Kinda disappointed that just virtuoso got shown today

Kodama.6453

As badly as I want to see them all right now, I understand why they didn't considering they delayed the release. And as eager as I am to see Rev's stuff, it is fun to be teased a bit. I'm grateful we got the icons to speculate over at least. And Virtuoso gives me hope because it seems like it was designed with PvP and WvW balance in mind, unlike Mirage. Maybe CMC was there to keep the designers' fanciful ideas in check. One can hope it won't be quite the balance dumpsterfire that was PoF. I am also happy we get 4 total beta weekends with only 3 professions at a time. Gives them time for proper feedback and iteration.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gotejjeken.1267 said:

That was just hypothetical...the actual schedule is literal month's:

• Beta Event 1: August 17—August 21
  • Beta Event 2: September 21—September 25
  • Beta Event 3: October 26—October 30
  • Beta Event 4: November 30—December 4

So if you are spec 9 you won't know until around 11/30 what it actually is 😄

No, you’ll know the third week of October. Each of those beta events is for 3 of the elite specs, and then the fourth event is all 9. They stated as much on the stream yesterday.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2021 at 6:53 PM, Kodama.6453 said:

Was really hyped since I thought I would finally get to know the elite spec for my main (engineer) and which weapons to craft for the expansion, but here we are, mesmer got a sneak peek for their elite spec and can start getting their daggers while the rest of us has to wait for months to get any idea about what to expect for their classes. =/ Am really let down by this right now.

Be positive.  Virtuoso is  the less complex specialization. For that reason they was able to show it sooner. All the rest ones will be better. It's a PvE dynamic events farmer.  It has no stun breaks in its skills, no mobility, no boon or modifier share,  no sustain, nothing. It's a pure dps to farm easy events.  It will not even able to solo a decent PvE boss... and less a PvP fight.  It what it is. The good thing for Arenanet is that no complains will be in competitive forums lol  The Virtuoso is an ignorable thing only good for a niche game mode and very dependent in the game modes of the support others give to him because, apart from the damage, it does not contribute anything to the team, it does not share boons, or modifiers or defense or anything, it is a cow poop.

I put it in the mesmer forum but this is:

• WvW:  Only while zergs don't fight close, then you'll be the target one to kill and erase your dps with no defense or sustain. Free kill for roamers and snipers too.
  • PvP: forget it.
  • T3-T4 fractals:  forget it, you bring nothing to the team, no support, no quickness, no might share nothing. Only selfish dps.
  • PvE solo and hardcore content:  NO!!!  Without clones and sustain NO!!! You'll be focused and killed ASAP even against average bosses or a number of mobs mix.
  • PvE casual farming with good AoE:  that is its natural environment and what it brings on the table  for mesmers. A better cleave and AoE dps. That is... but only selfish and without share boons or other things to make your team play better unless some trait add some might maybe... or maybe not and only % damage modifiers... It is what it is.

So you lost nothing interesting in that matter.  Also they must spread the information from now up to the expansion release...  So we will probably receive it in intervals...

But sure that you and Arenanet are happy to not have to get worried by the next mesmer thing in PvP and WvW 😜 No one will complain against a useless thing there. It will be a free kill, so have fun targeting them if you find one. lol

Edited by Zoser.7245
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Zoser.7245 said:

T3-T4 fractals:  forget it, you bring nothing to the team, no support, no quickness, no might share nothing. Only selfish dps.

That's not going to exclude it from being played there. While it might not become part of the fractal meta, there are other classes in a similar boat for fractals (namely that they don't bring any team support), those being Weaver, Holosmith, Daredevil, and Deadeye. If you join a regular T4 (maybe even CM) group looking for DPS with any of those classes, they're not likely to kick you, even if a Soulbeast or Dragonhunter/Firebrand offers a lot more team support. Same is true for raids.

Ultimately we'll need to wait until the traits come out before passing final judgement on anything, since an overloaded traitline with passive cleansing, healing, and aegis (as it seemed from the preview that blocking was a thing on multiple skills) would definitely make it viable in competetive gamemodes. But I do worry that ANet have gone too far the other way with this set of elite specs after the complaints about PoF ones, and have made some of them bad to play as a result.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Zoser.7245 said:

Be positive.  Virtuoso is  the less complex specialization. For that reason they was able to show it sooner. All the rest ones will be better. It's a PvE dynamic events farmer.  It has no stun breaks in its skills, no mobility, no boon or modifier share,  no sustain, nothing. It's a pure dps to farm easy events.  It will not even able to solo a decent PvE boss... and less a PvP fight.  It what it is. The good thing for Arenanet is that no complains will be in competitive forums lol  The Virtuoso is an ignorable thing only good for a niche game mode and very dependent in the game modes of the support others give to him because, apart from the damage, it does not contribute anything to the team, it does not share boons, or modifiers or defense or anything, it is a cow poop.

I put it in the mesmer forum but this is:

• WvW:  Only while zergs don't fight close, then you'll be the target one to kill and erase your dps with no defense or sustain. Free kill for roamers and snipers too.
  • PvP: forget it.
  • T3-T4 fractals:  forget it, you bring nothing to the team, no support, no quickness, no might share nothing. Only selfish dps.
  • PvE solo and hardcore content:  NO!!!  Without clones and sustain NO!!! You'll be focused and killed ASAP even against average bosses or a number of mobs mix.
  • PvE casual farming with good AoE:  that is its natural environment and what it brings on the table  for mesmers. A better cleave and AoE dps. That is... but only selfish and without share boons or other things to make your team play better unless some trait add some might maybe... or maybe not and only % damage modifiers... It is what it is.

So you lost nothing interesting in that matter.  Also they must spread the information from now up to the expansion release...  So we will probably receive it in intervals...

But sure that you and Arenanet are happy to not have to get worried by the next mesmer thing in PvP and WvW 😜 No one will complain against a useless thing there. It will be a free kill, so have fun targeting them if you find one. lol

First of all, it's funny you tell me to stay positive while bashing Virtuoso for being useless in your idea. We don't have the full picture, you claim it shares no boons and just brings ranged damage to the table, but we didn't even see the traits yet at all. There might be alot more going on in the traits than you are aware.

About it not having a stunbreak: I think it will have a stunbreak. Keep in mind that they failed to show us the toolbelt of the skill "Psychic Force", the skill which pushes everything around you away. It had a very long cooldown, so I would guess that this one is going to be a stunbreak. The push alone does not warrant such a long cooldown and in functionality, it would make sense for it to be a stunbreak. All elite specs always got 1 new stunbreak in their utility skills, we have no reason to believe that this will change for Virtuoso.

And btw: Getting your spec revealed later does not mean it is better designed or more complex or anything like that. Back then when they created Heart of Thorns, Scrapper was one of the very last elite specs showcased to us and it was neither complex, nor a good design or anything like this.

In fact, Scrapper got shown last because they finished it last since they completely redesigned it from the ground somewhere in development. And it still wasn't ready to show when they were forced to, it was a poor and rushed job.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 10:56 PM, Vennyhedgie.5369 said:

Mesmer is by far one of the classes I play the least and I'm honestly kind of annoyed it always get the lovechild treatment with anet

🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

• Like 2

I think they've chosen to show the e-spec over such a long time because it allow them to keep players hooked for a longer time.

That said it's a risky move that can very well backfire on them.

Also, they've presented a very specific glass canon build for the virtuoso and we basically know nothing about it's traits. People are assuming that it's a plain power dps e-spec but with the right trait choices, virtuoso could very well become something totally different.

The skill tooltips all focus on the fact that the skills generate "blades", just like engineer have many tooltips indicating that their skills generate "explosions". The Explosive traitline show that they use such tooltips as a springboard to attach all kind of effects to the skills. For all we know, a trait could allow "blades" to heal around the foes they hit for example, allowing the virtuoso to have a pretty strong healing build.

Basically, Anet showed us how the virtuoso looked but not it's depth. And personally I find this fact as frustrating as not knowing the other e-specs.

Edit: Even the elite skill of the virtuoso is basically unknown because the tootip state that the skill is different bsed on the gamemode.

Edited by Dadnir.5038
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Edit: Even the elite skill of the virtuoso is basically unknown because the tootip state that the skill is different bsed on the gamemode.

Considering that all the elite skill does is damage, it is pretty safe to assume that "different based on the gamemode" just means that it will deal less damage in PvP/WvW than it deals in PvE.

5 minutes ago, Kodama.6453 said:

Considering that all the elite skill does is damage, it is pretty safe to assume that "different based on the gamemode" just means that it will deal less damage in PvP/WvW than it deals in PvE.

Then they can very well add the tooltip to every single skill in the game. I don't think this tooltip is there for nothing like you seem to suggest.

17 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

Then they can very well add the tooltip to every single skill in the game. I don't think this tooltip is there for nothing like you seem to suggest.

No offense, but.... it seems you never noticed that this tooltip is already used exactly like this in the game. I can point you to many examples:

• Big Ol' Bomb: Has the tooltip, literally the only difference is the damage dealt.
  • Grenade Barrage: Has the tooltip, again, just different damage numbers, nothing else.
  • Explosive Entrance: Has the tooltip, guess what, just the damage number changes.

The tooltip is added to every single skill which has no other difference in the game mode besides other damage numbers. I can go on and on with examples.

Edited by Kodama.6453

2 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

In fact, Scrapper got shown last because they finished it last since they completely redesigned it from the ground somewhere in development. And it still wasn't ready to show when they were forced to, it was a poor and rushed job

Well, Druid was showcased last. Probably had some redesigns as well.

Either way, I can do without the showcases for a while, I just want a teaser image with the weapon.

Edited by Lazze.9870

21 minutes ago, Lazze.9870 said:

Well, Druid was showcased last. Probably had some redesigns as well.

Either way, I can do without the showcases for a while, I just want a teaser image with the weapon.

Yeah, I would also like a teaser image, just to eliminate the theory that the 8th icon is supposed to be engineer. It looks bad, indicates power damage (engineer needs a CONDI spec, desperately!) and many people assume golemancer as the spec, which is the very last thing I want to see for engineer.

3 hours ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

We know mechanics cannot change between modes for skills, only numbers can be adjusted. Granted, that can dramatically alter it's use rate and/or how it is used in any one mode, but the skill otherwise remains essentially the same. 

11 hours ago, Kodama.6453 said:

First of all, it's funny you tell me to stay positive while bashing Virtuoso for being useless in your idea. We don't have the full picture, you claim it shares no boons and just brings ranged damage to the table, but we didn't even see the traits yet at all. There might be alot more going on in the traits than you are aware.

About it not having a stunbreak: I think it will have a stunbreak. Keep in mind that they failed to show us the toolbelt of the skill "Psychic Force", the skill which pushes everything around you away. It had a very long cooldown, so I would guess that this one is going to be a stunbreak. The push alone does not warrant such a long cooldown and in functionality, it would make sense for it to be a stunbreak. All elite specs always got 1 new stunbreak in their utility skills, we have no reason to believe that this will change for Virtuoso.

And btw: Getting your spec revealed later does not mean it is better designed or more complex or anything like that. Back then when they created Heart of Thorns, Scrapper was one of the very last elite specs showcased to us and it was neither complex, nor a good design or anything like this.

In fact, Scrapper got shown last because they finished it last since they completely redesigned it from the ground somewhere in development. And it still wasn't ready to show when they were forced to, it was a poor and rushed job.

Not as useless as that guy implies, but it certainly doesn't offer any new that mesmer don't have, all it has is quality of life in that your ammo now don't disappear target dying and thus a better burst. From the current state of virtuoso, all it going to do is replace power chrono, which left chrono with nothing unless anet give chrono its supportive capabilities back in another way (actual heal chrono when?). Even the shatter are just the old shatter that is reskinned but your can't instant cast and dry shatter.

Also just how often do you see deadeye with fire for effect that is actually successful, they too offer nothing but damage on their weapon skills and utility skills but have a trait that allow them to give boons but the end result of that is just so bad so no one actually use it.