer aaa titles. and it will most likely run gw2. if its powerful enough for witcher 3, forza and cyberpunk gw2 really shouldnt be that hard.

"its not even on par with good gaming laptop"

no joke it cant compete with a 1.7k gaming laptop. those kind of devices shouldnt really be called laptop since they weight upwards of 5kg and can only be used while plugged in to full potential and then they are very loud and hot.

• Sad 1